Please re-up Sheldon Richardson

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Fade":37hjsanl said:
On the open market imo he's as good as gone. Desperate, poorly run teams will throw so much money around the Hawks won't have

He already had the desperate, poorly run team experience, and he was so unhappy with it that he became a "locker room cancer." He put on a good face in public, and said all the right things about wanting to stay with the organization, but his antics would suggest he wanted out.

I do believe he was genuine when he said he wouldn't go full Durant and chase a ring. At the same time, I doubt he would be willing to do the exact opposite and chase the money. He is now on a contending team who needs him and acquired him in the "right way." While he is absolutely going to demand a high salary, I don't see him accepting it from another dysfunctional organization if the Seahawks offer something that is in the ballpark.

The teams we would be competing against are other contenders, and they have their own salary cap issues

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2tx8hkm1 said:
You know how this works, Richardson is what someone is willing to pay him. No one thought Suh was worth 19M, but the Dolphins were idiots and paid him that.

I agree, he's not top 3-4, but he's certainly in the next rung down........and those guys are in the 13-15M a year range. Which IMO is about what it'll take to keep him.

My point is with Bennett long in the tooth and Avril looking like he's done, we HAVE to figure out a way to keep Richardson. Even if that means overpaying him a little. He's just too valuable to lose to free agency.

$12-14m is about where I draw the line. I was addressing the $17M claim that said to do it. And that is after the oline is taken care of only IMO, otherwise we will just piss another season away locking the defense on the field.

JimmyG

Reaction score
irocdave":2694ephg said:
nanomoz":2694ephg said:
509hawk":2694ephg said:
sdog1981":2694ephg said:
Who are you going to cut this offseason to make that happen? Avril? Bennett? Kam? I would like to keep him too but it will be at the expense of one of the old dogs.

I would be fine losing one of them to keep Richardson

The Hawks are scheduled to have $25-30 million in cap space. No one needs to be "cut." This whole song and dance is uninformed, and this fact is constantly pointed out, yet people keep on with it. So GD tiring.

Need money to keep upcoming FA's AND to upgrade the O line. What is so tiring about figuring out where that money comes from? If the cap is bumped up, it is for all teams. More than half the teams in the NFL need O line help. Again, why is it hard to understand early speculation as to improving the money under the cap next year. You must be content with this years O line?
Completely agree. The only thing I'm sick of hearing is that the "cap is going up". The cap going up does not give us free money to work with. As you alluded to, every team in the league is getting that money. All that does it drives up the price every player signing a new contract or signing an extension. The amount of wiggle room it provides is exaggerated.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
509hawk":mcudrfii said:
sdog1981":mcudrfii said:
Who are you going to cut this offseason to make that happen? Avril? Bennett? Kam? I would like to keep him too but it will be at the expense of one of the old dogs.

I would be fine losing one of them to keep Richardson
Bennett and Avril are old. Might be time to move them on.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I'd rather have the Seahawks spend more $ to keep Sheldon Richardson than save the money there and spend it on more Joeckel type of players for OL. There's enormous amount of proof they invest in the wrong players on the OL. Might as well keep the top 5 DL player they have. I trust the FO for a lot of things, just not when it comes to the OL.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I'd be fine with us doing what the Patriots like to do - get rid of a quality player when they're on the verge of losing effectiveness due to age. Rip off some other team, lol...like they did with us for Branch.

sdog1981

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2yp6zqet said:
I'd be fine with us doing what the Patriots like to do - get rid of a quality player when they're on the verge of losing effectiveness due to age. Rip off some other team, lol...like they did with us for Branch.

Better to trade a player a year early rather than a year late. Richardson will be 27 this November and will be just in line for the most productive years of his career.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":1eacbv7f said:
I'm all for waiting until the end of the season when we can evaluate the entirety of his contribution to our success.
Let him drive his price up?.....Yeah, okay.
Some team will be willing to outbid us if they think he is the missing piece to their Defense.
I'm thinking sooner rather than later, that Bennett's Planter Fascia problems, & Cliff Avril's neck injury on our screen, we have to either shit, or get off the pot on getting Sheldon Richardson inked, and by inked, I don't mean getting him a tattoo.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
Just for numbers sake, here are the top DT's in the league salarywise.

