Report: Geno told he will be retained in 2024

bigcc

Reaction score
The thing with Geno, is due to his contract structure we could easily cut him.

Gonna take the league by storm with the 200k workout bonus we save by cutting him 😂

His salary is guaranteed for the year, it'd actually be more expensive (this year) to cut him than keep him once you include even a rookie minimum.

Wed save 25 on next year, but that's quite literally what we would save cutting him AFTER THE SEASON as long as it's before the 5th day of the league starting (03/18 this year, so something like that + or - day or two)

I'm repeating to be clear, to people in general

GENO'S MONEY THIS YEAR IS GUARANTEED, IT'S MORE EXPENSIVE TO CUT HIM NOW THAN AFTER THE SEASON

We can't even use any of the of the 12.9 we'd save by trading him until after June 1 when most of free agency is over

If we traded him during the predraft or during, he can be designated June 1 so we don't literally lose cap space and get the 12.9, but again fa is pretty much over.

Literally the only reasons to move him are because

1. He won't be starter so they let him seek a trade

2. Some team offers something we can't refuse

That's literally it unless you think paying extra for a udfa backup is a better investment

Last edited:

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Gonna take the league by storm with the 200k workout bonus we save by cutting him 😂

His salary is guaranteed for the year, it'd actually be more expensive (this year) to cut him than keep him once you include even a rookie minimum.

Wed save 25 on next year, but that's quite literally what we would save cutting him AFTER THE SEASON as long as it's before the 5th day of the league starting (03/18 this year, so something like that + or - day or two)

GENO'S MONEY THIS YEAR IS GUARANTEED, IT'S MORE EXPENSIVE TO CUT HIM NOW THAN AFTER THE SEASON

We can't even use any of the of the 12.9 we'd save by trading him until after June 1 when most of free agency is over
I’m not saying right now, I’m saying later in his contract. We could easily move on from him next year with minimal damage. Probably wouldn’t be so with a Cousins character.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
So like any sane person expect more of the same 8-9/9-8 mediocrity at some point you have to take a risk and start drafting quarterbacks already. You can't keep doing the same thing and expect different results that's the very definition of insanity.

Geno is a known quantity and we know his ceiling he's good enough to keep us treading water but not good to make us a serious contender unless we suddenly became the 1985 Bears or similar.
Here is the deal though, Schneider is doing the rational thing given his job is on the line. As I said we don’t know how big of a leash Schneider has.

The presence of Geno doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re not going to draft a QB. It’s not an either or proposition. Both things can happen. Schneider learned from Wolfe over in GB. GB has always had the philosophy of developing their players on the bench behind established vets.

Schneider has openly been flirting with QB prospects since near the end of the RW era. Schneider is under no delusions that Geno is the guy going forward.

In fact we could even still potentially trade him. Schneider has said a whole lot of things without saying anything.

Titus Pullo

Reaction score

If we traded him during the predraft or during, he can be designated June 1 so we don't literally lose cap space and get the 12.9, but again fa is pretty much over.

Literally the only reasons to move him are because

1. He won't be starter so they let him seek a trade

2. Some team offers something we can't refuse

That's literally it unless you think paying extra for a udfa backup is a better investment
3. He can be the backup QB and the rookie can start.

bigcc

Reaction score
3. He can be the backup QB and the rookie can start.
4. Reasons 1 and 2 are the only reasons to move him from basic value perspective so that doesn't apply

I say this as someone who wanted to cut him before 2/16 for the salary and guarantee, and trade him after that but before we guaranteed the roster bonus.

He is NOT going to be cut unless he gets in legal trouble or something.... It's cheaper to let him be the backup than cut him, and teams are probably as interested in trading for him as you are keeping him

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Here is the deal though, Schneider is doing the rational thing given his job is on the line. As I said we don’t know how big of a leash Schneider has.

