So what do we do at RB?

xgeoff

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":3tl41csq said:
Rob12":3tl41csq said:
Bobblehead":3tl41csq said:
Who's that back we drafted and cut.. 7th round I think

Zac Brooks. I'd almost guarantee he gets a call in the morning if he hasn't already.

I'm just guessing here, but I think Pope goes to IR and Prosise's roster spot is held, leaving one spot to fill. I bet that will be Brooks.
I bet you are right Rob.

Same

scutterhawk

Reaction score
LeftHandSmoke":3e5gg3za said:
truehawksfan":3e5gg3za said:
hmm. l'm thinking Rawls and Collins on 1st and 2nd downs.

I forgot about Zac Brooks. Hawks could use him on passing downs or practice squad player, George Farmer.
Zac spent time on the Chiefs PS but was released early this month, at around the time when they signed Bishop Sankey. So, Zac should be in shape, should be in reasonable 'NFL mode' still, should be available, should be under consideration.

But my guess is that Farmer (ex WR out of USC and apparently liked by Pete) will get the call-up, especially if he has been getting good familiarity with the current run-game schemes. He's the prototypical 6'1" and 220, fast as heck (also played DB for a time), so could be a very good 3rd down prospect from inside the Hawks system.

I too would like to see Farmer again, hope he's stayed in game shape.

xgeoff

Reaction score
How about Chris Polk? I thought he looked good last year for the Texans but he appears to be a free agent. He's a former Husky, might be cool to bring him in and see how he does. If Sankey weren't on the Chiefs roster I'd say the same thing about him.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
HawkerD":3kumekix said:
ACFan":3kumekix said:
It's time to work a few plays into the scheme that suit Alex Collins and then give him a few series in relief of Rawls.

They have previously released Pope, CJ Spiller and CMike all while keeping Collins. That has to mean they feel he has more upside than those three, yet they give practically anyone on the roster carries before they give them to Collins, very strange.

Maybe now is the time to see if he's been worth hanging on to. I say free Alex Collins from the sideline and put him on the field.

Please explain your fascination with this guy? He is a plodder, goes down easy and his ball security is suspect. Well you are about to get your wish. He will probably get some carries in Tampa. They give up 4.3 YPA so no excuse not to perform. One of us will eat crow on Monday.
I believe he will be eating your best crow.I hope I'm wrong but I just do not see AC doing it for the Hawks.Is Karl Williams available?Baby Gronk..Anybody decent stashed on someones PS?

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Can you just pick up anyone from someones practice squad?

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Yes as long as you sign them to the team not ps

DJrmb

Reaction score
Bobblehead":2sneq2v3 said:
Can you just pick up anyone from someones practice squad?

Yes as long as you sign them to your active (53-man) roster.

OP
OP
Rob12

Rob12

Reaction score
Saw on Twitter that Rawls got "banged up" yesterday as well. No real specifics given and it shouldn't keep him out on Sunday.

We're in a rough position at the position. I don't know what to think about Alex Collins but when I think about him it brings me back to C.J. Prosise. There were quite a few people on here pining for the coaches to keep Troymaine Pope over Prosise.

But we kept hearing that Prosise "really has something," according to Pete. And when he finally got healthy and got the opportunity, he has shown us what Pete was talking about. I worry about Prosise's durability but he absolutely looks like a special player.

Which brings me Collins. I've seen the coaches speak highly of him as well. He's held a spot on the 53 all season. He hasn't had much opportunity, but has admittedly looked bad during those few opportunities.

Basically, I'm hoping that his small sample size of play time means nothing and Pete is right again. Obviously, there's something there they like.

We'll find out Sunday in Tampa Bay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Rob12":1id0do48 said:
Saw on Twitter that Rawls got "banged up" yesterday as well. No real specifics given and it shouldn't keep him out on Sunday.

We're in a rough position at the position. I don't know what to think about Alex Collins but when I think about him it brings me back to C.J. Prosise. There were quite a few people on here pining for the coaches to keep Troymaine Pope over Prosise.

But we kept hearing that Prosise "really has something," according to Pete. And when he finally got healthy and got the opportunity, he has shown us what Pete was talking about. I worry about Prosise's durability but he absolutely looks like a special player.

Which brings me Collins. I've seen the coaches speak highly of him as well. He's held a spot on the 53 all season. He hasn't had much opportunity, but has admittedly looked bad during those few opportunities.

