Where's The Fevered Pitch in The Northwest?

BobcatHawk

Reaction score
I don't know about others, but this feels like a everything to lose, nothing to gain (with the exception of moving to the next round of the playoffs, of course) kind of game, almost like an in-shape adult playing a game against a young teenager. If you lose, it's completely embarrassing; if you win, it's completely expected and not something to get too excited about.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
BobcatHawk":2wx6mq7b said:
I don't know about others, but this feels like a everything to lose, nothing to gain (with the exception of moving to the next round of the playoffs, of course) kind of game, almost like an in-shape adult playing a game against a young teenager. If you lose, it's completely embarrassing; if you win, it's completely expected and not something to get too excited about.

Jesus Christ, you'd think Seattle suddenly is Boston in the 2000's when the Pats, Sox and Celtics were all winning championships, and perhaps being a top contender was mundane to those fans.

But as a long-suffering Seattle sports fan that has sat through decades of teams that were either garbage or incapable of winning the big one, I am going to 100% live up and savor each and every playoff game where this Hawks team is perhaps the best in the NFL. The Seahawks will not be this good forever. There will be really bad Seahawk teams at some point in the future, and we will look back to these current years with awe. Enjoy the ride dude.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
So are we in a near-consensus that the lack of "fervor" is not so much anything specific hovering over the PNW, nor a contagious ennui, nor an institutional lack of interest, but rather an internal feeling in some of us that this particular matchup doesn't bring extra special mojo with it?

If not,
Smellyman":35kh9dmk said:
I don't understand. What is supposed to be happening?

chris98251

Reaction score
I think it's a business as usual approach, were suppose to be here, we expect to win. Methodical, I think the next round is when things get cranked up, then were in a dog fight whether it's GB or Dallas.

Of course we need to take care of the Panthers and I think the fans are confident in Pete and the team to do this.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I think the masses are already looking towards next year's Super Bowl title. There's obviously no competition in this year's playoffs, so we're going to win it.

Or, people are really bummed about Hill going to IR, and are thinking we're going to lose the game now. Well, that could just be Blitzer.

Based on that article you linked Aros, I wouldn't base it off of anything. TIckets almost always take a dive the closer you get to the game. People get worried about getting stuck with them and want to unload them.

I also think it has to do with the competition. It's hard to really get worked up about a losing team that snuck into the playoffs; a team we've beaten 3 times in a row in their house and is now coming here. Seriously, if you can't beat us at home, what makes you think you can win at the CLink ? (I'm guessing that's most fan's attitude, and you can't blame them).

There's probably something to the whole "it isn't the first time" theory as well. I'm plenty stoked about the game, but no where near as much as last year. I think it's personnally more about facing the Panthers (again). I just can't see how we're going to lose, which means I'll be crushed more if we do.

Riley12

Reaction score
Sorry that I find it a little ironic that it was the OP who sold his tickets to this game (albeit for a good reason) and wonders about a lack of fervor. That act is repeating itself on an individual level everywhere and shows up in the lack of 12 flags in town and storefronts and fewer diehards at the games. Regular season ticket holders have been cashing in all season long on the championship level ticket prices their seats now garner, depriving the stadium of their passionate voices.

Also look at the related thread on championship wear. Very few people now want NFC West Championship anything, waiting on NFC Champ or Super Bowl gear to add to their collection. The Super Bowl victory was draining to the emotions and wallets of the fanbase and many are recharging themselves in various ways.

Again, it is all about expectations. The team always has a championship mindset and has been in playoff mode for over a month. The fanbase now will be letdown by anything less than sealing the deal here at home over the next two weekends and dancing all over Tom Brady's fading smile two weeks later in the desert.

BocciHawk

Reaction score
Um, yeah.

No one is excited about the Panthers.

Some of that is we've beat them quite a few times recently.

Some of that is they don't have any real strong media personalities other than Cam Newton.

We all know other teams that have "notorious" players which I think is why the 49ers games have so much sizzle, even in the regular season.

I also definitely think that this year, for whatever reason, the holiday period seemed a lot more deep holiday i.e. it really felt like everyone went out of town and/or was doing zero work and was home with the family. I've had a whole bunch of people contact me just in the last couple days about things I sent to them two weeks ago. So there's a little bit of a holiday hangover.

