Please re-up Sheldon Richardson

Seymour

Reaction score
Popeyejones":4jv7hcx5 said:
...They’re set to have just under 20 million in cap space, but only have 36 players under contract. To just fill out the roster with minimum level contracts will cost about 8 million of that 20 million.

Where are you getting $20M from? I get us just under $31M cap space in 2018, Others have confirmed this as well.

original poster

Reaction score
Seymour":3s2fv1zm said:
Popeyejones":3s2fv1zm said:
...They’re set to have just under 20 million in cap space, but only have 36 players under contract. To just fill out the roster with minimum level contracts will cost about 8 million of that 20 million.

Where are you getting $20M from? I get us just under $31M cap space in 2018, Others have confirmed this as well.

Correct, no idea where $20M came from, either...

KillerB

Reaction score
Seafan":16cerchv said:
...If it's about $15 mil than it might be possible. Avril, Graham, Lane. Done.

I expect two of those three to be in their last season here. Which, combined with the $8m they're already paying Richardson, leaves plenty of room to give him a new contract.

But...I expect they'll have to franchise him before they can make a new deal.

original poster

Reaction score
KillerB":qy3gk7fh said:
Seafan":qy3gk7fh said:
...If it's about $15 mil than it might be possible. Avril, Graham, Lane. Done.

I expect two of those three to be in their last season here. Which, combined with the $8m they're already paying Richardson, leaves plenty of room to give him a new contract.

But...I expect they'll have to franchise him before they can make a new deal.

The $8 million is off the books next year as it’s a one year rental deal so it’s not just a case of ‘topping up’ his current salary unfortunately.

Reaction score
nanomoz":1r5inmma said:
509hawk":1r5inmma said:
sdog1981":1r5inmma said:
Who are you going to cut this offseason to make that happen? Avril? Bennett? Kam? I would like to keep him too but it will be at the expense of one of the old dogs.

I would be fine losing one of them to keep Richardson

The Hawks are scheduled to have $25-30 million in cap space. No one needs to be "cut." This whole song and dance is uninformed, and this fact is constantly pointed out, yet people keep on with it. So GD tiring.

With only 36 players signed. Though they'll get 7-10 players from the draft and free agency. Let's be generous and say 10.

Figure ~$10 million for the draft picks, a bit over $1 million for the practice squad and ~$5-$10 million kept during the season to replace injured players. Then they need to re-sign an additional 7 veterans to fill out the 53 man roster.

So they have almost no cash at all for big time extensions without some players getting released to converting some base salary into signing bonuses. Some difficult decisions will need to be made. Jimmy Graham is absolutely a goner, that's an easy decision to make.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I have no doubt we'll try our hardest to extend Richardson.

It shouldn't even be hard with Graham, Avril and maybe even Bennett's contract off the books next off season.

If I had to guess NOW? Graham is gone, Avril is gone and Bennett is asked to restructure. More than enough cap space to give Richardson a fat new contract.

Obviously things can change, but you don't let a player like Richardson go. You just don't.

Seymour

Reaction score
I will say this on Richardson. I like what he brings to the D, but if we have to pay $17M to keep him, and given the oline condition still, no way in hell you make that move. Not unless you have a CERTAIN answer to fixing the oline.

Look no further than what Whitworth has done for Goff and the Rams O.

You have to start protecting your investment in Wilson, and we simply are still not in position to do that. Next year could actually be worse once again.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":1p48749i said:
I will say this on Richardson. I like what he brings to the D, but if we have to pay $17M to keep him, and given the oline condition still, no way in hell you make that move. Not unless you have a CERTAIN answer to fixing the oline.

You have to start protecting your investment in Wilson, and we simply are still not in position to do that. Next year could actually be worse once again.

Well, that's about the range it's gonna take probably, and IMO it's worth it.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/ave ... ve-tackle/

Next to QB and LT, DT is the hardest position to find elite talent at. It's why we reached on McDowell and kept Bennett (probably a year or two longer than we should have, end of extension I mean).

Richardson's a stud, if we have cap space, he's the guy to spend it on. As I said, we're going to have quite a bit of space freed up next off season with guys like Lane, Graham and Avril off the books.

Lots of guys to restructure/extend as well to free up space. Bennett, Kam, Sherm, Thomas, Wagner, KJ, etc.

sdog1981

Reaction score
The only fallacy I see with all these numbers is Frank Clark. The Seahawks will keep him on his cheap rookie deal for the full 5 seasons.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":16gaug67 said:
Seymour":16gaug67 said:

Next to QB and LT, DT is the hardest position to find elite talent at. It's why we reached on McDowell and kept Bennett (probably a year or two longer than we should have, end of extension I mean).

Richardson's a stud, if we have cap space, he's the guy to spend it on. As I said, we're going to have quite a bit of space freed up next off season with guys like Lane, Graham and Avril off the books.

