Some more SB49 last play talk

50yrpatsfan

Reaction score
I think there' too much focus on that play call, when the real mistakes Seattle made were with time management - the 2 TO's they burned needlessly, and also letting the whole play clock run down on that last play. They appeared to be more concerned with leaving Brady as little time as possible rather than how to get into the ez, and leaving themselves only 26 seconds forced them to think pass on 2nd down. If they run and fail, they have to use their final TO with 18-20 secs left, which is not really enough time to run it twice more.

It also needs to be said that a Lynch run from the 1 was no gimme. It was a full yard, the Pats had 8 jumbos in there, and they had stuffed Lynch a couple of times on short yardage plays earlier. Just because Lynch got 4 on the previous play against a different personnel group didn't mean squat against the new group that came out for 2nd down. That was not a good matchup for the Hawks to run with the personnel that were on the field.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
50yrpatsfan":9fjzfu9u said:
I think there' too much focus on that play call, when the real mistakes Seattle made were with time management - the 2 TO's they burned needlessly, and also letting the whole play clock run down on that last play. They appeared to be more concerned with leaving Brady as little time as possible rather than how to get into the ez, and leaving themselves only 26 seconds forced them to think pass on 2nd down. If they run and fail, they have to use their final TO with 18-20 secs left, which is not really enough time to run it twice more.

It also needs to be said that a Lynch run from the 1 was no gimme. It was a full yard, the Pats had 8 jumbos in there, and they had stuffed Lynch a couple of times on short yardage plays earlier. Just because Lynch got 4 on the previous play against a different personnel group didn't mean squat against the new group that came out for 2nd down. That was not a good matchup for the Hawks to run with the personnel that were on the field.

This is as much of a gimme as you are going to get . . .

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Harvard_Sports/status/562092359597715456[/tweet]

Run the ball in on 2nd down . . . call a time out if by some chance you don't make it . . . then throw the ball on 3rd down or give Wilson a run/pass option, trusting that he will stop the clock with enough time if a fourth down is needed.

razor150

Reaction score
Just analyze the actual play call. With the game on the line we called a play we rarely run, and with some of the confusion pre-snap we rarely practice, that is thrown to the worst receiver on the roster, using our worst blocking receiver who was against Browser to pick a corner. How this isn't all on Bevell is news to me. A coaches job is to put players in position to succeed. This play was doomed to failure from the beginning just from the persoell on the field.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
razor150":1kicdro9 said:
Just analyze the actual play call. With the game on the line we called a play we rarely run, and with some of the confusion pre-snap we rarely practice, that is thrown to the worst receiver on the roster, using our worst blocking receiver who was against Browser to pick a corner. How this isn't all on Bevell is news to me. A coaches job is to put players in position to succeed. This play was doomed to failure from the beginning just from the persoell on the field.

It was just a schizophrenic play call from someone who had clearly overanalyzed the situation. On the one hand, we are draining time off the clock in case we do score on the play. On the other hand, we are running a quick pass play to stop the clock and conserve time in case other plays are needed. In the pursuit of accomplishing both goals, we outsmarted ourselves by accomplishing neither.

Maybe it was the result of watching too much film on New England because this also happened to be a play that New England's offense runs ad nauseum in short yardage situations. Their defense was obviously going to be well prepared to defend it.

Mick063

Reaction score
50yrpatsfan":1ckrtkj7 said:

Lynch would have scored. There is not enough focus on that play call. Belichick would have looked like a bum for not calling time out if the right play is called and Lynch takes it in. Both coaches made mistakes.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Mick063":tvhqzgjk said:
50yrpatsfan":tvhqzgjk said:

Lynch would have scored. There is not enough focus on that play call. Belichick would have looked like a bum for not calling time out if the right play is called and Lynch takes it in. Both coaches made mistakes.
Patriots fans don't want it to be about that 1 play call because they know it really did come down to that and the game going their way was more a fluke than anything because of it. I can understand wanting the attention on what they did well or how they think they could have stopped the Seahawks otherwise vs. everyone pretty much knowing that because the Seahawks made a monumental mistake the game was essentially given away at the end.