4-3 DT
Suh $19.1m
Cox - $17.1m
Short - $16.1M
Dareus - $15.9m
Jackson - $14.2m

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2q1usab4 said:

The Patriots' defense is terrible. They win because of Brady and Belichick.

AgentDib

Reaction score
I like the sentiment in this thread but it's way too early for specifics. Uncertain variables such as player performance, player health, team success, the 2018 cap number, scheme adjustments, personnel changes on other teams, and draft class analysis among others may change significantly over the remainder of the season.

If our luck is average we will have 5 more players sent to IR this season. We'll also learn a lot more about McDowell's prospects in 2018 or lack thereof. If it's negative we may try again with somebody like Wilkins from Clemson or I bet many around here will be interested in Vita Vea. How much we decide to spend on defense will also have a lot to do with how the offense finishes up this year. If we end the season without being able to run the ball I'd expect some major changes over the off-season probably starting with the RB group.

Cc5674

Reaction score
Richardson is going to command a Sun like deal and there are teams like the Browns who have a boatload of cap space to spend so I’m pretty sure Richardson will go to the highest bidder. I’m not sold on Richardson. He is in a contract year so he is starting to show up. Give him a fat contract and with his questionable past he could be the biggest gamble out there. I think the Seahawks could use that cap space more effectively. Sheldon Richardson has character issues and you cannot anchor a team to someone so unreliable. There are too many holes to fill.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2ux80uki said:
RolandDeschain":2ux80uki said:

I didn't say anything about their defense. I was referring to the fact that nearly every year we see them fleece some other team into way overpaying for someone who then goes elsewhere and declines in performance.

chris98251

Reaction score
Cc5674":30tddqby said:
Richardson is going to command a Sun like deal and there are teams like the Browns who have a boatload of cap space to spend so I’m pretty sure Richardson will go to the highest bidder. I’m not sold on Richardson. He is in a contract year so he is starting to show up. Give him a fat contract and with his questionable past he could be the biggest gamble out there. I think the Seahawks could use that cap space more effectively. Sheldon Richardson has character issues and you cannot anchor a team to someone so unreliable. There are too many holes to fill.

Um so much wrong here, first you need to see how he was used, second he may go to the highest bidder granted or maybe where he thinks he is respected and feels like part of the family for a bit less with a chance to win, he has been on a losing team and probably appreciates the different environment. He has done everything asked and more, he is getting attention freeing up others to make plays, not to mention he is making plays on his own, fumble recovery and a interception in the same game speaks for itself.

As far as a questionable past, other then his issue with Marshall it's pretty much a non issue, he has been such a problem here that the locker room appears to love him as well as the rest of the defense. I also expect him to be resigned, 2nd rounder and Kearse isn't something you give to a one and done player.

When has he been unreliable ? Guy has played lights out since he has been in the league, even when asked to play out of position he still held his own. You don't get rid of guys that can push the pocket, pass rush, play multiple positions, run stop and eat up blockers for others to make plays.

I will take all the unreliable players I can get if they play like this guy does and is the cancer he is in our locker room.

jdemps

Reaction score
SF bay area, shaping young minds with a tinge of H
I'm really wondering what Richardson's market is going to be. He's a beast but he doesn't get sacks. 18 sacks over 4 years with the jets (And 0 through 5 games this year). He's not really a pass rusher and sacks get $$$, just ask Bruce Irvin.

Below are the top paid DTs in the league and their APY. If I were comparing his stats and abilities relative to this list, I'd slot SR in the 5-8 range meaning he's probably going to pull 14-16m/year. For reference, Cliff's cap hit this year is $5.5m and Bennett's is just under $11m. So SR would cost us the same as both of these guys. And yet, I think we have to. We can't let our defense age out and these are the hard decisions we'll have to make.