Lots of guys to restructure/extend as well to free up space. Bennett, Kam, Sherm, Thomas, Wagner, KJ, etc.

He's not nearly 2x of what Bennett is and Bennett plays both. Paying Richardson that kind of $$ with Bennett still here would start a shitstorm of whinning from Bennett and his "money problems".

Richardson is very good but not top 3, we have to come closer to balancing the O and D spending or you may as well just cave in completely on offense and get rid of Wilson and bring in a real game manager at 10-12M $$.

Fade

Reaction score
sdog1981":ld63ol15 said:
The only fallacy I see with all these numbers is Frank Clark. The Seahawks will keep him on his cheap rookie deal for the full 5 seasons.

He doesn't have 5 seasons first of all. 2nd it is much cheaper to extend with 1 yr left vs letting a player hit Free Agency. If Frank Clark keeps doing what he is doing (double digit sacks 3 straight seasons) 26 yrs old on the open market in 2019 that = $20M APY. Seattle could get it done this off-season for around $15-16M APY, much cheaper.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
WestcoastSteve":1wwds2vk said:
Mistashoesta":1wwds2vk said:
I like what I see from Richardson and I know his history, but I need to see more. Right now, I still keep a healthy Bennett and Avril over him. If by seasons end though Richardson has kept up his level of play at his current level? I let one of the old dogs walk.

Too much sentiment. Bennett is still good but he's not the same player he used to be.

The patriots keep a consistently solid defense by not keeping old players too long..

Urban legend. They win because of Brady and Belichick. The Patriots' defense has varied wildly in quality from year to year, and in fact it's pretty bad this year.

I'd say Avril and Bennett are the closest to candidates for jettisoning, but like Mistashoesta mentioned above, I'd need to see them decline further first. Nobody on an actual NFL offense anywhere on our schedule is counting either of these guys out just yet. Their production goes beyond just sacks. Clark's emergence certainly makes me feel good about the D-line's future, Reed has been a solid replacement for Mebane, and Richardson and Naz are a great hedge for Malik, but we can't make any judgments yet. If those four are all that's on the D-line, I kinda suspect it takes a downturn in the long term.

Fade

Reaction score
I wouldn't bail on Bennett, or Avril until after the 2018 season, there is no need to. The Seahawks are fine cap wise, there are much worse players on the roster you can cut if it comes to that. You can never have enough pass rush.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
original poster":2suduemy said:
Seymour":2suduemy said:
Popeyejones":2suduemy said:

People say 25-30 because they’re projecting a 5-10 million cap increase.

20 is without a projected cap increase — why I said the extra millions to give Richardson 12 or 13 in year 1 plus another few million dispersed across the minimum contracts to get the roster from 36 to 52 (for cap purposes). Sorry, looking back I was being super unclear.

As for folks projecting another 10 million increase on the cap, I’m a little more circumspect on that. People have short memories, and forget that before this recent round of cap increases in which the cap has gone up by about 10 million per year over the last three years, for the four years before that it was flat and they were even stealing from the pension fund to keep it from going down. I don’t know if it happens this year or next year, but I think we’re on the cusp of another flat cap era.

FWIW I think on next years cap I think the Hawks will have closer to 25 million than 30 million, but even those five million are chickens I wouldn’t start counting yet.

In any case, if you want to do the math project the salary cap figure you want to project and then subtract:

4 million or so for year one draft picks. That gets the roster up to 43.

+

4.5 to 9 million for nine minimum level contracts to get the roster up to 52 (there’s a wide spread because minimum contracts are based on years in the NFL)

+

2 million in reserves that every team likes to keep for injuries during the season.

+

11-14 million in year 1 of a deal for Richardson (I just can’t imagine him taking less or less in year one than Malik Jackson got from the Jags two years ago).

On the low end of those projections that’s 22.5 million to keep Richardson and fill out the roster with rookies and vet minimums, and on the high end it’s 29 million.

I think it’s doable, but I think cutting Avril is more likely (only 500k on dead cap).

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":225rpw1h said:
WestcoastSteve":225rpw1h said:
Mistashoesta":225rpw1h said:
I like what I see from Richardson and I know his history, but I need to see more. Right now, I still keep a healthy Bennett and Avril over him. If by seasons end though Richardson has kept up his level of play at his current level? I let one of the old dogs walk.

Too much sentiment. Bennett is still good but he's not the same player he used to be.

The patriots keep a consistently solid defense by not keeping old players too long..

Urban legend. They win because of Brady and Belichick. The Patriots' defense has varied wildly in quality from year to year, and in fact it's pretty bad this year.

