Please re-up Sheldon Richardson

hawkfan68

Reaction score
HawkFan72":k1n3wlew said:
I would love for the Hawks to find a way to keep him. He is a rare talent that the Hawks have been looking for for a long time.
:ditto: x3

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
nanomoz":1w6005s9 said:
509hawk":1w6005s9 said:
sdog1981":1w6005s9 said:
Who are you going to cut this offseason to make that happen? Avril? Bennett? Kam? I would like to keep him too but it will be at the expense of one of the old dogs.

I would be fine losing one of them to keep Richardson

The Hawks are scheduled to have $25-30 million in cap space. No one needs to be "cut." This whole song and dance is uninformed, and this fact is constantly pointed out, yet people keep on with it. So GD tiring.

The real issue is Clark will want a new deal and both he and Richardson are going to command $15m/yr+. So if we sign both guys we are looking at $55-70m tied up in Wilson and those 2 guys. I think it is going to be a hugw shock if we sign both. We do have a lot of cap space but we also have a lot of guys who are FA aftwr this season. It will be interesting that's for sure.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Clark is signed through 2018. I don't want to make that a problem before it actually is one. By then, a few high contracts could be off the books; plus, the cap is still scheduled to increase at that point.

Sheldon will probably command $12-17 million per year, yes. No argument there. If they want to re-sign both Sheldon and Jimmy Graham, 2018 will get a little more tricky. But I don't see Graham re-signing, honestly.

Joeckel is improving enough that he could be a higher priority re-signing than anticipated. Ditto Paul Richardson if he stays healthy. But signing both would probably be cheaper than re-signing Graham.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
nanomoz":fy344b7q said:
Clark is signed through 2018. I don't want to make that a problem before it actually is one. By then, a few high contracts could be off the books; plus, the cap is still scheduled to increase at that point.

Sheldon will probably command $12-17 million per year, yes. No argument there. If they want to re-sign both Sheldon and Jimmy Graham, 2018 will get a little more tricky. But I don't see Graham re-signing, honestly.

Joeckel is improving enough that he could be a higher priority re-signing than anticipated. Ditto Paul Richardson if he stays healthy. But signing both would probably be cheaper than re-signing Graham.

They have a history of extending guys with a year left on their rookie deal. You run the risk of Clark holding out if you don't continue the trend. Also, if Richardson continues to play like he has, no way he signs for less than $17m per.

evergreen

Reaction score
sdog1981":106njxik said:
Who are you going to cut this offseason to make that happen? Avril? Bennett? Kam? I would like to keep him too but it will be at the expense of one of the old dogs.
As it should be.

Atradees

Reaction score
We will take DE first overall, Sheldon, Malik, Clark.

Sheldon has great hands. The run backs were awesome.

RussB

Reaction score
Dudes a brick wall and gets pressure up the middle. I remember on one play gurley ran right into him and it looked like he ran into a wall lmao

nanomoz

Reaction score
EverydayImRusselin":rxoacocx said:
nanomoz":rxoacocx said:

They have a history of extending guys with a year left on their rookie deal. You run the risk of Clark holding out if you don't continue the trend. Also, if Richardson continues to play like he has, no way he signs for less than $17m per.

They have a history of extending before a contract expires, that doesn't preclude leaving the last year of a contract in place--as has often been the case.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
nanomoz":2g055xw6 said:
EverydayImRusselin":2g055xw6 said:
nanomoz":2g055xw6 said:

They have a history of extending before a contract expires, that doesn't preclude leaving the last year of a contract in place--as has often been the case.

I don't see it. Guys that are studs get new deals a year eaely. Russ, Sherman, Kam, Bennett, Britt. JS is a magician so I'm sure he will figure it out but I don't currently see how.

Seafan

Reaction score
Resigning could be a problem if he shoots for the moon. If it's about $15 mil than it might be possible. Avril, Graham, Lane. Done.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
He certainly had a nose for the ball today. He rose to the challenge.

sutz

Reaction score
Took him a couple of weeks to get up to speed with his new pals, but definitely. Like was said earlier in the thread, he's the kind of player you don't let walk away.

