Pope cut

chris98251

Reaction score
Milehighhawk":2ba4whtb said:
chris98251":2ba4whtb said:
Milehighhawk":2ba4whtb said:
Pope brings nothing different that our other backs already have. Collins has the potential to bring other tools but not seen yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Respectfully completely disagree, Pope has the quick cut and burst lacking from all the other backs, Rawls has great cuts but not the burst Pope has, Pope can return kicks, Pope has decent hands or he would not be asked to return kicks, he runs with more leg drive then Collins and or Prosise has shown, Pope reacts and makes his read faster then Michael and gets yards after getting thru the line much better and has shown he can take it to the house once he does so.

We have a kick returner. To say that Rawls has no burst is pretty ridiculous. Pope showed he had a good first step and could get to the hole, but nothing special compared to Rawls and Michael. You can't possibly know the reads in order to say he makes his read faster unless you have a bellichekian line into the headsets. And no he hadn't shown any breakaway top end speed. This is pretty far off.

I can see a decision made and how he reacts, I can watch Michael and Collins dance, his 0 to 60 is better then Rawls, Rawls is quick and powerful in space. his acceleration isn't on Popes level, it's good but not as good.

Also why do you need 53 men on a roster if you only need one player for a position? One Kick returner on the team huh, the position that takes more blind side shots and most vulnerable who also returns Punts. Yeah no need to have depth there at all, nobody ever gets hurt in the NFL.

TestMo1337

Reaction score
I'm glad we are getting emotional over our 4th string RB and not like someone who is going to see multiple series like the 1st and 2nd string RB.

We are at this point where we can focus on depth and prepare for any pending injury. Now that our core is signed for the near term, we have less flexibility on our depth and who we can keep.

Pope flashed but not better than Rawls has last year or Michaels in the preseason.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
kearly":2io17z2h said:
Stupid choice, stupid reasoning. Can you imagine if they tried banking on this reasoning with Thomas Rawls last year?

But hey, sometimes bad choices have lucky results. I'm rooting for a lucky result.

I'm with you. Keep the better RB, PERIOD. Anybody with 20/20 vision could tell that was not Collins. Add Pope's versatility on special teams, and it's a no brainer.

Milehighhawk

Reaction score
chris98251":1df3q1tn said:
Milehighhawk":1df3q1tn said:
chris98251":1df3q1tn said:
Milehighhawk":1df3q1tn said:
Pope brings nothing different that our other backs already have. Collins has the potential to bring other tools but not seen yet.

Respectfully completely disagree, Pope has the quick cut and burst lacking from all the other backs, Rawls has great cuts but not the burst Pope has, Pope can return kicks, Pope has decent hands or he would not be asked to return kicks, he runs with more leg drive then Collins and or Prosise has shown, Pope reacts and makes his read faster then Michael and gets yards after getting thru the line much better and has shown he can take it to the house once he does so.

We have a kick returner. To say that Rawls has no burst is pretty ridiculous. Pope showed he had a good first step and could get to the hole, but nothing special compared to Rawls and Michael. You can't possibly know the reads in order to say he makes his read faster unless you have a bellichekian line into the headsets. And no he hadn't shown any breakaway top end speed. This is pretty far off.

I can see a decision made and how he reacts, I can watch Michael and Collins dance, his 0 to 60 is better then Rawls, Rawls is quick and powerful in space. his acceleration isn't on Popes level, it's good but not as good.

Also why do you need 53 men on a roster if you only need one player for a position? One Kick returner on the team huh, the position that takes more blind side shots and most vulnerable who also returns Punts. Yeah no need to have depth there at all, nobody ever gets hurt in the NFL.

Pretty funny. Please tell me who our backup kick returner was last year and why it was so important that we reserved a roster spot for him?

He doesn't tackle on special teams and is too small to play a power role. He is redundant unless of course he has all those skills you claim at an elite level. Well then we just cut AP.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2j06izrt said:
Burley being cut was worse.

Keeping Collins and dumping Pope (who we will see again) was dumb.

But there are so many bone-headed moves made today with this roster, it is hard to pick a 'favorite'

Yep, still a natural with the hyperbole.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
PlinytheCenter":tbfafl68 said:
NewJerseyHawk":tbfafl68 said:
Pope is going to clear waivers and make the practice squad.....Collins would not....it's not a matter of production or performance.

I would rather have Burley over Simon, frankly that's the decision we should be focusing on.

Totally agree; what the hell do they see in Tharold?? Sigh...in PCJS we trust.

