Sherman: No relationship with Wilson

Sgt Largent

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":3vs834f5 said:
chris98251":3vs834f5 said:
Well he has done his job with some of the fans here, in your head, your shirt, your pants and in your shower, It's what he does and he has always done.

Many said they loved this and that he has always backed it up when he was here but would hate it if he was somewhere else, well guess what.

I bet all you that are all bent get pissed off when you see a ex wife or girlfriend that dumped you also.

This.

People are blowing this whole deal way out of proportion and haven't figured out he intentionally tries to get under opponents' skin. He's like a boxer talking smack to sell tickets, generate controversy and attention.

And it also proves how overly sensitive our culture is becoming since if an ex player doesn't load up a presser with hippie love and sweet nothings for his former team and QB then he must be pure evil. Heaven forbid he doesn't have a "relationship" with our robot rah rah QB-he's from Compton, Wilson grew up in upper middle class Virginia-they're from different worlds.

This is what's called hyperbole.. Really? The choices are Free Love Hippie vs The Devil? The Compton/Virginia thing.. Let's quit assigning quality of character and ability to make friends to economics, yeah?

A more measured take would be this. Sherman has maturity issues. People are complex (he and us) and we can still appreciate his ability and contributions to our previous teams, while being disappointed that he is unable to carry himself with much grace at all, if any. Because of his talent and accomplishments, he will always be associated and a representative of the Seahawks. I and many others would prefer it if he handled that better.

There's some other article floating around where Wagz is quoted as saying something like "Sherm, never wrong, he says sky purple, sky's purple, period". Never wrong is classic immaturity. All negatives are somebody else's fault and no personal accountability will be considered. Further, any success is purely individual and due to my 'specialness'. A grandiose sense of self, typically referred to as narcissism.

I chuckle at the "Sherm is a calculated genius" with his crass remarks and lack of respect for opponents (and former teammates apparently, alike). No he isn't. It's just his self image and world view oozing out of his mouth in front of a microphone.

The sad part for me is my belief that Sherman not still being on this team is ENTIRELY his fault. Injury didn't get him cut, his inability to protect and keep his focus on the team was his downfall. He's still a lot of growing up away from realizing that, and that disappoints me as a fan of the Seahawks that one day he will representing when he gets his HOF jersey.

I can be anywhere from indifferent to disgusted when he spills his narcissism all over the floor. And all the while I can also appreciate his talent and some of his better character qualities like hard work and determination.

Mostly, I can be and usually am sympathetic to what it must be like to live in perpetual turmoil and anger in order to continue to live in his self created narrative that runs like a skipped record in his head.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
This^ Sherman is not some super genius troll. He is simply giving the world a look into his mindset and mentality.

Edit: The best picture of that is the fact that Sherman blames the Seahawks Org and his injury on his departure rather than looking at himself and his actions to tear down his own team and teammates.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt Largent":3ltyekol said:
West TX Hawk":3ltyekol said:
chris98251":3ltyekol said:
Well he has done his job with some of the fans here, in your head, your shirt, your pants and in your shower, It's what he does and he has always done.

Many said they loved this and that he has always backed it up when he was here but would hate it if he was somewhere else, well guess what.

I bet all you that are all bent get pissed off when you see a ex wife or girlfriend that dumped you also.

This.

People are blowing this whole deal way out of proportion and haven't figured out he intentionally tries to get under opponents' skin. He's like a boxer talking smack to sell tickets, generate controversy and attention.

And it also proves how overly sensitive our culture is becoming since if an ex player doesn't load up a presser with hippie love and sweet nothings for his former team and QB then he must be pure evil. Heaven forbid he doesn't have a "relationship" with our robot rah rah QB-he's from Compton, Wilson grew up in upper middle class Virginia-they're from different worlds.

This is what's called hyperbole.. Really? The choices are Free Love Hippie vs The Devil? The Compton/Virginia thing.. Let's quit assigning quality of character and ability to make friends to economics, yeah?

A more measured take would be this. Sherman has maturity issues. People are complex (he and us) and we can still appreciate his ability and contributions to our previous teams, while being disappointed that he is unable to carry himself with much grace at all, if any. Because of his talent and accomplishments, he will always be associated and a representative of the Seahawks. I and many others would prefer it if he handled that better.

There's some other article floating around where Wagz is quoted as saying something like "Sherm, never wrong, he says sky purple, sky's purple, period". Never wrong is classic immaturity. All negatives are somebody else's fault and no personal accountability will be considered. Further, any success is purely individual and due to my 'specialness'. A grandiose sense of self, typically referred to as narcissism.

I chuckle at the "Sherm is a calculated genius" with his crass remarks and lack of respect for opponents (and former teammates apparently, alike). No he isn't. It's just his self image and world view oozing out of his mouth in front of a microphone.

The sad part for me is my belief that Sherman not still being on this team is ENTIRELY his fault. Injury didn't get him cut, his inability to protect and keep his focus on the team was his downfall. He's still a lot of growing up away from realizing that, and that disappoints me as a fan of the Seahawks that one day he will representing when he gets his HOF jersey.

I can be anywhere from indifferent to disgusted when he spills his narcissism all over the floor. And all the while I can also appreciate his talent and some of his better character qualities like hard work and determination.

Mostly, I can be and usually am sympathetic to what it must be like to live in perpetual turmoil and anger in order to continue to live in his self created narrative that runs like a skipped record in his head.

Agree 100%
Great post Lieutenant!

images

Sgt Largent

Reaction score
Popeyejones":39bgzjsh said:
What Doug Baldwin said is more critical of the Seahawks -- and was much more direct about it -- than what Richard Sherman said.

Just saying.

As for what Sherman said, there's not really any bulletin board material in there.

What's happening is that in these types of game week media cross-over calls people just BS and repeat Hallmark card phrases about their opponents.

Sherman, on the other hand, didn't do that, and honestly answered the questions that were posed to him.

It only stands out because he was honest rather than repeating bumper sticker slogans, which is what everyone else does.

If you're surprised that Richard Sherman honestly answered the questions that were posed to him, I have trouble believing that you have any familiarity with Richard Sherman.

Was surprised it took halfway down the second page to hit the "just being honest" alibi. It's usually the first line of defense when somebody really leans in to their "Dickery". Ultimate team sports breed a rare type of camaraderie. It's almost universally why when speaking of former teammates who gave you everything they had while you were with them, a player will find a way to show their appreciation for those individuals even if only modestly deserved.

The problem is, even on a 53 man team with eleventy seven coaches and assistants busting their asses to make the Seahawks successful, Sherman was playing golf. Wait, golfers get help from caddies. Sherman was playing tennis. Their coaches can't even speak to them during matches.

ALL HIM BABY!

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
If he is saying what he is saying now based on the fortunes of the 2 teams, can you imagine what we would be hearing if the preseason talk had been correct with the Niners battling the Rams near the top and the Hawks struggling? Yikes!

As for the cancer in the room part, yeah they may not have been cancers in the room but if you are getting young guys to believe in the coach's message and team first stuff, it has to be disruptive when some veterans who are the better players on the team are rolling their eyes or not buying in. From comments made from the younger players like Griffin they admired these guys. It would have been tough to get them to buy in when the guys they looked up to may not have anymore

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Sgt Largent":3v1vavia said:
Popeyejones":3v1vavia said:
What Doug Baldwin said is more critical of the Seahawks -- and was much more direct about it -- than what Richard Sherman said.

Just saying.

As for what Sherman said, there's not really any bulletin board material in there.

What's happening is that in these types of game week media cross-over calls people just BS and repeat Hallmark card phrases about their opponents.

Sherman, on the other hand, didn't do that, and honestly answered the questions that were posed to him.

It only stands out because he was honest rather than repeating bumper sticker slogans, which is what everyone else does.

If you're surprised that Richard Sherman honestly answered the questions that were posed to him, I have trouble believing that you have any familiarity with Richard Sherman.

Was surprised it took halfway down the second page to hit the "just being honest" alibi. It's usually the first line of defense when somebody really leans in to their "Dickery". Ultimate team sports breed a rare type of camaraderie. It's almost universally why when speaking of former teammates who gave you everything they had while you were with them, a player will find a way to show their appreciation for those individuals even if only modestly deserved.

The problem is, even on a 53 man team with eleventy seven coaches and assistants busting their asses to make the Seahawks successful, Sherman was playing golf. Wait, golfers get help from caddies. Sherman was playing tennis. Their coaches can't even speak to them during matches.

ALL HIM BABY!

I think we're saying the same thing.

99 times out of 100 in these media sessions people just recite Hallmark cards. In maybe 1 time out of 100 instead of a Hallmark card people go with bulletin board material about hating the other team or them sucking or something.

What Sherman said IS VERY atypical in that it wasn't really either of these things: he did what people never do and just honestly answered the questions. While that's very atypical overall, it is, I think, entirely typical of what we'd expect Richard Sherman to do, as it's what he has always done.

