Would your opinion of Kam change?

How would your opinion change if Kam can't play?

• Like him more!

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Dislike him more!

Votes: 14 19.7%
  • Meh, don't care

Votes: 16 22.5%
  • Hey! That's how the game is played!

Votes: 31 43.7%
  • Other (comment)

Votes: 6 8.5%

• Total voters

Seymour

Reaction score
jammerhawk":35ef1bb3 said:
10-4 on that.

If you never saw Easley play you missed seeing one of the most dominant players at his position of all time. Kam is a great player but they are not the same.

Kenny had few weaknesses in his game he ran and covered like Earl and hit like Kam.

Well stated and I agree. :2thumbs:

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
Don’t hold anything at all against Kam. What would be the basis for regarding him negatively after this? He simply signed a contract that the team offered him. I sure as hell would have signed it. He ended up hurting himself fulfilling the obligations of the contract. Tough break I suppose, but an outcome clearly foreseeable after watching him the last two years.

Just a terrible move by the FO driven by Pete’s limp nostalgia boner for players past their prime. It was obvious he was deteriorating heath-wise. Some will say he’s a good mentor/looker room presence, but that whole notion is one wildly overblown in importance by fans.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
Seymour":333gcap8 said:
jammerhawk":333gcap8 said:
10-4 on that.

If you never saw Easley play you missed seeing one of the most dominant players at his position of all time. Kam is a great player but they are not the same.

Kenny had few weaknesses in his game he ran and covered like Earl and hit like Kam.

Nothing against the skills or achievements of either Kam or Kenny, but their roles in their respective defenses were/are different to the point where you could almost call their's different positions (I know...nitpicking).

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Grahamhawker":3jj998gi said:
Seymour":3jj998gi said:
jammerhawk":3jj998gi said:
10-4 on that.

Nothing against the skills or achievements of either Kam or Kenny, but their roles in their respective defenses were/are different to the point where you could almost call their's different positions (I know...nitpicking).
The thing is Easley could play multiple positions if needed and all very well.
As said he hit like Kam and covered like Earl.
He could play in any system then and today.
That is how great he was,there will never be another like him.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":1kylt3x9 said:
I blame the NFL for shitty rules that don't allow a player to retire with their guaranteed money without crippling the cap of the team that most likely will want to do what's right by the player. I feel confident the Seahawks would pay Kam his money happily if they didn't have to eat the cap. The rules as they stand cause resentment.

Absolutely; the "CAP" structure is a whole another matter altogether, BUT, I'm not, and I doubt very many others are connecting "Resentment" of goofy League rules to Kam Chancellor.
That's the League being chicken-shit on the matter.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Seymour":1ugm50bl said:
vin.couve12":1ugm50bl said:
Kam is the best, most game altering SS in Seahawks team history. It is what it is.

I love Kam and what he has brought to the team, but please just hold on there with crowning him above the levels of our hall of fame SS. :141847_bnono:

Fc9c73da 7a37 11e7 8953 f559539f6ca3 780x565
^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Seymour":3s0x4o30 said:
vin.couve12":3s0x4o30 said:
Kam is the best, most game altering SS in Seahawks team history. It is what it is.

I love Kam and what he has brought to the team, but please just hold on there with crowning him above the levels of our hall of fame SS. :141847_bnono:

Fc9c73da 7a37 11e7 8953 f559539f6ca3 780x565
He was a FS, IMO. Great centerfielder well above ET. Wasn't at his best when he played in the box. He was an INT machine in the mid to deep routes.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
I'm sure someone is going to challenge whether Easley was a SS or FS, but I really think you're profiling (lol) so to speak. He himself always considered himself a FS, but just watch the tape....anything mid to deep is his damn ball. He owned them. Granted, he came up and blitzed and what not at times, but dude played deep more than not. That's how he had those crazy INT seasons. Honestly though, it seemed like they played at lot of 2 deep man so it's not really free or strong, but Easley was at his best playing deep, trying to be the best free safety ever, as he said in his own words.

chris98251

Reaction score
The thing about Easley is he thrived and beyond playing Free Safety, but thrived and intimidated other teams playing SS, nobody would try him or challenge him at CB when he shifted and in the occurrences that was actually a 4th LB he could take on Lineman and shed blocks to make tackles.

