Nwosu Likely Out For Season

12th_Bob

Reaction score
If they go outside to find a back fill potential front end starter, keeping my eye on Josh Uche, would be a legit challenger to Darrell and we could pick which one to extend in the off season, otherwise grab a vet edge setting off a practice squad for depth.

Rat

Reaction score
Burns takes us firmly from playoff contender to legitimate Super Bowl contender, but it would be very expensive. You're probably looking at a first rounder and change as a starting point, and I doubt they take guys like Noah Fant and Michael Jackson as filler.

MyrtleHawk

Can I get a hoyyaaa
Reaction score
If we're looking for ROI, I'd say just put Levi Bell in there. It could improve him as a player getting more snaps and experience without having to sacrifice draft capital or have to restructure contracts to stay under the cap.

Levi Bell did pretty well in the pre-season, I thought for sure he outplayed Taylor despite playing against 2nd and 3rd stringers and was surprised we cut him from the 53 cutdowns

jlwaters1

Reaction score
Dang...just this morning Pete was saying that he'd miss at least a week but they didn't know anything more yet. Sucks to hear. I'm sure Mafe will do well with extra snaps, but Nwosu will definitely be missed over the rest of the season. Hopefully they can get him back to 100%. Man is a beast on the field
Won’t really affect Mafe, he’s been starting opposite of Chenna, more of a Hall and Taylor situation

jlwaters1

Reaction score
I suspect they might resign Tyreke Smith who was cut in preseason.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Elevate Tyreke. They'll be alright. Hall will step up.

Sucks for Uchenna, though. That guy is awesome.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Won’t really affect Mafe, he’s been starting opposite of Chenna, more of a Hall and Taylor situation

Not directly, but I assume that there will be more snaps shared on the other side and Mafe staying in more than he usually does. I think he gets about half of the snaps and that should probably jump closer to 70% or so. That likely needs to happen with our current personnel or we will lose some of our pressures.

Jville

Reaction score
Snap count percentages of players mentioned in this thread ..............

Uchenna Nwosu .............. 67.2%
Boye Mafe ...................... 52.5%
Derick Hall ...................... 31.8%
Darrell Taylor ................... 26.1%
Tyreke Smith ..................... 2.1%

If he is going to see a second contract, this is an important year for Darrell Taylor. Understudy Tyreke Smith is working on catching up from his injury delayed 1st year. So, I would think coaches have Taylor's ear with regards to the need for improvement in setting the edge ..............

............................................. courtesy of Over-The-Cap an essential fan source >>> https://overthecap.com/snap-count-history

knownone

Reaction score
Burns takes us firmly from playoff contender to legitimate Super Bowl contender, but it would be very expensive. You're probably looking at a first rounder and change as a starting point, and I doubt they take guys like Noah Fant and Michael Jackson as filler.
Even then, Burns's contract makes him damn near cost prohibitive. We'd have to create space and give up significant draft capital for a rental. If we go the trade route, it's probably for someone like Chase Young—high upside, relatively cheap contract, with significant injury concerns driving down his trade value.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Snap count percentages of players mentioned in this thread ..............

Uchenna Nwosu .............. 67.2%
Boye Mafe ...................... 52.5%
Derick Hall ...................... 31.8%
Darrell Taylor ................... 26.1%
Tyreke Smith ..................... 2.1%

If he is going to see a second contract, this is an important year for Darrell Taylor. Understudy Tyreke Smith is working on catching up from his injury delayed 1st year. So, I would think coaches have Taylor's ear with regards to the need for improvement in setting the edge ..............

View attachment 61383

............................................. courtesy of Over-The-Cap an essential fan source >>> https://overthecap.com/snap-count-history

Thanks for those numbers. I definitely think everyone else will get extra snaps with Nwosu out. Hopefully they can make the most of them and keep up the pressure. It'll be a tough row to hoe though. Nwosu has been a beast for us.

Rat

Reaction score
Patriots just cut Trey Flowers (not the one some of us still have nightmares about). Might be worth a look as a veteran presence.

sutz

Reaction score
Patriots just cut Trey Flowers (not the one some of us still have nightmares about). Might be worth a look as a veteran presence.

Coming off of PUP. Is he really ready to hit the field?

Rat

Reaction score

Coming off of PUP. Is he really ready to hit the field?
He hasn't played more than seven games in a season since 2019, but if we're comfortable with where he is medically, he's probably as good an option as we're going to find without making a trade. We at least have enough bodies where he wouldn't have to shoulder a significant part of the workload. Low risk, medium-ish reward. Can help keep the young guys fresh; perhaps has mentorship capabilities.

toffee

Reaction score
Does Brooks has the physical traits to play Edge (OLB or DE), at least part time? We do have Bush to fill in at MLB?

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I would love to spin the tires on Chase Young if he's available before the trade deadline. I know he has injury history but if we can rent the dude for the rest of the season where he is motivated to prove himself for a large contract as a FA at the end of the season, why not?

kidhawk

Reaction score
I would love to spin the tires on Chase Young if he's available before the trade deadline. I know he has injury history but if we can rent the dude for the rest of the season where he is motivated to prove himself for a large contract as a FA at the end of the season, why not?

I read that they are listening to offers but aren't actively seeking a trade, which I always read as we are going to try to get more than he's worth from someone who is desperate. Luckily we play one more game before the deadline so we can judge how desperate we might be then.

Rat

Reaction score
He's coming off a two-sack game (stupid Giants) and ranks in the top 10 in pass-rush win rate. As a Buckeye fan, I'd be thrilled to land him, but his trade value is heading the wrong way for us.

DJrmb

Reaction score
Frank Clark got released from the Broncos on the 14th... Maybe he could provide some rotational depth?