Time to protest Bevell/Cable!!!!!

fanjet2

Reaction score
Well every year for the past 10 years I take the entire family up to a Seahawks home game and make a long weekend out of it. There are 7 of us and the airfare/hotel/meals/tickets pile up to a nice sum. It is a tradition for the family. Not this year. That's how I am protesting. No one will know the difference but I bet there are a few more doing the same thing?

Boycie

Reaction score
sdog1981":3gd8wbt5 said:
AgentDib":3gd8wbt5 said:
popular units and the expectation is that good NFL teams will score lots of points. .

This is wrong. The team needs to have an offense that gets FIRST DOWNS, the rest will follow. If the Seahawks could have had a few more drives with at least 2 first downs then the game is completely different. The defense would still be aggressive because they would be rested and not playing 2/3 of the game. The Seahawks offense was on the field for 48 plays that is dysfunction for even Woody Hayes "3 yards and a cloud of dust" So no matter how conservative your offensive philosophy is you still need first downs. First downs are the life blood of a ball control offense and this team can't even do that.

Can you imagine how scary the D would be if the O could actually sustain some drives?

mrt144

Reaction score
Ace_Rimmer":1y8zcw2e said:
sdog1981":1y8zcw2e said:
AgentDib":1y8zcw2e said:
popular units and the expectation is that good NFL teams will score lots of points. .

This is wrong. The team needs to have an offense that gets FIRST DOWNS, the rest will follow. If the Seahawks could have had a few more drives with at least 2 first downs then the game is completely different. The defense would still be aggressive because they would be rested and not playing 2/3 of the game. The Seahawks offense was on the field for 48 plays that is dysfunction for even Woody Hayes "3 yards and a cloud of dust" So no matter how conservative your offensive philosophy is you still need first downs. First downs are the life blood of a ball control offense and this team can't even do that.

Can you imagine how scary the D would be if the O could actually sustain some drives?

If teams were forced to up their risk profile playing down points and trying to close the gap?

Sign me up.

sdog1981

Reaction score
mrt144":3ehallks said:
Ace_Rimmer":3ehallks said:

If teams were forced to up their risk profile playing down points and trying to close the gap?

Sign me up.

Exactly, get the first downs and the rest will follow. You can only have a ball control offense if your team controls the ball i.e. first downs. 10 play drives are body blows if the Seahawks could have gotten a few of those they could have started the Second half up 9-0, how would the Packers have played if they were down two scores and had very little TOP? They would start to double down and make mistakes.

cymatica

Reaction score
sdog1981":36e7pl5s said:
mrt144":36e7pl5s said:
Ace_Rimmer":36e7pl5s said:

Sign me up.

Exactly, get the first downs and the rest will follow. You can only have a ball control offense if your team controls the ball i.e. first downs. 10 play drives are body blows if the Seahawks could have gotten a few of those they could have started the Second half up 9-0, how would the Packers have played if they were down two scores and had very little TOP? They would start to double down and make mistakes.

Hard to run a ball control offense when your gameplan is throwing behind the LOS or 50 yds deep.

AVL

Reaction score
You haters need to aim higher!

Wake up or shut up, pls.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":60sn1cej said:
The only way our 2 severely under performing offensive coaches get '86'ed is if it comes from the top, Mr. Allen.
He is a hands off owner which is generally a good thing, but in this case IMHO those terminations are more than warranted and I would love it to happen, but it won't unless something drastic happens as he lets his HC and GM call those shots.

Paul Allen isn't a meddling owner like Jerry Jones or Dan Snyder.

He's a delegator, he trusts Pete and John to do the hiring and firing. So no, it's not going to come from Allen if either or Bevell/Cable are fired. If Bevell and Cable are gone from Allen? Then that means he fired Pete.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
I guess that old saying about not being able to argue with success doesn't apply on here. That's why the knee-jerk reactionists are outside noise to the organization. The real decision makers have a plan that continues to make this team elite and I'll stand by them.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":2aw4o2vc said:
I guess that old saying about not being able to argue with success doesn't apply on here. That's why the knee-jerk reactionists are outside noise to the organization. The real decision makers have a plan that continues to make this team elite and I'll stand by them.

If you ever go to a Patriot's board, or talk to a Patriots fan, this stuff reminds me of that.