Ndamukong Suh $19,062,500
Muhammad Wilkerson $17,200,000
Fletcher Cox $17,100,000
J.J. Watt $16,666,667
Kawann Short $16,100,000
Marcell Dareus $15,850,000
Jurrell Casey $15,100,000
Malik Jackson $14,250,000
Gerald McCoy $13,600,000
Linval Joseph $12,500,000
Akiem Hicks $12,000,000

sutz

Reaction score
jdemps":3bv582ej said:
I'm really wondering what Richardson's market is going to be. He's a beast but he doesn't get sacks. 18 sacks over 4 years with the jets (And 0 through 5 games this year). He's not really a pass rusher and sacks get $$$, just ask Bruce Irvin.

Below are the top paid DTs in the league and their APY. If I were comparing his stats and abilities relative to this list, I'd slot SR in the 5-8 range meaning he's probably going to pull 14-16m/year. For reference, Cliff's cap hit this year is $5.5m and Bennett's is just under $11m. So SR would cost us the same as both of these guys. And yet, I think we have to. We can't let our defense age out and these are the hard decisions we'll have to make.

Ndamukong Suh $19,062,500
Muhammad Wilkerson $17,200,000
Fletcher Cox $17,100,000
J.J. Watt $16,666,667
Kawann Short $16,100,000
Marcell Dareus $15,850,000
Jurrell Casey $15,100,000
Malik Jackson $14,250,000
Gerald McCoy $13,600,000
Linval Joseph $12,500,000
Akiem Hicks $12,000,000
Rich may not get sacks, but he does get push in the middle and helps collapse the pocket. Plus his runs stuffing ability is first rate. He really does fit into our normal game plan. With how the salary relates to cap hit, especially in the first couple of years under a contract, you'd think Schneider will find a way.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":ena7p8jf said:
MontanaHawk05":ena7p8jf said:
RolandDeschain":ena7p8jf said:

I didn't say anything about their defense.

But I did. The deteriments tthe Patriots' defense sees from letting players go, should be factored into the discussion.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":ccq54zm2 said:
RolandDeschain":ccq54zm2 said:
MontanaHawk05":ccq54zm2 said:
RolandDeschain":ccq54zm2 said:

I didn't say anything about their defense.

But I did. The deteriments tthe Patriots' defense sees from letting players go, should be factored into the discussion.

The Patriots have won 5 SB's in the past 15 years, what detriments or poor philosophical decision making in regards to trading away players in their prime are we being negative about again?

Cc5674

Reaction score
chris98251":2w2i56on said:
Cc5674":2w2i56on said:

Um so much wrong here, first you need to see how he was used, second he may go to the highest bidder granted or maybe where he thinks he is respected and feels like part of the family for a bit less with a chance to win, he has been on a losing team and probably appreciates the different environment. He has done everything asked and more, he is getting attention freeing up others to make plays, not to mention he is making plays on his own, fumble recovery and a interception in the same game speaks for itself.

As far as a questionable past, other then his issue with Marshall it's pretty much a non issue, he has been such a problem here that the locker room appears to love him as well as the rest of the defense. I also expect him to be resigned, 2nd rounder and Kearse isn't something you give to a one and done player.

When has he been unreliable ? Guy has played lights out since he has been in the league, even when asked to play out of position he still held his own. You don't get rid of guys that can push the pocket, pass rush, play multiple positions, run stop and eat up blockers for others to make plays.

I will take all the unreliable players I can get if they play like this guy does and is the cancer he is in our locker room.

I respectfully disagree. Sheldon Richardson has too many skeletons in his closet to invest a large sum of cap space into. His HC in NewYork was one of the most respected defensive coordinators in the league and he let him go for pretty much nothing. Defensive coaches just don’t do that to young talented players unless there’s something wrong. Sheldon is showing up in a contract year but he was a ghost in NY last season. Remember it’s going to take a lot of money to have him sign for that second contract. Seahawks would be better served letting someone else make that mistake. You are dead wrong about Sheldon because he is a cancer. A cancer that will spread once he gets paid! You need to stop trying to sound like you know what you’re saying and do your homework. Your point is all based on your speculation of how Sheldon Richardson will play once he gets a big payday. I think Todd Bowles knew the answer to that question before the season started.

Latest posts