Reports: Ndamukong Suh wants to sign with Seahawks

Status
Not open for further replies.

marko358

Reaction score
Hawkfish":2ecflrr6 said:
Getting Suh improves your offense immediately. Offense, you say? Field position. Shorter field off 3 and outs, TO, etc. would result in more scoring, IMO.
We land him and our odds at winning Superb Owl 50 increase even more.

kearly

Reaction score
Scottemojo":34fdpdrs said:
Things to think about.

Seattle can't say word one about being interested. Still not to free agency, and Detroit just might be dumb enough to franchise the guy.

Avril was his teammate. Avril took a prove it deal and stayed. I don't think a prove it deal is an option for Suh at all, I am merely commenting about the good vibes he might be getting from Avril. Seattle can't say jack shit about Suh, but Avril can say all he wants. It has not been a secret taht Suh is unhappy with the way Detroit does business for a while now, perhaps he wants a front office he hears good things about.

I still think money will rule the day, and when the bidding gets to 20 million, Suh will be somewhere else. But in the event he goes to the team he grew up rooting for, I will be a happy dude.

It's a shame Suh is already 28. Had he been say 25, he could have signed with Seattle the same way Lebron did with the Heat. A brief commitment in his prime purely for the purpose of ensuring a ring.

I really hope to be wrong, but I suspect Seattle has no plans to pursue Suh at all. John Schneider is always looking at least 3 years ahead, with regards to the draft, with regards to his financial planning, etc. It's been no secret that Suh was very likely to hit UFA this offseason, and I also doubt that JS just recently deduced that a guy from Portland might want to be a Seahawk. With those factors in mind, JS still went out and paid KJ Wright 7 million a year to stick around, and paid Avril to stay too. Avril I understand, but Wright makes no sense to me at all if the teams offseason goals involved a run at Suh.

raisethe3

Reaction score
^^^Now that you mentioned it, Wright at 7 million is a bit too much. He has flaws. Gronk exposed him big time.

Rat

Reaction score
raisethe3":34odhav4 said:
^^^Now that you mentioned it, Wright at 7 million is a bit too much. He has flaws. Gronk exposed him big time.
On one play. If the ability to cover Rob Gronkowski one-on-one is the standard by which LBs are judged, every LB in the league is overrated and overpaid.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
kearly":weck7mgz said:
Scottemojo":weck7mgz said:
Things to think about.

Seattle can't say word one about being interested. Still not to free agency, and Detroit just might be dumb enough to franchise the guy.

Avril was his teammate. Avril took a prove it deal and stayed. I don't think a prove it deal is an option for Suh at all, I am merely commenting about the good vibes he might be getting from Avril. Seattle can't say jack shit about Suh, but Avril can say all he wants. It has not been a secret taht Suh is unhappy with the way Detroit does business for a while now, perhaps he wants a front office he hears good things about.

I still think money will rule the day, and when the bidding gets to 20 million, Suh will be somewhere else. But in the event he goes to the team he grew up rooting for, I will be a happy dude.

It's a shame Suh is already 28. Had he been say 25, he could have signed with Seattle the same way Lebron did with the Heat. A brief commitment in his prime purely for the purpose of ensuring a ring.

Consider that they are different sports entirely. James could do so, because he was making a bazillion dollars at 19.

Suh got paid great too. But Suh plays in the NFL. Where teams can control a player to a much greater degree.

Also too, consider that an NFL players' prime is generally much shorter than a basketball players' prime. At 28, Suh is probably within the first third of his prime years (26 to 32) for a player of his position.

This is realistically Suh's first chance to really determine where he wants to play in his career. It's also realistically his last chance. The Lions could franchise him again but the cost would be astronomical at this juncture. In an odd way, this really is kind of Suh's 'sign with the Heat' opportunity. Because if he chases the money in Jacksonville or Oakland -- he may as well consider his window of a championship closed for his career. He won't leave those barren rosters until he is past his prime and trying to get a ring like Kevin Williams did here.