Another year with Tharold Simon, Steven Terrell and that French-last-named LBer. I sorta understand the latter two.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Last year our 3rd string RB turned out to be pretty important, didn't he?

Guys get hurt in football. One reason I am livid about the stupidity of releasing Burley.

But as pointed out, having solid PR and KR is not bad. And it would be nice to have an option that allows us not to have to put Lockett in harm's way.

But that aside, some of you don't get it.

Yeah a dime CB or a 4th string RB don't or shouldn't make a massive difference in a season. BUT one guy (or one missing guy) can make a big difference in ONE or TWO games.

Remember that at the end of the year when we are scratching to try to get a 1 game lead to get into a coveted playoff slot.

I am sure that JS has made some great decisions in the past that made this team better, but this year he hurt us.

Milehighhawk

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":23txndwa said:

Guys get hurt in football. One reason I am livid about the stupidity of releasing Burley.

But as pointed out, having solid PR and KR is not bad. And it would be nice to have an option that allows us not to have to put Lockett in harm's way.

Yeah a dime CB or a 4th string RB don't or shouldn't make a massive difference in a season. BUT one guy (or one missing guy) can make a big difference in ONE or TWO games.

Remember that at the end of the year when we are scratching to try to get a 1 game lead to get into a coveted playoff slot.

I am sure that JS has made some great decisions in the past that made this team better, but this year he hurt us.

You just proved why we shouldn't keep Pope. Yes last year our 3rd string RB, who wasn't on the roster for most the season, was pretty important. It isn't like these guys are some super rare commodity that they can't be replaced with sufficient (not necessarily great) performance.

Lastly, you can't possibly know whether these are the right or wrong decisions. That is what frustrates some with all these reactionary posts. You presume to know the end when we won't really know until far into the season. It is ignorant to think otherwise.

Chapow

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":85q5vqzs said:

HAHAHAHAHA! Scratching to get a 1 game lead at the end of the year?!? PUHLEASE!!! We're going to be out of playoff contention by week 3 with this HUGE list of unbelievably moronic decisions by Pete and John this year!

mrt144

Reaction score
A rationale I can see beyond PS is that the types of situations and carries Pope would get is already taken by Rawls. It'd be too redundant, I guess.

I want Pope damnit!

chris98251

Reaction score
Ok since you want to do this !

Richardson was a back up, till he got hurt, they had Baldwin back there, they had Kearse back there, they had a few others, remember the reason they drafted Lockett was to be a return guy hoping he could learn the WR spot. That shows you how important they felt the position was, to have a guy that showed he could return along with play a position such as RB was a bonus. The one knock is that he is 5'8" 205 pounds, smallish by most standards, and I didn't say he was Adrian Peterson, I said he has a different skill set and does some things better, he is not a power guy, he is not a run in space guy, he makes decisions faster and is more decisive then some of our other backs and is allusive.

DIFFERENT SKILL SET WHICH GOES BACK TO YOUR ORIGINAL STATEMENT !

I also like this.

Collins has the potential to bring other tools but not seen yet.

So like running the ball consistently, not going down at first contact, keeping his leg moving, not dropping passes when wide open, he is a great blocker however.

BlueThunder

Reaction score
Why do people on an internet message board think they know more than Pete and the rest of the coaches that are intimately involved with all the players on the roster and are highly educated on the science of Football? Yeah, I thought Pope was the shizz too... But I trust the reasoning of our coaches. They have seen his every move in Training camp. They had a reason for the move, and I trust them. Glad they don't read here for roster adjustments... Just sayin'...

Milehighhawk

Reaction score
chris98251":2r9k0fgm said:

Richardson was a back up, till he got hurt, they had Baldwin back there, they had Kearse back there, they had a few others, remember the reason they drafted Lockett was to be a return guy hoping he could learn the WR spot. That shows you how important they felt the position was, to have a guy that showed he could return along with play a position such as RB was a bonus. The one knock is that he is 5'8" 205 pounds, smallish by most standards, and I didn't say he was Adrian Peterson, I said he has a different skill set and does some things better, he is not a power guy, he is not a run in space guy, he makes decisions faster and is more decisive then some of our other backs and is allusive.

I also like this.

So like running the ball consistently, not going down at first contact, keeping his leg moving, not dropping passes when wide open, he is a great blocker however.

I have no idea what 'this' is, I thought it was a discussion on a message board?

Regardless, those are terrible examples, all those players already had secured positions on the 53 for their PRIMARY role, for multiple years. Lockett's talent was undeniable form the jump at an ELITE level. Pope doesn't have ELITE return ability that he has shown. It's a bad argument.

