So what do we do at RB?

johnnyfever

Reaction score
ACFan":13aixf4m said:
It's time to work a few plays into the scheme that suit Alex Collins and then give him a few series in relief of Rawls.

They have previously released Pope, CJ Spiller and CMike all while keeping Collins. That has to mean they feel he has more upside than those three, yet they give practically anyone on the roster carries before they give them to Collins, very strange.

Maybe now is the time to see if he's been worth hanging on to. I say free Alex Collins from the sideline and put him on the field.

And what would be a scheme that fits Alex Collins besides wide open holes and no one touching him?

tmobilchawker79

Reaction score
You know how Rawls lines up really deep sometimes? He looks to be atleast 5-6 yards off the line of scrimmage. That way he can sling shot himself through the line, head of steam.

Well perhaps that's what Collins needs. A head of steam instead of "trying to get started at the line" and falling down.

Just a thought.

ivotuk

Reaction score
ACFan":kbato0xz said:
It's time to work a few plays into the scheme that suit Alex Collins and then give him a few series in relief of Rawls.

They have previously released Pope, CJ Spiller and CMike all while keeping Collins. That has to mean they feel he has more upside than those three, yet they give practically anyone on the roster carries before they give them to Collins, very strange.

Maybe now is the time to see if he's been worth hanging on to. I say free Alex Collins from the sideline and put him on the field.

Alex will get his chance this week. I'm sure he will get lots of carries in practice and will be ready for the game.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":gs0xmqcs said:
Re: Running game. Wasn't today our best running game this year?

It was a good game, but take out Prosise's 72 yarder, and take out 8 yards from Wilson and we get about 74 yards, or right around 3 ypc. It's still good against that front, but not stellar. It's not like we lined up and dominated the los.

Not trying to be a Debbie Downer, as I was happy about it. But it's also not "because 156 yards."

truehawksfan

Reaction score
hmm. l'm thinking Rawls and Collins on 1st and 2nd downs.

I forgot about Zac Brooks. Hawks could use him on passing downs or practice squad player, George Farmer.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
truehawksfan":1w4pa08e said:

I forgot about Zac Brooks. Hawks could use him on passing downs or practice squad player, George Farmer.
Zac spent time on the Chiefs PS but was released early this month, at around the time when they signed Bishop Sankey. So, Zac should be in shape, should be in reasonable 'NFL mode' still, should be available, should be under consideration.

But my guess is that Farmer (ex WR out of USC and apparently liked by Pete) will get the call-up, especially if he has been getting good familiarity with the current run-game schemes. He's the prototypical 6'1" and 220, fast as heck (also played DB for a time), so could be a very good 3rd down prospect from inside the Hawks system.

thebanjodude

Reaction score
CHawkTailGator":24u17mtr said:
You know how Rawls lines up really deep sometimes? He looks to be atleast 5-6 yards off the line of scrimmage. That way he can sling shot himself through the line, head of steam.

Well perhaps that's what Collins needs. A head of steam instead of "trying to get started at the line" and falling down.

Just a thought.

It would probably take him 5 seconds just to get back to the line

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Rob12":97cqspjx said:
Bobblehead":97cqspjx said:
Who's that back we drafted and cut.. 7th round I think

Zac Brooks. I'd almost guarantee he gets a call in the morning if he hasn't already.

I'm just guessing here, but I think Pope goes to IR and Prosise's roster spot is held, leaving one spot to fill. I bet that will be Brooks.

Zak Brooks be like.. I aint going anywhere Monday morning.

xStickybudz

Reaction score
Zac Brooks is literally staring at his phone all morning waiting for the hawks to call

johnnyfever

Reaction score
Hopefully AC gets some fire and realizes this might be his shot. He has the build of a bruiser and is able to stay healthy, just seems as he gives up too easy. Remember marshawn carrying 4 LB's for another 4-5 yards to pick up the first? Beast was only 5-11 and 215. AC is 5-10 and 217. His build is stout, should be physically able to do this, he just needs to mentally get fired up.

johnnyfever

Reaction score
LeftHandSmoke":359fghgn said:
truehawksfan":359fghgn said:

Zac spent time on the Chiefs PS but was released early this month, at around the time when they signed Bishop Sankey. So, Zac should be in shape, should be in reasonable 'NFL mode' still, should be available, should be under consideration.

