The REAL 'elephant in the room' (NFC West)

morgulon1

Reaction score
I'm not making any claim whatsoever that I'm unbiased. I'm a Seahawks fan, posting on a Seahawks forum, about the upcoming game of a division rival.

I'm OOZING bias. I would expect, as the fan of a rival team posting on a Seahawks board, you are also highly biased. I wouldn't be surprised if you call my team the Seachickens, Seahags or something worse if you post on the most popular boards for your team. If you don't, you're unusual.

SanDiego49er is referring to the Dallas team as the CRYboys. Should I also take them less seriously?
Dang you beat me to it.

Weadoption

Reaction score
I'm not making any claim whatsoever that I'm unbiased. I'm a Seahawks fan, posting on a Seahawks forum, about the upcoming game of a division rival.

I'm OOZING bias. I would expect, as the fan of a rival team posting on a Seahawks board, you are also highly biased. I wouldn't be surprised if you call my team the Seachickens, Seahags or something worse if you post on the most popular boards for your team. If you don't, you're unusual.

SanDiego49er is referring to the Dallas team as the CRYboys. Should I also take them less seriously?
if i’m being honest, i’m biased too.
come from behind ******** Seahawks Sunday with the wif has always had me a Hawks fan, and a Wilson fan are u kidding me!?!, other than when you guys play my beloved Digits.

Ostatehawk

Reaction score
But he only played part of last season and 4 games of this season then Philadelphia broke him off in the playoffs.

But yes I agree he's a good player , but I'm thinking with the others on here that he is very lucky to be on the miners.
What if he were a NY football Giant?
Dead. He'd be dead.

49fansinceBrodie

Reaction score

I always felt objectivity was a good trait, but to each their own.

Marvin49

Reaction score
I look at it like this....

....is he a special talent and a franchise QB regardless of the team that drafts him? I have no idea. Likely not. Here'e the rub tho....most HOF QBs didn't do it on their own and most had good players and coaches who played with them

It's why the argument about who his teammates are and who his coach in really honestly bigs me. OF COURSE he benefits from them...as does just about every other successful QB in the NFL ever.

Does he have a limited arm and is he smaller than you'd like? Sure. No question. Brady didn't have a huge arm and had almost no mobility. Montana was thin and small and wasn't imposing physically. Thats 2 of the best QBs of all time.

Here's the deal...he doesn't HAVE to be a franchise QB for the Cowboys, Bills, Packers...etc. He's a franchise QB in SF. Thats all he needs to be. Shanahan not going anywhere and alot of that talent on offense isn't going anywhere soon. They've also been pretty damn good at stockpiling talent...so why do we think thats suddenly gonna stop.

There will at some point come a time when he has a bad game. Hell, maybe its this weekend. Who knows.

When it happens the avalanche of "I told you so"" will be immense because people are just itching for him to make mistakes because they don't want to believe it.

In the meantime...I'm gonna just enjoy watching a guy who IMO is playing the best at QB that I've seen in SF since Steve Young. I hope it lasts.

PS: The "Air yards" argument is getting destroyed every week. Look at the air yards last week. Yes, the 49ers have crazy YAC...but to be clear, that's the entire point of the offense...and hell the WCO in general. It's about getting superior athletes in space and letting them do their thing.

Moreover...if you think its ALL YAC and short passes...you aren't really watching the games. Yes...there was ALOT of YAC vs Giants which kinda skews the stats, but thats largely because the Giants blitzed a league record 85% of the snaps.

The dude is elite processing information and is something that Jimmy was not. DECISIVE. CONFIDENT. DOESN'T GET RATTLED. MOBILE (at least enough to escape pressure and throw ball away where Jimmy would take the sack).

Dude is making pinpoint throws. Dude is making back shoulder throws. Dude is flat out making throws we haven't seen in SF in a long, long time.

Last edited:

Torc

Reaction score
I always felt objectivity was a good trait, but to each their own.
Objectivity is a great trait, in the right context. I want Aikman and Buck to be objective in their analysis when they're announcing a game. I even want Paul Moyer and Brock Huard to be objective when they're doing post-game analysis of a Seahawk game.

