Washington vs. Auburn

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
justafan":2s2dr72d said:
Im not that disappointed in his performance. He had almost 300 yards.

There is a lot of blame to go around that first 3 quarters. Nobody was ready to play, the D looked lost the first qtr, a horrible screen by a WR cost points, lousy kick, lousy play call with Browning on an option, lousy no call on the spearing, OL was overmatched at times. But to go on the road first game and play a top tier SEC team that close with a chance to win isnt anything to hang their head about.

I still think they can run the table and get another shot.
When Jake Browning wins a big game, it will be the first time.

Not saying your other points are not valid, they are.
But a Senior QB on one of the best teams in CF, needs to step up his play to the next level. He did that on only one drive.
I expect more. Moral victory’s shouldn’t even be a variable for a team like Washington.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
That might not be fair.

Browning is not great. But he never was. He had a lot of guys that made incredible plays to get him big yardage.

Ross. Pettis. Likely now Jones and Fuller.

As Husky fans we have seen this and know this. It is not his fault he keeps getting asked to be a starting QB on a team that is loaded all over the place but for QB. Obviously the next guy up is hopefully worse, because he isn't losing his starting position as average as he has played.

So the problem is not Browning but the outsized expectation that this team can be #5 or #6 with a below average QB.

That is more the problem of the person with the expectation than the QB though. We know what we get from Browning in these games, or we should know....by now. So it shouldn't be a surprise.

But he is what he is. Hard to blame Browning for playing like....Browning.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Huskies did well but going to the red zone twice and getting zero points was always going to cost us. When it was in Brownings hands to win at the end I wasn't feeling it, he's no Russell Wilson.

I think those wr's will do well against pac12 defences. Unlike other years we may have 3 other good qbs in the roster if Browning struggles. Wouldnt be shocked if yankoff or haener get a chance.

Sounds like tre adams may be out for the year with a back injury.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":3rclelve said:
That might not be fair.

Browning is not great. But he never was. He had a lot of guys that made incredible plays to get him big yardage.

Ross. Pettis. Likely now Jones and Fuller.

As Husky fans we have seen this and know this. It is not his fault he keeps getting asked to be a starting QB on a team that is loaded all over the place but for QB. Obviously the next guy up is hopefully worse, because he isn't losing his starting position as average as he has played.

So the problem is not Browning but the outsized expectation that this team can be #5 or #6 with a below average QB.

That is more the problem of the person with the expectation than the QB though. We know what we get from Browning in these games, or we should know....by now. So it shouldn't be a surprise.

But he is what he is. Hard to blame Browning for playing like....Browning.
It’s not fair? It comes with the territory of being a Senior QB on one of the best college teams.
If you listen to the UW Honks/Homers they think that Browning is a great QB who’s had some bad luck and just waiting to break out.

I’m sure Jake is a wonderful human being and a great kid, he just isn’t a great QB. Being a great person doesn’t = being a great college QB.

He will put up great numbers against crap teams, but when it comes time to play the big games against the big boys it’s too much pressure.

As a diehard UW Fan I’ve been hoping he proves me wrong, so far he hasn’t.

...and for the 300 yards comment uphread, I don’t care about fantasy football stats. I care about points and TD’s.
Jake lead his team to exactly 1 TD today, one!

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
You are right.

But Browning is a known commodity at this point.

Put it this way, the kicks that Walsh missed last year - were those his fault? Or the fault of the person who made the decision to put him in a position to have to make those kicks?

We knew Walsh was a shaky FG kicker with accuracy issues. We used him anyway.

I am sure he did the best he could, but it just wasn't good enough. It isn't like he didn't try.

Same with Browning. He is doing the best he can. His best just isn't good enough against the better teams.

So is that his fault? Is it that we simply don't have anything in the cupboard as far as good QBs? Or is it the fault of the decisions to use Browning over someone that would do better?

Either way, Browning flaming out isn't new or weird. It is no surprise. So yes, it is very unfair to compare him to Russell Wilson.