I don't want to be arguing from a hope standpoint. But your analogy is something I myself have considered too. And given the reality of the NFL's punishment on the body -- plus the ability for bad teams to lock in players to the beginning of their primes -- this really could easily be Suh's last option to make a mark in the league.

I would offer the example of Richard Seymour as a more applicable analogy for what Suh is looking at now. Seymour had opportunity to win in New England. But not the riches to satisfy the remainder of his life. He finished a well paid, if uneventful and frustrating career with the Raiders.

Suh has the riches now. And he has to know, that taking a deal with Oakland or Jacksonville is very likely going to result in not seeing a wild card appearance until he's in the last year or two of his prime. His window to earn a championship and be an integral part of it is very narrow.

While yes, I hope he considers Seattle and would hope we consider him too -- ultimately I can see a very compelling argument for why he could spurn the likes of Oakland and Jacksonville for less money.

raisethe3

Reaction score
Rat":i5hom7cx said:
raisethe3":i5hom7cx said:
On one play. If the ability to cover Rob Gronkowski one-on-one is the standard by which LBs are judged, every LB in the league is overrated and overpaid.

Wait, you mean to tell me, that elite guys like Pat Willis, Bowman, Luke Kuechly, Justin Houston, etc can't cover Rob?

McGruff

Reaction score
jkitsune":efke8n1m said:
Ruminator":efke8n1m said:
kjreid":efke8n1m said:
Ruminator":efke8n1m said:
Given the choice between Suh and a top-five OL who's a savvy and durable steel wall, I'd opt for the latter. The less Russ gets chased around like a peanut butter-covered rodent being chased around by a hungry dog, the more points our offense scores. I think that's what we need most right now.
Unfortunately we need better WR if we want to keep RW in the pocket. Let's face it we complete passes because he hold the ball moves the pocket or breaks the pocket and our WR get open. Our WR corp cannot get separation

Both are needs.

This is honestly the bigger reason I don't think we should spend on Suh. I think an equivalent amount of money could produce greater results by being spent on the other side of the ball. I'm very comfortable with Mebane, Hill, and others at DT.

But there is no top 5 savvy and durable steel wall OL in this FA class, nor is there an elite WR who would choose to play in a run first offense.

So given the fact that neither of those are going to happen, why not spend the money on a top-2 three down DT who plays with fire and a mean streak.

Veilside

Reaction score
raisethe3":1x5ev065 said:

Damn, it would be pretty disappointing if we missed out on Suh because of overpaying Wright. Especially with KPL showing such potential.

netskier

Reaction score
No one drafted gets to choose where they play, so draft an elite wide receiver to fill the obvious need that you identified.

Rat

Reaction score
raisethe3":2h4tqv18 said:
Rat":2h4tqv18 said:
raisethe3":2h4tqv18 said:

Wait, you mean to tell me, that elite guys like Pat Willis, Bowman, Luke Kuechly, Justin Houston, etc can't cover Rob?

That's a pretty diverse group of LBs you picked. Any of them are vulnerable in coverage one-on-one against Gronk.

chris98251

Reaction score
raisethe3":3h0qlxce said:
Rat":3h0qlxce said:
raisethe3":3h0qlxce said:

They couldn't cover Miller, what makes you think they could cover Gronk, I know our TE's have one catch against each of those teams.

JGreen79

Reaction score
raisethe3":2fo55q2f said:
Rat":2fo55q2f said:
raisethe3":2fo55q2f said:

Not sure who covered him with these however.. he has never played against SF.

Against Carolina last year he had 5 catches for 59 yards and a touchdown.

Against Kansas City this year he went for 2 catches for 31 yards and a touchdown, and in 2012 he went for 4 catches for 96 yards and 2 touchdowns. And Houston is more of a pass rusher anyway.

In 2012 against Seattle - 6 catches for 61 yards no touchdowns, In the super bowl - 6 catches for 68 yards and a touchdown.

Gronk is elite, and judging a LB by the ability to cover him. is almost the same as saying a CB is overrated and overpaid if he can't cover Calvin Johnson.

nwHawk

Reaction score
quote="dutchman063"]where the hell we going to get high ticket free agent money? oh thats right... nowhere[/quote]

If Suh is willing to sign for something around 4/40 + $8 million signing bonus I think it's a real possibility. That would avg about $12mil/yr. Consider Bennett and Avril each recently signed at 4/28.5.

