Poll: Do you think Seattle retains Michael Bennett?

Will Michael Bennett sign back with Seattle in free agency?

• Yes- He will remain a Seahawk.

Votes: 113 46.1%
  • No- He will sign elsewhere.

Votes: 132 53.9%

• Total voters

brimsalabim

Reaction score
There is a write up on BR speculating that the 49rs are driving the price up.

Penman96

Reaction score
I think he'll be back, I just look at what happened last year when he came off a 9 sack season at TB, and went out there looking for a big payday. Didn't work out for him - and he got a one year deal here for 5 million.

Well now it's a year later, and he's a year older. He got 8.5 sacks last year playing with a way better defense, and in home games where the noise is insane.

I'm asking myself why he should do so much better this off season than he did last off season, and I can't really see an answer for that.

I don't blame him a bit for testing the market, though the risk he takes is that Seattle sign someone else and don't want him back. End of the day though I doubt he gets huge money out there and he asks to come back here. 3 year deal for 20 million is about what he's worth.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Being realistic about Bennett, he's got his ring, now the only thing he yearns for is a big payday............he's GONE.

BUT, I trust that John Schneider will find a suitable replacement for MB, maybe not quite as good a player, but I believe that he'll find a hungry player that can be plugged into the position without too big a drop off.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
scutterhawk":1edgxxpd said:
Being realistic about Bennett, he's got his ring, now the only thing he yearns for is a big payday............he's GONE..

I'd say it's 50/50.

Remember, the cap wasn't raised that much this year..........which means it could be another soft year for free agents. Guys like Bennett and Avril thought they were going to get big contracts last year, and found out the market wasn't really there. Could be the case again.

Next year and 2016 are the big jump in cap years, so we might get lucky with Bennett. Hopefully he'll shop around and see that he's not going to get 9-10M a year like he wants.

brettb3

Reaction score
I'm surprised by the response here. He didn't necessarily turn down the Hawks' offer. He tabled it so he could test the market. They let Mebane and Red do the same thing before coming back and playing them market value. I think the Hawks will do the same thing with Bennett.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
^ Avril will get the same and probably worse next year when he won't re-sign for what fans want him to after 2 bargain years.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
Scottemojo":7d8m57f4 said:
He got our offer, and it wasn't enough. No way by now his agent has not gotten an idea of what someone else will pay.

He gone.

The reason he is testing free agency isn't necessarily because better offers exist. The only reason to sign a deal before FA is because you fear not having a market. Riley Cooper is a good example. His taking 5/25 was a shrewd move because he is still unproven and it is very possible his market might not develop. That would work against his favor and he could be forced to sign a cheaper or shorter deal. With Bennett, his agent knows there is enough interest league wide that Seattle's offer will stand firm even if Bennett declines it.

By testing FA, it brings an element into play that can't be predicted, that being the "bid up" aspect. Will teams bid each other up or will they view Bennett as a good player to have at a certain price? Personally, I love Bennett and think keeping him is a very high priority, but I would be surprised if teams didn't view him as the latter.

I think he will get offers, Seattle will stretch to meet them, and unless he gets something crazy like $11 million a year, I think Seattle will be competitive enough to keep him. Pete is Bennett's #1 fan, it will take a lot to pry him away.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
brettb3":21jiw5oa said:
I'm surprised by the response here. He didn't necessarily turn down the Hawks' offer. He tabled it so he could test the market. They let Mebane and Red do the same thing before coming back and playing them market value. I think the Hawks will do the same thing with Bennett.

This...there's nothing out there indicating Bennett flat out refused the Seahawks offer. For all we know, him and his agent are doing their due diligence and seeing if offers out there are close to the Seahawks or much more.

BlueBlood

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1i9x2s3e said:
Nope, fortunately another team will pay him 10-11 mil a year, the Hawks just can't do something like that, and still hope to sign ET/Sherm/RW/Okung.

Fixed that for ya

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
My thought process is that I expect a team to stretch and give him more than we are willing to, not that he flat out refused us. I believe we probably gave him a good offer and he is exploring his options, as I would, but I have a feeling someone will knock his socks off.

Dtowers

Reaction score
^ Agreed. Too much cap space out there and not enough in the Hawks' coffers. Agree with Scott above as well. His agent most likely already knows what waits for Bennett on the open market. NFL has been this way forever.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2yksol9d said:
scutterhawk":2yksol9d said:
Being realistic about Bennett, he's got his ring, now the only thing he yearns for is a big payday............he's GONE..

I'd say it's 50/50.

Remember, the cap wasn't raised that much this year..........which means it could be another soft year for free agents. Guys like Bennett and Avril thought they were going to get big contracts last year, and found out the market wasn't really there. Could be the case again.

Next year and 2016 are the big jump in cap years, so we might get lucky with Bennett. Hopefully he'll shop around and see that he's not going to get 9-10M a year like he wants.

I could be mistaken, but I think 50/50 is more of a wishful number, as now that Bennett has upped his value considerably, and proven that he can be enough of a difference maker to any team that feels that they might be on the verge of doing something big next Season, and think that he just could be the missing piece to their Defense that could get them there.
There are teams that aren't as hindered with the CAP as the Seahawks are.
I think that keeping Bennett is a luxury that we just may not be able to afford.
I hope I'm wrong, but big money is hard to turn your back on.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Voted no because I think he can get more than we are willing to pay. I think it will depend if he is really serious about taking the most money over the situation and team he'd be going to. I'd like to think playing here would be one of his top choices and taking about 10%-15% less to stick around would be a possibility. I sure hope we can keep him, and I'm fine with not re-signing Tate if we can keep Bennett around but I also think there will be some much cheaper options on the market that JS already has his eye on.

Escamillo

Reaction score
I assume anyone that "tests the market" is gone. That's my default position in all cases.
But, echoing what someone said above, why do so many of you guys assume that he'll get a blockbuster offer this year when he didn't last year? You guys say, "Someone with crazy cap space will offer him billions" (that's hyperbole quoting on my part :p ), but why did that not happen last year? It's not like he had better stats this year than last year.