I'm getting bombarded with this and have not found one knowledgeable football person (or any fan of any other team other than the Patriots - and I have little personal contact with other Seahawks fans) say anything different than that. Patriots fans don't need to feel the need to justify anything here. They got the Super Bowl. It's not fun to re-hash it as a Seahawks fan, but I'm no fool that is going to say, "Oh, well they probably would have lost no matter what the play call was." That's lunacy. The Seahawks had it right there for the taking and just flat out blew a most certain opportunity for a repeat championship. That's precisely why we're being reminded of it incessantly.

It's the first thing brought up in person by any Patriots fan, but then they want to explain it away in their favor in any possible scenario.

50yrpatsfan

Reaction score
TeamoftheCentury":2fiuz9ch said:
Mick063":2fiuz9ch said:
50yrpatsfan":2fiuz9ch said:

Patriots fans don't want it to be about that 1 play call because they know it really did come down to that and the game going their way was more a fluke than anything because of it. I can understand wanting the attention on what they did well or how they think they could have stopped the Seahawks otherwise vs. everyone pretty much knowing that because the Seahawks made a monumental mistake the game was essentially given away at the end.

I'm getting bombarded with this and have not found one knowledgeable football person (or any fan of any other team other than the Patriots - and I have little personal contact with other Seahawks fans) say anything different than that. Patriots fans don't need to feel the need to justify anything here. They got the Super Bowl. It's not fun to re-hash it as a Seahawks fan, but I'm no fool that is going to say, "Oh, well they probably would have lost no matter what the play call was." That's lunacy. The Seahawks had it right there for the taking and just flat out blew a most certain opportunity for a repeat championship. That's precisely why we're being reminded of it incessantly.

It's the first thing brought up in person by any Patriots fan, but then they want to explain it away in their favor in any possible scenario.

I never said "no matter what the play call". From the 1 there were play calls that could have worked. But handing it to Lynch wasn't one of them, once the dye was cast with those personnel groupings. Patriots were going to stuff that with 8 DL's and 3 CB's, Carroll knew it, and went with a pass. Calls are about odds and percentages, and a run was too risky as Carroll plainly said post game. And Lynch wasn't exactly running wild that night, he had a couple of decent runs, but also was stuffed on a couple of big 3rd downs.

Other posters have mentioned the Pats were low or last in goal line stops. Here's 2 reasons that wasn't relevant at that point:
- I can hardly recall 5x all season there was an opponent's run from the 1, so the sample size of those stats is very small
- NE's dline was in flux much of the season. Wilfork was coming back from an Achilles. Siliga missed 8 weeks. Alan Branch was picked up in mid-year. All of those guys are in the 340 range and were playing very well at the end of the year. All were on the field for that final play.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
I've always thought it was poor play selection because of Browner and poor exacution for giving the Pats too much time to read it and communicate. That said I thought Tate's comments were interesting. He maintains he would have scored with that pass. Maybe Bev was correct that Lockette failed to exacute. Or maybe Golden is just full of it?

hawknation2015

Reaction score
brimsalabim":1n1fqglw said:
I've always thought it was poor play selection because of Browner and poor exacution for giving the Pats too much time to read it and communicate. That said I thought Tate's comments were interesting. He maintains he would have scored with that pass. Maybe Bev was correct that Lockette failed to exacute. Or maybe Golden is just full of it?

Makes more sense to dial up this play for your No. 1 WR -- like Tate was for us in 2013 -- than for the undrafted guy with 18 career receptions.

This screams of trying to "outsmart" the Patriots by making a somewhat unknown the first read against a defense that is loaded up to stop the run. Unfortunately, this play was a staple of the Patriots' offense, and their defense was as familiar with it as they could be.

