2014 Summer Transfer Window

Uncle Si

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":360qsaeo said:
Alex Song is exactly what United need. A rottweiler in the middle of the park. A guy that can win tackles, break up opposing attack moves, dictate pace, hold the ball up and pass the ball well. As I said though, there's just no way he goes to a team that's not in the CL.

Si, Herrera doesn't look like much to me. For 30 mil, you'd expect a bit more, IMO.

I agree on both players. But Herrera was purchased to what you describe Song doing.

United aren't City...and I don't think many United fans have grasped the gravity of their situation. Without CL footie they need to get their decisions right or it could be a spiral.

Smurf

Reaction score
Need Song to split time with Herrera. Neither player can play every match and there isn't a suitable replacement at CDM.

Need both to compete.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Smurf":21c534dq said:
Need Song to split time with Herrera. Neither player can play every match and there isn't a suitable replacement at CDM.

Need both to compete.

Fellaini....

This is the hole you're in

Smurf

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1f4ufmzt said:
Smurf":1f4ufmzt said:

Need both to compete.

Fellaini....

Fellaini needs to be sold. Poor buy in the first place.

Nog

Reaction score
Alex Song is just an overrated player. Nothing less nothing more. The fact he did play for Barcelona doesn't mean much.

He is a total garbage. Just watch his games with his national team.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Smurf":1p09i8s7 said:
Uncle Si":1p09i8s7 said:
Smurf":1p09i8s7 said:

Need both to compete.

Fellaini....

Right, so you have to sell bad players (make a list... trust me its fun... like root canals are fun). then make a list of older players on massive wages (like changing a tire a snow storm) and finally find clubs willing to take these players on (sifting through match.com's "Bigger ladies" section for a Friday night).

then.. then...try and convince CL level players that your club is worth playing for despite not being in the competition.

and pretend simply that your owners have not turned the financials at your favorite club to something from an 8th grade accounting class... or simply taken the money to fund a mediocre football team

Suarez and Rodgers saved Liverpool... saved us from losing Torres. Saved us from Downing, Carrol, Adam, flipping Roy Hodgson, Hicks/Gillette, etc.

Who is saving United? Serious question.. LvG? Rooney? RvP? its a thin list, no?

Not trying to wind you up. I mean its not impossible. United has class players. but more is needed, and thats tough when Nani is still on your books, Fellaini is still on your squad, your midfield lost out to Jonjho f--ing red card 20 minutes into a match at old trafford after i woke up at 530 am, drove to the bar, paid for parking, bought a Surly and just got setted Shelvey (a--hole still owes me for the parking) and your best goal scorers are prepping a golf outing to celebrate their 30th

Nog

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":yi18i1n8 said:
According to Sky Sports News this morning, Louis Van Beavis says he's not interested in signing Di Maria, as he feels it will stunt the growth and development of Adnan Januzaj. Probably pretty smart for a lot of reasons, but most of all this makes more financial sense for United going forward. If they accept no CL football for the next couple of seasons and look to build through youth prospects and sign promising youngsters from other teams, then they'll reach a point where they can make a couple of moves for big names, and you don't want to already have a ton of cash sunk into one player on ridiculous wages prohibiting you from either rewarding and keeping your young talent, or from signing the players to put you over the top.
Hummmmm

Di Maria is heading to United my friend. He is not on Real roster for the SuperCup. According to Spanish reports, Madrid is finalizing the deal with United.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Just so we are clear on the media (and more importantly, the "Spanish" media)

ESPNFC's Transfer Talk "Top Pick" this morning:

Barcelona are going to make a sensational move to sign Real Madrid wantaway Angel Di Maria. Sport claim Florentino Perez will not enter negotiations with Barca but the Catalan giants are willing to make a 60 million euro offer to tempt their arch-rivals into a deal. The Argentina has been left out of Los Blancos Supercopa squad for tonight fueling speculation he is about to join Manchester United or PSG.

Only thing less journalistic than sports media is Twitter (in general, all Twitter, but specifically Twitter "media" who are really just teenagers who are smart enough to bring traffic to websites for clicks$cash)

Smurf

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3nkk3k6m said:
Smurf":3nkk3k6m said:
Uncle Si":3nkk3k6m said:
Smurf":3nkk3k6m said:

Need both to compete.

Fellaini....

