Poll: Will Pete let Russ cook in 2020-2021?

Simple poll: Will Pete let Russ cook for the 2020-2021 NFL Season?

• Yes - Open offensive playbook sometime in the first half through the season

Votes: 20 44.4%
  • No - Trust the formula, Russ can cook when needed

Votes: 25 55.6%

• Total voters

ZagHawk

Reaction score
Simple poll: Will Pete let Russ cook for the 2020-2021 NFL Season (not 1-2 games)?

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Cook? Are we talking Executive chef, head chef or sous chef? I think maybe a better analogy would be driving. As a parent who has gone through kids getting their licenses and then driving off alone for the first time, this makes more sense to me. Let Russ cook or let Russ have the keys to the car and go where he pleases?

The let “Russ cook” argument has been going on for awhile now so I highly doubt that narrative will change. Russ is the perfect QB to go old school and call his own plays. Let him cook, let him drive. He’ll let him be the OC.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1fa87amh said:
Here comes Jim Moore: The Cooking People
So damn stupid
I cannot stand that term or Jim Moore.
But yes they need to open up the playbook in the 1st half and not wait until 2 minutes left in then half to open it up.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
You mean the QB's who's now a top 2-3 elite perennial All Pro that's in the top 5 of every statistical category that matters and is on his way to the HOF?

Yeah we should definitely stop all this and do something different.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Define exactly what that will look like, please.

I'm curious, SportsHernia, how different that would look than what the Hawks actually did this past season. Please be very specific, on a play-by-play basis, or some examples that aren't just generalities. I'm not implying you cannot do this; but that I've not yet seen clear examples (down-and-distance type O-Cord. decisions) shown as to a better way by those arguing "yes" to this poll.

Maybe it's just an execution problem early on, and not specifically play-calling. I guess I just need to know more before I can honestly take the poll.

notyou

Reaction score
It may be an execution problem or it may be being to predicable. It usually looks like the other team has the Seahawks game plan for the 1st half. They need to be less predictable coming out of the gate. If it's an execution issue, this should've been coached out & fixed years ago.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2sk9gsec said:
You mean the QB's who's now a top 2-3 elite perennial All Pro that's in the top 5 of every statistical category that matters and is on his way to the HOF?

Yeah we should definitely stop all this and do something different.
It’s a simple fix. Play all quarters like you play the 4th qtr.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":28ijdi6q said:

I'm curious, SportsHernia, how different that would look than what the Hawks actually did this past season. Please be very specific, on a play-by-play basis, or some examples that aren't just generalities. I'm not implying you cannot do this; but that I've not yet seen clear examples (down-and-distance type O-Cord. decisions) shown as to a better way by those arguing "yes" to this poll.

Maybe it's just an execution problem early on, and not specifically play-calling. I guess I just need to know more before I can honestly take the poll.
I didn’t know Pete and Marty had an account here, just joking. 8)

All I’m saying is play every quarter like the do the 4th quarter. It’s not that difficult of a concept to understand.
Quit being predictable in the first half. Don’t be so content to punt in the first half.

Erebus

Reaction score
I don't know what Pete will do, so I can't answer the poll. Based on past history, I'd say its unlikely. However, if the question was should instead of will, then the answer would be a resounding yes.

OP
OP
Z

ZagHawk

Reaction score
Erebus":ni86tu33 said:
I don't know what Pete will do, so I can't answer the poll. Based on past history, I'd say its unlikely. However, if the question was should instead of will, then the answer would be a resounding yes.

And that is my actual poll question. Will he? Way different than what people want him to do..

xray

Reaction score
Season 9 coming up for Wilson . Only one person can F-up his season .

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":otca76u9 said:

I don't know about "Sports Hernia", but for me?, it's a matter of TRUST, trust in whether or not, you trust your Quarterback to make the right decisions while under the gun, BEFORE the 4th quarter gets under way...IF Russ is pulling the Coaches fat out of the fire in the last 15 minutes to win the game?, why not TRUST him to start EARLIER in the game, instead of waiting for the opponent to DICTATE, and sometimes lock up the game....IF other Coaches know that Wilson is under constraints, they will hold their load, just like the Packers did in the Playoffs.....Trust Russ, or trust the man on the side-lines >>> Schottenheimer....I know where my faith lies....A top 3 Quarterback...PERIOD.

RW4LIFE

Reaction score
As good as RW's stats have been, they could be so much better, namely in the most important category of all - wins, playoffs, and the Super Bowl.

It's been too little too late for too long for the Seahawks the last few seasons.

Pete's time is nearly up.

This is Wilson's team.

In Wilson we trust.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
So far, nobody has shown specifics of down-and-distance specific decisions that should be different. You're just noting the same generalities as usual.

Is Russ as successful as he is in the 2nd half BECAUSE of the first-half rope-a-dope, or conservative play-calling, or what have you? I'm not blindly defending PC's approach; there'a a good chance his game should change with Russ behind center. But I can't vote on this poll until I know more than a few fans saying "turn Russ loose."

Where's the actual evidence of what plays were called, why they were called in those specific situations, and what PC's actual philosophy is, not what fans, educated as they may be in football generally, surmise about the specifics of this team?

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
Pete’s not holding RW up. He is holding him down. Imagine if he let RW play the other half of games? He might finally get a way overdue MVP vote or two.

The answer is No.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":9rwr6yar said:
So far, nobody has shown specifics of down-and-distance specific decisions that should be different. You're just noting the same generalities as usual.

Is Russ as successful as he is in the 2nd half BECAUSE of the first-half rope-a-dope, or conservative play-calling, or what have you? I'm not blindly defending PC's approach; there'a a good chance his game should change with Russ behind center. But I can't vote on this poll until I know more than a few fans saying "turn Russ loose."

Where's the actual evidence of what plays were called, why they were called in those specific situations, and what PC's actual philosophy is, not what fans, educated as they may be in football generally, surmise about the specifics of this team?
I know this is not what you are looking for but I’ll answer your question with a Few questions.

Why do the Hawks consistently look like garbage in the 1st half of games except the last 2 minutes of the half?

Does Russ just decide to suck during that time?

Or is it piss poor game planning?

Piss poor offensive playcalling?

All of the above?

Some of the above?

Pete has said he likes games close in the 4th qtr. ...and as much as I love the guy I don’t get that mindset.
If you can blow a teams doors off early, then do it.

I know the counter argument will be “hey they are successful with it, why change it?”

Well because if they score more in the first half, and play every qtr like the 4th, their win totals will almost certainly increase.

Why was XLVIII such an awesome game? Because they blew the doors off the Donks and kept their foot on the gas the entire game.

kf3339

Reaction score
Sports Hernia post:

Pete has said he likes games close in the 4th qtr. ...and as much as I love the guy I don’t get that mindset.
If you can blow a teams doors off early, then do it.

I completely agree Sports Hernia! It is one of the things that really annoys me about PC. I can't think of any past really successful HC that has that mentality. There may be some out there, but I can't think of any.