But I wouldn't go to a fan forum and expect the fans to be objective. They're fans - watching, cheering, jeering and complaining about their favorite team. Nothing objective about that at all.

I stand by my original point - two of the best teams in the NFL are playing this Sunday and I am a fan of neither, and both them are potential opponents of the Seahawks. OBJECTIVELY, the Dallas defense has had the single most successful game against Purdy. OBJECTIVELY, Purdy's offense has put up 30 points in every game he has started and finished, except for the said Dallas game and against the Seahawks. So I am highly interested in the result of this game - I'll probably even watch it (but not objectively).

NOT objectively, Purdy has a great story, Mr Irrelevant etc etc etc. Too bad he plays for a division rival and the toughest opponent in the division. Not objectively, I hope Dallas sets a new sack record and Purdy has nightmares of Michah Parsons for weeks. I hope he is so sore he can't get out of bed on Monday morning - not wishing for an injury for him or anyone else. I just hope he knows how rough a game he had.

@Marvin49 I, personally, will not give you an "I told you so" if my hopes come to pass. Purdy is undefeated as a starter. That's darn impressive no matter what team he's playing for.

I hope the Cowgirls kick some Whiner butt this weekend. :p

Marvin49

Reaction score
Objectivity is a great trait, in the right context. I want Aikman and Buck to be objective in their analysis when they're announcing a game. I even want Paul Moyer and Brock Huard to be objective when they're doing post-game analysis of a Seahawk game.

But I wouldn't go to a fan forum and expect the fans to be objective. They're fans - watching, cheering, jeering and complaining about their favorite team. Nothing objective about that at all.

I stand by my original point - two of the best teams in the NFL are playing this Sunday and I am a fan of neither, and both them are potential opponents of the Seahawks. OBJECTIVELY, the Dallas defense has had the single most successful game against Purdy. OBJECTIVELY, Purdy's offense has put up 30 points in every game he has started and finished, except for the said Dallas game and against the Seahawks. So I am highly interested in the result of this game - I'll probably even watch it (but not objectively).

NOT objectively, Purdy has a great story, Mr Irrelevant etc etc etc. Too bad he plays for a division rival and the toughest opponent in the division. Not objectively, I hope Dallas sets a new sack record and Purdy has nightmares of Michah Parsons for weeks. I hope he is so sore he can't get out of bed on Monday morning - not wishing for an injury for him or anyone else. I just hope he knows how rough a game he had.

@Marvin49 I, personally, will not give you an "I told you so" if my hopes come to pass. Purdy is undefeated as a starter. That's darn impressive no matter what team he's playing for.

Fair.

Just FYI...I wasn't referring to this forum. I mean like the Nick Wrights of the world who are just waiting for him to fail just once so he can say he was right all along.

I'd expect no less of a fan of an in division opponent. :)

Marvin49

Reaction score
Purdy is in an extraordinary situation. He's not in the same stratosphere as Brady. And he may already be near his ceiling, given his limited toolset. Currently, he's in the bottom 25 in pass attempts, rarely plays from behind, and their offense averages 150 yards rushing per game.

So, the objective argument against him is the scheme and talent around him. For example, he's in the bottom 20 of air yards, yet the guys around him are so good after the catch he's 2nd in YPA. That's an insane statistic.

Thats a kinda disingenuous little stat there. :) lol.

He's #10 in Air Yards which is close to "bottom 20" among starters I guess. You aren't factoring in the difference in attempts as the 49ers have been leading quite a bit and run the ball quite a bit. You can't use total air yards as a metric to show that he's just letting his guys get YAC and he's not doing anything.

Another way to look at it is that he's #2 in Air Yards PER ATTEMPT among starters. Thats second only to Tua. He just isn't throwing the ball as much.

He is not, and likely never will be, a true deep ball thrower. Where he just kills you tho is in the intermediate range where he's ridiculously efficient.

