Russ Trade Possibilities Thread.

Ambrose83

Reaction score
These posts are so stupid, yes let's trade the best qb we have ever had in franchise history, he's a first ballot HOF player and if you don't see that I can't help you. Watson is talented no doubt, so talented his team lost a 24 pt lead in the playoffs.

Wilson is at his floor top 5, and at his ceiling as good as any in the league, his numbers are fantastic and that's playing in a conservative offense his entire career. Covid has messed some of you up, get out of the house, get some therapy, exercise, something.

This isn't Madden, this is reality and reality is, crappy 2nd half aside Wilson is a elite level QB. I totally don't want to lose him, he's our first legit franchise QB, and btw 1976, that's 45 years for the math challenged here, you guys bitch about 12-4, lets get rid of Wilson and go back into qb purgatory and see how you guys enjoy that..... Unreal.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Ambrose83":3jfu1x5i said:
These posts are so stupid, yes let's trade the best qb we have ever had in franchise history, he's a first ballot HOF player and if you don't see that I can't help you. Watson is talented no doubt, so talented his team lost a 24 pt lead in the playoffs.

Wilson is at his floor top 5, and at his ceiling as good as any in the league, his numbers are fantastic and that's playing in a conservative offense his entire career. Covid has messed some of you up, get out of the house, get some therapy, exercise, something.

This isn't Madden, this is reality and reality is, crappy 2nd half aside Wilson is a elite level QB. I totally don't want to lose him, he's our first legit franchise QB, and btw 1976, that's 45 years for the math challenged here, you guys b!@ch about 12-4, lets get rid of Wilson and go back into qb purgatory and see how you guys enjoy that..... Unreal.
Wilson is not a first ballot HOFer as it stands, end of story. Secondly, Watson has been extremely consistent over his career and is younger than Wilson is. You get more potential years of productivity out of a Watson without sacrificing much, if anything in productivity. If the Texans offered Watson for Wilson you'd be dumb not to take that offer, if nothing else due to age and lack of wear and tear.

As far as blowing leads, Wilson has had some stinkers in the playoffs as well. I like Wilson, but if I was offered Watson, I'd pull that trigger immediately. Watson wouldn't lead to QB purgatory.

Now as far as Wilson goes, there are two camps. The Carroll ride or die folks, or people that support Wilson. It's also worth mentioning that if things don't change we may have no choice but to trade him. Wilson isn't satisfied with the state of things on the Seahawks. If Carroll continues to go about business as usual, Wilson could very well force his way out of Seattle.

knownone

Reaction score
I would only trade Wilson for Watson if I had no other viable options. Watson is overrated IMO. Don't get me wrong, he's a good QB. But he's a solid tier below Wilson.

Josh Allen and Mahomes are the only QB's I'd trade Russ for straight up. Allen is a goober, but he has the highest ceiling of any QB I've ever seen.

jeremiah

Reaction score
Hawks2022":3uwz8kwf said:
"Sale it while it runs"

Russ has been ran over from the day he got here. Anyone's body would be breaking down by now. I think the intence fan/Front office can see that he is slowing down and slowing down fast! Everyone else in the country sees the mad TDs he is putting up.

The time to move on Russ is now!! Should we wait a year and 2 injuries later, let his feet dragging be exposed and get a 3rd rounder for him next year because no one wants an old QB at a MVP price tag?

Watson? Sure. A younger version of Russ. But I would prefer some major draft capital!

I agree. RW is on a very similar arc as an All Pro QB from the Eagles, who had a trajectory that went up and up and up, until it went crash. He is done, because he cannot be himself without the wheels.

jeremiah

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":1sxtst74 said:
Yes, in a heartbeat. First off, Russell Wilson is not a HOFer QB as it sits now. If his career trajectory continues he is in the hall of the very good, not hall of fame. I think Wilson knows that, it's why he keeps using the legacy word.

Yes, he does have a Super Bowl victory, but he is just a footnote in that win. The legion of boom is what the people think about when they hear "Seahawks Super Bowl". Many people just saw Wilson as just being along for the ride. In 2014 he made a Super Bowl, but the narrative is "they should've ran it" and Marshawn Lynch is seen as the hero, while Wilson, along with Carroll was seen more as the main factors that contributed to the Seahawks loss. Without Marshawn and the legion of Boom the Seahawks have one playoff win in four years.

So, while Wilson has postseason success, it has a giant asterisk next to it due to the LOB, and his role during those years. When given the chance people see Wilson as the choke artist that blew it. Since the departure of Thomas, Sherman, and Chancellor, the Seahawks only have a single playoff win to their name.

While Wilson is very good, he doesn't have a single first or second team all-pro or MVP to his name. His team has been mediocre, and he's been wildly inconsistent in the second half of the seasons. His career to date is a story of almosts. He almost beat teams in the playoffs, he almost won two Super Bowls, he almost won the MVP, but he came short in every endeavor. A lot of this is Pete Carroll's fault, but none the less, that is the narrative as it sits. In an era filled with gaudy passing numbers, I don't think his current body of work would get him in.

Now onto the pressing matter, yes -- I would straight up swap Wilson for Watson right now and not think twice about it. I think not saying yes to that trade would be foolish. DeShaun Watson is only 25, Wilson is 32, despite that his 2020 campaign is on par with anything Wilson's done in his career. A 70 percent completion rating, close to 5,000 yards, 33 TDs and 7 INTs. That is better than all but one year of Wilson's, and he has a worse supporting cast in just about every way. He can do the same things as Wilson, and he has a very similar skillset, extremely good deep ball, and he's also really good at short, timing routes. Watson is one of the only QB's, like Wilson that could thrive in Pete Carroll's antiquated system. They're very similar in skill levels, only one is 7 years younger.

And not 5 feet 9 3/4s

JGreen79

Reaction score
I highly doubt Russ will want to go anywhere that will provide a top pick this year. Most if not every team he would agree to either can't afford him, or will not have the compensation Seattle would accept.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Bobblehead":2mvtk00d said:
Here's an idea.. how about a straght up trade with Texas.. here's the breakdown, Texas gets Russ.. Seattle Gets Watson..
Kinda simple.
No, it is not simple. Wilson has a no trade clause in his contract, meaning he gets to decide where he wants to go. You think anyone wants to go to the Houston Texans?

I think the Colts and Raiders are the most likely teams to be able to pull a trade like this off. That being said, a trade isn't going to happen this season. Wilson will play out the season, and I expect that if nothing changes he'll force his way out of Seattle in 2022.

AgentDib

Reaction score
chris98251":1f5o4z4e said:
Two things, this is not the year to Draft College talent, too many have set out, too many programs changed schedules to just get on the field and against subpar talent for their divisions of rank. Not a lot of scouting, not a lot of interviews.... the crap shoot for the draft became almost a blind crapshoot.
I agree that those factors are a major deal this year but I have a different takeaway. If the draft is more random than normal that increases the chance of good players falling later. So it's a terrible draft to have first round picks in, but late round picks are better than ever.

If most teams feel that way it's going to be difficult to trade down, but UDFA should be a better than average source of finding diamonds in the rough. Getting contributions from a handful of late picks/UDFAs could be a significant source of cap savings next year.

As a result, this is the year to have more rookies in camp than usual and really push the quantity leads to quality concept as far as it will go.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
Yes i don't think Wilson is signing another contract here. I'll admit however i have no idea What Watson's contract status is . If he's not locked up for at minimum the next two years i would not make that trade. Seattle is really in a tough position because of two really bad decisions. Trading two first round picks for Adams and extending Pete for 5 more years. A three year deal would have made far more sense.

The Adams trade was made out of desperation and it was a bad trade. It was my understanding when the trade was made that Adams could do everything as it turned out he can't cover well. They gave up way to much for a one dimensional Safety. So going into next year i don't see this team really improving at all and if Carson leaves well we could miss the playoffs and run the risk of this entire thing imploding. Even if they can retain Carson this division is going to be very tough to win . Arizona is getting better SF is still SF and the Rams now have Stafford i'm skeptical he can stay healthy in this division though.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
After thinking about this for a few days i think if the jets were to give us four first round picks or 3 firsts and a second you have to seriously consider it. In fact i think i would make that trade .Seattle has done very little with Wilson in the Playoffs since the Super Bowl. I don't see that changing you will never get more for him then right now. There's pitfalls for sure but if they drafted right it could revitalize this entire organization.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Again, no trade clause. He would have to approve it. Why in the world would he want to play for the Jets? Other than the media hype. That team is a long way from being a playoff contender.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1m5v090i said:
Again, no trade clause. He would have to approve it. Why in the world would he want to play for the Jets? Other than the media hype. That team is a long way from being a playoff contender.

