How do they fix D-Line?

bill99350

Reaction score
So just a question I wanted to throw out to my hawk peeps! What should the Seahawks do
To fix D-Line next year? Who would u cut, go after in FA and or re-sign? What do you guys think?

cymatica

Reaction score
Change the defensive scheme/coordinator. Teams know how to attack this defensive, makes it extremely tough on the dline. Play more aggressive against the short/intermediate pass game.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
They need to start hitting on more of their picks or have one of the young guys develop, plain and simple. We've thrown a lot of draft capital at the position for little return. I believe since 2016 we've used at least one of our first two picks on D-Lineman. Clark and Reed are the only noteworthy players from those classes. Even so Clark was a hot and cold pass rusher that didn't really have a knack for run stopping. Reed had a fantastic season in 2018, but he has been an enigma this season. He's been washed out, has been unable to hold ground and is not getting any pressure. Same defensive coordinator and scheme, different year, drastically different performance. I hope he bounces back.

We also need another Brandon Mebane sort of character. That has been severely lacking since he left our team. Mebane would eat up multiple blockers while collapsing the pocket. Around the time he left is when our defensive line really started declining. Very underrated Seahawk. While he wasn't flashy he was an enabler. He kept the LBs clean and made it so the QB couldn't step up in the pocket. He's done a fantastic job anchoring the SD Chargers line since he left as well.

Jville

Reaction score
bill99350":3bxglzcr said:
So just a question I wanted to throw out to my hawk peeps! What should the Seahawks do
To fix D-Line next year? Who would u cut, go after in FA and or re-sign? What do you guys think?

Depth and Competition. Return to a great 7 man rotation is the goal. In fact, the 49ers saw their previously outstanding rotation deteriorate thru injury as the season wore on. It was a factor in the most recent contest. As the 49er defensive line wore down, it gave way to a strong second half by the Seahawks offense.

So continuing the search for a more effective 7 man rotation is the challenge. It's a process. :biggthumpup:

Chawker

Reaction score
We should get Al Woods back for the NFC Championship game if I'm not mistaken, that would be a boost to our D-line. resigning him would be nice after the season he has had.

massari

Reaction score
Re-sign Clowney, Reed and Jefferson

Sign Robert Quinn/Dante Fowler to replace Ansah

Sign Danny Shelton to replace Woods

chris98251

Reaction score
massari":8efwx24p said:

I think Ansah with a year of training himself without injury recovery will be back closer to the player he was, I would keep him, recovery of a injury and then having what I call compensation injuries because he favored that shoulder was a lot of the problems. If he can be 75 percent of what he was before the shoulder that's a huge upgrade over what we have seen and what we have and at a reasonable cost.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
massari":ab9x7int said:

I'm in on all except any reason we can't have both Shelton and Woods? Al will come cheap after the suspension I'd think. He could spell Shelton.
Fowler is 4 years younger than Quinn

getnasty

Reaction score
massari":vcowo5i7 said:

Sounds expensive

Seymour

Reaction score
What you DON'T do is re-sign everyone then expect different results! I'm not even signing Clowney at 22+M with his injury history. :177692:

ctrl-alt-del and re-boot. Possibly sign Reed if he comes with a reasonable salary.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
getnasty":2msbrbc6 said:
massari":2msbrbc6 said:

Sounds expensive

Personally I think most of you money should go to the QB and the DL in this league. Rules have neutered DB/LB play. Can't hit people hard or cover them aggressively, so all you can do is disrupt the passer. So make sure that you are spending appropriately on defense.

Priorities should be: QB>DL>OL>WR>DB>RB=LB. And that's probably why the league salaries are reflective of that priority list. General managers know which positions are important and therefor costly.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Seymour":2acmxajx said:
What you DON'T do is re-sign everyone then expect different results! I'm not even signing Clowney at 22+M with his injury history. :177692:

ctrl-alt-del and re-boot. Possibly sign Reed if he comes with a reasonable salary.
I admit Clowney's injury makes me leery

getnasty

Reaction score
I have no clue what to do with Clowney but at this point i will say sign him, sign Reed, sign Jeferson, draft Joe Greenard and hope Collier and Greene get better.

justafan

Reaction score
Clowney is a tough call. This is his contract year I would have expected more. I doubt he will get better after a career contract. He played tough, did the dirty work and even took over a couple games but for 22 mil you need to get sacks.

We can have one of the worst Ds in the league with or without him or any of the other players. Right now I dont feel much love for anyone on the D side of the ball. I had high hopes for Reed until the suspension.

Back to the draft and see what we can get, hope Green,Poona and Collier develop and see whats out there in FA.

This team has a few more chances to prove they are woth keeping,hopefully the intensity is turned up a notch or 3

chris98251

Reaction score
justafan":3k9twylz said:
Clowney is a tough call. This is his contract year I would have expected more. I doubt he will get better after a career contract. He played tough, did the dirty work and even took over a couple games but for 22 mil you need to get sacks.

We can have one of the worst Ds in the league with or without him or any of the other players. Right now I dont feel much love for anyone on the D side of the ball. I had high hopes for Reed until the suspension.

Back to the draft and see what we can get, hope Green,Poona and Collier develop and see whats out there in FA.

This team has a few more chances to prove they are woth keeping,hopefully the intensity is turned up a notch or 3

This is where you are wrong, when he demands two and three players to defend him he will not get sacks, at least not the double digit ones that Stat idiots attribute to good players, he does however open the way for 3 and 4 other guys to spread Sacks out amongst them.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
massari":1sc65kzm said:

Not sure how much all that would cost but I like it.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
IMO LB has been a much bigger issue, they can't cover worth a damn. They are getting old and there simply not playing consistent enough anymore. Hopefully we can get a good performance Sunday night they are going to need it.

onepicknick1

Reaction score
So what position is one of PC JS weakness at evaluating talent?. I use to do a lot of contracting if I knew just little about something I'd hire the best I could find in that trade not by just interviewing but by what others contractors had to say about the person. If he was the best He's the one I wanted I let him do his job and make me look brilliant.
I would say the Line on both sides of the Ball has been a concern get someone who really know how to evaluate linemen anyway that's how I see it.

Think about it though as bad as the line has been how does PC consistently brings this team to the playoffs. The 14 Hawks I would of wanted the D on the field for the last minutes protecting the lead as of now I would rather have the Offense on the field protecting the lead.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
chris98251":ko1odmif said:
justafan":ko1odmif said:

This is where you are wrong, when he demands two and three players to defend him he will not get sacks, at least not the double digit ones that Stat idiots attribute to good players, he does however open the way for 3 and 4 other guys to spread Sacks out amongst them.
And the problem is those guys haven't gotten them

Latest posts