They're so spoiled that they expect to win every game 45-10, and if they don't, or god forbid lose............it's OFF WITH EVERYONE'S HEAD! Bench Brady! Belichick's Lost it!, Fire Patricia! Trade Gronk!

That's how some of our fans are. Win, and it's we're going all the way baby! Lose, and it's another Monday of this garbage.

Protesting? Now that's a new one, I'd actually love to see some idiot outside the Clink with Bevell protest signs. That'd be freaking hilarious.

sdog1981

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3519uzny said:
Protesting? Now that's a new one, I'd actually love to see some idiot outside the Clink with Bevell protest signs. That'd be freaking hilarious.

That would be funny Or organize a sit in at a team practice. Maybe even get them, 4Chan guys, to do some meme work on the subject.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
KARAVARUS":5cmlq66k said:
Pats fans whining about losing one game are doing exactly that. Hawks fans fed up with the same immobile offense have the right after last year, to have expected change this time around. The complaints are not only because we lost to the Packers in Green Bay, they are because of the pattern. I'm willing to wait it out, but there's no reason we should not be up by three scores on the Niners at half time on Sunday. If we are under 10 points, expect people to be pissed. I will be one. I'll never boycott the team, but I will certainly wish I could and understand those who do. It's fricking hard to watch, yo.

Patriots fans whined for nine straight years while their team didn't win a Super Bowl with Brady and Belichick. Had one play gone differently on the goal line, it would have been 10 in a row.

I'm concerned about the line problems and offense like everybody else, but even the most successful franchise streak in the last two decades, maybe ever, has a lot of "failing" in it.

I get people want better, but this idea that the Patriots are so consistently good that they win all these Super Bowls year in and out is an exaggeration of their success.

hawk45

Reaction score
I rail against Cable but the guy to protest is quite obviously Pete Carroll himself. He doesn't want a pass-heavy offense, and won't take risks even when it's clear we can't run the ball and so being protective in the passing game is just far too limiting to result in success.

Secondly, he is hopelessly blinkered by Tom Cable. I do not say that Cable is worthless, but Pete just seems lost evaluating Cable's strengths and weaknesses. Pete treats Cable as if Cable is every bit the OL guru that Pete is a defensive guru, and that approach has been a disaster.

It's one area where I wish Pete and John would just accept their limitations and maybe just follow Kiper's board or some vanilla draft evaluator where it concerns OL because it's the one position where their smartest-guy-in-the-room approach to drafting falls down.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":301tjdwn said:
Siouxhawk":301tjdwn said:

If you ever go to a Patriot's board, or talk to a Patriots fan, this stuff reminds me of that.

They're so spoiled that they expect to win every game 45-10, and if they don't, or god forbid lose............it's OFF WITH EVERYONE'S HEAD! Bench Brady! Belichick's Lost it!, Fire Patricia! Trade Gronk!

That's how some of our fans are. Win, and it's we're going all the way baby! Lose, and it's another Monday of this garbage.

That's probably not surprising about the Patriots board. We live in such an instant gratification and me-first world fueled by social media, that everyone thinks they have the right to pounce. I guess they do have the right, but it's also why teams like the Hawks and Patriots blatantly disregard it as outside noise. And rightfully so.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawk45":21gqpagl said:
I rail against Cable but the guy to protest is quite obviously Pete Carroll himself. He doesn't want a pass-heavy offense, and won't take risks even when it's clear we can't run the ball and so being protective in the passing game is just far too limiting to result in success.

Secondly, he is hopelessly blinkered by Tom Cable. I do not say that Cable is worthless, but Pete just seems lost evaluating Cable's strengths and weaknesses. Pete treats Cable as if Cable is every bit the OL guru that Pete is a defensive guru, and that approach has been a disaster.

It's one area where I wish Pete and John would just accept their limitations and maybe just follow Kiper's board or some vanilla draft evaluator where it concerns OL because it's the one position where their smartest-guy-in-the-room approach to drafting falls down.

We talked about this last year when the offense was struggling, I'd LOVE to see Pete change up his offensive philosophy to a more pass oriented attack.

IMO it's how the entire NFL is geared, not only college to pro personnel wise (80% of colleges run spread attacks), but also how it's officiated giving a HUGE advantage to receivers.