But my guess is that Farmer (ex WR out of USC and apparently liked by Pete) will get the call-up, especially if he has been getting good familiarity with the current run-game schemes. He's the prototypical 6'1" and 220, fast as heck (also played DB for a time), so could be a very good 3rd down prospect from inside the Hawks system.

Farmer was another guy in preseason that had the physical traits but seemed to lack the drive to finish. Not sure if it is something you can teach or if it is just something special you get once in a while like with beast.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
OK OK.. so how long does it take for Lynch to get into playing shape and will he play for ...fan gratuity?

How about Ricky Watters.. is he in shape.. Shawn?

Bobblehead

Reaction score
johnnyfever":2hxkmpl9 said:
LeftHandSmoke":2hxkmpl9 said:
truehawksfan":2hxkmpl9 said:

Farmer was another guy in preseason that had the physical traits but seemed to lack the drive to finish. Not sure if it is something you can teach or if it is just something special you get once in a while like with beast.

Wonder about that real tall guy from last year, that everyone compared his running style to Eric Dickerson.. was cut eventually, but he looked really good in pre season.. Smith or something?
I''d like to see him back.

Also Jouique Bell.. sorry spelling
Montee Ball

uhhh.. Ray Rice, they gave Vick a 2nd chance, and Ray though I don't condone what he did, has paid the price and perhaps has done more so than anyone to try to redeem himself.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Farmer is probably most likely. Brooks in on KC's practice squad and Rod Smith is on Dallas PS.

Smith impressed me in preseason last year but they may give Farmer the chance.

mikeak

Reaction score
We put in on the waiver wire for Ronnie Hillman - just cut

To clarify - I think we should

HawkerD

Reaction score
ACFan":2ubu0cjp said:

Please explain your fascination with this guy? He is a plodder, goes down easy and his ball security is suspect. Well you are about to get your wish. He will probably get some carries in Tampa. They give up 4.3 YPA so no excuse not to perform. One of us will eat crow on Monday.

ivotuk

Reaction score
johnnyfever":1pf105l3 said:
Hopefully AC gets some fire and realizes this might be his shot. He has the build of a bruiser and is able to stay healthy, just seems as he gives up too easy. Remember marshawn carrying 4 LB's for another 4-5 yards to pick up the first? Beast was only 5-11 and 215. AC is 5-10 and 217. His build is stout, should be physically able to do this, he just needs to mentally get fired up.

These are good points. I think people are too impatient with Alex Collins. He just needs some reps, and some coaching on carrying the ball high and tight and he'll be okay. He's got the bulk to pound against the defensive line and make them hate it. And he had great success at Arkansas.

Tiki Barber had the same problem when he first started playing, and Tom Coughlin showed him how to carry the ball. Thereafter he tore it up.

zchurch74

Reaction score
Why not bring back Fred Jackson? We only really need him for 6 weeks. He know the offense and fits what we want to do on the offense. Could step in right away since he was here last year.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Really wish no one signed Spiller. He'd be the easy solution.

Imagine it will have to be Brooks, someone off a PS, or a free agent .. and the free agent crop is very bare. Bryce Brown is still an UFA and has some experience in our system, could see us bringing him back too.

The Prosise injury really sucks. Kid has such talent and has had the worst breaks this season.

DJrmb

Reaction score
ivotuk":17bcunpp said:
johnnyfever":17bcunpp said:

These are good points. I think people are too impatient with Alex Collins. He just needs some reps, and some coaching on carrying the ball high and tight and he'll be okay. He's got the bulk to pound against the defensive line and make them hate it. And he had great success at Arkansas.

Tiki Barber had the same problem when he first started playing, and Tom Coughlin showed him how to carry the ball. Thereafter he tore it up.

The argument that all he needs is more "reps" doesn't seem very logical when 2 rookies in Prosise and Pope have beat him out this year. Both of those guys got WAY less reps than Collins did in the preseason. Collins also had the most "reps" of either of those two in college with 665 carries in his collegiate career (530 carries for Pope, and 167 carries for Prosise). Collins basically is what he is at this point I think. Maybe you can help his ball security a little bit with having him hold it differently but there just seems to be too much to "fix" for him to ever be a decent NFL running back. I don't think Collins will make this team next year.