espn ranks nfl qbs

Smellyman

Reaction score
gowazzu02":zrznvhd9 said:
Popeyejones":zrznvhd9 said:
I think three things are happening on this list:

1) Russell Wilson is getting penalized by recency bias.

2) Russell Wilson is no longer getting the ascendancy bump.

3) Wilson is now getting dinged for seeming to not be a good fit in every offense.

ON #1:

Seahawks fans have a ton of reasons for it, but last year Wilson played the full season and was #10 in yards, #7 in YPA, #17 in TDs, #16 in INTs, and #14 in QB rating.

Average across those five standard QB stats he was the 13th best QB in the NFL.

Basically, I suspect that Hawks fans note that he was playing injured and the line was bad and want to move him up from 13th to 5th or 6th, whereas professional evaluators in the NFL take these things and move him up to 10.

ON #2:

Wilson is 28 now and is going into his sixth season as a full-time starter. I don't know if it's wise or fair or not, but he's no longer getting the "still improving" bump that young QBs get.

Last year also really changed opinions of Wilson, as people, for the first time, got to see him trying to carry his team without an all-world defense and all-world running game. I know Hawks fans have reasons for this, but he didn't do too well in that role, which is one of the reasons the Hawks have been adamant about returning to a run-first offense.

ON #3:

I've posted a lot about this before and will spare the details, but folks have been waiting for Wilson to develop into a player that can use the pocket and manipulate the pocket like all the other Tier 1 and Tier 2 QBs, and that just hasn't happened yet. Even this pre-season he has still been doing the same stuff that drives a lot of offensive coordinators and coaches batty.

PERSONALLY, as I've said before, I still think he'll have a Roethlisberger-like career trajectory (going from being a very good QB to a top 5 QB in his 30s as he finally settles down behind the LOS and learns how to use his blocking to his advantage), but as for right now I think this ranking makes sense (caveat: EVEN THOUGH I think he'll be higher than #10 by the end of this year).

In order to be a pocket passer you need to be given a pocket to pass from...........

Not to mention from the pocket he has been the best in the league.

saying not good in the pocket even on a Seahawk forum? smh

Steve2222

Reaction score
Russell and Marshawn complimented each other evenly. Marshawn Lynch's best seasons statistically across the board were from 2012-2014, which were of course Wilsons first three years in the league.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Steve2222":3flntfom said:
Russell and Marshawn complimented each other evenly. Marshawn Lynch's best seasons statistically across the board were from 2012-2014, which were of course Wilsons first three years in the league.

and they both masked cruddy olines

Seymour

Reaction score
Smellyman":1dxyadlk said:
Maulbert":1dxyadlk said:
Stafford? He of the 5-46 record vs. Winning teams?

but he is tall with a VERY strong arm!

Exactly. He could throw 3 picks per game and that would about cancel out Russells point reduction for being "too short".

NJlargent

Reaction score
Wilson is the best tier 2 on this list but does not belong in tier 1 just yet. I think he's 10th because of our annual regression the past few years. That's why Ryan is up and Wilson is down.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
andyh64000":2kwxnilt said:
Rest of the West...

T16 Palmer
31 Hoyer
32 Goff

*Kaepernick was #29

Bear in mind that according to ESPN....Kaepernick can walk on water and they are begging every team in the NFL to PLEASE give him a job!!!

seatownlowdown

Reaction score
gowazzu02":1uxlm0t3 said:
In order

Tier 1
Brady
Rodgers
Roethlisburger
Brees
Ryan

Tier 2
LUCK!
Carr
Rivers
Stafford
Russel Wilson

Discuss.

id like to see how those other qbs would perform behind the seahawks offensive line ;)

Anthony!

Reaction score
NJlargent":1db5u528 said:
Wilson is the best tier 2 on this list but does not belong in tier 1 just yet. I think he's 10th because of our annual regression the past few years. That's why Ryan is up and Wilson is down.

first, the tiers are not in order only that they all supposedly belong there 2nd your opinion on not belonging even if stats say other wise. Annual regression LOL yeah ahh again not what the facts show.

adeltaY

Reaction score
The list is in order based on the avg tier ranking of the player by the voters.

