Poll: Do you think Seattle retains Michael Bennett?

Will Michael Bennett sign back with Seattle in free agency?

• Yes- He will remain a Seahawk.

Votes: 113 46.1%
  • No- He will sign elsewhere.

Votes: 132 53.9%

• Total voters

sutz

Reaction score
Voted "Yes" with a ton of wishful thinking in there. :229031-shrug:

Mike is definitely a "find a way" kind of player you really try to hang onto, but there will probably be stupid money involved and that would most likely come from outside the Seahawks organization.

But I'm still hopeful.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I voted no. His comments about Costco early on was a vivid illustration of where his mind is at. He wants top dollar and while I see the Seahawks paying him very well, I see another team paying more than we can afford.

Money talks. Bennett walks.

formido

Reaction score
50/50

He's really good and was underrated, but he's not a one man defensive line or one man pass rush. Seattle had the best pass rush in the NFL last year and that was on the back of a rotating bevy of good pass rushers rather than a single dominating force. This is a much better model because it's insulated from injury risk. It also has the effect of making it hard to disentangle a single player's production from the synergy of the entire line. Last year folks were shocked at how little Avril and Bennett were able to get in free agency and if it were a normal market, that probably wouldn't have changed. However, the cap is exploding over the next 3 years, so there could be a significant uptick in new salaries for the top 7 or 8 guys on a team and perhaps folks' intuitions haven't updated appropriately. I hope JS's offer was adjusted appropriately for inflation. Nine or 10 million sounds about right, now, to me.

irfuben32

Reaction score
I am a huge MB fan but I don't think he will be back, and that's OK.

Last year we got him on the cheap, there will be other pass rushers looking for a ring who will be willing to come here at a discount.

Sparkchaser737

Reaction score
sutz":3r9qcdi6 said:
Voted "Yes" with a ton of wishful thinking in there. :229031-shrug:

Mike is definitely a "find a way" kind of player you really try to hang onto, but there will probably be stupid money involved and that would most likely come from outside the Seahawks organization.

But I'm still hopeful.
This is how I feel as well. Love the guy, and hope he stays, but he knows he will get paid by someone. Probably not the Hawks

drdiags

Reaction score
I vote no. I hate to say it but I agree with Polian's point that once you let a player test the market, you have to assume he is gone. The Seahawks benefitted from a depressed market last year, allowing them to grab Avril and Bennett. This year, the market sounds as though it will be much more volatile with higher deals for players. I don't begrudge Bennett for getting his.

The Bowen piece is yet another reminder of why a player needs to get what he can on the open market when the opportunity is there. MRob talks about this concept of "Loyalty". There really cannot be any. Not with the team nor the players. And it definitely isn't there amongst the fans. I am sure there are some pissed off 12s dropping the twitter hate on Bennett, which will become venom for ET or Sherm when they don't do a deal folks think they should.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I did before yesterday's report that he's going to test free agency.

There are just too many decent teams with a LOT of cap space that could potentially throw crazy money at him.

fridayfrenzy

Reaction score
I think JS and PC do a good job of finding value in player contracts. They don't try and chase past performances.

Reaction score
I guess I'm a little idealistic, but I think we made a solid offer, Mike and JS discuss that he'd like to test the market first then maybe renegotiate the deal as he needs to take care of his family, etc. He gets bigger offers elsewhere, but wanting to stick with his buds, likes the area, coaches, fans, winning chances and VMAC he reworks the deal to meet in the middle and signs back with us.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Scottemojo":o1l18po2 said:
He got our offer, and it wasn't enough. No way by now his agent has not gotten an idea of what someone else will pay.

He gone.

If the agent plays by the rules, he won't know what the offers look like until tomorrow. There's still an outside chance.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2ib3uyzv said:
He got our offer, and it wasn't enough. No way by now his agent has not gotten an idea of what someone else will pay.

He gone.

Yeah, if he was offered a contract and thinks he can do better, I'm sure someone will 1-up us.

Marlin Man

Reaction score
He is gone.

But I would not worry about it too much, we are in good hands, they got us to the SB with the youngest team ever to do so. They will do what is right to keep this ship on course. I believe in them and their uncanny ability to recognize great ptential/talent. They will get us back to the SB

M.M.

mikeak

Reaction score
If we offered X millions and he only gets X+5% or something smaller then he may say screw it I am staying with the Seahawks

If he is offered X times 2 then obviously he is gone

Remember we are a contender, we have an organization that people are happy in from everything we all read. So I truly believe that if the market is the same or just slightly above what Seahawks offered he comes back. If the market is significantly more then he is gone

I think we say fine if he returns. PC and Schneider won't hold a grudge and then start negotiations at a lower point

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3029m7s4 said:

He gone.
I changed my vote after hearing he got an offer from the Hawks and turned it down. Agree with you Scott, he is gone.

bandiger

Reaction score
No, he was a one year rental. He was smart and confident he would thrive in this system, he got his ring in the process and now he will get paid by some team that has crazy cap space.

hawksmode

Reaction score
He got his ring...he could care less about the Seahawks...

I mean come on, 8 million a year can't get his kids through school......

Latest posts