I'm not making a request for people to like it or not (I even liked it when he was with the Hawks and trashing Crabtree), but that this is him just being a narcissist or just being bitter or just something else misses the boat I think: for better or for worse he has always been honest in these media sessions. That's nothing new.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
HawkRiderFan":3ox5n2s6 said:
If he is saying what he is saying now based on the fortunes of the 2 teams, can you imagine what we would be hearing if the preseason talk had been correct with the Niners battling the Rams near the top and the Hawks struggling? Yikes!

As for the cancer in the room part, yeah they may not have been cancers in the room but if you are getting young guys to believe in the coach's message and team first stuff, it has to be disruptive when some veterans who are the better players on the team are rolling their eyes or not buying in. From comments made from the younger players like Griffin they admired these guys. It would have been tough to get them to buy in when the guys they looked up to may not have anymore

Yep.

And if Sherman was reinforcing what Carroll was saying, if he was being part of the program Carroll has established, if he was being a leader.... I guarantee he'd still be a Seahawk.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Popeyejones":49jzyk0p said:
Sgt Largent":49jzyk0p said:
Popeyejones":49jzyk0p said:

Just saying.

ALL HIM BABY!

99 times out of 100 in these media sessions people just recite Hallmark cards. In maybe 1 time out of 100 instead of a Hallmark card people go with bulletin board material about hating the other team or them sucking or something.

What Sherman said IS VERY atypical in that it wasn't really either of these things: he did what people never do and just honestly answered the questions. While that's very atypical overall, it is, I think, entirely typical of what we'd expect Richard Sherman to do, as it's what he has always done.

I'm not making a request for people to like it or not (I even liked it when he was with the Hawks and trashing Crabtree), but that this is him just being a narcissist or just being bitter or just something else misses the boat I think: for better or for worse he has always been honest in these media sessions. That's nothing new.

He honestly answered the questions from his point of view. It does not matter that his point of view may be skewed a bit..but it is his point of view.

rcaido

Reaction score
Seymour":1xssah6a said:
Good god. It wasn't Bennett vs Wilson. It was Bennett vs Pete and FO. Not buying in, and always bitching about more $$ and off the field lies and mouth flappin'. Bennett was a huge value DE that never even played the first year of his new deal. He was NOT let go for financial reasons!! You don't find a quality DE for $5M. Jesus, use some common sense. :roll:

He was playing injured all year, Bennet even knew he was not coming back in 2018...He had couple more years in his contract...Seahwaks wanted to get younger and cheaper, they wanted to get something instead of nothing 2 years later. Seahawks didn't even resign Richardson who Vikings got 8million for...Yup its not about football why you dislike the guy...You forgot the knee part too.

https://sports.yahoo.com/bennett-probab ... --spt.html

"I probably won't be back next year," Bennett told the newspaper. "Just seems like it's a young man's game. I can see them going younger, with younger players. That's part of the game."

The 32-year-old Bennett has three years remaining on a contract the Seahawks extended for $29.5 million through the 2020 season in December 2016. He is due a $4 million roster bonus on the fifth day of the 2018 league year, which begins on March 14.

"With me, I'm fine. I mean, whatever happens, I've loved being a Seahawk," Bennett later told reporters after the game. "You love the organization. You love the players that you played with. We've won a lot of games. So if I am not here, I would never have any hard feelings toward the organization. I love (coach) Pete Carroll and (general manager) John Schneider, and we just move forward. It's part of football.

"This is just part of sports. It just keep growing and you continuously play for another organization, if you have the opportunity."

As for Sherman...
Its calculated...Mayweather, Mcgregor...they talk loud to promote their brand...This is the difference between Hopkins & Beckham being more recognize & famous.

Sherman & Norman are probably the most recognize db in the game right now despite not being the best currently at their position.

Sgt Largent

Reaction score
Popeyejones":239enxts said:
Sgt Largent":239enxts said:
Popeyejones":239enxts said:

Just saying.

ALL HIM BABY!

Recognizing his narcissism is not just derived from this weeks comments. Well established pattern, even when he played for us, and even then I was indifferent to mildly annoyed.

As far as this particular incidence, I find it much harder than you do apparently to attribute his immediate counterpoint referring to the ONE instance that Wilson had a 5 pick game when provided with a question that referred to the MANY times Wilson has managed to turn turds to gold. That sounds much more like raised hackles to me.

Let's take him literally though. Maybe the guy asking the question didn't see Wilson throw 5 interceptions in a game. He might have missed that ONE game attending his daughters recital. In which case, Sherman wasn't "being honest".

Also, virtually an impossibility that "no relationship with Wilson" was being honest. Might have been good, might have been bad, might have been good and turned to bad, but team Captains have "relationships" with all team leaders, in one way or another.

