2014 Summer Transfer Window

Smurf

Reaction score
I see what you're saying though.

It's a long road...but if we can both build the right way, and get a quick fix top 4 finish it will be easier. Have to balance it, has to be done just right.

Honestly I'm surprised you didn't give me shit for Shawcross and Vlaar....

Smurf

Reaction score
i6UqqRrwxo2OC.gif

Nog

Reaction score
I've been foreseeing Di Maria to United since the beginning of this saga.

Smurf

Reaction score
Podolski rumored to be on his way out at Arsenal...

His possible destination include both MLS based New York teams....

Nog

Reaction score
Di Maria is having his medical today: 80M€ + bonus

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Nog":2dvwqfri said:

absolutely shocking price...

I know they have to... but I really think this is on the wrong player. Di Maria is a standout CM/Wng (borderline world class at RM on occassion) but its not a pressing need for United at the moment. Is he going to play wingback? up top? tucked into the CMs?

He's got no place on that squad but to replace a constant player and doesnt solve any of the pace issues they have in the center of the field nor the shambles that is their back line.

Still, great player to have in the squad.

Hawkspur

Reaction score
Smurf":2ameans4 said:
Smurfs Manchester United plan:

Sell list:
Marouane Fellaini - Send him off. Rumor was he was headed to Napoli. Take the loss.
Anderson - Sell him for what you can get. Never the player he was signed to be. The profit loss this late in the game doesn't matter. He'd be a fit back in Portugal.

Javier Hernandez - He's done well, but not necessary at this point. He's an overflow. Take the money for him. He would fit on just about any top 8 team in Italy.

Robin Van Persie - Sell him to the highest bidder. That shouldn't be hard.

Incoming:
Pay for Di Maria or don't. Plan works with him, or without him.

Song/Khedira - Buy one of them. Need that midfield depth...especially a holding player. I fancy Khedira more, but will cost more.

Defenders. Buy 2 CB's, and a RB. We lost out on Vermalaen (because Champions league, happy assholes?) and we need some youth there. I like Vlaar. Shawcross would be OK too. at RB I'd get Kyle Walker if possible.

Key here is to not break the bank on any single player (Shaw). I honestly don't know a bunch about younger players on the defensive side of the ball, so I'm sure there are better, and cheaper names I am missing. The key is a mix of Youth and Experience...which aside from Vlaar those three offer. Granted, none are world beaters but for now they get the job done.

The Tactics:

Keep your 5 in the back LVG....I'm ok with that. I like it. I love wingbacks. Player group also works in a 4231, 433 or 442.

--------------------De Gea-------------------------

----------Rojo-------Shawcross ----Jones--------
Walker--------------------------------------Shaw

---------------------Khedira--Herrera--------------
Di Maria ----------------------------------Mata
-----------------Rooney---------------------------

Mata and Di Maria have license to come inside as in the attack both Shaw and Walker will press up. As far as depth, each position is decent, not great, but good enough to compete, IMO.

Obviously Welbeck spells Rooney, with Wilson, Keane and Lawrence to be role players.

At outside mid Valencia is the first choice, followed by Januzaj, Kagawa, and Young.

At CM there is experience behind the first two: Carrick, Fletcher, Cleverley.

At RB: Rafael, Valencia, and Young
At CB: Vlaar, Evans, Smalling
At LB: If Shaw can't play, you go 4 in the back. Period. Shawcross out, Rafael on. Walker goes left.

Squad isn't super deep, league games take precedence over any other competition. Youngsters contributing is key.

Keep spending on young talent.

Kyle Walker? Unless Spurs sign a better RB or United offer silly money there's next to no chance of that happening. Without Walker it is our weakest position by a distance. And we're without him because he's injured so the idea of a transfer this window is kind of moot anyway.

I'm not saying that he's irreplaceable, he was absolute crap 2 seasons ago, but when he's good he's way way better than anyone else we have. And with Pochettino's track record of getting the best out of players I'm sure he'd be loath to sell him without getting a chance to work with him first.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Smurf is under the belief that his hometown boy is going to push Walker out the door at Spurs.

by the way... that lineup even with Khedira and Di Maria is horrifically slow and predictable, with zero pace nor decision making anywhere in the central defending 5.

the 352 is going to be a distant memory for United soon, or their top 4 hopes will be

Nice little start by Spurs btw. couple wins, couple clean sheets, little fortunate in week one but here you are

Smurf

Reaction score
Hawkspur":6vyzfkrt said:
Smurf":6vyzfkrt said:
Smurfs Manchester United plan:

Sell list:
Marouane Fellaini - Send him off. Rumor was he was headed to Napoli. Take the loss.
Anderson - Sell him for what you can get. Never the player he was signed to be. The profit loss this late in the game doesn't matter. He'd be a fit back in Portugal.

