Please re-up Sheldon Richardson

DJ_CJ

Reaction score
All for resigning. Young athletic big man. Perfect locker room for him. Was in a bad situation before when called out guys for quitting on the team. Sadly, I really think Avril is done and absolutely can not blame him walking away even if cleared, thats scary. Clark and Richardson together could nasty for years. Richardson's going to get paid regardless but coming here and seeing our operation leads me to think takes a deal for slightly lesser than the open market would make him to stay here. And sorry not sorry I hope we resign Jimmy. Players here taunted him with the Saints, "soft" got tossed around... all I know is a patella tendon tear, all while teammates visited/encouraged him everyday on rehab, has ended careers and dude came back from it in 10 months without camp and nearly had 1k yards... bad scheming/utilizing... run seams/posts yet mostly underneaths and check downs... some bad drops yes, also nothing new in our history of receivers over the years... anyone thinking that guy was coming her and going to be Saints numbers is absolutely asinine thinking with our system... guy being on the field alone demands attention to open others... all while guy came here after being fed every game prior and doesn't bitch about targets just wants to win

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

peppersjap

Reaction score
His attitude sounded very good after the game. He talked about how much he was enjoying being here but he said his numbers weren't what they should be yet. Seemed very happy to be here but I get that he wasn't happy in NY!

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
hawk45":3pxnx3n7 said:
sdog1981":3pxnx3n7 said:
Who are you going to cut this offseason to make that happen? Avril? Bennett? Kam? I would like to keep him too but it will be at the expense of one of the old dogs.

Avril or Bennett, given their age. It's a tough call but the right one.
I think both could be done.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
Mistashoesta":3or7bwn5 said:
I like what I see from Richardson and I know his history, but I need to see more. Right now, I still keep a healthy Bennett and Avril over him. If by seasons end though Richardson has kept up his level of play at his current level? I let one of the old dogs walk.

Too much sentiment. Bennett is still good but he's not the same player he used to be.

The patriots keep a consistently solid defense by not keeping old players too long..

One of the complaints is our defense is supposedly long in the tooth. Richardson would give us some young talent to makeup for some disappointing draft picks.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
nanomoz":2qxbdfsh said:
509hawk":2qxbdfsh said:
sdog1981":2qxbdfsh said:
Who are you going to cut this offseason to make that happen? Avril? Bennett? Kam? I would like to keep him too but it will be at the expense of one of the old dogs.

I would be fine losing one of them to keep Richardson

The Hawks are scheduled to have $25-30 million in cap space. No one needs to be "cut." This whole song and dance is uninformed, and this fact is constantly pointed out, yet people keep on with it. So GD tiring.

They’re set to have just under 20 million in cap space, but only have 36 players under contract. To just fill out the roster with minimum level contracts will cost about 8 million of that 20 million.

If he was willing to take the same contract that Malik Jackson took from the Jags a couple years ago (6/85) they could squeeze him under in year 1 (10 million), but that means 1) he’d have to take that (he’s worth more than what Malik Jackson got before the ‘16 season, IMO), and all other FAs walking and being replaced with drafted players and NFL minimum contracts.

TBF this is without knowing how much the cap will go up, so maybe they could give him 12-13 in year one and have a 2-3 million over minimum contracts to fill out the rest of the roster.

The real way you make it work and make your entire offseason not just resigning Richardson is to cut Avril, or in the very least Lane (although I’d guess they’d rather wait another year to do that instead of taking on the 2.5 million in dead money for doing it this offseason)

Josea16

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":44ze4wbz said:
hawk45":44ze4wbz said:
sdog1981":44ze4wbz said:

Avril or Bennett, given their age. It's a tough call but the right one.
I think both could be done.
Likely will be done. Good DT's are not just found UFDA like everything beyond elite offensive linemen or elite quarterbacks.

Yeah, the kind that win NFL games with a high school OL and no running game. Goff and Gurley my ass.

Josea16

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2rth7efr said:
nanomoz":2rth7efr said:
509hawk":2rth7efr said:
sdog1981":2rth7efr said:

The Hawks are scheduled to have $25-30 million in cap space. No one needs to be "cut." This whole song and dance is uninformed, and this fact is constantly pointed out, yet people keep on with it. So GD tiring.

They’re set to have just under 20 million in cap space, but only have 36 players under contract. To just fill out the roster with minimum level contracts will cost about 8 million of that 20 million.

If he was willing to take the same contract that Malik Jackson took from the Jags a couple years ago (6/85) they could squeeze him under in year 1 (10 million), but that means 1) he’d have to take that (he’s worth more than what Malik Jackson got before the ‘16 season, IMO), and all other FAs walking and being replaced with drafted players and NFL minimum contracts.
Do you prefer defense or offense? I prefer what is being attempted if Wilson is healthy. Risky? Yes, but it's better then Kansas City's approach in my opinion.

The guy is given nothing yet dukes it out with supposed best and wins more then loses.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
hawk45":cbg4cgq6 said:
co-signed. Richardson and Clark are the future, and I'm looking forward to those two.

AGREED.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^^if it was me? I’d rather cut Avril (Clark is ready to start) which gets you half way to Richardson, or distribute the money that goes to Richardson to three or four guys who slip through the cracks of the market.