My memory may be fuzzy, but I think it was Sherman prancing the sideline praising Wilson as a "bad, bad man" after one of the many such miracle plays in a Seahawks highlight cut up a couple years ago. He didn't have even one second for that kind of acknowledgement this week. That's not honest, that's disingenuous...

Seymour

Reaction score
rcaido":1fup382h said:
He was playing injured all year, Bennet even knew he was not coming back in 2018...He had couple more years in his contract...Seahwaks wanted to get younger and cheaper, they wanted to get something instead of nothing 2 years later. Seahawks didn't even resign Richardson who Vikings got 8million for...Yup its not about football why you dislike the guy...You forgot the knee part too.

Dude....they just extended Duane Brown who is 33 years old and the same age! :roll:
Yes Bennett said that because he knew the FO was tiring of his antics. He's a liar for one, thing. Give up the stupid knee BS, that is lame default excuse #1 that people think they have a clue about other people (stereotyping).

They only saved $5M by trading him...it's not about money either. :177692:

Nobody is going to convince you. You ignore too many obvious facts and have your mind made up.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Wartooth":270agfd5 said:
Sounds like more sour grapes from a guy formerly on a good team, now on a 2-9 team...
Who got such a big head, that he thought he knew more that everyone else in the organization.
Tiresome.
The bigger problem with Sherman, was EVEN IF things had gone smoothly, he still would have found something else to b*tch about, It's just in his nature to keep spreading the manure.

Case in point; After making the incredible "TIP", he had to go into a juvinile rant with the National Media on the sidelines after the game. :177692:

rjdriver

Reaction score
I have battered wife syndrome. I'll always like and be grateful to Richard Sherman for how he was a key piece in making my Seattle Seahawks the baddest ass team on the planet for 5 or so years. He played hard and gave everything he had. Whether it was for him or for the collective, I don't know, but people motivate themselves in different ways.

He's a competitor. I think he needs to feel disrespected to elevate his game. It's a NEED for him. If he has to fabricate or embellish to fill that need, well, thats the cost of doing business. Sure, I find his conduct disappointing and I understand the ill will, but its the same narrative Sherman used when he was here, and I honestly would have been surprised to see him change it against the Seahawks.

That being said, I hope we easily take care of business.

rcaido

Reaction score
Seymour":6k14qxz8 said:
rcaido":6k14qxz8 said:

Dude....they just extended Duane Brown who is 33 years old and the same age! :roll:
Yes Bennett said that because he knew the FO was tiring of his antics. He's a liar for one, thing. Give up the stupid knee BS, that is lame default excuse #1 that people think they have a clue about other people (stereotyping).

They only saved $5M by trading him...it's not about money either. :177692:

Nobody is going to convince you. You ignore too many obvious facts and have your mind made up.

Must have struck a nerve dude...Comparing Duane Brown & Michael Bennett contract makes perfect sense. :roll:

The facts is you dont like him/bias & has nothing to do with football.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Fact: Sherm was one half of "the Tip" play and is often given sole credit.
Fact: Smith had the awareness to be in position and ability to make the interception which was more vital to the game.

Smith would have been celebrated if not for Sherm's "I'm the best" narcissistic rant. Gave no credit to Smith. I was turned off while everybody loved Sherm.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Russ Willstrong":1wmdx3xh said:
Fact: Sherm was one half of "the Tip" play and is often given sole credit.
Fact: Smith had the awareness to be in position and ability to make the interception which was more vital to the game.

Smith would have been celebrated if not for Sherm's "I'm the best" narcissistic rant. Gave no credit to Smith. I was turned off while everybody loved Sherm.

really weird horn to toot here.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Why of course I'll be cheering for Richard Sherman on Sunday. When they come out and strap him down on the stretcher and take him off on a cart, of course I'll be applauding him. Now that ought to settle it. Applaud for Richard Sherman when he's carted off. Anything less would be uncivilized.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
olyfan63":24kjuwv5 said:
Why of course I'll be cheering for Richard Sherman on Sunday. When they come out and strap him down on the stretcher and take him off on a cart, of course I'll be applauding him. Now that ought to settle it. Applaud for Richard Sherman when he's carted off. Anything less would be uncivilized.

Really? Don’t go there, brother. :34853_doh:

PlinytheCenter

Reaction score
Sherman, much like his new team, have become irrelevant. We've won 9 straight and 10 of 11 against the Niners. Let's keep it going. I really want to see Lockhart burn his ass on Sunday.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
PlinytheCenter":240r759p said:
Sherman, much like his new team, have become irrelevant. We've won 9 straight and 10 of 11 against the Niners. Let's keep it going. I really want to see Lockhart burn his ass on Sunday.

Lockhart? Please tell me that's an autocorrect malfunction. Or is this JK Rowling's secret account?