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
I like what I see from Richardson and I know his history, but I need to see more. Right now, I still keep a healthy Bennett and Avril over him. If by seasons end though Richardson has kept up his level of play at his current level? I let one of the old dogs walk.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
sdog1981":9mmc435r said:

Cut Avril and Kam, re-up Clark, Richardson, and McDougald.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Rather sign a decent LT and keep the offense on the field.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
sdog1981":wvinayuo said:

We need to let go or trade Bennet or Avril if the cap allows it. They are both 31 right now and Richardson is only 26. Add him to Clark who is 24, Reed who is 24, Nazir Jones who is 22, Marcus Smith who is 25, and McDowell hopefully who is 21. We are allready fairly young and I can see Bennet or Avril getting pushed out later this year or into next year by our youth.

I would be suprised if Graham is resigned which should free up some space, and then I guess maybe they could let Lane go, or maybe Lacys contract too...Isnt he making like 5 mil this year

flmmkrz

Reaction score
S Rich is a must re-sign, what a beast. I'd be fine with losing Kam or Lane or god forbid if Avrils career is over that frees up some but whatever wrangling needs to be done there has got to be a way. Kam to me has looked a shell of himself, maybe he lines people up and holds them accountable or is the level head what have you but his on field performance is lacking, when was the last time we saw him take someones soul, and set the tone out there, every week it seems hes on the wrong end of a highlight reel play against, they throw over him, he took the wrong angle. took out our other star safety (had to say it lol), just looks slow and out of place too many times. I didn't say every time but he's living off years past and that contract is gonna be a liability going forward if not already. Get big Frank done too, that speed rush he put on Whitworth, wow.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
sdog1981":5e92j6cz said:

I believe you said the answer yourself. Out with the old, in with the new. Perhaps Avril or Bennett but as someone else mentioned, if Graham is not re-signed, Sheldon would likely be priority #1 to keep on this team if he keeps wreaking havoc for the QB like he did today. If his production continues, they will certainly find a way.

Fade

Reaction score
The Hawks will have around $30M in cap space in the off-season. The only players that will be cut will be the under performing ones (not stars), such as Jeremy Lane, which will free up even more space. If Sheldon Richardson re-signed cap space would not be an issue due to year 1 of contracts having a relatively low cap number compared to yr 2,3,4 etc.

What it will come down to is who will offer the most $$$, and will Seattle be willing to franchise tag him if they feel like they will get out bid before FA starts.

On the open market imo he's as good as gone. Desperate, poorly run teams will throw so much money around the Hawks won't have a chance. PCJS never have used the Franchise tag, but this is a case where it is necessary.

Frank Clark & Sheldon Richardson are the teams foundational pieces on Def going forward. 24 & 26 years old a piece. Combined with Reed, Malik, and Naz, Seattle could be boasting the best young D-Line in all of football.

Clark & Richardson are priority #1a 1b for me once the off-season begins.

TLDR: Franchise tag will be necessary to retain him. The Hawks have the cap space to do so, no one "good" needs to be cut to make room for him.

Josea16

Reaction score
hawk45":2hdcx0lc said:
co-signed. Richardson and Clark are the future, and I'm looking forward to those two.
For the third time the place is rebuilding the from inside to outside. We already have Richardson and Jones....pretty solid right? McDowell seems to not actually dead......and well seems we have plenty of edge/outside rush options.

You score TWO pass rush DT's at the same time? Not buying It. Luckily we aren't a buyer anymore. Because of Pete we will draft 3 elite DE's before Walter Jones or Shaun Alexander. Enjoy the show....Rams vs. Seahawks, offense vs.defense. Round One....Seahawks. Round Two is coming soon. I love that the Rams are back. Arrogant assholes they are. 10 points Rams fans...10.