Javier Hernandez - He's done well, but not necessary at this point. He's an overflow. Take the money for him. He would fit on just about any top 8 team in Italy.

Robin Van Persie - Sell him to the highest bidder. That shouldn't be hard.

Incoming:
Pay for Di Maria or don't. Plan works with him, or without him.

Song/Khedira - Buy one of them. Need that midfield depth...especially a holding player. I fancy Khedira more, but will cost more.

Defenders. Buy 2 CB's, and a RB. We lost out on Vermalaen (because Champions league, happy assholes?) and we need some youth there. I like Vlaar. Shawcross would be OK too. at RB I'd get Kyle Walker if possible.

Key here is to not break the bank on any single player (Shaw). I honestly don't know a bunch about younger players on the defensive side of the ball, so I'm sure there are better, and cheaper names I am missing. The key is a mix of Youth and Experience...which aside from Vlaar those three offer. Granted, none are world beaters but for now they get the job done.

The Tactics:

Keep your 5 in the back LVG....I'm ok with that. I like it. I love wingbacks. Player group also works in a 4231, 433 or 442.

--------------------De Gea-------------------------

----------Rojo-------Shawcross ----Jones--------
Walker--------------------------------------Shaw

---------------------Khedira--Herrera--------------
Di Maria ----------------------------------Mata
-----------------Rooney---------------------------

Mata and Di Maria have license to come inside as in the attack both Shaw and Walker will press up. As far as depth, each position is decent, not great, but good enough to compete, IMO.

Obviously Welbeck spells Rooney, with Wilson, Keane and Lawrence to be role players.

At outside mid Valencia is the first choice, followed by Januzaj, Kagawa, and Young.

At CM there is experience behind the first two: Carrick, Fletcher, Cleverley.

At RB: Rafael, Valencia, and Young
At CB: Vlaar, Evans, Smalling
At LB: If Shaw can't play, you go 4 in the back. Period. Shawcross out, Rafael on. Walker goes left.

Squad isn't super deep, league games take precedence over any other competition. Youngsters contributing is key.

Keep spending on young talent.

Kyle Walker? Unless Spurs sign a better RB or United offer silly money there's next to no chance of that happening. Without Walker it is our weakest position by a distance. And we're without him because he's injured so the idea of a transfer this window is kind of moot anyway.

I'm not saying that he's irreplaceable, he was absolute crap 2 seasons ago, but when he's good he's way way better than anyone else we have. And with Pochettino's track record of getting the best out of players I'm sure he'd be loath to sell him without getting a chance to work with him first.
Walker is surplus once Yedlin arrived. Little dude is going to beast all over the premiership.

Also, we would, could, and will play stupid money for the players we want. Example: Di Maria.

Nog

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1ka1xecv said:
Nog":1ka1xecv said:

absolutely shocking price...

I know they have to... but I really think this is on the wrong player. Di Maria is a standout CM/Wng (borderline world class at RM on occassion) but its not a pressing need for United at the moment. Is he going to play wingback? up top? tucked into the CMs?

He's got no place on that squad but to replace a constant player and doesnt solve any of the pace issues they have in the center of the field nor the shambles that is their back line.

Still, great player to have in the squad.
Agreed. That's overpaid.

But I place Di Maria as a top player or world class (call him whatever you want). The only problem is that United has other holes to fill up.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Man Utd need a full back and at least 2 center halfs just to have a chance at Europe. Not being in the Champions League means they need to overpay. Whether the owners splash the cash is a different issues.

Think Chelsea win the Premiership this year. City and Arsenal for second and third.

Think Spurs will start well and have their inevitable collapse in form.

I expect Liverpool and Southampton to have less successful years but think Liverpool make the Champions League.

Burnley and QPR certs to go down and probably Leicester.