That was what made him special and why comparing him is hard, he played everything better, he just liked the Blonde better then the Brunette personally, it could have very well been the Redhead and he still would have been great.

chris98251

Reaction score
I look at it this way, he isn't a look for an excuse not to play player, he signed a contract as did the Seahawks to protect himself, he didn't try to get hurt, he was playing like he always does full tilt, law of averages caught up to him and now he has a possible career ending injury. Should he walk away and say keep your money and hope his injuries recover and that he can find a way to make a living that will replace the money he walks away from? Or having given everything expect the Seahawks to pay him while he contributes the best as he can as a coach or mentor while a member of the Franchise. Yes expensive as a coach but at least he involved and not sitting in a resort.

Seymour

Reaction score
vin.couve12":11gznq1v said:
I'm sure someone is going to challenge whether Easley was a SS or FS, but I really think you're profiling (lol) so to speak. He himself always considered himself a FS, but just watch the tape....anything mid to deep is his damn ball. He owned them. Granted, he came up and blitzed and what not at times, but dude played deep more than not. That's how he had those crazy INT seasons. Honestly though, it seemed like they played at lot of 2 deep man so it's not really free or strong, but Easley was at his best playing deep, trying to be the best free safety ever, as he said in his own words.

Kenneth Mason Easley Jr. (born January 15, 1959)[1] is a former American college and professional football player who was a strong safety in the National Football League (NFL) for seven seasons during the 1980s. He played college football for the University of California, Los Angeles and was a three-time consensus All-American. A first-round pick in the 1981 NFL Draft, Easley played professionally for the NFL's Seattle Seahawks from 1981 to 1987. Easley has been considered to be among the best defensive backs during his era and one of the Seahawks' all-time greatest players.[2]

chris98251

Reaction score
The position he played even as Free Safety was not the same as Earl or Kam because of scheme. They had different responsibilities based on type of system used.

Seymour

Reaction score
Yes he kinda played both. But point is, Kam is not the best Seattle safety of either type of all time.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
I beg to differ.

If I'm picking all time safeties even outside of the Hawks I still put Kam in there at pure SS even over the likes of Atwater, Lynch, Woodson, etc strictly because he's the biggest game changer as a hitter and run defender that there's ever been. Atwater comes closer than others, but no cigar. I've seen endless safeties smack some backs, WRs, and even TEs, but never has there been a safety who destroys even OL on a regular basis until Kam. It's literally not close from a physicality aspect.

And if I'm picking FS then I go Brian Dawkins, not Ed Reed, not Kenny Easley, and certainly not ET. I'll take the two heaviest hitters at each position knowing full well they're both plenty good enough in pure coverage. People would have to pay to play in there like they were fear and loathing. I'm sure a lot of people would put Easley at SS and Reed at FS and go pure coverage guys (although Easley did have a few good hits here and there for a slender, lanky player).

Give me a couple of all around awesome Woodsons at corner (Rod and Charles) and I'm set. Definitely no Deion Sanders. I literally watched him get slapped to the ground THREE times in one play on a run play to his side. It was disgraceful.

I don't have a lot of the same criteria as a lot of people, who seem like they would rather watch basketball or something.

Cover 2 base defense is probably a different story and if I go with a base defense of cover 1 then you're probably going to just suck anyway because you're running cover 1 as a base a la the brilliant Chip Kelly defenses. It's just plain stupid.

Seafan

Reaction score
IMO the Hawks wouldn't have kept him this long if he didn't have a chance to play this year. He now has guaranteed money they could have avoided.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Kam specifically had a full year under Milloy for a reason. I'm sure there is a possibility that he could play, but it's certainly not a given. It's probably that the guaranteed money will sit with the expectation that he'll be a DB coach so to speak. McDougald raved about his input on essentially any given situation.

If he's done then he's done though. Reality is reality and there's some money that counts against the cap this year and a buy out next year would be likely if not outright cut and more cap hit.

A buyout this year actually is possible if he truly is done though. Kind of depends on if or likely when the official word is. I don't really like people coming back when they might have to learn to walk again or never walk again.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Also, probably doesn't mean much to some, but Kam playing in an era of trying to keep the head out of the game matters to a fairly great extent. He's had his mistakes. He knocked himself silly hitting Boldin one time. He took Mike Iupati out of a game once, and probably a few other mistakes, but he's largely kept it remarkably clean. It's ironic given the injury. The spine itself might actually be better off straightened like a horned animal. The brain is a different story, as we know.