Basically, I'm hoping that his small sample size of play time means nothing and Pete is right again. Obviously, there's something there they like.

Whether they admit it or not with the Compete thing, he was a draft pick..3rd or 4th, I believe and he's going to get a little more leeway than someone un drafted. Ego, I believe comes into play here.

OP
OP
Rob12

Rob12

Reaction score
Bobblehead":185avfgh said:
Rob12":185avfgh said:

Whether they admit it or not with the Compete thing, he was a draft pick..3rd or 4th, I believe and he's going to get a little more leeway than someone un drafted. Ego, I believe comes into play here.

He was a 5th round pick. I don't think the draft pick thing plays here as 5th rounders are released/signed to the PS frequently.

I may not see it but I genuinely believe they see something in Collins.

PCJS are quick to cut bait on roster mistakes as well. And here we are in Week 11 and Collins is still here.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
They must for sure see potential in AC, even this-year potential given that he has been Active several times.

If they bring someone in as they look likely to do, then the telling will be in if AC gets the Active tag over the new guy come Sunday.

Pope did get it this time but there are multiple possible reasons for that.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Rob12":1wn0cnpb said:

PCJS are quick to cut bait on roster mistakes as well. And here we are in Week 11 and Collins is still here.

Collins balled out at Arkansas, so of course they saw something. He's a bruising contact back like Lynch.............unfortunately unlike Lynch Collins doesn't have the cutting allusiveness of Lynch.

He's more of a wear you down by the 4th quarter, but that requires him getting more than a series or two of carries. So not sure why they even drafted Collins knowing the chances were slim to none that he'd ever be our primary back.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
thebanjodude":2tjck2rp said:
CHawkTailGator":2tjck2rp said:
You know how Rawls lines up really deep sometimes? He looks to be atleast 5-6 yards off the line of scrimmage. That way he can sling shot himself through the line, head of steam.

Well perhaps that's what Collins needs. A head of steam instead of "trying to get started at the line" and falling down.

Just a thought.

It would probably take him 5 seconds just to get back to the line

:lol: Ouch. Unfortunately, you'd probably be right.

Hopefully they find a back familiar with the system. The other thread about George Farmer makes sense. Whatever happened to that kid from Eastern Washington who got banged up last pre season who Pete was so high on?

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1bv6nkba said:
Rob12":1bv6nkba said:

Collins balled out at Arkansas, so of course they saw something. He's a bruising contact back like Lynch.............unfortunately unlike Lynch Collins doesn't have the cutting allusiveness of Lynch.

He's more of a wear you down by the 4th quarter, but that requires him getting more than a series or two of carries. So not sure why they even drafted Collins knowing the chances were slim to none that he'd ever be our primary back.
He's pretty shifty too. That big play by Prosise yesterday? In his highlights reel you can see AC making several just like that too. The guy was an SEC Stud.

OP
OP
Rob12

Rob12

Reaction score
The truth is we know absolutely nothing about Alex Collins at this point. He has 10 NFL carries.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
LeftHandSmoke":3ixlo2wf said:
Sgt. Largent":3ixlo2wf said:
Rob12":3ixlo2wf said:

He's pretty shifty too. That big play by Prosise yesterday? In his highlights reel you can see AC making several just like that too. The guy was an SEC Stud.

I'm not saying don't give Collins a chance, I'm saying he needs carries. He's in the mold of a traditional back, and not a back like Posise or Spiller that can make plays with limited snaps.

So maybe this is his week, with no other real #2 option. My guess is Pete's gonna give him a shot at making his case to stay in the lineup Sunday.

OP
OP
Rob12

Rob12

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2thf0c8i said:
Rob12":2thf0c8i said:

Teams draft running backs that late in the draft all the time, knowing that they're not likely to be a primary back. Especially running backs that have great success in big conferences.

They drafted Prosise in the third round likely knowing he wasn't a "primary" back type, either.

ACFan

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1gg58bs2 said:

Did Lynch initially demonstrate that "cutting allusiveness" in as few a touches as Collins has had?

Was there any adjustment period for Lynch? It's currently a really small sample to look at on Collins, he did have a nice move on a short yardage TD just two or three carries ago (my avatar).

I agree he could be effective at wearing down a D, but I think he's more than that, I hope we get to find out.