Russ Trade Possibilities Thread.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
K.J WRIGHT":2d4ismnp said:
Straight up ? I would.
Yes, him or Mahomes are the only 2 I would.
Both because they have more tread left on the tire.

Won’t happen though as why would the Texans do it?

chris98251

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2gljw4e2 said:
K.J WRIGHT":2gljw4e2 said:
Straight up ? I would.
Yes, him or Mahomes are the only 2 I would.
Both because they have more tread left on the tire.

Won’t happen though as why would the Texans do it?

Russell would have to approve, I am betting having Duane Brown as his blind side protector he has heard a lot about Houston and the Texans. I doubt this ever happens.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
At first, I want to say yes. Watson is much younger with similar talent. But then I ask myself, "Will Watson be a Hall of Famer some day?" Honestly, I can't answer that. What I can answer is that Russell already has cemented his place in Canton. So you are risking trading a sure fire Hall of Fame QB who likely has another 8-10 years left and all those stats and memories would entail, for a talented, younger QB that may never reach Russ' achievements when all is said and done.

If Russ was 38 it's a no-brainer. But he's 32. These days that's still young for a QB and in his prime.

A gun to my head? I would say no. But that comes with the caveat that Russ remains healthy and team chemistry is restored.

Forthewin

Reaction score
"Sale it while it runs"

Russ has been ran over from the day he got here. Anyone's body would be breaking down by now. I think the intence fan/Front office can see that he is slowing down and slowing down fast! Everyone else in the country sees the mad TDs he is putting up.

The time to move on Russ is now!! Should we wait a year and 2 injuries later, let his feet dragging be exposed and get a 3rd rounder for him next year because no one wants an old QB at a MVP price tag?

Watson? Sure. A younger version of Russ. But I would prefer some major draft capital!

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Yes, in a heartbeat. First off, Russell Wilson is not a HOFer QB as it sits now. If his career trajectory continues he is in the hall of the very good, not hall of fame. I think Wilson knows that, it's why he keeps using the legacy word.

Yes, he does have a Super Bowl victory, but he is just a footnote in that win. The legion of boom is what the people think about when they hear "Seahawks Super Bowl". Many people just saw Wilson as just being along for the ride. In 2014 he made a Super Bowl, but the narrative is "they should've ran it" and Marshawn Lynch is seen as the hero, while Wilson, along with Carroll was seen more as the main factors that contributed to the Seahawks loss. Without Marshawn and the legion of Boom the Seahawks have one playoff win in four years.

So, while Wilson has postseason success, it has a giant asterisk next to it due to the LOB, and his role during those years. When given the chance people see Wilson as the choke artist that blew it. Since the departure of Thomas, Sherman, and Chancellor, the Seahawks only have a single playoff win to their name.

While Wilson is very good, he doesn't have a single first or second team all-pro or MVP to his name. His team has been mediocre, and he's been wildly inconsistent in the second half of the seasons. His career to date is a story of almosts. He almost beat teams in the playoffs, he almost won two Super Bowls, he almost won the MVP, but he came short in every endeavor. A lot of this is Pete Carroll's fault, but none the less, that is the narrative as it sits. In an era filled with gaudy passing numbers, I don't think his current body of work would get him in.

Now onto the pressing matter, yes -- I would straight up swap Wilson for Watson right now and not think twice about it. I think not saying yes to that trade would be foolish. DeShaun Watson is only 25, Wilson is 32, despite that his 2020 campaign is on par with anything Wilson's done in his career. A 70 percent completion rating, close to 5,000 yards, 33 TDs and 7 INTs. That is better than all but one year of Wilson's, and he has a worse supporting cast in just about every way. He can do the same things as Wilson, and he has a very similar skillset, extremely good deep ball, and he's also really good at short, timing routes. Watson is one of the only QB's, like Wilson that could thrive in Pete Carroll's antiquated system. They're very similar in skill levels, only one is 7 years younger.

getnasty

Reaction score
Yes and so would Pete and John. Not gonna happen but Watson, Josh Allen, Mahomes are probably the only 3 i'm trding for Russ start up.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
Yes.

