Nwosu Likely Out For Season

LTH

Reaction score
I dont think they will make any move... but if they did Frank Clark?

LTH

LTH

Reaction score
Probably a FA signing coming soon.
Or

Levi Bell.
Ya know... I like Bell as a full back. Probably not going to happen but dang ... remember the fridge? That's what we need 😆

LTH

nwHawk

Reaction score
That Hill pick may come in handy. Young guy is going to get plenty of snaps now.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
This is bad news!!!

He’s the team’s best pass rusher, next up is Taylor and he is often soft against the run. Mafe it’s your time, the rookie, ???

To me it’s time for some FA moves or a trade. Sadly the team is not in a position to pay big $ and anyone who is any good is going costa lotta.

Maybe Frank Clark? Are there others who might be shoe horned somehow under the cap?

CouchLogic

Reaction score
Next man up. Huge loss, but plenty of season left to figure out what to do. A few interesting players currently on the roster.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
This is bad news!!!

He’s the team’s best pass rusher, next up is Taylor and he is often soft against the run. Mafe it’s your time, the rookie, ???

To me it’s time for some FA moves or a trade. Sadly the team is not in a position to pay big $ and anyone who is any good is going costa lotta.

Maybe Frank Clark? Are there others who might be shoe horned somehow under the cap?

Mafe has been the best edge defender this year. By far. Hall will need to step up and I’m interested to see if Bell can hold the edge against actual pros.

knownone

Reaction score
Exploring the trade market might be worthwhile. Cap space will be an issue. But adding more experience would be nice. Darrell Taylor seems far too inconsistent to rely on as an every-down player.

12forlife

Reaction score
This is not good, Taylor is a major liability against the run, and has done nothing this year as far as sacks

Lagartixa

Reaction score
Can Seattle redo burns contract for this year and give him a new deal next year after the season is over?

"Redo" how?
If you mean just paying him less money for this season, then no. He's on the fifth year of a first-round rookie contract, which was fully guaranteed when the Panthers decided before his fourth season to keep him for the fifth.
His whole contract is fully guaranteed salary, so there isn't much they could do other than giving him an extension and using that to lower the 2023 cap hit, but then there would be huge cap implications (in addition to the $11.5M in dead 2023 money and $23M in dead 2024 money from trading Metcalf) down the road. And even if there were a way to just pay him less for this season, there's no way he'd accept that. Why should he? He's got his $16M+ fully guaranteed this season, and there's the risk he gets injured this season and hurts or completely eliminates his future earning potential.

Further, Burns is a good edge rusher in the final year of a rookie contract. The negotiation for a contract would start at what it would cost a team to keep Burns for two consecutive years on the franchise tag. That's about $21.6M and $26M for a DE, so roughly $23.75M per year for two years, probably less if he's considered a linebacker and not a DE, but a team taking that negotiating tactic could easily see negotiations halted, because Burns knows he'll be in demand if he just plays out his fifth-year deal and gets to the open market. Burns is going to want a longer extension too.

I would not only be shocked if a deal like trading Metcalf for Burns happened, but also very disappointed. I am hopeful that the Seahawks front office has learned from its previous attempts at big "splash" moves to bring in big-name players. I don't expect them to throw away so much cap space to let a productive player work really cheap for another team so they can bring in a player as an expensive several-game rental, plus have to get rid of other players to make the cap space or negotiate a multi-year deal that would make Burns by far the highest-paid player on the defense and the highest-paid or second-highest-paid player on the team and give him gigantic cap hits in 2024 and subsequent years.

hawks85

Reaction score
"Redo" how?
If you mean just paying him less money for this season, then no. He's on the fifth year of a first-round rookie contract, which was fully guaranteed when the Panthers decided before his fourth season to keep him for the fifth.
His whole contract is fully guaranteed salary, so there isn't much they could do other than giving him an extension and using that to lower the 2023 cap hit, but then there would be huge cap implications (in addition to the $11.5M in dead 2023 money and $23M in dead 2024 money from trading Metcalf) down the road. And even if there were a way to just pay him less for this season, there's no way he'd accept that. Why should he? He's got his $16M+ fully guaranteed this season, and there's the risk he gets injured this season and hurts or completely eliminates his future earning potential.

Further, Burns is a good edge rusher in the final year of a rookie contract. The negotiation for a contract would start at what it would cost a team to keep Burns for two consecutive years on the franchise tag. That's about $21.6M and $26M for a DE, so roughly $23.75M per year for two years, probably less if he's considered a linebacker and not a DE, but a team taking that negotiating tactic could easily see negotiations halted, because Burns knows he'll be in demand if he just plays out his fifth-year deal and gets to the open market. Burns is going to want a longer extension too.

I would not only be shocked if a deal like trading Metcalf for Burns happened, but also very disappointed. I am hopeful that the Seahawks front office has learned from its previous attempts at big "splash" moves to bring in big-name players. I don't expect them to throw away so much cap space to let a productive player work really cheap for another team so they can bring in a player as an expensive several-game rental, plus have to get rid of other players to make the cap space or negotiate a multi-year deal that would make Burns by far the highest-paid player on the defense and the highest-paid or second-highest-paid player on the team and give him gigantic cap hits in 2024 and subsequent years.
Oh Okay, I understand now.

JerHawk81

Reaction score
This is not good, Taylor is a major liability against the run, and has done nothing this year as far as sacks

On Sunday, Taylor put up 1.5 sacks, plus got a holding call to negate another 1st down, plus batted a ball.

Taylor runs hot and cold as a pass rusher, and isn't as well rounded as Nwosu. But, the kid has merit.

CanHawksFan

Reaction score
This really sucks. I wonder how it's going to affect Mafe going forward. He's been lights out all season, but teams will probably be able to scheme against him a little easier now.

I think we're pretty aware of what Taylor's strengths and weaknesses are. For me, the guy who is going to need to step up big time is 2nd round pick Derrick Hall.