Trade Sherman?

semiahmoo

Reaction score
getnasty":3eddye5o said:
I thought this topic was on Sherman not Bevell

Well, to be fair, Sherman, among others, appears to have issues w/Bevell, so it still relates.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
semiahmoo":228x2yam said:
getnasty":228x2yam said:
I thought this topic was on Sherman not Bevell

Well, to be fair, Sherman, among others, appears to have issues w/Bevell, so it still relates.
Good grief.

Off to go find the mythical Ignore button, cleanse the air.

cymatica

Reaction score
semiahmoo":oxr75au7 said:
razor150":oxr75au7 said:
We have 3 TEs on the roster, yet we can't come up with a formation that puts Graham out into routes while one of the other TEs block? Come on, Graham is a better receiver than most of our receivers. There is no excuse to have him blocking so you can have Jermaine Kearse running routes. That's a massive downgrade.

TRUE.

If anyone believes Bevell has managed to get the most out of the talent on the offensive side of the ball, they are watching a different Seahawks team than me/others.

And others have said for some time, and I completely agree, that the Hawks have managed to win more in spite of Bevell than because of him.

Jimmy Graham is a world class TE - likely the 2nd best overall in the entire league, and purely as a receiver, the very best.

And yet, Bevell treats him as a blocking TE about 80% of the time.

It's nuts. Crazy. Inconceivable.

It's the Seahawks' offense version 2016.

But, but, but ... 31 points

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Trading your best defensive player because he called out the OC for his usual craptastic playcalls and a radio hack because he hurt their feelings? Surely you jest?

Radio Hack and OC need to grow a thicker skin or find new careers if they can't handle criticism.

captSE

Reaction score
What the hell is the offensive line coach for? Does he actually do anything? Cable seems to cruise right by all the criticism while Bevell gets it shoved down his throat.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
captSE":2vhkw1bw said:
What the hell is the offensive line coach for? Does he actually do anything? Cable seems to cruise right by all the criticism while Bevell gets it shoved down his throat.
Many have called for Cable's head too. I wouldn't mind if the whole offensive coaching staff getting 86'ed.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I doubt Cable has a say on draft capital spent on OL and whether to trade for O-linemen. Look at what we've give him to work with most of the time for the past few years.

I'm not absolving him of blame; but let's keep things in perspective.

nash72

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1dd86n4b said:
I doubt Cable has a say on draft capital spent on OL and whether to trade for O-linemen. Look at what we've give him to work with most of the time for the past few years.

This. I'm not a Cable lover by any means, but the guy would need a magic wand to make those bums even half way decent.

seahawksny

Reaction score
TexasHawk95":2txy6xo8 said:
Trrrroy":2txy6xo8 said:
Holy crap. They score 31 and Bevell is still the problem? My god.

And no to the original question.
Yes, Bevell is a problem. Look at the fact that we had NEGATIVE 4 yards in the middle of the second quarter. Look at the fact that the game plan didn't involve utilizing Graham until we needed a miracle comeback.

If you have a weapon like Graham and don't include his skills in your game plan, you should not be calling the plays for an NFL team.

Question was should sherman be traded.
WHY ARE U DISCUSSING BEVELL?????????
LOOK AT SUBJECT LINE PLEASE

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
seahawksny":lpufrvds said:
Question was should sherman be traded.
WHY ARE U DISCUSSING BEVELL?????????
LOOK AT SUBJECT LINE PLEASE

Sure, we like folks to stay on topic here, but in fairness to the posters derailing it, just how much discussion does "let one of the best defensive players in the league go" merit? My eyes almost got stuck rolling into the back of my head reading that. :roll:

capncrunch

Reaction score
I'd keep Sherman and Bevell and say goodbye to Cable probably. He has had input on quite a few OL picks that didn't stick. I do think we could have drafted a couple more guys in 2016 instead of so many running backs. Funny though, now it seems we may have hit on Collins and Prosise.

The Breh

Reaction score
razor150":3urlcdrj said:
We have 3 TEs on the roster, yet we can't come up with a formation that puts Graham out into routes while one of the other TEs block? Come on, Graham is a better receiver than most of our receivers. There is no excuse to have him blocking so you can have Jermaine Kearse running routes. That's a massive downgrade.
I thought that was the EXACT reason we drafted Vanett.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
The Breh":1xqdimfh said:
razor150":1xqdimfh said:
I thought that was the EXACT reason we drafted Vanett.
Graham is the best blocker we have at TE this season, we badly need that help.

He also has almost as many targets as ADB but not as good a catch rate.

Trade Sherman? Could be hard given his contract, even if we did want to.