Right, so you have to sell bad players (make a list... trust me its fun... like root canals are fun). then make a list of older players on massive wages (like changing a tire a snow storm) and finally find clubs willing to take these players on (sifting through match.com's "Bigger ladies" section for a Friday night).

then.. then...try and convince CL level players that your club is worth playing for despite not being in the competition.

and pretend simply that your owners have not turned the financials at your favorite club to something from an 8th grade accounting class... or simply taken the money to fund a mediocre football team

Suarez and Rodgers saved Liverpool... saved us from losing Torres. Saved us from Downing, Carrol, Adam, flipping Roy Hodgson, Hicks/Gillette, etc.

Who is saving United? Serious question.. LvG? Rooney? RvP? its a thin list, no?

Not trying to wind you up. I mean its not impossible. United has class players. but more is needed, and thats tough when Nani is still on your books, Fellaini is still on your squad, your midfield lost out to Jonjho f--ing red card 20 minutes into a match at old trafford after i woke up at 530 am, drove to the bar, paid for parking, bought a Surly and just got setted Shelvey (a--hole still owes me for the parking) and your best goal scorers are prepping a golf outing to celebrate their 30th
Ill make the lists when I get home from work, and ill like doing it.

Ill will be the one to save united. I am the all powerful smurf.

Also, King Kenny saved Liverpool. Ill make that argument everyday until the end of the world.

Nog: Song is good at what he does. Period. Don't care what you think he is with his national team. With Barca and arsenal he has been a player who plays his role better.

Di Maria: won't be playing at Madrid this season. That's just about fact. United, Barca or PSG...who knows. He would fit with united.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
King Kenny's 7th place finishes? Andy Carroll and Stewart Downing and Charlie Adam purchases? I dont want to slate him. he brought in Suarez. He held the line. He saved us from Roy Hodgson. Great player, one of the best. Club legend. His managerial tenures will always be subject to debate however.

FSG, Suarez and Rodgers saved Liverpool.

Nog

Reaction score
Smurf":17nv3bb9 said:
Nog: Song is good at what he does. Period. Don't care what you think he is with his national team. With Barca and arsenal he has been a player who plays his role better.
Oh! Let's talk about his role with Barca then. I just have seen inanity, nothing, nada!!!! Well, you can claim that he was a sub, but anytime he step up on the field that was awful to see.

Btw, don't underestimate national teams level. That's really a good revealing for players.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Nog":1bzmm35s said:
Smurf":1bzmm35s said:
Oh! Let's talk about his role with Barca then. I just have seen inanity, nothing, nada!!!! Well, you can claim that he was a sub, but anytime he step up on the field that was awful to see.

Btw, don't underestimate national teams level. That's really a good revealing for players.

Bit harsh Nog... Songs been useful. But i agree, there was a reason Wenger was fine letting Song go.

As for the national teams usefulness, I'd say it goes both ways. Some fine players who are quite comfortable in their club set ups get a bit lost with the national team, while others who are rarely considered for top level clubs come alive.

Many reasons for it, and still more examples. Depends on the player really

Smurf

Reaction score
Uncle Si":37gljv8d said:
Nog":37gljv8d said:
Smurf":37gljv8d said:

Bit harsh Nog... Songs been useful. But i agree, there was a reason Wenger was fine letting Song go.

As for the national teams usefulness, I'd say it goes both ways. Some fine players who are quite comfortable in their club set ups get a bit lost with the national team, while others who are rarely considered for top level clubs come alive.

Agreed. I'd put song in the list of players misrepresented by their national team duty.

Smurf

Reaction score
Uncle Si":rkjso3l3 said:
King Kenny's 7th place finishes? Andy Carroll and Stewart Downing and Charlie Adam purchases? I dont want to slate him. he brought in Suarez. He held the line. He saved us from Roy Hodgson. Great player, one of the best. Club legend. His managerial tenures will always be subject to debate however.

Kenny Daglish brought in Luis Suarez, Jordan Henderson, Coates, and Jose Enrique. i'd call all of those players successful signings...obviously the first two are more important, with the first being a god like signing.

He also brought in Craig Bellamy, who IMO is an incredible player, on a free. I love that player to death. I don't know why, but I love him.

He spent a little over 40Million pounds and got the core of the Liverpool overhaul underway.

He jettisoned dead weight players and did brilliantly to get 50 Million for Torres. Ayala, Insua, Meireles, NGog, Babel...all gone.

He bought quality.

