Report: Former Saints DE Will Smith shot dead in New Orleans

Jville

Reaction score
dontbelikethat":11avwafz said:
Well, things getting more interesting, shows why you shouldn't be so quick to jump to conclusions.

Cellphone video taken moments after former New Orleans Saints star Will Smith was shot dead recorded an unidentified bystander saying the athlete was the first to claim to have a gun.

The witness doesn’t name the men exchanging angry words — but he seems to accuse Smith of being the aggressor before he was killed in the Lower Garden District at about 11:30 p.m. Saturday.

“This guy was like, ‘Get out of the f–king car, I have a gun,’ ” the witness said allegedly of Smith in footage posted Monday by the New Orleans Times-Picayune.

“And he [supposedly then referring to suspect Cardell Hayes] goes, ‘F–k y’all, I got one, too,’ and he [Hayes] grabs a gun and shoots him [Smith] in the back. He’s dead.”

http://nypost.com/2016/04/11/witness-sa ... had-a-gun/

Video shows Will Smith's car hitting Cardell Hayes' car and then driving off. Looks like Smith was the one doing the hit and run.

http://www.fox8live.com/story/31697131/ ... -is-killed

Dude might get off if he can convince people that Will Smith was going back to his car to get a gun/weapon. No details whether a weapon was in Smith's car as of yet.

Oh' my .... if all of that checks out, Will Smith may have made a series of mistakes that contributed to his own death. There may be some hard lessons to be discerned from all of this.

Chapow

Reaction score
Jville":9pddhp07 said:
dontbelikethat":9pddhp07 said:
Well, things getting more interesting, shows why you shouldn't be so quick to jump to conclusions.

Cellphone video taken moments after former New Orleans Saints star Will Smith was shot dead recorded an unidentified bystander saying the athlete was the first to claim to have a gun.

The witness doesn’t name the men exchanging angry words — but he seems to accuse Smith of being the aggressor before he was killed in the Lower Garden District at about 11:30 p.m. Saturday.

“This guy was like, ‘Get out of the f–king car, I have a gun,’ ” the witness said allegedly of Smith in footage posted Monday by the New Orleans Times-Picayune.

“And he [supposedly then referring to suspect Cardell Hayes] goes, ‘F–k y’all, I got one, too,’ and he [Hayes] grabs a gun and shoots him [Smith] in the back. He’s dead.”

Video shows Will Smith's car hitting Cardell Hayes' car and then driving off. Looks like Smith was the one doing the hit and run.

Dude might get off if he can convince people that Will Smith was going back to his car to get a gun/weapon. No details whether a weapon was in Smith's car as of yet.

Oh' my .... if all of that checks out, Will Smith may have made a series of mistakes that contributed to his own death. There may be some hard lessons to be discerned from all of this.

When "keepin' it real" goes wrong.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Jville":2mvtpdwp said:
dontbelikethat":2mvtpdwp said:

Yeah it sure looks as if he thought Smith was going to get his gun which was in the truck.Tragic but manslaughter at best.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
Looks like a fully loaded gun was found in Smith's car.
NEW ORLEANS -- A fully-loaded 9-millimeter handgun was found inside the vehicle of former Saints player Will Smith on Tuesday morning, three days after Smith was shot and killed following a minor car crash, according to the New Orleans Police Department.

No ballistics evidence or shell casings were recovered to show that the weapon was fired, according to a news release by the NOPD. The NOPD, which executed a search warrant Tuesday, did not specify whether there was any indication that Smith ever held the weapon during the incident.

In his most spirited comments since Will Smith's tragic death, Saints QB Drew Brees called on society to take responsibility in fighting violence.
Pierre Thomas, who had just been out with Will Smith, still in disbelief

Pierre Thomas, who was with Will Smith on Saturday, still can't understand why Smith was killed and why gun violence is so prevalent in this country.

The attorney for Smith's alleged shooter, Cardell Hayes, suggested Monday that he believed the discovery of a second gun on the scene would help prove his client was not guilty of second-degree murder. Although the attorney, John Fuller, would not specify if he planned to claim self defense, he said his client was not the instigator and felt threatened.
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/15192 ... police-say

Waiting for Tyrann Mathieu's hot take...

ivotuk

Reaction score
I don't give a shit about all the precursors and talk. The coward shot Will Smith in the back, then shot his wife, twice!

There's no excuse for that!

If someone says they have a gun, you get back in your rig and drive away. At worst, you back way off so that you can haul ass if dude starts shooting. I would say nothing and back the hell off. But I wouldn't escalate. Try to deflect it to him and Law Enforcement. Not me.

In fact, I would not get out of the car. That's confrontational right there. Too many crazies and all they need is an excuse.

If he rips my door open and grabs for me, then he goes down. But not before. And with a Tazer. In most cases, there's no need for a gun.

That's what really pisses me off about today's TV shows, every confrontation the TV officers take the kill shot then "I don't need counseling, I'm tough and killing someone has zero effect on me." Bullshit. But most Americans these days equate TV with real life. It's idiotic.

Use non-lethal methods, unless they are brandishing a gun.

Our local Officers carry both a Tazer and a gun. They are trained to use non-lethal methods, but will not hesitate to protect themselves and others using lethal methods.

No, that P.O.S. needs lethal injection to give others pause before they pull that gun.

From ESPN 710 RADIO

Teal Linings is back and Brock, Bob and Groz try to find some positives after the Mariners' five game skid. Scott Servais sounded a little irritated after the loss yesterday and we have the sound.

Tyrann Mathieu has grown up a lot since joining the NFL and he recently shed some light on what it's like to grow up in New Orleans in the wake of the Will Smith shooting.

The Warriors have a chance to set the all-time NBA wins record tonight - Good news, Bad News, No News?

http://sports.mynorthwest.com/category/ ... and%20Salk

getnasty

Reaction score
I swear the espn article I read today said the dude shot his wife in each leg first and then shot Will Smith, anyone here that?

Kennewick_Man

Reaction score
Senseless and tragic. Having lived in Louisiana for 3 years, my only surprise is that people are surprised. NOLA, and much of Louisiana, is a deeply troubled place. Such a shame.

BlackandGolden

Reaction score
Kennewick_Man":34xtm6ki said:
Senseless and tragic. Having lived in Louisiana for 3 years, my only surprise is that people are surprised. NOLA, and much of Louisiana, is a deeply troubled place. Such a shame.

Hate to admit it, but yes it can be. I'm with ya. I have no worries about staying out here in Baton Rouge, but I can't say the same about NOLA though.

Had the killer escaped, I have no confidence in the NOPD in catching him. It's a shame that it takes the loss of a Saints player to really wake people up about the ridiculous crime rate out there.

Kennewick_Man

Reaction score
BlackandGolden":1fkkry3l said:
Kennewick_Man":1fkkry3l said:

Hate to admit it, but yes it can be. I'm with ya. I have no worries about staying out here in Baton Rouge, but I can't say the same about NOLA though.

Had the killer escaped, I have no confidence in the NOPD in catching him. It's a shame that it takes the loss of a Saints player to really wake people up about the ridiculous crime rate out there.

Agreed. I lived in Thibodaux before, during and after Katrina and the absolute failure of NOPD was deplorable. The things I experienced and witnessed that have never been reported in the national media is borderline criminal. Until we start calling what is going on in NOLA what it really is, the problem will never be fixed. Louisiana has so much to offer and so much of it is being destroyed by poverty and crime. Again, a shame.