I'd say Avril and Bennett are the closest to candidates for jettisoning, but like Mistashoesta mentioned above, I'd need to see them decline further first. Nobody on an actual NFL offense anywhere on our schedule is counting either of these guys out just yet. Their production goes beyond just sacks. Clark's emergence certainly makes me feel good about the D-line's future, Reed has been a solid replacement for Mebane, and Richardson and Naz are a great hedge for Malik, but we can't make any judgments yet. If those four are all that's on the D-line, I kinda suspect it takes a downturn in the long term.

Not to mention they've been keeping their assistants for a relatively long time given their success.

Reaction score
Popeyejones":gmpqjhau said:
original poster":gmpqjhau said:
Seymour":gmpqjhau said:
Popeyejones":gmpqjhau said:

People say 25-30 because they’re projecting a 5-10 million cap increase.

20 is without a projected cap increase — why I said the extra millions to give Richardson 12 or 13 in year 1 plus another few million dispersed across the minimum contracts to get the roster from 36 to 52 (for cap purposes). Sorry, looking back I was being super unclear.

As for folks projecting another 10 million increase on the cap, I’m a little more circumspect on that. People have short memories, and forget that before this recent round of cap increases in which the cap has gone up by about 10 million per year over the last three years, for the four years before that it was flat and they were even stealing from the pension fund to keep it from going down. I don’t know if it happens this year or next year, but I think we’re on the cusp of another flat cap era.

FWIW I think on next years cap I think the Hawks will have closer to 25 million than 30 million, but even those five million are chickens I wouldn’t start counting yet.

In any case, if you want to do the math project the salary cap figure you want to project and then subtract:

4 million or so for year one draft picks. That gets the roster up to 43.

+

4.5 to 9 million for nine minimum level contracts to get the roster up to 52 (there’s a wide spread because minimum contracts are based on years in the NFL)

+

2 million in reserves that every team likes to keep for injuries during the season.

+

11-14 million in year 1 of a deal for Richardson (I just can’t imagine him taking less or less in year one than Malik Jackson got from the Jags two years ago).

On the low end of those projections that’s 22.5 million to keep Richardson and fill out the roster with rookies and vet minimums, and on the high end it’s 29 million.

I think it’s doable, but I think cutting Avril is more likely (only 500k on dead cap).

Not sure where you get your numbers at. This years draft class costs over $11 million in cap hit and the Seahawks didn't even take a 1st round pick!

irocdave

Reaction score
nanomoz":1f0rewy2 said:
509hawk":1f0rewy2 said:
sdog1981":1f0rewy2 said:
Who are you going to cut this offseason to make that happen? Avril? Bennett? Kam? I would like to keep him too but it will be at the expense of one of the old dogs.

I would be fine losing one of them to keep Richardson

The Hawks are scheduled to have $25-30 million in cap space. No one needs to be "cut." This whole song and dance is uninformed, and this fact is constantly pointed out, yet people keep on with it. So GD tiring.

Need money to keep upcoming FA's AND to upgrade the O line. What is so tiring about figuring out where that money comes from? If the cap is bumped up, it is for all teams. More than half the teams in the NFL need O line help. Again, why is it hard to understand early speculation as to improving the money under the cap next year. You must be content with this years O line?

Popeyejones

Reaction score
QuickLightning":3muaq3mj said:
Not sure where you get your numbers at. This years draft class costs over $11 million in cap hit and the Seahawks didn't even take a 1st round pick!

After all the swapping they ended up back at seven draft picks, yeah? If not add on an additional 550K or so for each later round draft pick over 7 total.

In any case, assuming they're picking late in the first round (which I'm assuming), assume 1.5-1.75 million for the first rounder, 800K or so for the 2nd rounder, 655 for the 3rd rounder, 600 for the 4th, and 550 for 5-7.

Adding that up you're right, my projection is low. If they have 7 draft picks on first year cap hits that should cost in the 5 - 5.5 million range, not 4 million.

Good call.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":3atxyl8y said:
Sgt. Largent":3atxyl8y said:
Seymour":3atxyl8y said:

He's not nearly 2x of what Bennett is and Bennett plays both. Paying Richardson that kind of $$ with Bennett still here would start a shitstorm of whinning from Bennett and his "money problems".

Richardson is very good but not top 3, we have to come closer to balancing the O and D spending or you may as well just cave in completely on offense and get rid of Wilson and bring in a real game manager at 10-12M $$.

You know how this works, Richardson is what someone is willing to pay him. No one thought Suh was worth 19M, but the Dolphins were idiots and paid him that.

I agree, he's not top 3-4, but he's certainly in the next rung down........and those guys are in the 13-15M a year range. Which IMO is about what it'll take to keep him.

My point is with Bennett long in the tooth and Avril looking like he's done, we HAVE to figure out a way to keep Richardson. Even if that means overpaying him a little. He's just too valuable to lose to free agency.

Latest posts