Russell is certainly ready to have the reins taken off, but sadly Pete is stuck in old school run the ball to wear down the defense and impose your will mode. Which was fine when we had a good line and a HOF RB..................now? Not so much.

Cable? Eh, he's just doing the best he can with the garbage Pete and John give him. I honestly don't think a new line coach could do any better. These guys are horrible, not sure how you can make bottom tier lineman good in one year, or ever.

You either draft studs like the Cowboys did, or you overpay for in FA. We do neither. We bargain bin shop, and it shows on the field.

Own The West

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":6ouxh1rh said:

But we haven't been successful since the 2013 season. And since we let our two best linemen walk (Unger in 2014, Okung in 2015), sunk $10M into a move tight end that we use inline to block, and have a franchise QB that makes more than the entire OL that's supposed to protect him; I think it's entirely appropriate to question whether that side of the ball is being managed appropriately.

I think the roster moves we've made on O, coupled with the drop to the middle of the pack offensively -- even when bolstered by blowouts of weaker teams -- indicate that this team is no longer a superbowl contender. The defense, though elite, can not win us a superbowl when they are on the field 35-40 minutes a game.

And *of course* the offense supports their coaches! Wouldn't you support your boss if he continually gave you opportunities, but never held you accountable? The defense holds each other accountable, and they produce because of it. The offense, not so much. They're giggling and having fun on the sidelines during a loss. When's the last time you saw someone on the offense get mad or in somebody's face? They have no bar. They have no standard to meet. Every time they screw up, it's an "oops, maybe next time" reaction. And that attitude starts with the coaches.

Maybe Pete's 'disappointing' remark signals they are on notice, but if the offense struggles again like it did last year someone needs to be held accountable.

hawk45

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2xibqr2d said:
hawk45":2xibqr2d said:

We talked about this last year when the offense was struggling, I'd LOVE to see Pete change up his offensive philosophy to a more pass oriented attack.

IMO it's how the entire NFL is geared, not only college to pro personnel wise (80% of colleges run spread attacks), but also how it's officiated giving a HUGE advantage to receivers.

Russell is certainly ready to have the reins taken off, but sadly Pete is stuck in old school run the ball to wear down the defense and impose your will mode. Which was fine when we had a good line and a HOF RB..................now? Not so much.

Cable? Eh, he's just doing the best he can with the garbage Pete and John give him. I honestly don't think a new line coach could do any better. These guys are horrible, not sure how you can make bottom tier lineman good in one year, or ever.

You either draft studs like the Cowboys did, or you overpay for in FA. We do neither. We bargain bin shop, and it shows on the field.

It's not bargain bin shopping, see the other thread about us having spent the most draft capital of any team from 2010 on OL. It's poor drafting.

I'm inclined to think Cable bears heavy responsibility for not being able to mesh with John to identify players that fit what Cable is trying to do. Or to develop the players he gets. But even if it's just John sucking at drafting OL, I feel it'd get better with a different OL coach that John was drafting to.

You're 100% right though that if you can't draft well for whatever reason, then overpay in FA. To do neither doesn't do Cable any favors, even if Cable himself is part of the drafting problem. They should pay through the nose for a tackle if one is ever available this next offseason, either side, and the money can come right from where Graham's cap hit used to be.

While I feel Bevell - constrained by Pete and beset by poor blocking - is last on the list of culpability, the one damning thing is the way it has taken us years to incorporate Graham into the offense and he still isn't a big part of red zone. That is unforgivable IMO. But whatever I am just thankful that Bevell seems to be able to incorporate the home-grown receivers just fine.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawk45":ivdhm68b said:
It's not bargain bin shopping, see the other thread about us having spent the most draft capital of any team from 2010 on OL. It's poor drafting..

There are other ways to "bargain bin."

We never trade up to grab a lineman, we constantly trade down to get reaches that are "Cable guys." Ifedi, Carp, etc.

That to me is Schneider doing his trade down to get more picks thing, which is fine when we're drafting ANY other position other than O-line.

Just not a good philosophy when it comes to a very low hit rate in the NFL for good lineman. If you need em, which we ALWAYS do, you don't trade down and grab some reach that's a project.

So either quit doing this, cause it obviously doesn't work. Or carve out more cap space for the O-line so you can overpay for TJ Lang or any of the other O-lineman we lost out on.