You presume to know a lot from some limited action in preseason games. We disagree on Pope's upside, that's all.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Chapow":3qd327dq said:
TwistedHusky":3qd327dq said:

HAHAHAHAHA! Scratching to get a 1 game lead at the end of the year?!? PUHLEASE!!! We're going to be out of playoff contention by week 3 with this HUGE list of unbelievably moronic decisions by Pete and John this year!

Not sure if serious

chris98251

Reaction score
Milehighhawk":1p1z8hpi said:
chris98251":1p1z8hpi said:

I also like this.

I have no idea what 'this' is, I thought it was a discussion on a message board?

Regardless, those are terrible examples, all those players already had secured positions on the 53 for their PRIMARY role, for multiple years. Lockett's talent was undeniable form the jump at an ELITE level. Pope doesn't have ELITE return ability that he has shown. It's a bad argument.

You presume to know a lot from some limited action in preseason games. We disagree on Pope's upside, that's all.

The skill sets you say Collins brings on potential that he has not shown at all consistently, but then again the argument has been empty from the start.

Also I am not the only one that see's a lot of this, there are like 5 threads debating this, as far as knowing a lot, the numbers and eye test shows that he has a contributing skill set that would work in the NFL.

Chapow

Reaction score
chris98251":h3vl835i said:
...remember the reason they drafted Lockett was to be a return guy hoping he could learn the WR spot.

OK, I'm sorry, but that statement is just flat out asinine.

Of course every player going from college to the NFL has a lot to learn, but Lockett was not just an excellent returner in college, he was also an exceptional WR. He had over 100 receptions for over 1500 yards and 11 TDs as a senior and his junior year was almost as good.

chris98251

Reaction score
Chapow":1plpmiq3 said:
chris98251":1plpmiq3 said:
...remember the reason they drafted Lockett was to be a return guy hoping he could learn the WR spot.

Of course every player going from college to the NFL has a lot to learn, but Lockett was not just an excellent returner in college, he was also an exceptional WR. He had over 100 receptions for over 1500 yards and 11 TDs as a senior and his junior year was almost as good.

They did not expect him to be a guy that was going to contribute much as a WR with Kearse, Baldwin and Richardson as the first three, they stated he surprised them and pushed his way to playing time. He did the rest.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Chapow":4qryi99j said:
chris98251":4qryi99j said:

Great point Chapow. Nobody in their right mind drafts a kick returner (just a KR) in the 3rd round. Usually those are taken in the later rounds of the draft. Lockett was a polished WR that had amazing KR ability. That's why he was a 3rd rounder and probably should have gone even higher.

As for Collins, he's spot on the 53 man roster was cemented when they chose to release Tukuafu. Collins is the best blocking back on the team. That's why he made the top 53. He can develop as a complete running back. Blocking is a definite need for the Seahawks and they have a player who does it solid in Collins. Why they kept Prosise over Pope is the real question, IMO. That one has me smh.

Hawks46

Reaction score
kearly":6h0qyt4s said:
Stupid choice, stupid reasoning. Can you imagine if they tried banking on this reasoning with Thomas Rawls last year?

But hey, sometimes bad choices have lucky results. I'm rooting for a lucky result.

I may be having memory lapse, but I don't remember Rawls making the 53 man roster out of TC. Thought he was on the PS for a bit.

kearly

Reaction score
McGruff":2hp8zdbt said:
Yet somehow the fact they got it right last year's makes you think they got it wrong this year? I don't understand the logic.

2015: Good process -> Good result.
2016: Opposite process -> Probably the opposite result.

Hawks46":2hp8zdbt said:
I may be having memory lapse, but I don't remember Rawls making the 53 man roster out of TC. Thought he was on the PS for a bit.

You had a memory lapse. It happens to the best of us.

http://www.fieldgulls.com/2015/9/5/9266 ... in/9024318

chris98251":2hp8zdbt said:

And really, this whole "great blocker" narrative is based off of exactly one great block. He also whiffed on a block in the first game that led to a sack, but that doesn't get talked about.

Collins had some nice blocks in college but wasn't used in protection all that much. It would be fair to say he has potential to be a good blocker once he acclimates to it, but typically rookies struggle with NFL blitz pickups and I would expect the same for Collins.

Of course, Pope was probably never going to be a plus blocker at his size. So it would be fair to give the blocking edge to Collins. That said, it's still a silly decision by Seattle. Hopefully they get away with it. At times in the past, they haven't.