Seymour

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1mcmfhdi said:

Cable has final say in the drafting of olinemen (as stated by him and Schnieder both), and has been given more 1-3 round OL picks in his time here than ANY other team in football. All swings and misses for the most part (my god Ifedi is bad). Now lets look at his coaching and ability to make the best of what he's given. Do nothing more than watch again that first half, and 2nd half. How can they be so different? Easy, they were not prepared for the team they played, and this happens again and again.
Tom Cable is problem 1 on this team, followed not to far off by Darell Bevell.
Pete said at the beginning of the season that this is the most talent he's ever had on any roster. How has that turned out so far? Looks more and more like 1 and done each week to me.

StoneCold

Reaction score
We scored 31 points. The offense has it's problems. Bad Oline and I can't say i love the plays Bevel calls, but I have just as much of an issue with the way they are executed. The defense gave up 34 points, and this time we can't blame 6 turnovers. There are multiple problems on this team and we still might make it to the Super Bowl.

People forget how many problems this team overcame in 2013 to win it all.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Seymour":23jdgiif said:
Cable has final say in the drafting of olinemen (as stated by him and Schnieder both), and has been given more 1-3 round OL picks in his time here than ANY other team in football. All swings and misses for the most part (my god Ifedi is bad). Now lets look at his coaching and ability to make the best of what he's given. Do nothing more than watch again that first half, and 2nd half. How can they be so different? Easy, they were not prepared for the team they played, and this happens again and again.
Pete said at the beginning of the season that this is the most talent he's ever had on any roster. How has that turned out so far? Looks more and more like 1 and done each week to me.

Ok, he's had more draft capital than I had remembered in his tenure (2011-present) here. We've drafted more OL picks in rounds 1-3 than any of the other three teams in the NFC West, at least; not sure if it's actually most in the NFL or not, and there's no way I'm going to check all of that. The 49ers have drafted the same # of overall OL picks during this time, but fewer 1-3 picks and also fewer 7th-round picks, the average pick level is slightly lower.

In any case, I've looked at what we have spent for draft capital and it lowers my opinion of Cable more if what you said about him having a major say in the draft picks is true; so, thanks. (By the way, please provide evidence of that. I believe you, but I want to see exactly what was said.

He's definitely not a larger problem than Bevell is, though. Give us a great O-line with Cable doing a phenomenal job and we'll still have offensive woes because nothing will change the fact that Bevell's situational awareness when things aren't going well is horrific.

Seymour

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1g2567iu said:
Seymour":1g2567iu said:

Ok, he's had more draft capital than I had remembered in his tenure (2011-present) here. We've drafted more OL picks in rounds 1-3 than any of the other three teams in the NFC West, at least; not sure if it's actually most in the NFL or not, and there's no way I'm going to check all of that. The 49ers have drafted the same # of overall OL picks during this time, but fewer 1-3 picks and also fewer 7th-round picks, the average pick level is slightly lower.

In any case, I've looked at what we have spent for draft capital and it lowers my opinion of Cable more if what you said about him having a major say in the draft picks is true; so, thanks. (By the way, please provide evidence of that. I believe you, but I want to see exactly what was said.

He's definitely not a larger problem than Bevell is, though. Give us a great O-line with Cable doing a phenomenal job and we'll still have offensive woes because nothing will change the fact that Bevell's situational awareness when things aren't going well is horrific.

This information is scattered around in different press conferences and articles, but known to be true for years now. Cable is assistant head coach after all.

Here is one article that confirms as an example.

John Schneider has come out and said that the Seahawks aren’t going to draft someone that Tom Cable doesn’t like as a prospect, so Cable possesses a good amount of influence in who the organization acquires. This leads to the conclusion that whether it’s a scouting issue or a developmental issue, either way it falls squarely on Cable’s shoulders.

http://www.fieldgulls.com/2016/6/27/12023086/seahawks-offensive-line-tom-cable-hot-seat

mrt144

Reaction score
TexasHawk95":1ilw02ps said:
Trrrroy":1ilw02ps said:
Holy crap. They score 31 and Bevell is still the problem? My god.

And no to the original question.
Yes, Bevell is a problem. Look at the fact that we had NEGATIVE 4 yards in the middle of the second quarter. Look at the fact that the game plan didn't involve utilizing Graham until we needed a miracle comeback.

If you have a weapon like Graham and don't include his skills in your game plan, you should not be calling the plays for an NFL team.

1st and inches at the goalline and serves up 4 nothing burgers.

Hawkspur

Reaction score
Assuming Sherman was traded, what compensation would Seahawks fans be satisfied with? Would, say, a trade to the Jags for their 1st and 4th plus Jalen Ramsey be enough? I think i'd be on board with that but not a lot less, and getting that much would be tough. And my willingness to do it would assume that the FO felt Sherman was becoming a negative influence and that it would free up enough cap room to get a good o-lineman and possibly d-lineman in as well.