We need a better play caller in the red zone. Both the best rushing QB and RB in the NFL were not utilized when they had the chance on the one-yard line. Whoever is taking that responsibility now, whether its Carroll or Bevell, needs to admit someone else is capable of making better decisions in the red zone with the players they have at their disposal.

Mick063

Reaction score
50yrpatsfan":2frcgqwv said:
TeamoftheCentury":2frcgqwv said:
Mick063":2frcgqwv said:
50yrpatsfan":2frcgqwv said:

I never said "no matter what the play call". From the 1 there were play calls that could have worked. But handing it to Lynch wasn't one of them, once the dye was cast with those personnel groupings. Patriots were going to stuff that with 8 DL's and 3 CB's, Carroll knew it, and went with a pass. Calls are about odds and percentages, and a run was too risky as Carroll plainly said post game. And Lynch wasn't exactly running wild that night, he had a couple of decent runs, but also was stuffed on a couple of big 3rd downs.

Other posters have mentioned the Pats were low or last in goal line stops. Here's 2 reasons that wasn't relevant at that point:
- I can hardly recall 5x all season there was an opponent's run from the 1, so the sample size of those stats is very small
- NE's dline was in flux much of the season. Wilfork was coming back from an Achilles. Siliga missed 8 weeks. Alan Branch was picked up in mid-year. All of those guys are in the 340 range and were playing very well at the end of the year. All were on the field for that final play.

Lynch would have scored. You just can't accept that and will come up with a long winded rebuttal every time you see it.

The fact is, there is no amount of rationalization you can come up with to change a lot of minds here or across NFL nation. It is the narrative you will eventually learn to live with or spend the rest of you days attempting to counter.

The play before, Lynch ran through the Pats like a hot knife through butter. Bevell got cute and blew the game.

evergreen

Reaction score
How come no one mentions the fact that our D had two plays to get it all back by just stopping NE for a loss on a sure QB sneak? The int was crushing. But we had them at the one foot line with 26 clicks and a TO. A safety is not out of the question there. Especially with out ability to generate miracles. NE can't risk a pass, too many things can go wrong. They're not rushing the RB either. It's Tom Brady on a sneak. Stop that and you get two points and the ball back at midfield with a few plays to get a FG. Not a gimme at all, but way better than giving them five yards and the game.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
The play will end up being a blessing in disguise as it will fuel Russell to lead the Hawks to the next 2 Super Bowl titles

50yrpatsfan

Reaction score
Mick063":c3zmy50d said:
50yrpatsfan":c3zmy50d said:
TeamoftheCentury":c3zmy50d said:
50yrpatsfan":c3zmy50d said:

Lynch would have scored. You just can't accept that and will come up with a long winded rebuttal every time you see it.
The fact is, there is no amount of rationalization you can come up with to change a lot of minds here or across NFL nation. It is the narrative you will eventually learn to live with or spend the rest of you days attempting to counter.
The play before, Lynch ran through the Pats like a hot knife through butter. Bevell got cute and blew the game.[/quote]

A 1st down call from the 5 is a lot different than what was effectively a 3rd down call from the 1, with the whole season on the line, and 8 run-stoppers on the field. As different as night and day. The chances of Lynch powering it in were close to nil.

Apparently you'd rather doubt your own HC forever than accept the fact that the personnel dictated a pass. I think the Seahawks staff knew a little more about it than the doubters. Bottom line is that NE's D won the game on a historically great play by Butler, a play that Carroll said afterward nobody could have anticipated him making. Insisting that Seattle blew the game is just talk.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Anthony!":1jan5xcq said:
so a few things 1. this whole thing is old now, and 2 there were other to blame, Kearse for not getting his pick completed, Lockette for hesitating off the line and not coming out of his break stronger. All that said it is done stuff happens move on.
One of your best posts ever on these boards. Seriously.

The things you mentioned along with a shit play call by Bevell and a shit decision by Pete not overruling it and Russ not executing properly and you have a disaster at the one yard line. But like you said, it's over and I'm looking forward to the draft and free agency now.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
kearly":8bdu7pmr said:
I don't blame Wilson. The play looked open and even if he had known it was a doomed play, it wasn't a great situation to audible in. The throw was where it needed to be.

Bevell was right to criticize Lockette. Lockette had a huge size advantage over Butler but was beaten to the ball despite having better position. Golden Tate said a couple days ago that he would have caught that pass, and I agree with him.

But really, most of the blame has to go to Bevell and Carroll. Really what that play boils down to was incredibly poor situational awareness, coupled with a cute playcall at the worst possible time. It was disheartening to me to hear Pete defend the decision after the game. It is disturbing to think this mistake could be repeated.

I'm pretty convinced had it been Baldwin, who I cannot forgive his act/penalty, we would have win, or at the very least lived to play another down. Baldwin, at the very least would have attacked that ball.

olyfan63

Reaction score
hawknation2015":u5z40biq said:
We need a better play caller in the red zone. Both the best rushing QB and RB in the NFL were not utilized when they had the chance on the one-yard line. Whoever is taking that responsibility now, whether its Carroll or Bevell, needs to admit someone else is capable of making better decisions in the red zone with the players they have at their disposal.

Our Red Zone TD stats are way less than they should be (IMO only, based on extensive, unscientific analysis of weapons we have). Really, though, it's not even "Red Zone", we're talking "1 to go", and we had 2-3 cracks at it.

The one constant here is Bevell and his Red Zone playcalling.

I was thinking about starting a thread about this play for "Tell The Truth Monday", on what (hypothetical, best guess) would go down in a tell-the-truth session involving Bevell, Carroll, Wilson, Lockette, Kearse. I had chosen not to start a thread because I figured it would just generate a slew of posts like the ones here, "give it a rest", etc. and/or the mods would nuke it.

TELL-THE-TRUTH MONDAY FOR "THE PICK" (and plays/situations leading up to it)

1) Bevell's truthful confession:
My situational awareness sucked on that play:
- I was asking Jerome Kearse, giving up 30 lbs to Browner, to push ultra-physical Browner off the line. Simply dumb.
- Apparently I have become so predictable in my play-calling that NE knew exactly what was coming based on the formation.
- I set up a problematic situation for Russell, because his height IS a disadvantage in that situation, and the replays show that the onrushing Butler was "hidden" behind other players where Russell couldn't see him, where a 6'4" QB would have.
- I failed to use a primary weapon, Russell's mobility and decisionmaking, by not giving Russell the opportunity to make a decision, not allowing him to use his feet. By calling a non-decision quick-slant, I failed to use our team's best offensive weapon in a situation that screamed out for it.
- I ran plays that resulted in two consecutive 3-and-outs leading up to the Patriots winning TD. Instead of sustaining drives, running clock, maybe scoring more, I called a game that allowed NE back into the game.

2) Russell's truthful confession:
- I was in such a hurry to get the TD and get to celebrating another win, I was so sure it would be a TD, that I blocked out everything else
- I never even saw Butler, even though I threw it straight to him
- I need to have better awareness of where DBs are hiding behind players I can't see over
- I needed to put the ball lower, and more on Lockette's body, instead of out in front, and with more zip
- I was so concerned about not screwing up what looked so wide open that I threw a cautious lolli-pop ball that allowed the pick to occur

3) Kearse's truthful confession:
- YOU try pushing Browner off the line creating a pick on Butler. Go ahead, YOU freakin' try it. I gave it everything I had and I was not able to get it done in that situation against that man.
- I should've caught the 3rd down ball when we were up 10. I had it in my hands and didn't finish the play.

4) Lockette's truthful confession
- I knew the ball was coming to me and was more concerned about not messing it up than going and getting the ball.
- I was worried about getting blown up by the LB (Hightower) and not getting in, so I was trying to hand-catch it out front and then duck inside and under for the score.
- I never even saw Butler til he hit me, and I need to improve my awareness of where DB's are likely to be on different routes, instead of focusing only on avoiding the onrushing LB.

5) Carroll's truthful confession
- Darell, I have taken the arrows for you and done my best not to throw you under the bus, because that's not how we roll here.
- This puts me in an awful position because I'd rather just outline the parameters and then trust my guys to operate within them and get it done. This was way too cute; it really was the dumbest play-call in Super Bowl history, and didn't take advantage of our strengths.
- I can't be focusing on every play call, and there's no way I want to have to overrule or micromanage my OC on every critical call. I need the OC to be better prepared, less predictable--NE knew exactly what was coming--we have to give opponents more to look at on tape, in terms of situations and formations, to prevent this.
- This has to improve. I want you to use this next week to figure out a plan on how you'll improve our Red Zone and especially our "Goal-to-go" performance next year, to be less predictable, and better utilize team strengths. And don't assume better weapons; assume the same weapons we had for SB49.

I left out the whole part about burning timeouts unnecessarily, but it's fertile ground for Tell-the-Truth, if anyone is up to laying out how that conversation would go down in tell-the-truth mode.

So, what do others think would come out of the participants' mouths on Tell-The-Truth Monday? Any other participants in "The Pick" that should be in this conversation? (Intentionally leaving out Paul Allen) Maybe Cable? What would Cable have to say?

cjski

Reaction score
Just registered just to post on this topic...

I've had to try and defend my QB for years after he fumbled a FG hold against Seattle back in the day...to no avail. That play has been part of his narrative since. (you know who i'm talking about)

With that said...

RW is the reason you guys don't have 2 SB rings. It's not on Bevell or Carroll (sp). If what I've read is to be believed, there was no guarantee Lynch was going to pound the rock for a TD (1 for 5 in goal to go in over the last season?), and the only way they were going to squeeze 3 plays into 26 seconds was by passing on 2nd or 3rd down (6 of 1; 1/2 dozen of the other). A pass play was a fine call. RW just didn't protect the ball. Any QB with RWs experience knows that you don't lead a receiver on a quick slant with the defenders playing that bunched to the line (goal line). You throw that ball low, and into the receiver's body. Where did RW put it? High and away.

Sorry RW, you're a good QB, but you cost your team the SB...

hawksurething

Reaction score
All this situation is eliminated if we had Brandon Marshall or V.Jackson. or even Both ! :)

Case closed.

Mick063

Reaction score
cjski":3g80yjc2 said:
Just registered just to post on this topic...

I've had to try and defend my QB for years after he fumbled a FG hold against Seattle back in the day...to no avail. That play has been part of his narrative since. (you know who i'm talking about)

With that said...

RW is the reason you guys don't have 2 SB rings. It's not on Bevell or Carroll (sp). If what I've read is to be believed, there was no guarantee Lynch was going to pound the rock for a TD (1 for 5 in goal to go in over the last season?), and the only way they were going to squeeze 3 plays into 26 seconds was by passing on 2nd or 3rd down (6 of 1; 1/2 dozen of the other). A pass play was a fine call. RW just didn't protect the ball. Any QB with RWs experience knows that you don't lead a receiver on a quick slant with the defenders playing that bunched to the line (goal line). You throw that ball low, and into the receiver's body. Where did RW put it? High and away.

Sorry RW, you're a good QB, but you cost your team the SB...

Romo Super Bowls = Zero for career
Wilson Super Bowls = Two in first three seasons.

Romo is the definition of choke and no matter how desperately you try, you will not pass his failed legacy on to Wilson. Wilson will compile a more complete career, more championships, more money, more fame than Romo could ever dream of. Because you suddenly realized that, you registered here in a pitiful attempt to drag Wilson fans down into the same depths of despair that Romo fans to for the duration of his career. Like Romo, you have failed miserably.