Poll: Will Pete let Russ cook in 2020-2021?

Simple poll: Will Pete let Russ cook for the 2020-2021 NFL Season?

• Yes - Open offensive playbook sometime in the first half through the season

Votes: 20 44.4%
  • No - Trust the formula, Russ can cook when needed

Votes: 25 55.6%

• Total voters

chris98251

Reaction score
What I think Pete wants is the team engaged for 4 quarters really, blowing out early and losing the edge has bit teams as well. It can bite you sometimes but the flip side is late game heroics sometimes bite you as well.

Trust me I would rather see a 21 point advantage going into the second half if we can do that every week and feel they can hold with a good defense rather then have to come from behind in the 4th and hope the defense can get a turnover.

John63

Reaction score
The answer is NO- its the only way PC knows

Smellyman

Reaction score
so sick of the term 'let Russ cook'.

Because that is not what we want who wants a more varied offense.

If run isn't working, can they try something different? Can they not be so predictable? Can we have a lead at half? Can we not do the definition of insanity for 3 quarters?

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":3hydxo15 said:
So far, nobody has shown specifics of down-and-distance specific decisions that should be different. You're just noting the same generalities as usual.

Is Russ as successful as he is in the 2nd half BECAUSE of the first-half rope-a-dope, or conservative play-calling, or what have you? I'm not blindly defending PC's approach; there'a a good chance his game should change with Russ behind center. But I can't vote on this poll until I know more than a few fans saying "turn Russ loose."

Where's the actual evidence of what plays were called, why they were called in those specific situations, and what PC's actual philosophy is, not what fans, educated as they may be in football generally, surmise about the specifics of this team?

'2015' or was it '2016', Playing against Rapistbuger & the Stealers,,,,You know,,,, when Russell Wilson was allowed to OPEN UP & COOK for the entire game?, Back when Cable's Offensive line SUCKED, and Wilson & Baldwin went on a tear?

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
scutterhawk":1np0upgq said:
Ad Hawk":1np0upgq said:
So far, nobody has shown specifics of down-and-distance specific decisions that should be different. You're just noting the same generalities as usual.

Is Russ as successful as he is in the 2nd half BECAUSE of the first-half rope-a-dope, or conservative play-calling, or what have you? I'm not blindly defending PC's approach; there'a a good chance his game should change with Russ behind center. But I can't vote on this poll until I know more than a few fans saying "turn Russ loose."

Where's the actual evidence of what plays were called, why they were called in those specific situations, and what PC's actual philosophy is, not what fans, educated as they may be in football generally, surmise about the specifics of this team?

'2015' or was it '2016', Playing against Rapistbuger & the Stealers,,,,You know,,,, when Russell Wilson was allowed to OPEN UP & COOK for the entire game?, Back when Cable's Offensive line SUCKED, and Wilson & Baldwin went on a tear?

I'll even give you another game--vs. D Watson and the Texans where we went toe-to-toe with them and won.

But that doesn't explain exactly/specifically how those games differed in either play-calling or philosophy, etc. Let's talk football at a more analytical level, not just generalities.

I think all Hawk fans agree on the outcome we'd like to see--more wins, less close games, early leads, etc.--but the path to all of those is by no means self-evident, even for those shouting "be less predictable" or "call screens when being blitzed" or "attempt more run-after-catch crossers over the middle" (which we rarely do, but did against Pittsburgh to some effect).

In the end, the only one I care about really is wins. We do that more than most teams, so perhaps a slight offensive shift is all that is necessary. But what specifically is that shift? Is it just as simple as let Russ call all offensive plays? Is that what "cooking" means to you? To the OP?

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":30wpesz4 said:
scutterhawk":30wpesz4 said:
Ad Hawk":30wpesz4 said:

I'll even give you another game--vs. D Watson and the Texans where we went toe-to-toe with them and won.

But that doesn't explain exactly/specifically how those games differed in either play-calling or philosophy, etc. Let's talk football at a more analytical level, not just generalities.

I think all Hawk fans agree on the outcome we'd like to see--more wins, less close games, early leads, etc.--but the path to all of those is by no means self-evident, even for those shouting "be less predictable" or "call screens when being blitzed" or "attempt more run-after-catch crossers over the middle" (which we rarely do, but did against Pittsburgh to some effect).

In the end, the only one I care about really is wins. We do that more than most teams, so perhaps a slight offensive shift is all that is necessary. But what specifically is that shift? Is it just as simple as let Russ call all offensive plays? Is that what "cooking" means to you? To the OP?

Nobody can answer your question because nobody knows any of the specifics. They're just parroting what they hear everyone else say. We all want the offense to start faster and not have to come back late in games. Some of us fans get frustrated and glom onto whatever other fans are saying. If enough people say it, it must be correct right? Some of us fans know enough to know that we don't know enough about the in game specifics to comment on how to fix it.

I feel your pain though. Hearing/reading people just spout out generalities is pretty annoying.