The presence of Geno doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re not going to draft a QB. It’s not an either or proposition. Both things can happen. Schneider learned from Wolfe over in GB. GB has always had the philosophy of developing their players on the bench behind established vets.

Schneider has openly been flirting with QB prospects since near the end of the RW era. Schneider is under no delusions that Geno is the guy going forward.

In fact we could even still potentially trade him. Schneider has said a whole lot of things without saying anything.
That's all I want is to get serious and start drafting quarterbacks sooner then later. Figure out a way to get into the middle of the second round if you don't want to draft a quarterback in the 1st round there will still be some interesting possibilities still available. I really don't think JS can just wait until the 3rd round or later this time.

Titus Pullo

Reaction score
4. Reasons 1 and 2 are the only reasons to move him from basic value perspective so that doesn't apply

I say this as someone who wanted to cut him before 2/16 for the salary and guarantee, and trade him after that but before we guaranteed the roster bonus.

He is NOT going to be cut unless he gets in legal trouble or something.... It's cheaper to let him be the backup than cut him, and teams are probably as interested in trading for him as you are keeping him
It's going to hard to watch another boring season of Geno.

bigcc

Reaction score
It's going to hard to watch another boring season of Geno.
At the very least, the offense will look different in scheme compared to the last decade (for better or worse), and I can only speak for myself, but I'm fascinated to see what Macdonald does with the defense because frankly I don't know what base D is even going to line up like

Titus Pullo

Reaction score
At the very least, the offense will look different in scheme compared to the last decade (for better or worse), and I can only speak for myself, but I'm fascinated to see what Macdonald does with the defense because frankly I don't know what base D is even going to line up like
LMAO..... Base D? Yawn.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
That's all I want is to get serious and start drafting quarterbacks sooner then later. Figure out a way to get into the middle of the second round if you don't want to draft a quarterback in the 1st round there will still be some interesting possibilities still available. I really don't think JS can just wait until the 3rd round or later this time.
I want that too, but remember -- I think a lot of our aversion to drafting QB's had to more to do with Carroll than anyone else. Carroll was calling the shots until now. From the moment RW arrived, Carroll coddled Wilson. Schneider did not have the final say on anything until this offseason. Carroll even said, now Schneider has the keys to the franchise when he left.

We also have to remember, the year that Wilson was traded was absolutely dismal for QBs. Brock Purdy is the only starting caliber QB from that draft

For better or worse I suspect things are going to look a lot different with Schneider calling all of the shots.

Last edited:

bigcc

Reaction score
LMAO..... Base D? Yawn.
.... What?

Base D is pretty much just a personnel grouping, easier way of saying what I meant I guess is that I don't know what the typical count of db/dl/lb is going to be

Base can be 4-3/3-4/5-2/nickel/dime etc

Last edited:

Titus Pullo

Reaction score
.... What?

Base D is pretty much just a personnel grouping, easier way of saying what I meant I guess is that I don't know what the typical count of db/dl/lb is going to be

Base can be 4-3/3-4/5-2/nickel/dime etc
I know what it is...... Nobody cares as long as it works.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
I can't really argue with people who don't think we will, John doesn't have a history of taking QB's high, but honestly I just don't think anyone knows

I'd love to know WHEN the seahawks should draft a qb from the "shouldnt" crowd
Who here is saying we shouldn't draft a QB?

GemCity

Reaction score
Are we going to win the Superbowl in 2024? Probably not.
Is Geno a better QB than half the present quarterbacks? Yes.
Is Geno a better QB than say... Trent Dilfer? I would say yes.
Will we be able to draft the next best franchise QB in April? Not likely to no.
Can they start rebuilding this team and begin to compete in the playoffs again? Yes.
View attachment 65291View attachment 65292
This…100% this. We aren’t in a position draft wise to make a real grab at a QBotF without sacrificing so much that we’d be non-competitive for years to come.

But, there’s a chance that there is an under the radar QB that could develop into something big. Always a chance.