Hawkspur

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3th299ow said:
Smurf is under the belief that his hometown boy is going to push Walker out the door at Spurs.

by the way... that lineup even with Khedira and Di Maria is horrifically slow and predictable, with zero pace nor decision making anywhere in the central defending 5.

the 352 is going to be a distant memory for United soon, or their top 4 hopes will be

Nice little start by Spurs btw. couple wins, couple clean sheets, little fortunate in week one but here you are

Yeah Si, really happy with the start. Although the opposition isn't the strongest we are going to face, the were local derbies and we'd also lost 3 on the trot to West Ham last season. We only scored 4 goals twice last season I think, and barely ever scored 3, and the style of play on Sunday was great to watch. Lamela looked all that he was supposed to be, Adebayor was great, Dier not only scored but played a pretty complete game. Rose has really stepped it up after a very ordinary 2013/14.

The real test will be against the top teams who generally speaking, destroyed us last season (Liverpool, City and Chelsea in particular).

I'm super excited for this season. Just got tickets for West Brom in a few weeks and will probably go to quite a few more after a season long drought last year.

And Smurf, It'd be fantastic if Yedlin can usurp Walker but I wouldn't expect it within the first year or two. As I said when he signed though, if Spurs are still in some cup competitions after January I think he'll get a lot of chances to play quite a bitget experience and prove what he's got. Likewise if Walker's injury lingers. Eric Dier has been great playing right back so far, although I think they want him as a CB rather than a fullback. I can see why so many Sporting Lisbon fans were coming to our forums to spit blood at their board for essentially giving away who they thought was their most promising player of the decade or so.

Smurf

Reaction score
Hawkspur":34j9ifht said:
Uncle Si":34j9ifht said:

Yeah Si, really happy with the start. Although the opposition isn't the strongest we are going to face, the were local derbies and we'd also lost 3 on the trot to West Ham last season. We only scored 4 goals twice last season I think, and barely ever scored 3, and the style of play on Sunday was great to watch. Lamela looked all that he was supposed to be, Adebayor was great, Dier not only scored but played a pretty complete game. Rose has really stepped it up after a very ordinary 2013/14.

The real test will be against the top teams who generally speaking, destroyed us last season (Liverpool, City and Chelsea in particular).

I'm super excited for this season. Just got tickets for West Brom in a few weeks and will probably go to quite a few more after a season long drought last year.

And Smurf, It'd be fantastic if Yedlin can usurp Walker but I wouldn't expect it within the first year or two. As I said when he signed though, if Spurs are still in some cup competitions after January I think he'll get a lot of chances to play quite a bitget experience and prove what he's got. Likewise if Walker's injury lingers. Eric Dier has been great playing right back so far, although I think they want him as a CB rather than a fullback. I can see why so many Sporting Lisbon fans were coming to our forums to spit blood at their board for essentially giving away who they thought was their most promising player of the decade or so.

Yedlin gets better every time he steps on the field. When we first signed him out of the academy he was projected to be our 3rd choice RB. Two weeks before the season we released out #1 cause Yedlin was blowing the socks off everyone. Kid has the goods, and learns quickly. 2 years ago he was playing college ball at Akron, and now he's the best RB in MLS.

Hawkspur

Reaction score
Smurf":1cta7247 said:
Hawkspur":1cta7247 said:
Uncle Si":1cta7247 said:

Yedlin gets better every time he steps on the field. When we first signed him out of the academy he was projected to be our 3rd choice RB. Two weeks before the season we released out #1 cause Yedlin was blowing the socks off everyone. Kid has the goods, and learns quickly. 2 years ago he was playing college ball at Akron, and now he's the best RB in MLS.

Fingers crossed! If he does pan out as you predict it looks as though Spurs are assembling a fairly cheap young defensive group that could be very good inside of a couple of years.

Nog

Reaction score
Btw, Swansea are into the sweepstakes with Marseille for Benjamin Stambouli. Remember this name coz this kid is just outstanding.

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
Hey wanna hear something hilarious?

Arsenal are linked with Falcao... but that's not the funny part. He's linked with us for a potential season-long loan! At least say it'd be a permanent move, that sounds a lot more believable.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Gatehawk":1ziad78p said:
Hey wanna hear something hilarious?

Arsenal are linked with Falcao... but that's not the funny part. He's linked with us for a potential season-long loan! At least say it'd be a permanent move, that sounds a lot more believable.

he's going to Madrid.... theyve been waiting for the Di Maria thing to play out. Liverpool were linked with the same thing and Falcao a few weeks ago and ended up with (are fortunate to have) Balo