I'll give you the Downing signing as a bad one. Awful signing.

But Carroll and Adam weren't all that bad. Carroll was never utilized properly in the role that type of striker needs...and thats was system problem. Kenny bought him to be something he's not...and that happens. Happens with great managers and great players all the time. System fit matters...didn't work here.

Adam was a flavor of the month signing. Everyone wanted Adam cause was fantastic the season before...and Kenny got him for just under 8. Solid business. The players form dropped. It happens. Not an awful signing. Not great.

More than just players, Kenny reestablished what it meant to be a Liverpool player. He brought the clubs history into the present and made the players understand. Kenny set the tone of what was lost under the previous managers.

He saved Liverpool from just being another big club trying to win a trophy with this player and that player. He made it Liverpool again.

YNWA.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Smurf":3qofwj1f said:
Uncle Si":3qofwj1f said:

Kenny Daglish brought in Luis Suarez, Jordan Henderson, Coates, and Jose Enrique. i'd call all of those players successful signings...obviously the first two are more important, with the first being a god like signing.

He also brought in Craig Bellamy, who IMO is an incredible player, on a free. I love that player to death. I don't know why, but I love him.

He spent a little over 40Million pounds and got the core of the Liverpool overhaul underway.

He jettisoned dead weight players and did brilliantly to get 50 Million for Torres. Ayala, Insua, Meireles, NGog, Babel...all gone.

He bought quality.

But Carroll and Adam weren't all that bad. Carroll was never utilized properly in the role that type of striker needs...and thats was system problem. Kenny bought him to be something he's not...and that happens. Happens with great managers and great players all the time. System fit matters...didn't work here.

Adam was a flavor of the month signing. Everyone wanted Adam cause was fantastic the season before...and Kenny got him for just under 8. Solid business. The players form dropped. It happens. Not an awful signing. Not great.

More than just players, Kenny reestablished what it meant to be a Liverpool player. He brought the clubs history into the present and made the players understand. Kenny set the tone of what was lost under the previous managers.

He saved Liverpool from just being another big club trying to win a trophy with this player and that player. He made it Liverpool again.

YNWA.

im not going to argue with any of that

Smurf

Reaction score
Smurfs Manchester United plan:

Sell list:
Marouane Fellaini - Send him off. Rumor was he was headed to Napoli. Take the loss.
Anderson - Sell him for what you can get. Never the player he was signed to be. The profit loss this late in the game doesn't matter. He'd be a fit back in Portugal.

Javier Hernandez - He's done well, but not necessary at this point. He's an overflow. Take the money for him. He would fit on just about any top 8 team in Italy.

Robin Van Persie - Sell him to the highest bidder. That shouldn't be hard.

Incoming:
Pay for Di Maria or don't. Plan works with him, or without him.

Song/Khedira - Buy one of them. Need that midfield depth...especially a holding player. I fancy Khedira more, but will cost more.

Defenders. Buy 2 CB's, and a RB. We lost out on Vermalaen (because Champions league, happy assholes?) and we need some youth there. I like Vlaar. Shawcross would be OK too. at RB I'd get Kyle Walker if possible.

Key here is to not break the bank on any single player (Shaw). I honestly don't know a bunch about younger players on the defensive side of the ball, so I'm sure there are better, and cheaper names I am missing. The key is a mix of Youth and Experience...which aside from Vlaar those three offer. Granted, none are world beaters but for now they get the job done.

The Tactics:

Keep your 5 in the back LVG....I'm ok with that. I like it. I love wingbacks. Player group also works in a 4231, 433 or 442.

--------------------De Gea-------------------------

----------Rojo-------Shawcross ----Jones--------
Walker--------------------------------------Shaw

---------------------Khedira--Herrera--------------
Di Maria ----------------------------------Mata
-----------------Rooney---------------------------

Mata and Di Maria have license to come inside as in the attack both Shaw and Walker will press up. As far as depth, each position is decent, not great, but good enough to compete, IMO.

Obviously Welbeck spells Rooney, with Wilson, Keane and Lawrence to be role players.

At outside mid Valencia is the first choice, followed by Januzaj, Kagawa, and Young.

At CM there is experience behind the first two: Carrick, Fletcher, Cleverley.

At RB: Rafael, Valencia, and Young
At CB: Vlaar, Evans, Smalling
At LB: If Shaw can't play, you go 4 in the back. Period. Shawcross out, Rafael on. Walker goes left.

