New Dion Jordan Injury

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Pete just said at practice that Jordan's going to be out "a while."

So not only starting on the PUP list, but he has a stresser in the opposite leg he had the knee surgery on before. Not good, and exactly what we didn't need if we want any sort of a pass rush this year.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/1024379626007588864[/tweet]

On the other hand, it's still early in camp, and I'm high on Rasheem Green and Marcus Smith. Clark should be back soon.

OP
OP
Sgt. Largent

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawknation2018":30o7pk1x said:

On the other hand, it's still early in camp, and I'm high on Rasheem Green and Marcus Smith. Clark should be back soon.

I like your optimism, but for any D-line to be dangerous you need AT LEAST two, if not three good pass rushers. If Jordan can't go and Smith and Green are just rotation bodies....................... Clark better get used to being double and triple teamed all year.

The chain effect is we also have a very young defensive backfield that desperately needs the line to play well so they're not expected to follow receivers for 6-7 seconds a snap.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
I can see us grabbing a Cliff Avril/experienced player type signing late in preseason at this rate.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2kozh293 said:
hawknation2018":2kozh293 said:

I like your optimism, but for any D-line to be dangerous you need AT LEAST two, if not three good pass rushers. If Jordan can't go and Smith and Green are just rotation bodies....................... Clark better get used to being double and triple teamed all year.

The chain effect is we also have a very young defensive backfield that desperately needs the line to play well so they're not expected to follow receivers for 6-7 seconds a snap.

Smith and Green are talented players, particularly Green's combo of power, length, and speed.

They could also go with a Red Bryant-sized 5T with Shamar Stephen playing outside or even Tom Johnson. If Jarran Reed, Naz Jones, and Poona Ford excel inside, that could open up an opportunity for Stephen or Johnson to play outside. I also haven't heard much about Quinton Jefferson, who has flashed at 5T in the past. There have been some good reports on Branden Jackson lately.

Clark, Reed, Naz Jones, Tom Johnson, Green, Stephen, Smith, and possibly Jefferson or Jackson.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1024390449669144576[/tweet]

2_0_6

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":1sdrccci said:
I can see us grabbing a Cliff Avril/experienced player type signing late in preseason at this rate.

They asked him if he would be willing to come back while he was on the air with his show today. He actually hesitated for a minute and sounded like he would consider it.

OP
OP
Sgt. Largent

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawknation2018":3r842qwb said:
Clark, Reed, Naz Jones, Tom Johnson, Green, Stephen, Smith, and possibly Jefferson or Jackson.

That rotation isn't striking fear into any team on our schedule.

Obviously any of these players has the ability to step up and play well, but on paper this is the worst D-line we've had under Pete.

FinNasty

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":ktitfoyc said:

So not only starting on the PUP list, but he has a stresser in the opposite leg he had the knee surgery on before. Not good, and exactly what we didn't need if we want any sort of a pass rush this year.

...if only you had drafted the kid with the highest pass rush efficiency in all of college football last year.

Oh wait... 8)

OP
OP
Sgt. Largent

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
FinNasty":109v2zcu said:
Sgt. Largent":109v2zcu said:

...if only you had drafted the kid with the highest pass rush efficiency in all of college football last year.

Oh wait... 8)

Too soon.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
Disappointed, but was expecting this. When/if he comes back from this, it'll be something else.

This is the same situation at Prosise.

Hate to be so negative about it, such a bummer. :|

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2agd0tdo said:
hawknation2018":2agd0tdo said:

Obviously any of these players has the ability to step up and play well, but on paper this is the worst D-line we've had under Pete.

I think the DL was weaker from 2010-12. Clark is better than Chris Clemons.

OP
OP
Sgt. Largent

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawknation2018":36kx011i said:
Sgt. Largent":36kx011i said:
hawknation2018":36kx011i said:

I think the DL was weaker from 2010-12. Clark is better than Chris Clemons.

We'll see, at least by 2011 we had some dependable vets and depth while our young DB's and LB's kicked ass, with guys like Mebane, Clemons, McDonald and Branch.

Again, this is not so much an indictment on our young line with some potential, it's about being thin and shaky at BOTH the D-line and defensive backfield. You can sometimes get away with one if the other is above average, but both shaky? No.

FinNasty

Reaction score
Through hours of tedious work, Chris calculated the top 100 pass-rush-disruption percentages in college football from 2017. This data covers pressures (sacks, hits and hurries) per pass rush snaps. Here is a list of the top 10.

Player Pass Rush Efficiency
Shaquem Griffin (UCF) 21.6%
Brian Womac (RICE) 21.3%
Marcus Davenport (UTSA) 20.3%
Jeff Holland (Auburn) 19.5%
Easy Anyama (Texas State) 18.1%
Lorenzo Carter (Georgia) 17.7%
Justin Lawler (Southern Methodist) 16.8%
Ja’Von Rolland-Jones (Arkansas State) 16.7%
Arden Key (LSU) 16.5%
Sam Hubbard (Ohio State) 16.3%

https://www.lockedondolphins.com/dolphi ... m-griffin/

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Let's see what happens.

Maybe he can come back after missing a few games if we can get him back before that murder's row run we have after the Detroit game? That would be great.

Griffin being able to be another speed rusher on obvious passing downs is going to help, maybe he can play a Bruce Irvin type role there.

Reed is supposedly turning into a better pass rusher and I know we were going to be worse losing some of the pieces we did regardless.

But I think pinning Jordan as another Procise is a bit premature.

toffee

Reaction score
hawknation2018":2hmzivze said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1024390449669144576[/tweet]

That didn't sound as bad, but Jordan has been fragile in mental toughness, resulting in any setback blowing into something bigger. He has been his own worst enemy.