We all know that this is just speculation and idle chat. Realistically he's not going anywhere .

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I hear ya. Shoot, it gives us something to talk about. Even if there are 798 threads about Russ, mostly negative and why I have cut WAY back on even posting on here.
It just isn't worth it. Same old same old, every day.

flv

Reaction score
Much is made of the $39M in dead money that is on the Seahawaks books with Wilson's name next to it. The true situation is that $13M of that total will be accounted for by the Seahawks in 2021, come what may. That $13M is already in all the projections and calculations. If Wilson is traded the additional $26M would accelerate into the 2021 cap calculations but Wilson's $19M salary for 2021 would move to the acquiring team. It would be a net $7M loss in 2021 but a $13M gain in each of 2022 and 2023. Its doable without the cap pain that fans believe is inevitable. The much bigger problems would be getting fair value for Wilson in a trade and finding a quality alternative at the QB position. I don't see the Seahawks moving on from Wilson, and I don't think they should.

Fade

Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":qe5bjmd2 said:
After thinking about this for a few days i think if the jets were to give us four first round picks or 3 firsts and a second you have to seriously consider it. In fact i think i would make that trade .Seattle has done very little with Wilson in the Playoffs since the Super Bowl. I don't see that changing you will never get more for him then right now. There's pitfalls for sure but if they drafted right it could revitalize this entire organization.

Wait until you see how much Pete does without Wilson if he ever gets that chance. Trading Wilson isn't the answer. Building him a top level O-Line, and letting the OC run the show on offense in concert with Russ is.

FresnoHawk52

Reaction score
JGreen79":zvtdbfzs said:
I highly doubt Russ will want to go anywhere that will provide a top pick this year. Most if not every team he would agree to either can't afford him, or will not have the compensation Seattle would accept.

Then RW should keep his mouth shut or redo his contract!

FresnoHawk52

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1hnom378 said:

RW is already playing for the best organization in the league! He should go to the Jets because they’re just as good as anyone else, besides the CAA crew want RW in NY, so adios Seattle & Hello NY. The NY & FL elites are probably fighting over RW right now when the results come in CAA will be notified and instruct Sierra to tell Russ where to go.

FresnoHawk52

Reaction score
Fade":2ydy1h1s said:
Northwest Seahawk":2ydy1h1s said:

Wait until you see how much Pete does without Wilson if he ever gets that chance. Trading Wilson isn't the answer. Building him a top level O-Line, and letting the OC run the show on offense in concert with Russ is.

I think trading RW is the answer! Russ throws interceptions & his Houdini run tricks don’t work anymore! Everybody says he’s a HOF I have no clue why? But I’ll go with it if it gets us our new Franchise Rookie QB and draft picks.

chris98251

Reaction score
FresnoHawk68":2rzssgnz said:
SoulfishHawk":2rzssgnz said:

RW is already playing for the best organization in the league! He should go to the Jets because they’re just as good as anyone else, besides the CAA crew want RW in NY, so adios Seattle & Hello NY. The NY & FL elites are probably fighting over RW right now when the results come in CAA will be notified and instruct Sierra to tell Russ where to go.

It's Ciara..........

My Granddaughter is Sierra.

knownone

Reaction score
Fade":200s9fu0 said:
Northwest Seahawk":200s9fu0 said:

Are you sure? Russell was the 10th and 8th in passing efficiency in our two Super Bowl seasons, and he averaged about 150 fewer throws than every other QB on the list.

I understand believing Russ gives Seattle the best chance of winning, and thus, building around and catering to him. However, I don't understand why you'd then also have to undervalue Pete's ability to coach. If Pete and JS moved on from Russ, I have zero doubt they'd build a viable contender within 2 seasons. Russ gives them the best chance of winning a SB, but he's not the sole reason they are competitive or have been competitive in the past.