Ignore the top 2 names here as they aren't starters, but this is Air Yards per Attempt:

Now all of this could change when he faces the Dallas and Cleveland pass rushes in the next few weeks...but let's at least be fair to him to this point in the season.

Last edited:

knownone

Reaction score
Thats a kinda disingenuous little stat there. :) lol.

He's #10 in Air Yards which is close to "bottom 20" among starters I guess. You aren't factoring in the difference in attempts as the 49ers have been leading quite a bit and run the ball quite a bit. You can't use total air yards as a metric to show that he's just letting his guys get YAC and he's not doing anything.

Another way to look at it is that he's #2 in Air Yards PER ATTEMPT among starters. Thats second only to Tua. He just isn't throwing the ball as much.

He is not, and likely never will be, a true deep ball thrower. Where he just kills you tho is in the intermediate range where he's ridiculously efficient.

Ignore the top 2 names here as they aren't starters, but this is Air Yards per Attempt:
View attachment 61035

Now all of this could change when he faces the Dallas and Cleveland pass rushes in the next few weeks...but let's at least be fair to him to this point in the season.

As a rule, do not accuse someone of being disingenuous when you don't know which sources they are using. I used PlayerProfiler, last week, he was 26th in AirY/attempt, and this week, he's 22nd. My statement still stands. Although, I'm not sure why your source has dramatically different numbers than mine. For example, Playerprofiler has his AirY/A at 7.4, not 5.6.

Marvin49

Reaction score
As a rule, do not accuse someone of being disingenuous when you don't know which sources they are using. I used PlayerProfiler, last week, he was 26th in AirY/attempt, and this week, he's 22nd. My statement still stands. Although, I'm not sure why your source has dramatically different numbers than mine. For example, Playerprofiler has his AirY/A at 7.4, not 5.6.

Wasn't meant as an attack. Sorry if you took it that way. I'm very curious how the numbers are compiled.

I'm sure numbers are screwed by the # of his yards that were YAC in the Giants game specifically, but that's largely because the Giants were blitzing at a historic rate.

Once the 49ers adjusted to that, they started using screens, etc to counter the blitz.

Last edited:

knownone

Reaction score
Wasn't meant as an attack. Sorry if you took it that way. I'm very curious how the numbers are compiled.

I'm sure numbers are screwed by the # of his yards that were YAC in the Giants game specifically, but that's largely because the Giants were blitzing at a historic rate.

Once the 49ers adjusted to that, they started using screens, etc to counter the blitz.
Sorry if I took it that way? It's not on me to interpret your intent. Words have meanings. If you don't intend to come across antagonistically, use a less antagonistic style.

Rat

Reaction score
Purdy is far and away the best QB in the division. It's not even close.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Sorry if I took it that way? It's not on me to interpret your intent. Words have meanings. If you don't intend to come across antagonistically, use a less antagonistic style.

....right. I think you are taking this a bit too seriously. To each his own.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
The Niners don't deserve Purdy.

After wasting three 1st rounders on a bad QB, you're suppose to suck for the next decade. Not fall ass backwards into the last pick in the draft as your next franchise QB.

Marvin49

Reaction score

After wasting three 1st rounders on a bad QB, you're suppose to suck for the next decade. Not fall ass backwards into the last pick in the draft as your next franchise QB.

Perhaps...but I won't complain.

49fansinceBrodie

Reaction score

I had no expectation, in fact, most posts here meet my expectations in that regard. I was pointing out that if you want to have a civil discussion about a player rather than a troll fest, it's a good idea to use non-incendiary language.

SNDavidson

Reaction score
Not hating, he will be solved, because Shannahan is really good, but it’s the system. And yes, CMC, cmon.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score

It would suck if he was Elway or Marino but he’s not. He’s mid tier at very best and runs set plays. Kyle called his dad and said “hey pops do you still have your playbook from 1976? We fuhked up drafting again we need that playbook. Nobody will expect us to run 90 times per game”