Watson, Allen, Herbert, Mayfield, Lawrence, Zach Wilson and Burrows. Age, contract, potential, leadership abilities etc.

FresnoHawk52

Reaction score
No! Watson hasn’t done anything yet and he will do the same thing to Seattle he’s doing to Houston!

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
The team surrounding a QB determines his "legacy". Wilson knows that and Watson's result bear it out as well. Had Watson been in Seattle he would have enjoyed greater success than has been afforded by Houston. The fact that Houston has been a factor is a great testament to Watson's potential. IMO the top 3 QBs in the marketable league are Mahomes, Watson, and Wilson (alphabetical listing).

KinesProf

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":2japs4bu said:
Yes.

Watson, Allen, Herbert, Mayfield, Lawrence, Zach Wilson and Burrows. Age, contract, potential, leadership abilities etc.

I'd take out Mayfield and Zach Wilson from that group, and add Mahomes. Otherwise, I agree.

W

Welshers

Spin Doctor":2a23tyqf said:
Yes, in a heartbeat. First off, Russell Wilson is not a HOFer QB as it sits now. If his career trajectory continues he is in the hall of the very good, not hall of fame. I think Wilson knows that, it's why he keeps using the legacy word.

Yes, he does have a Super Bowl victory, but he is just a footnote in that win. The legion of boom is what the people think about when they hear "Seahawks Super Bowl". Many people just saw Wilson as just being along for the ride. In 2014 he made a Super Bowl, but the narrative is "they should've ran it" and Marshawn Lynch is seen as the hero, while Wilson, along with Carroll was seen more as the main factors that contributed to the Seahawks loss. Without Marshawn and the legion of Boom the Seahawks have one playoff win in four years.

So, while Wilson has postseason success, it has a giant asterisk next to it due to the LOB, and his role during those years. When given the chance people see Wilson as the choke artist that blew it. Since the departure of Thomas, Sherman, and Chancellor, the Seahawks only have a single playoff win to their name.

While Wilson is very good, he doesn't have a single first or second team all-pro or MVP to his name. His team has been mediocre, and he's been wildly inconsistent in the second half of the seasons. His career to date is a story of almosts. He almost beat teams in the playoffs, he almost won two Super Bowls, he almost won the MVP, but he came short in every endeavor. A lot of this is Pete Carroll's fault, but none the less, that is the narrative as it sits. In an era filled with gaudy passing numbers, I don't think his current body of work would get him in.

Now onto the pressing matter, yes -- I would straight up swap Wilson for Watson right now and not think twice about it. I think not saying yes to that trade would be foolish. DeShaun Watson is only 25, Wilson is 32, despite that his 2020 campaign is on par with anything Wilson's done in his career. A 70 percent completion rating, close to 5,000 yards, 33 TDs and 7 INTs. That is better than all but one year of Wilson's, and he has a worse supporting cast in just about every way. He can do the same things as Wilson, and he has a very similar skillset, extremely good deep ball, and he's also really good at short, timing routes. Watson is one of the only QB's, like Wilson that could thrive in Pete Carroll's antiquated system. They're very similar in skill levels, only one is 7 years younger.
Russel Wilson would go to the Hall of Fame if he retired today.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Here's an idea.. how about a straght up trade with Texas.. here's the breakdown, Texas gets Russ.. Seattle Gets Watson..
Kinda simple.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Welshers":1naevxhh said:
Spin Doctor":1naevxhh said:

Russel Wilson would go to the Hall of Fame if he retired today.
He absolutely would not go into the HOF. The HOF is all about narratives and story lines. Shaun Alexander has HOF numbers but has yet to make it into the HOF. Why? The narrative surrounding him. Wilson sans the LOB has an extremely poor post season success, and he’s largely been seen as piggie backing off their success in the first SuperBowl, and costing them a second. A lot of that is due to Carroll but people won’t see it that way.

TraderGary

Reaction score
KinesProf":22xuyion said:
JayhawkMike":22xuyion said:
Yes.

I'd take out Mayfield and Zach Wilson from that group, and add Mahomes. Otherwise, I agree.
:ditto:

xray

Reaction score
Fans can be so fickle .Wilson was once god . LOL