Brady 1.00
Rodgers 1.00
Roeth. 1.40
Brees 1.42
Ryan 1.48
Luck 1.72
Carr 1.90
Rivers 1.96
Stafford 1.96
Wilson 2.08
Manning 2.18
Newton 2.30
Cousins 2.48
Prescott 2.52
Flacco 2.54
Palmer 2.56
Mariota 2.56
Winston 2.58
Dalton 2.66
Smith 2.82
Wentz 2.92
Tannehill 3.02
Bradford 3.14
Cutler 3.16
Taylor 3.40
Siemian 3.78
Glennon 3.86
Kaepernick 3.88
Bortles 3.98
Lynch 3.98
Hoyer 4.00
Goff 4.06
Savage 4.08
McCown 4.12
Osweiler 4.20
Kessler 4.42

adeltaY

Reaction score
Not sure why these execs ranked Carr higher than Wilson. That one seems most egregious to me. Stafford and Luck being above him is highly suspect as well. Sixth after Rivers seems fair to me.

I really agree with the poster who mentioned that evaluators don't give Wilson enough credit for his rushing value, whether that be the ability to use the zone read to open up the running game or the actual yards he gains through designed runs and scrambles. None of the other tier 1 guys provide that, except for Rodgers.

Also, Ryan vaulting up the rankings in people's estimation is so weird. It's only last offseason many were saying he was the worst QB in his division! Reigning MVP Cam Newton fell far down the rankings, what's to say Ryan won't either? I get that he's always been a consistent passer, but when were people saying he was an elite QB before last season? Seems really biased to me.

I swear the bias towards tall pocket passing dudes with cannon arms is seeming more and more real. Wilson contributes to the offense in a non-traditional way, so what? He wins a lot and is exciting to watch and that's what matters. Fieldgulls has a solid rant on this subject: https://www.fieldgulls.com/2017/8/23/16 ... ilson-10th

chris98251

Reaction score
This goes back to Tarkington wasn't a good QB because he was different, Flutie wasn't good because he was different, even prior to that Jim Zorn was not looked at as ever being good because he was one left handed and two a scrambler. Roger Staubach was always second string behind Morton because he was a scrambler as well till Morton was traded to Denver.

The stigma has been around a long time, after the Stats are tallied at the end of their careers everyone all of a sudden starts giving these guys credit, Flutie was never acknowledged for how good he really was because they kept wanting to replace him with someone even when he was winning.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
I see Russ as #6 obviously behind Brady, Brees and Rodgers and just behind Ryan and Roethlisberger. He's Tier 2 though so at least they got that right.

HawkMark1976

Reaction score
LIke in all sports, the ranks of the NFL executives are full of idiots that run teams that cannot seriously compete for SBs. The QBs ranked 6 to 9 are regular season stat compilers who have and never ever will never get deep into the playoffs nor win a SB because management is not structured to assemble a talented team. Russ should be ranked 6 or 5 in that stupid list.

May the 2017 Seahawks end with a 12-4 record and get to SB 52. However, the shaky O line will make that goal hard to achieve.

sdog1981

Reaction score
adeltaY":78pvu0v8 said:

Brady 1.00
Rodgers 1.00
Roeth. 1.40
Brees 1.42
Ryan 1.48
Luck 1.72
Carr 1.90
Rivers 1.96
Stafford 1.96
Wilson 2.08
Manning 2.18
Newton 2.30
Cousins 2.48
Prescott 2.52
Flacco 2.54
Palmer 2.56
Mariota 2.56

Thanks. I did not have access to the full article. Any list that has Joe Flacco and Matt "Fat Face" Stafford that high and Wilson that low is a rediculous list.

Steve2222

Reaction score
I would like to see who the voters were who thought Stafford, Luck, Carr and Rivers were Tier 1

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Steve2222":1mkppn4c said:
I would like to see who the voters were who thought Stafford, Luck, Carr and Rivers were Tier 1

Carr certainly proved it last year, but nowhere near the sustained success needed yet to be put in tier one.

Seymour

Reaction score
sdog1981":13z3s1zg said:
adeltaY":13z3s1zg said:

Brady 1.00
Rodgers 1.00
Roeth. 1.40
Brees 1.42
Ryan 1.48
Luck 1.72
Carr 1.90
Rivers 1.96
Stafford 1.96
Wilson 2.08
Manning 2.18
Newton 2.30
Cousins 2.48
Prescott 2.52
Flacco 2.54
Palmer 2.56
Mariota 2.56

Thanks. I did not have access to the full article. Any list that has Joe Flacco and Matt "Fat Face" Stafford that high and Wilson that low is a rediculous list.

Agree.

Is this by chance based on 2016 play and not their career numbers?

Only thing that comes close to making sense to me.