The Seahawks have been successful…and here’s the dilemma. I pray this team is never in a position to draft top 3…unless it’s via trade. If we do draft that high, we absolutely sucked the previous year. I know there’s some that feel differently but look how many early picks have been busts.

Definitely a crapshoot….I just don’t think we’re in a terrible situation having a guy like Geno back there. We have holes everywhere…and QB isn’t the priority (right now).

Even with that said, I’m hoping JS sees a guy that no one else is really checking for. A 5th or 6th round type guy that can sit an learn a year or two behind Geno. Again…roll the dice…it’s a crapshoot. This definitely needs to happen if Lock signs elsewhere.

But if we’re not making a huge push, such as trading up to grab a guy, I wouldn’t snatch up the 5th or 6th projected QB at pick 16. Value wise, that makes zero sense.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
Well, a lot of people here don't think we will or should draft a qb, in which case he would be pretty much it for 18 weeks. I guess we'll see.
What is a 'lot' and who makes up this 'lot'? I feel like most people here who are positive about what Geno adds as a starting QB also have been advocating drafting a QB as well.

I personally am not against drafting a QB, but I am *GIF of head exploding* by the number of people who seem to want to simultaneously tank to clear draft space but also draft our 'QBOTF' now in order to, I don't know... have him be the face of a terrible team?

The majority of the other fans think geno is going to somehow improve at 34 years old, with the same weapons and an incredibly inexperienced coaching staff.

But I'm sure age had NOTHING to do with his regression, and will be back in 2022 form.

And then since we aren't drafting a qb, we're on 35 y/o geno contract year in literally the same position except he's older and it's a significantly worse draft class from a qb perspective compared to this time last year when both Caleb and maye would have gone first.

Brilliant dog, top shelf
But what part of his regression are you pinning on age? I think some of his regression was age related because he was hurt a lot more this season than 2022. But in terms of on field performance or things where you'd go 'he's getting old and slow', Geno was EXCEPTIONAL at avoiding sacks this year, statistically vastly improved from where he was in 2022. In fact, outside of this year, Geno's biggest liability as a Seahawk was taking sacks and he all of a sudden became very good at it.

Everything down about Geno's performance (and our offense as a whole) regressing seemed to be related to the offensive line and Waldron's inability to scheme around that patchwork line. Our running game regressed worse than Geno did this year, but nobody wants to cut Walker or Charbonnet or thinks they're too old.

If you actually look at our breakdown per down, the entirety of Geno's regression seems to have occurred on third down. On early downs, Geno either performed about the same (1st downs) or improved (2nd downs) since last year. On 3rd down, though, when defenses know they could pin their ears back, our ANY/A goes way down from last year even though Geno was both A) Better at avoiding sacks and B) Actually had a slightly better yards per pass attempt.

In contrast, our running game was worse on every single down.

GemCity

Reaction score
2021, Trevor lawrence is the only one who works out.
2022, Brock Purdy, last of the last.
2023, CJ Stroud.

By all means draft someone, I like penis given his history with two of the now coaches. But theres No reason to trade up.
I’d add an ‘x’ somewhere if I were you 😉

bigcc

Reaction score
I want that too, but remember -- I think a lot of our aversion to drafting QB's had to more to do with Carroll than anyone else. Carroll was calling the shots until now. From the moment RW arrived, Carroll coddled Wilson. Schneider did not have the final say on anything until this offseason. Carroll even said, now Schneider has the keys to the franchise when he left.

We also have to remember, the year that Wilson was traded was absolutely dismal for QBs. Brock Purdy is the only starting caliber QB from that draft

For better or worse I suspect things are going to look a lot different with Schneider calling all of the shots.
I see fans say this shit all the time.

How is it that carroll simultaneously called the shots, yet isn't the one responsible for moving Wilson?

Y'all so desperate to disparage Pete on the way out that you (fans in general) literally make shit like this up, with literally nothing to support it