Tickets often fluctuate dramatically when you get three days out -- StubHub doesn't allow regular listings after a certain date, and people who were asking too much suddenly get nervous and drop prices because they don't want to be outside selling tickets pregame. It's really common for prices to start somewhere, drop a bit when the public on sale happens, then slowly go up, and then drop down about four days out. It's basically panic selling... not a reflection of the dedication of the fan base, except to say that people weren't snapping up tickets early.

We might act independent, but we are not, example if the Giants or Redskins or Cowboys or Packers or 49ers or {insert big media NFC team here} were coming, we'd see tickets sell a lot faster and not only because of their fans traveling, because there are more transplants here from those places, and because the game would have more sizzle and would get the guy who only goes to an NFL game once every few years.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":2iin7y2k said:
BobcatHawk":2iin7y2k said:

Jesus Christ, you'd think Seattle suddenly is Boston in the 2000's when the Pats, Sox and Celtics were all winning championships, and perhaps being a top contender was mundane to those fans.

But as a long-suffering Seattle sports fan that has sat through decades of teams that were either garbage or incapable of winning the big one, I am going to 100% live up and savor each and every playoff game where this Hawks team is perhaps the best in the NFL. The Seahawks will not be this good forever. There will be really bad Seahawk teams at some point in the future, and we will look back to these current years with awe. Enjoy the ride dude.

I agree. Heck, I even saw this last year in an instance that I still give my friend a hard time about. Right after beating the Saints in the divisional round last year, I get a text from my friend saying, "I'm worried about our offense." Dude, we just clinched a spot in the NFC Championship Game. Your reaction within the first two minutes after the win is to worry about next week?

Enjoy our playoff wins. In roughly 25 years as a fan, I've only gotten to witness a grand total of eight of them. Those who have followed the team even longer than me haven't witnessed that many more than I have. They're not something to be taken for granted.

Birdfinger

Reaction score
I watch NFL AM about every morning and Monday Tuesday and today there has been by far the least amount of reporting on this Seahawks Panthers matchup. You'd swear there was only 3 games this weekend. Seems like a Seahawks win is such a forgone conclusion the game isn't worth covering let alone get excited about.

pmedic920

Reaction score
For me personally it's the Team we are playing combined with the off week.

Hell, I'm on duty Saturday and I'm planning on watching what I can at the station. If this was a more exciting match up, I'd have swapped shifts with somebody so I could be at home.
I hope the Seahawks aren't thinking the same way I am, could be a problem if they are.

Riley12

Reaction score
Thought I'd bump this because, with Blue Friday rolling around, I have not seen this much Seahawks-related stuff on my facebook feed since maybe the season opener.

Let the insanity begin!

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Just did a lunch walk around downtown Seattle, not as many flags etc. up as last year. But if we win on Saturday, I expect it to be crazy again. Sure was last year.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
Blue Friday now...how's the vibe in Seattle today? From across the country I can only live vicariously through you guys, but it's definitely frustrating to hear that people are sort of complacent right now. I'm on pins and needles waiting on this thing.

seahawks08

Reaction score
12s always show up, may be we are a little slow, but we are known as one of the most loudest and noisiest fans. We will make it happen at the Clink tomorrow. Watch, it will definitely be loud, there is no question about it. The city will wake up rain or shine. GO HAWKS!

Cartire

Reaction score
Everyone is in there home trying to hibernate through this week so it can get over. THE WAITING!!!! AHHHHHHHHH!

lukerguy

Reaction score
Unfortunately, the law of diminishing returns applies to football too.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
lukerguy":g5g7zkj3 said:
Unfortunately, the law of diminishing returns applies to football too.

And it's understandable on some level, but I just wish it would only kick in once we've surpassed Pittsburgh on the trophy count. We've got a long way to go.

tom sawyer

Reaction score
I wonder how much our inconsistency on offense has played into this. We seemed a lot more stable going into the playoffs last year and it was new to be so dominant, now the honeymoon is over, the make-up is worn off, it's off with white dress and on with the sweats, apron and rubber gloves.

But the heat will be on come Saturday evening and after we win... the wine and roses come back, soft music, a little cuddling... okay send the kids out of the room!!! :179417: