Seahawks trade for Terrelle Pryor

Marvin49

Reaction score
CANHawk":m5ah88pg said:
Marvin49":m5ah88pg said:
SalishHawkFan":m5ah88pg said:
Pryor looked awful....on the Raiders. The Raiders are such a crap team with no offense. Matt Flynn is not a BAD QB. He kept the Packers in the playoff hunt when he subbed for Rodgers. He is a competent #2 QB. On the Raiders he looked awful. So just because Pryor looked bad doesn't really tell us much about his potential. What DOES tell us something is the times he actually looked GOOD for the Raiders. It tells us he HAS potential.

We got him for a 7th rd pick. That's a fantastic 7th rd. pick.

LOL. Not gonna comment on his potential because he's a great athlete...just laughing at the argument about the team he was on sucking so we really don't know anything. It is of course completely true, but I didn't hear many people saying that here when the 49ers acquired Blaine Gabbert.

No worries. Just funny.

True, but I think Gabbert's probably gone a little too far down the same street David Carr went down; ie. he poops his pants and falls into the fetal position every time someone brushes past him on the street.

Could very well be true. Then again I never thought anyone could do something with Alex Smith. Just a 6 in a draft where they had 12 picks. Worth a shot. Odd though that Niners didn't make a greater effort for Pryor when they still had 11 of those picks and 3 in round 7.

seatt1eslew

Reaction score
I'm sure this has come up, so sorry for the redundancy.

I see this similar to real estate reclamation projects. Obtain something that was once valued highly, but no longer commands the market value it once did, restore it, and flip it for a profit.

Even if all Pryor provides is scout team value, it's not much of an investment. But, if he improves his market value, and Hawks retain him long enough, he could command more than a 7th RD pick in future years.

At a minimum, uniquely talented scout team QB. If he turns into a WR great, but most QBs who transferred to WR from college, did it immediately. Soft hands are hard to find, but who knows.

Polaris

Reaction score
Marvin49":19e860i9 said:
Could very well be true. Then again I never thought anyone could do something with Alex Smith. Just a 6 in a draft where they had 12 picks. Worth a shot. Odd though that Niners didn't make a greater effort for Pryor when they still had 11 of those picks and 3 in round 7.

Maybe they did. This is just speculation on my part, but Pryor was traded at his own request (not that the Raiders weren't going to do this anyway). It might well be that Pryor was more willing to be traded to Seattle than to San Fran and that affected the trade price.

tom sawyer

Reaction score
CANHawk":3ahiuvhy said:
Scottemojo":3ahiuvhy said:
My honest take after some time to think about it. Some thoughts.

Seattle did not trade a pick to examine Pryor. We have enough 7th rounders and UDFA's on this team not to cheaply give them away. Any trade for Pryor would have included talks with both Pryor and his agent.

This is the ragged end of Pete getting his hands on college players he has seen since they were high school phenoms. Harvin, Pryor, both are superior athletes that it isn't easy to label the skill set.

The big question for me is position switch. Pryor and Rosenhaus have had at least 4 weeks now to understand that the NFL has very little interest in him as a QB. Pryor is facing a contract year where he makes only 705,000.00 and the prospect that any team that signs him to play QB will not be looking to give him anything but a 3rd QB deal. Financially, for 2014 at least, being open to showing his athleticism at other positions has to be on the table. Up to now, Pryor has been adamant that he is not only a QB, but a starter. It was Pryor who demanded the trade when Schaub was signed. Whether he did so under advice from Drew is unclear, but I doubt that is the case. It has been 4 weeks since that demand, and the flood of phone calls likely expected by Pryor never materialized. This isn't like his pro day, where 17 teams showed up (Seattle was not one of them). IMO, the only reason besides pride Pryor has for wanting to be a starter at QB is money. 4 weeks facing the fact that the NFL is not lining up to give him a shot at QB money has to be a wake up call of sorts. Drew Rosenhaus may be a turd, but he is not an idiot about money. If Pryor wants an NFL payday, for 2015 at least it is not going to be at QB, but it could be at WR.

The Seattle front office has already publicly labeled him an athlete, not a QB. Pryor fits the Seattle prototype at WR. His NFL prospects at QB are dim, but at WR they are not. Seattle already has an athlete at WR who blurs positional lines, Harvin can impact a game without seeing hardly a single pass. To me, all signs point to similarly blurred lines positionally for Pryor. I expect in the coming days for some word to leak out about just such a thing.

This is kinda where my head is at. You have to believe that Drew Rosenhaus (or whoever at his agency is looking after Pryor) has seen how the whole Tim Tebow saga went down, especially in regard to Tim's bone headed refusal to change positions, and will at some point get in his ear about it. After all, it's hard to get *Paid* if you aren't even in the league.

And regardless of position, Pryor is a phenom athlete. If you haven't noticed, we tend to put a big premium on phenom athletes. We have a great coaching staff that can teach a guy the finer points of playing H-Back (or Fullback, or Flanker, or whatever) but they can't teach a guy how to be 6'4" and run a 4.38 40.

meh ... could be.

Actually quite an astute assessment I say.

McGruff

Reaction score
kidhawk":3d4gqx6s said:
chrispy":3d4gqx6s said:
We all tend to look at it from the Seahawks' view, our FO. What about from Pryor's view? What would make this a destination he'd want? There one big reason he wouldn't want to come here. There's not much chance he'll start.

But he knows he'll get an honest chance to compete. He beat out Flynn in Oakland. RW beat out Flynn here. He may believe that he could beat out RW. At the very least, he knows, if he shows talent, he'll get snaps with the #1 team. Whether it's a draw for him or not, PC/JS know that hanging out with RW will increase his value whether it's at QB or WR or just as a person.

I would think that PC/JS told him that he could compete at QB. When have they ever indicated that competition is a negative. (Maybe it'll motivate RW since he obviously is taking this offseason lightly :sarcasm_on: ) ... and they have the credibility that he should believe them.

But I would further guess that they said, "If you don't win the starting QB job, would you give another, hybrid/unique position a shot?" It's really Pryor's best situation. He gets the chance to win a starting QB job with a fall-back of playing in another role. -And it's beleivable- Other teams (including SF) probably said the same thing but he should know that, in reality, he's being brought in as a back-up QB. No other team is credible when they say, "Come compete against our ingrained starter." He knows he'd be the scout team QB anywhere else. Here, he determines his own destiny.

We can all predict that he won't beat our RW, but doesn't it make sense that he'd just want one last chance. And Seattle was the only place where he believed he'd get one. Look at Oakland: He won the job but then got thrown under the bus when the team underperformed (from his perspective it's probably not his fault.) Then, if he doesn't start at QB, he still has the opportunity to end up in a similar role to what every other team is currently offering- backup or different position or hybrid.

There's good reason for PC/JS to bring him in too. As stated above, isn't it obvious that a significant amount of time as RW's understudy will increase his value? You've got TJack and RW showing you the ropes. He could be flipped to the Jags for a 2015 5th rounder after camp.

Pryor's opinion only matters in so much as the attitude he brings. He doesn't have a no trade clause in his contract with the Raiders (that I'm aware of), so he really has no say in the matter. The fact that he wants an opportunity to start means only that there is less of a chance that we retain him after this season, but if our locker room is as good as the players seem to say that it is, a year in the system could change his mind. All in all, it's a low risk move considering his cost and the pick we gave up to get him.

TJack can tell him all about that. Wanted a trade to compete with another team. Got it. Couldn't wait to come back.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Polaris":3c1quoed said:
Marvin49":3c1quoed said:

Maybe they did. This is just speculation on my part, but Pryor was traded at his own request (not that the Raiders weren't going to do this anyway). It might well be that Pryor was more willing to be traded to Seattle than to San Fran and that affected the trade price.

? Highly doubt the Raiders gave him the choice.

