Pick #27 Rashaad Penny RB

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Watch the Stanford tape and we'll talk about competition. There was another one against a big school that he rocked, but I don't recall at the moment. I was scouting backs months ago.

hawkcrazzed

Reaction score
after watching his highlight reel guy can catch and flat out fly not sure on his blocking he has wiggle not sure what is not to like about him other then where we took him

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":2g0eanjs said:
Ignore the whining, this is a great pick for so many reasons.

Personally, I LOVE this pick, and I'm glad they grabbed him because I highly doubt he would have been there much longer... somebody was going to take this guy because he's one of those players who's better than his NFL scout ranking.

I think he's the best RB I've seen the Seahawks draft in a very long time, perhaps only exceeded by Curt Warner and Shaun Alexander, and I think he makes at least 2 pro-bowls with this team.

Here is the THING about Penny.

When he's hit, he doesn't go down... he played behind an offensive line that was nowhere near as good as the other lines you see with the other backs being drafted.

KEY STAT:

Rating the 58 backs avaialbe by how they did when they got hit behind the line of scrimmage?

Barkley was almost dead last in this draft class -- he only averaged .46 years per carry when he was hit behind the line of scrimmage.

Penny was #1 -- he averaged 3.32 yards per carry when hit behind the line of scrimmage.

The last NFL running back to come into the draft averaging over 3 yards per carry when hit behind the LOS?

Marshawn Lynch ....

Just saying...

Man get out of here with your facts. Mob mentality and overreaction is the .net way. :17:

vin.couve12

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":19iji272 said:
Ignore the whining, this is a great pick for so many reasons.

Personally, I LOVE this pick, and I'm glad they grabbed him because I highly doubt he would have been there much longer... somebody was going to take this guy because he's one of those players who's better than his NFL scout ranking.

I think he's the best RB I've seen the Seahawks draft in a very long time, perhaps only exceeded by Curt Warner and Shaun Alexander, and I think he makes at least 2 pro-bowls with this team.

Here is the THING about Penny.

When he's hit, he doesn't go down... he played behind an offensive line that was nowhere near as good as the other lines you see with the other backs being drafted.

KEY STAT:

Rating the 58 backs avaialbe by how they did when they got hit behind the line of scrimmage?

Barkley was almost dead last in this draft class -- he only averaged .46 years per carry when he was hit behind the line of scrimmage.

Penny was #1 -- he averaged 3.32 yards per carry when hit behind the line of scrimmage.

The last NFL running back to come into the draft averaging over 3 yards per carry when hit behind the LOS?

Marshawn Lynch ....

Just saying...
Great post!

vin.couve12

Reaction score
My knee jerk was that this was too high, but I myself said that Barkley, Michel, and Penny were the top 3. All playoff teams last year and almost every year run the ball except for the Pats. Top 3 backs are now off the board and the Hawks got one of those top 3 backs.

That said, I think the whole reach/round (no pun intended) probably needs to be put to bed. There will be a run of backs in the 2nd round with teams trying to make life easier on their QBs.

Rainger

Reaction score
Hawks have not drafted well since 2012 when Pete still knew all the college players available and their hidden talents.

Please don't give me that JS is some great draft nik. He has done very little since Pete lost his inside track on the players he originally recruited or looked at.

I do think he is a good back. BUT wont do any good unless this team addresses the OL which they have ignored for like 6 years or more!

vin.couve12

Reaction score
One of the best things about this is the fact that it concretes emphasis on the run game and all the pro passing QB WR, vaginal patty cake football loving fans that want to watch flag football.....you just gotta eat it. Or maybe suck on it....

AzHawker

Reaction score
Terrible. All the talent sitting there and all the needs like corner back or offensive line I mean cmon?!
So Carson,Davis and procise are so bad we need to
waste a first round pick? Seriously.. And how the pats go
to the superbowl and still have 2 first round picks??

vin.couve12

Reaction score
AzHawker":504v1pwl said:
Terrible. All the talent sitting there and all the needs like corner back or offensive line I mean cmon?!
The Pats picked Sony Michel right after that soooooo.....

Wartooth

Reaction score
Reach huh? He would have been gone early second round...
I see what Pete and John see, a great back who can be coached up to be even better.
Oh! And this... 'In addition to raw skill, there’s unique durability. He never missed a game in his career.'
Great Pick!
Go Hawks!

adeltaY

Reaction score
vin.couve12":2ezy4uo7 said:
AzHawker":2ezy4uo7 said:

Mistake on their part IMO. I'm sure Michel will be great for them, but they can basically plug and play RBs as long as their line is good and Brady's under center. They could've taken Landry to bolster their weak defense.

Also, hearing Penny is weak in pass pro, which means he'll fit right in! :mrgreen:

vin.couve12

Reaction score
adeltaY":1hnvmykh said:
vin.couve12":1hnvmykh said:
AzHawker":1hnvmykh said:

Mistake on their part IMO. I'm sure Michel will be great for them, but they can basically plug and play RBs as long as their line is good and Brady's under center. They could've taken Landry to bolster their weak defense.

Also, hearing Penny is weak in pass pro, which means he'll fit right in! :mrgreen:

RBs changed the landscape of the NFL last year more than any other single position. Jouneyman and backup QBs went deep into the playoffs last year with consistent running games and the Pats no longer have a real true runner. They have a lot of pass catching RBs and they lost the superbowl to a team that ran all over them and beat them with their backup QB.

EDIT: Also, Carson is a monster of a pass blocker.

Wolfepack

Reaction score
This might be late by the time I get it posted but I’m listening to JS & PC on 710 at the same time as I’m reading these posts. 2 important things they mentioned were:

1) JS said they were so high on him that would’ve picked him at #18. They were just blessed to trade back with GB and get him at #27.

2) JS said that soon after they picked Penny, they had another team contact them to acquire him. So there’s a chance we wouldn’t be able to get him later, even if they traded back to the 2nd (which they said they weren’t going to do).

hoxrox

Reaction score
Like the pick, especially if this means a return to smash-mouth, time of possession type of football that keeps our defense off the field, and rested.

Could he have been drafted in the second round via trade down? Who knows. Third round? Doubtful.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
I'm over the initial shock of the pick but don't they say the same thing every year. Oh we had a team say that was their pick etc etc. Seems like this same story comes out every time.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
Wolfepack":19qh0ju6 said:
This might be late by the time I get it posted but I’m listening to JS & PC on 710 at the same time as I’m reading these posts. 2 important things they mentioned were:

1) JS said they were so high on him that would’ve picked him at #18. They were just blessed to trade back with GB and get him at #27.

2) JS that soon after they picked Penny, they had another team contact them to acquire him. So there’s a chance we wouldn’t even had a chance to get him later, even if we traded back to the 2nd (which they said they weren’t going to do).
Yep, I just heard that also. Penny's a stud. Not sure why so many are peeved about this pick. This was an absolute need for this team. If he's their guy, you can't fault them for sticking to their guns. People can talk up Barkley all they want, but looking at this from a PURE RB perspective, Penny is the better ALL AROUND back. Penny was a great pick.

BamKam

Reaction score
So let me get this straight people think this is an awful pick because people like Kiper and Mcshay (who they make fun of and call hacks) have this guy as a 3rd round pick? LOL 12s gonna 12

I’m glad they had the balls to finally draft a running back high. This is the one they had the best evaluated so I’ll let it play out.