Squad isn't super deep, league games take precedence over any other competition. Youngsters contributing is key.

Keep spending on young talent.

Nog

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3w02iolx said:

National teams prove that players can play an intense level, and it goes the same way when I think about Champion's league matches. Yet, it is true that some players feel more confortable in their clubs; however, a top player (if that's really the case) must prove in the national team... That's the way how I see this.

In the case of Song, he never proves anything in clubs and neither his national team... That's quite the opposite IMO. It would not bring enough to improve a team like United.

Smurf

Reaction score
Uncle Si":j8klz41m said:
Smurf":j8klz41m said:
Uncle Si":j8klz41m said:

He bought quality.

YNWA.

im not going to argue with any of that

I'm not super dense all the time. ;)

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Smurf":3mjc3kt9 said:

Sell list:
Marouane Fellaini - Send him off. Rumor was he was headed to Napoli. Take the loss.
Anderson - Sell him for what you can get. Never the player he was signed to be. The profit loss this late in the game doesn't matter. He'd be a fit back in Portugal.

Javier Hernandez - He's done well, but not necessary at this point. He's an overflow. Take the money for him. He would fit on just about any top 8 team in Italy.

Incoming:

Song/Khedira - Buy one of them. Need that midfield depth...especially a holding player. I fancy Khedira more, but will cost more.

Defenders. Buy 2 CB's, and a RB. We lost out on Vermalaen (because Champions league, happy assholes?) and we need some youth there. I like Vlaar. Shawcross would be OK too. at RB I'd get Kyle Walker if possible.

Key here is to not break the bank on any single player (Shaw). I honestly don't know a bunch about younger players on the defensive side of the ball, so I'm sure there are better, and cheaper names I am missing. The key is a mix of Youth and Experience...which aside from Vlaar those three offer. Granted, none are world beaters but for now they get the job done.

The Tactics:

Keep your 5 in the back LVG....I'm ok with that. I like it. I love wingbacks. Player group also works in a 4231, 433 or 442.

Mata and Di Maria have license to come inside as in the attack both Shaw and Walker will press up. As far as depth, each position is decent, not great, but good enough to compete, IMO.

Obviously Welbeck spells Rooney, with Wilson, Keane and Lawrence to be role players.

At outside mid Valencia is the first choice, followed by Januzaj, Kagawa, and Young.

At LB: If Shaw can't play, you go 4 in the back. Period. Shawcross out, Rafael on. Walker goes left.

Squad isn't super deep, league games take precedence over any other competition. Youngsters contributing is key.

not bad (although the 352 is a ridiculous formation for the PL.. however, its 4 back hyrbid in a 4231 or 4123 essentially gives you the same thing with one striker who wont defend instead of two)

I'd say Mata and Kagawa have to be added to your list of sells. Life is hard. its means choices. if you're going to admit the mistake of Fellaini then you might as well go all in, and posibly welbeck. get the wages off the books.

its time to start scouring the dutch, spanish and german leagues for standout young players not on CL teams. Thats the best way to rebuild. 30 million on a 19 year old leftback doesnt solve an immediate problem. I love Luke Shaw, and when United are good again he will be a solid contributor, but you could have got two players for him.

United will need to get lucky with a player or two (like Suarez, Sturridge, Cou and Sterling).

Welcome to the draining sink... try not to get sucked down into the pipe

Smurf

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1g8ygwbg said:
Smurf":1g8ygwbg said:

Sell list:

Incoming:

The Tactics:

not bad (although the 352 is a ridiculous formation for the PL.. however, its 4 back hyrbid in a 4231 or 4123 essentially gives you the same thing with one striker who wont defend instead of two)

I'd say Mata and Kagawa have to be added to your list of sells. Life is hard. its means choices. if you're going to admit the mistake of Fellaini then you might as well go all in, and posibly welbeck. get the wages off the books.

its time to start scouring the dutch, spanish and german leagues for standout young players not on CL teams. Thats the best way to rebuild. 30 million on a 19 year old leftback doesnt solve an immediate problem. I love Luke Shaw, and when United are good again he will be a solid contributor, but you could have got two players for him.

United will need to get lucky with a player or two (like Suarez, Sturridge, Cou and Sterling).

Welcome to the draining sink... try not to get sucked down into the pipe

Mata I'll give you. Won't sell Kagawa or Welbeck.