That’s not really the way the Seahawks do things though. They love their superstars.

Josea16

Reaction score
Popeyejones":7hw6rbty said:
nanomoz":7hw6rbty said:
509hawk":7hw6rbty said:
sdog1981":7hw6rbty said:

TBF this is without knowing how much the cap will go up, so maybe they could give him 12-13 in year one and have a 2-3 million over minimum contracts to fill out the rest of the roster.

The real way you make it work and make your entire offseason not just resigning Richardson is to cut Avril, or in the very least Lane (although I’d guess they’d rather wait another year to do that instead of taking on the 2.5 million in dead money for doing it this offseason)
Lane is easy. Avril and Bennett will hurt but it's fine. Given Clark, McDowell and Jones.

massari

Reaction score
Fade":2vi3wp4y said:
The Hawks will have around $30M in cap space in the off-season. The only players that will be cut will be the under performing ones (not stars), such as Jeremy Lane, which will free up even more space. If Sheldon Richardson re-signed cap space would not be an issue due to year 1 of contracts having a relatively low cap number compared to yr 2,3,4 etc.

What it will come down to is who will offer the most $$$, and will Seattle be willing to franchise tag him if they feel like they will get out bid before FA starts.

On the open market imo he's as good as gone. Desperate, poorly run teams will throw so much money around the Hawks won't have a chance. PCJS never have used the Franchise tag, but this is a case where it is necessary.

Frank Clark & Sheldon Richardson are the teams foundational pieces on Def going forward. 24 & 26 years old a piece. Combined with Reed, Malik, and Naz, Seattle could be boasting the best young D-Line in all of football.

Clark & Richardson are priority #1a 1b for me once the off-season begins.

TLDR: Franchise tag will be necessary to retain him. The Hawks have the cap space to do so, no one "good" needs to be cut to make room for him.
Definitely looking like he'll be franchised for at least one season. Maybe two. Future looks bright for the DL...hopefully Jordan and M.Smith can add to that...

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Especially if Cliff retires, use that $ to get Sheldon signed long term. One hell of an addition to the team.
And Clark is a beast, so we're in good hands there.

ludakrishna

Reaction score
Cut Mike Bennett, let go Jimmy and Cliff retires. We'll have money to resign SR and Frank. It's obvious that MB has lost a step. Cut our losses sooner and give his reps to a Naz Jones and let him develop.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
Sheldon Richardson benefits from what Bennett and others bring to the table. Saying we should get rid of Bennett is a poor representation of what is actually reflected on film. Now if cutting Bennett is influenced by some sort of bias towards him based on off the field stuff fine. But he's a huge member of that D-line.

:vodka: We should be more thankful for our depth rather than looking for who we can cut

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
I'd be fine with it so long as there are several corresponding cuts of aging defensive players. I want to see the team's spending between offense and defense get closer to 50-50. It will be hard to see some of those guys go but it has to happen

original poster

Reaction score
I'm all for resigning both Frank and Sheldon, although with the money D-Line guys at getting these days it will impact other areas.

Focussing purely on D-Line here -

(These are cap figures for 2018, not this year)

PS - Sheldon Richardson obviously isn't under contract for 2018 so I am using his 2017 cap hit for this post.

Michael Bennett - $7,237,500
Cliff Avril - $8,000,000
Frank Clark - $1,187,527
Sheldon Richardson - $8,069,000

Let's assume Cliff Avril is done and won't be on the team next year.

I think Frank Clark will take a slight discount to stay in Seattle given he was a risk and the team believed in him.

I can see Frank getting £12-14 million and Sheldon wanting £14-16 million, all of a sudden what were currently paying CA, MB and FC combined accounts for our one DT. The cap is increasing but thats hard to swallow.

Moving forward perhaps after the 2018 season I can see our D-Line looking something like this -

Frank Clark - $12-14 million
Malik McDowell - Circa $2 million (rookie contract)
Sheldon Richardson - $14-16 million
Rookie - $1-2 million

Thats potentially $33 million dollars on 4 D-Line players, whereas we are currently spending roughly $24.5 million.

I can see Sheldon Richardson getting a contract extension mid season (they did work this possibility into the draft remuneration so obviously something they're very seriously considering) although I guess it very much depends on how Malik McDowell is looking.

He could be even better than Sheldon yet under a rookie contract for 4 years or he could be garbage and we go back to having elite edge rushers with no middle pressure.

No easy decision for our front office, although I bet they have a plan...

Imagine if we extend both FC and SR AND Malik McDowell works out? Wow.

Exciting time to be a Seahawks fan, no doubt!

ludakrishna

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3fmouyw8 said:
Cut Bennett? Um......no

It is evident that Bennett has lost a step. He is not creating the same havoc this year as in the years past. He has more help on the DL than last year (SR + improved Frank Clark). Yet he is not disrupting the pocket. I am from the Bill Belichick school of thought...cut a player one year too early rather than too late. His decline has begun and it's time we move on. Loyalty will doom our long term success chances

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
Cutting Bennett after this season saves $2m. Not worth it. Cutting Lane and Avril, however does save $14m.