Polaris

Reaction score
Marvin49":2b4mk7n5 said:
Polaris":2b4mk7n5 said:
Marvin49":2b4mk7n5 said:

Why wouldn't they? If Pryor doesn't like a trade and he balks, then things can get ugly and it's not like he was a high value player. I am not suggesting in any way that he had much of a say, but I'd be equally suprised if he (or his agent) weren't at least consulted.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Someone on another board, suggested this is to put pressure on Rw for contract time, That they are serious about Pryor, and if they feel he can turn into a serviceable QB, they might let Rw walk and save money. The feeling by this person and a few others is the FO feels they can use any serviceable, mobile QB on this team. Mind you I do not for one minute believe that, but thee are some who do.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Polaris":162niq7k said:
Marvin49":162niq7k said:
Polaris":162niq7k said:
Marvin49":162niq7k said:

Why wouldn't they? If Pryor doesn't like a trade and he balks, then things can get ugly and it's not like he was a high value player. I am not suggesting in any way that he had much of a say, but I'd be equally suprised if he (or his agent) weren't at least consulted.

Right. Raiders have been trying to trade him for weeks and turned down a better offer to send him to Seattle. So he would be happier.

Come on now.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Anthony!":103ls14c said:
Someone on another board, suggested this is to put pressure on Rw for contract time, That they are serious about Pryor, and if they feel he can turn into a serviceable QB, they might let Rw walk and save money. The feeling by this person and a few others is the FO feels they can use any serviceable, mobile QB on this team. Mind you I do not for one minute believe that, but thee are some who do.

That's just the typical hyperbole you get from uneducated fans. Every move is about replacing the starter. RW ain't going anywhere and will become a very rich man next year.

Polaris

Reaction score
Marvin49":2yjb0ip6 said:
Right. Raiders have been trying to trade him for weeks and turned down a better offer to send him to Seattle. So he would be happier.

Come on now.

Come on, what I am suggesting isn't that outlandish. Obviously if the offer were a lot better (say a sixth vs a seventh), then no the Raiders would tell Pryor and his agent to sit down and shut up (unless Pryor had a no-trade clause in his contract which I doubt). However, if the offers were close (say the last 49ner 7th round pick vs Seattle's 7th round pick) then Pryor's happiness might be a consideration.

twelthmanfan

Reaction score
I can see us trading him with a pick to move up a few picks. Like buying property in a bad neighborhood. You buy it not because it's a huge investment, you buy it because you use it to barter, move around a little and walk away a little better. I bet he is moved before the end of the draft.

hangumhi

Reaction score
It's like an undervalued stock. Watch as the Hawks increase Pryor's stock value and when a team desperately needs a qb you trade high. Picking up Pryor was brilliant and gives the Hawks so much ppotential to buy low and sell high. Just have to wait for demand to pick up.

Happy

Reaction score
I picture Harvin, ADB, and pryor all running routes on a play action...and yeah that sounds really appealing. That's a lot of weapons to cover up...

Polaris

Reaction score
Marvin49":snugirov said:
Anthony!":snugirov said:

That's just the typical hyperbole you get from uneducated fans. Every move is about replacing the starter. RW ain't going anywhere and will become a very rich man next year.

I agree, but iron does sharpen iron. At least that's the philosophy that Seattle's F.O. and coaching staff believe in. While I can't imagine anyone (let alone Pryor) unseating Wilson, the 'hawks do believe that a highly competative environment tends to breed better performance and unlike a lot of NFL clubs are willing to really practice it money notwithstanding (see 2012 season and Flynn vs Wilson).

So I could see Pryor not just as QB insurance and an intriguing athletic prospect but as someone able to push Wilson in the QB room even if he is by no means even an unrealistic threat to Wilson.

And yes, I do think Wilson gets a nice fat contract next year (I am thinking 20mil/year neighborhood).

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Anthony!":1uwhkeo0 said:
Not happening. Either they really think he's a quarterback or there's a position change coming.

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
No0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o! NOT A 7TH ROUND PICK!!! AAAGGGGGGHHHHH!!!! MY HAIR!!!

Now we'll never get our hands on Bertrand Heimbigner of Goingnowhere State or the high coveted Charkley Dunkle out of THE University of Camp Fodder.

Seattle is DOOMED...we really needed to land one of those guys.

Polaris

Reaction score
TheRealDTM":34nmarqo said:
We should have taken the rights to Prince Fielder with our 7th.

Maybe the 'hawks scouting department should scout for the Mariners too.

Latest posts