The fault/blame lies in either the decision to use him or the failure to get anyone better for 3 years now.

And I don't think it is fair to expect much from him because he doesn't have that much that he can do, and his OC literally gave him very little help. If anything, the OC made it harder by forcing Browning repeatedly into 3rd and longs.

D

DomeHawk

TwistedHusky":15fw1pf7 said:
To be fair, those runs gave us no chance. .

Don't want to play the blame game BUT this stands out...

Proud of the way the team fought.

D

DomeHawk

Glasgow Seahawk":27413x7j said:
Sounds like tre adams may be out for the year with a back injury.

Sucks, we really needed him to be healthy this year.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Huskies made much more of a game of it than I expected. I don't say that hating on the Huskies so much as I just expected the cross country trip to cause a bigger difference in the game.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
I've sat through Ty Willingham and Keith Gilbertson, so if Petersen can take us to the point someone even thinks of ranking us in the top 10 - I am OK.

Chris seems to gravitate toward QBs like Browning, he reminds me of a crappier Kellen Moore. And sure, when we play other teams at least half the time the QB on the opposing sideline looks like a better QB and I wistfully wonder what the Huskies would be like with a guy like him. But I have accepted that higher tiers of QB might be Petersen's blind spot. He still wins in spite of that.

Not sure how that will look with this new OC but I am hoping it is him figuring things out and not an issue we will be stuck with for years to come.

I think the media sees a senior QB and automatically wants to rank the team higher, but this is a senior QB making mistakes with a pitch near the EZ or still throwing late to receivers that ends up making it easy for the defender to come back and tip the ball. He isn't going to be a great QB and this team will have to acknowledge that and try to scheme around it. There are a lot of strengths to this team and a lot of pieces look better than I expected. We can work around having an average to below average QB.

I didn't expect us to win this one, you need a great QB to have a chance in games like this. Might be rough beating USC for the same reason. But it will be a pretty good team, just have to realize this won't be the year for a number of reasons already covered.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Change the record TH. You're repeating the same thing.

Thing is, they didn't need Browning to be better to win this one. They needed some better play calling at opportune moments.

Constantly dissertating on your concerns with Browning doesn't change the fact he went on the road against a top 10 SEC opponent, threw for nearly 300 yards, made some big time throws. A couple play calls and a missed call by the ref were the difference.

No, he's not pro level QB. But he's taken the program to heights it hadn't seen in a decade plus and had a good game yesterday.

D

DomeHawk

Uncle Si":1a91dsda said:
Change the record TH. You're repeating the same thing.

Thing is, they didn't need Browning to be better to win this one. They needed some better play calling at opportune moments.

Constantly dissertating on your concerns with Browning doesn't change the fact he went on the road against a top 10 SEC opponent, threw for nearly 300 yards, made some big time throws. A couple play calls and a missed call by the ref were the difference.

No, he's not pro level QB. But he's taken the program to heights it hadn't seen in a decade plus and had a good game yesterday.

Ditto

It gets ridiculous, it seems to me that Alabama and other schools have won more than one NC without a pro-caliber QB.

sdog1981

Reaction score
I know teams want balance. But they should have kept throwing the ball, they were drawing PI calls on every other pass.

The WR's are the low key story of this game. I feel they will destroy Pac-12 secondaries based on what they did aginst Auburn's DB's.

D

DomeHawk

sdog1981":597o9isj said:
I know teams want balance. But they should have kept throwing the ball, they were drawing PI calls on every other pass.

The WR's are the low key story of this game. I feel they will destroy Pac-12 secondaries based on what they did aginst Auburn's DB's.

Yep on the first part.

On their DB's, I don't think they are the strength of that D.

OP
OP
KitsapGuy

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
And there it is. :rumble: :141847_bnono:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/IanFurnessSea/status/1036697974653431808[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Softykjr/status/1036696490016616452[/tweet]

OP
OP
KitsapGuy

KitsapGuy