Washington vs. Auburn

D

DomeHawk

KitsapGuy":cm2pfnxn said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/Softykjr/status/1036755069788536834[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Softykjr/status/1036756380344958977[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Softykjr/status/1036756670368571393[/tweet]

Afraid to call because they called some that weren't. One extreme to another.

OP
OP
KitsapGuy

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
A day after Washington lost to Auburn in Week 1, ESPN announcer Mark Jones sent a tweet that would normally look innocuous but made a lot of Huskies fans and Pac-12 people mad:

MarkJonesESPN

@MarkJonesESPN
Washington Huskies took one one on the chin. Where’s Montana ?

Montana was on Washington’s maligned non-conference schedule in 2017, and the Huskies won easily. They scheduled a top-10 Auburn in 2018 and ... did not win easily.

The backlash to Jones’ tweet was swift, both from media members ...

Jon Wilner

@wilnerhotline
Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott cannot let this pass without 1) an explanation 2) an apology and 3) Jones being prohibited from calling UW games

MarkJonesESPN

@MarkJonesESPN
Washington Huskies took one one on the chin. Where’s Montana ?

... and fans, like this one:

Mmmmm, K
@pdxdawgfan
Replying to @MarkJonesESPN
@ESPN this is a perfect example of how you have debased yourselves to cheap shots, biased reporting, & tittilating sound bytes to trigger reactions. Many of us have lost respect for you and will switch our viewing to NBC, Fox, Root, or ANY other network. #actlikeaprofessional

One tweeter appeared to suggest Jones was making fun of a hit to the head of Washington quarterback Jake Browning in the Auburn game, which officials didn’t call.

Mike Drayer
@drdrayer
Replying to @wilnerhotline @Softykjr
Forget about Jones’ unprofessionalism and disdain for UW. We get it; he has every right to take pot shots, regardless of how lame. But let’s distill this down to what it is: he’s making light of a vicious helmet to helmet hit on a 20 yr old kid.

It’s not clear how much thought went into “took one on the chin” as Jones’ metaphor.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-footba ... -espn-feud

fenderbender123

Reaction score
The officiating overall was pretty good. They missed the personal foul call on Jake, but I don't like having to rely on that kind of penalty to move the chains.

What really pissed me off was Baccellia blocking that guy in the back. I saw him running behind the Auburn player and was like "don't do it, don't do it..."...and sure enough he just had to shove him. You'd think that would be an easy mental process....are you looking at the guy's back? If yes, don't push him.

D

DomeHawk

Sports Hernia":397727z5 said:
I’m going to be real glad when the Browning era is OVER!
He chokes in big games. I have no faith in him against good-great teams.
Too many boneheaded plays. He is a senior yet is still making freshman-like mistakes.

He won’t be playing on Sundays next year.

Overreacting a bit? Jake certainly wasn't perfect but he played well enough to win. That game was not on him, yes he had two T/O's BUT: the first one was an oft-practiced scramble drill, receiver was supposed to come back to that spot - second one was an option where an o-lineman blew his assignment allowing a d-lineman in our backfield. Jake didn't lateral late, that's the way the play is designed - you gotta sell it.

The team traveled all the way across the country and stayed and played in a different time zone, that's never easy. They played in a hostile stadium that was essentially a home game for Auburn. Their All-American candidate OT didn't make the trip, I think that played a much bigger factor than most people realize - in fact, it tipped the scales in favor of Auburn's D-line. They didn't get obvious calls, their OC dropped the ball down the stretch and did his best imitation of Bevell. Lots of stuff happened that had NOTHING to do with Jake Browning.

In spite of all that the Huskies (a team with the 24th ranked composite talent against a team with the 8th ranked composite talent) outplayed Auburn for 2 1/2 to 3 quarters. This isn't an excuse or a suggestion that there was a "moral victory" here, it's just a more accurate recounting of what actually happened.

We all would have liked to have a victory here but neither Jake Browning nor the entire Husky team have anything to hang their head about.