Cut: Okung - save $5mil (start Bailey)
McDaniel save $3 mil
Move on from Schofield (need a little more speed)

Restructure: Mebane - get his cap number down from 5.7 to 3.2 mil (situational player)

If you cut Mebane, which I prefer not to do, it would save us $5.5 mil. Cutting Okung, Mebane and McDaniel would save $13.5 million. That leaves an extra 1.5 million next year, which could go toward rewarding Marshawn Lynch, or toward the 2015 free agent pool. Keep in mind Kevin Williams signed last year for 1yr/2.1 mil.

TheHawkster

Reaction score
There is a real possibility that Mebane will never be the same after the injury.
It happens all the time....

OP
OP
lukerguy

lukerguy

Reaction score
Yeah, but how do you find out if Mebane is ever going to be the same again? I've never heard of anything with a hamstring injury to the extent that the muscle ripped off the bone.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
nwHawk":356vktwb said:
If you cut Mebane, which I prefer not to do, it would save us $5.5 mil. Cutting Okung, Mebane and McDaniel would save $13.5 million. That leaves an extra 1.5 million next year, which could go toward rewarding Marshawn Lynch, or toward the 2015 free agent pool. Keep in mind Kevin Williams signed last year for 1yr/2.1 mil.

You're not cutting Okung, he's making average money for a top 10 LT.

Now not offering Carpenter a new deal? That does save you 2-3M a year.

ManBunts

Reaction score
I'm sorry but I don't want Suh. He's good, yes, but I don't want a player that dirty. I don't want that to tarnish our team. I don't want to have to deal with homers from other teams that use him as an excuse to call us all dirty players.

Mebane back healthy, Hill healthy, workup Marsh, resign Williams, get all that done and our D-line is fierce. I think we're all still a little bent out of shape about the Super Bowl and how our defense didn't hold, forgetting that a full 3/4 of our starters were injured. There's nobody to replace. Just lots of guys that need some R&R

Melencause

Reaction score
I don't think we could smartly afford him. But Mebane Bennet Avril Suh on a line...makes me quiver.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
ManBunts":lgxy0ai0 said:
I'm sorry but I don't want Suh. He's good, yes, but I don't want a player that dirty. I don't want that to tarnish our team. I don't want to have to deal with homers from other teams that use him as an excuse to call us all dirty players.

Mebane back healthy, Hill healthy, workup Marsh, resign Williams, get all that done and our D-line is fierce. I think we're all still a little bent out of shape about the Super Bowl and how our defense didn't hold, forgetting that a full 3/4 of our starters were injured. There's nobody to replace. Just lots of guys that need some R&R

Why?

Why do any of you care what fans from other teams think about this team? Christ on a bike. If it isn't Suh, someone will find some reason to rip your team. Best response is wins.

If people don't want Suh because of the money, or his perceived locker room disruptions, or maybe that his impact on a good rotation isnt commensurate with the money paid, or who we would have to let go, then sure. But who cares if some jabroni from Green Bay or Baltimore or Dallas or Arizona thinks our team is dirty?

A

Anonymous

We all know what a dominating D-lineman can do for a defense. The loss of Mebane early on and the offseason departures meant an expanding role for Bennett. Not having the luxury of the same rotation keeping guys fresh made a significant change in defensive production this season over last season. IMO, the loss of Clemons was the most significant as the next man up just wasn't there with the needed levels of performance. In the SB, for example, NE just made sure to block Bennett wherever he lined up and trusted the one-on-ones with the other guys.

That being said, and since JJ Watt isn't available, a guy like Suh can and would give us a proven piece of the puzzle needed to get the line back into whack. I do not see the issues Suh has had with dirtiness happening with the Hawks. I just don't. I think he was in a situation in Detroit where he was faced with frustration on numerous levels, most of the time. If he came here he would still be getting doubled on every snap, but the scoreboard results would wipe all the frustration part out of the equation.

I like the idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts