Anyone else not fear the Falcons?

randomation

Reaction score
Not sure why you think Seattle won't score more than 13 we already played this year lest you forget. I'm not sure we can keep up without ET to lock down the D but I think that we will likely score more than 13. That said we have to beat the lions first. As to his one playoff win too bad Pete mindgamed himself the first kick missed after all.

FalconsFanNW

Reaction score
The 13 was just my sarcasm. No idea what Seattle will do. They could score 30... or they could score 6.

I'm not too much worried about Atlanta scoring 30...

edited for typo

pcbball12

Reaction score
FalconsFanNW":27fzxrrg said:
RussB":27fzxrrg said:
Newsflash:Matty Ice got iced by the LOB last time and probably would again. Your offense can be stopped, once that happens the rails fall off.

So come do it in our house. You better hold us to like 13 pts cuz I'm pretty sure Seattle won't score much more than that.

... and for the love of god get off the Matt Ryan is 1-4 in the playoffs train. We've been over this.

Loss to GB when the D couldn't force a punt all game
Loss to SF when the D blew a 17 pt lead. Ryan threw 3 TDs and 400 yards with a 115 QBR
Loss to Giants when shut down by the same D that beat Patriots
Loss by 6 points in a wild card game his rookie season

Can we at least talk about his 1 playoff win? Or does it sting too much?

@ the mod who PMed me

Thanks for the reassurance. I'm all for civilized debating and will gladly continue.
First, there is not a chance I am overlooking Detroit so I won't say WHEN we play. But, IF we happen to play in the divisional round I do not see how you can expect Seattle to score 13ish points. They average 22 PPG, and that is with some real stinkers. Atlanta gives up 25 PPG. So your 25th ranked defense (which is without Truant and Ishmael) is going to hold Seattle to around 13, in a dome? That is some pretty hopeful thinking.

Yes, we are without Earl this time around. But the last time we played we were without Chancellor, Clark, and Morgan. And Bennett left in the 3rd quarter for the remainder of the game. It is also a probability that we would get Prosise back for that game as well.

Atlanta is a great team this year, I have a ton of respect for your squad. However, if you think the game would be a lopsided win if it were to happen again you are mistaken. We will see if it plays out and we get the opportunity to make it happen so we can officially talk more shop and talk matchups and what not.

AustrianHawk

Reaction score
Statistically one of the worst passing defenses since Earl got injured vs. a offense that seems to have a big play at least once every drive (esp. trough the middle). Yup, I'm affraid.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
FalconsFanNW":3puu98sb said:
RussB":3puu98sb said:
Can we at least talk about his 1 playoff win? Or does it sting too much?

@ the mod who PMed me

Thanks for the reassurance. I'm all for civilized debating and will gladly continue.

Can we at least talk about your franchises absolute lack of success in the post-season in your entire history??

51 seasons: One conference championship, six division titles. 7-12 in the playoffs, all-time. The Seahawks have won more playoff games in the last 6 seasons than the Falcons in 51 years.

Does it sting too much we have a Lombardi and you don't? You guys had a chance in 2012 and you sh*t the bed vs SF in the NFCCG. What good did it do to beat us when you couldn't beat the 49ers? You had the same off-season as we had, not the Super Bowl Champs. Big difference is the next season, we won it while you watched us win it from your couch.

I'd advise you to not puff your chest out too much on this board. You guys have a damn good team and I have posted as much in this thread. If I were to put money down on the Super Bowl, I'd pick the Falcons. Seriously. This is probably your best chance, don't blow it! I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the Seahawks either, as other teams have learned we come up with some crazy mojo in the playoffs sometimes. If our A team shows up (like it did vs NE and CAR and a few others this season), you guys are going to have a dogfight on your hands.

But, chill the attitude ... you aren't on a Browns fan board. We have become an elite franchise and won a lot of games in the last six seasons. We have earned our place. You haven't earned jack squat yet.

:2thumbs:

FalconsFanNW

Reaction score
pcbball12":3dwr60if said:
First, there is not a chance I am overlooking Detroit so I won't say WHEN we play. But, IF we happen to play in the divisional round I do not see how you can expect Seattle to score 13ish points.

Atlanta is a great team this year, I have a ton of respect for your squad. However, if you think the game would be a lopsided win if it were to happen again you are mistaken. We will see if it plays out and we get the opportunity to make it happen so we can officially talk more shop and talk matchups and what not.

The respect is mutual.

Like I said, the 13 points was sarcasm and no I don't think the game would be lopsided... although it wouldn't surprise me if it was. It all depends on what version of the Seattle offense shows up and whether or not they continue their trend of coming out flat in the first half.

Seattle's offense is like a box of chocolates... you never know what you're gonna get.

They could score 30, they could score 6... and like I said, I'm not worried about Atlanta scoring 30.

AustrianHawk":3dwr60if said:
Statistically one of the worst passing defenses since Earl got injured vs. a offense that seems to have a big play at least once every drive (esp. trough the middle). Yup, I'm affraid.

... and just the 3rd team to score on over half their drives... averaging like 3.2 pts per drive. Next closest is the Pats at like 2.7 pts per drive.

Gonna be fun to watch.

FlyingGreg":3dwr60if said:
Can we at least talk about your franchises absolute lack of success in the post-season in your entire history??

51 seasons: One conference championship, six division titles. 7-12 in the playoffs, all-time. The Seahawks have won more playoff games in the last 6 seasons than the Falcons in 51 years.

We can talk about our lack of success all you want. None of it is relevant to 2016. It's been a nice run for the Seahawks these last 5 years... I'll give you that. What did you do the first 35 years though? Not much more than Atlanta when it comes down to it. 1 Super Bowl loss and a whole lot of one and dones?

Does it sting too much we have a Lombardi and you don't? You guys had a chance in 2012 and you sh*t the bed vs SF in the NFCCG. What good did it do to beat us when you couldn't beat the 49ers? You had the same off-season as we had, not the Super Bowl Champs. Big difference is the next season, we won it why you watched us win it from your couch

It doesn't sting at all... because when you do the math you have the same # of championships as the Rams, Chiefs, Saints, Bears, Bucs and Jets. Sure, it's 1 more than Atlanta has but it's nothing I lose sleep over.

As for 2012... the defense blew that game. Ryan threw for 400 yards with 3 TDs and spotted the D a 17-0 lead. Can't blame him although people do with all the "Ryan is 1-4 in the playoffs" garbage.

I'd advise you to not puff your chest out too much on this board. You guys have a damn good team and I have posted as much in this thread. If I were to put money down on the Super Bowl, I'd pick the Falcons. Seriously. This is probably your best chance, don't blow it! I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the Seahawks either, as other teams have learned we come up with some crazy mojo in the playoffs sometimes. If our A team shows up (like it did vs NE and CAR and a few others this season), you guys are going to have a dogfight on your hands.

Appreciate that... and nobody's puffing their chest. My initial response was to a post trashing Ryan for the 1-4 playoff record and it's went on from there. I'll defend him till the cows come home on that one because all one has to do is look at the games and the stats and know he definitely wasn't to blame for those losses.

He's MVP this season and yeah, this is Atlanta's best shot. The best team of the Ryan era and I hope we don't blow it either. Lots have picked us to get to Houston... although I think all of them have picked us to lose to the Pats.

Gotta love the media humping Brady's leg.

But, chill the attitude ... you aren't on a Browns fan board. We have become an elite franchise and won a lot of games in the last six seasons. We have earned our place. You haven't earned jack squat yet.

:2thumbs:

No attitude here... LOL... and grats on the 5 year run. Elite... ok, I'll give you that. Just don't use the word "dynasty."

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
RussB":258ejbxf said:
Sgt. Largent":258ejbxf said:
RussB":258ejbxf said:
Matt Ryan's history shows he isnt good in the playoffs and they are very inexperienced and one dimensional in my opinion..

How is the #2 total offense, #3 passing and #5 rushing one dimensional?

Your entire post is conjecture, homerism and based on emotion with zero facts to back up your statement.

Yes we should fear one of best offenses in the league playing at home after the first round bye we were too terrible to get. It's that simple.
One dimensional because their whole sucess depends on if the offense does good, if the offense gets limited they get lost and defense gives points up. Their defense isnt going to win them any games.

As for you saying i have no facts i literally listed a number of facts so ill list them again.

1. Pass rush destroyed them in the first game
2. 2 Td's were basically free plays which probably wont happen again
3.Matt ryan is 1-4 in the playoffs
4. Manhandled them last time

Those are all cold hard facts my friend.

We won last time (at home) because Kam punched the ball out on the one yard line and saved our ass. How is that manhandling the Lions?

Again, I admire your optimism, but that's all it is, optimism. Nothing this team's done over the past month says the Hawk's are blowing anyone out.

pcbball12

Reaction score
FalconsFanNW":2xvmyu7j said:
pcbball12":2xvmyu7j said:
First, there is not a chance I am overlooking Detroit so I won't say WHEN we play. But, IF we happen to play in the divisional round I do not see how you can expect Seattle to score 13ish points.

The respect is mutual.

Like I said, the 13 points was sarcasm and no I don't think the game would be lopsided... although it wouldn't surprise me if it was. It all depends on what version of the Seattle offense shows up and whether or not they continue their trend of coming out flat in the first half.

Seattle's offense is like a box of chocolates... you never know what you're gonna get.

They could score 30, they could score 6... and like I said, I'm not worried about Atlanta scoring 30.

I guess there is plenty good reason to believe Atlanta would have no trouble scoring 30, given that they average above that. But, Seattle usually does a decent job with Ryan. It is one or two big plays here or there. The last outing it was 2 huge miscommunications that lead to 2 big scores. Now I know it would be in Atlanta, but I think putting up 30 in Seattle would be tough. Just my confidence in this defense come playoff time maybe, but I don't think scoring 30 on this team is a given. But again, we will have to wait and see if the opportunity even presents itself.

Seymour

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":13l9wfin said:
Not as ridiculous as how many people are assuming we are one and done around the country :)

I'm not seeing this at all?? We are 8 point favorites and most I've seen are sticking with Seattle. After that IMO we have less chance than last year which wasn't great. This is why Sherm has been flipping out, he knows the window is on the way down (for him and his "class") .

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
The Falcons have the #31 ranked pass defense when it comes to giving up 3rd down conversions............so we better see a lot of long drives by our offense.

I don't even care if we score at the end of all of them, I just wanna see a good time of possession, FOR BOTH HALVES. Not our typical 75 yards of total offense in the first halve garbage we've been seeing.

No reason for Russell and the offense to not convert a bunch of 3rd downs.

FalconsFanNW

Reaction score
Seymour":1ndrst5f said:
I'm not seeing this at all?? We are 8 point favorites and most I've seen are sticking with Seattle.

My pick is Seattle 16, Detroit 13.

Sgt. Largent":1ndrst5f said:
The Falcons have the #31 ranked pass defense when it comes to giving up 3rd down conversions............so we better see a lot of long drives by our offense.

I don't even care if we score at the end of all of them, I just wanna see a good time of possession, FOR BOTH HALVES. Not our typical 75 yards of total offense in the first halve garbage we've been seeing.

Yep... the D is definitely the weakest link of this team although they have played much better since the bye. Beasley has been a beast in year 2 of Quinn's scheme leading the NFL in sacks.

D still needs a few more pieces but when you score 35 a game how good does the D need to be? So far the offense has made up for the D's deficiencies. We've had 2 good defensive drafts and I hope the trend continues.

I don't see any defense in the playoffs completely shutting down the Falcons... so it boils down to the same thing it has all season... Can we score enough points? Atlanta went 11-5 playing the toughest schedule in the league and saw some of the best defenses in the league... and scored on all of them.

The team is battle tested IMHO and the best team of the Ryan era. Can't wait till next week.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
FalconsFanNW":174btzb0 said:
The team is battle tested IMHO and the best team of the Ryan era. Can't wait till next week.

Not sure about battle tested just yet, Ryan and Jones for sure............but how many players are even still around from 2013?

IMO the Falcons are 1-2 defensive players from being a juggernaut, and can certainly hang with any team in the NFC right now. The best news for you guys is you won't have to play in any bad weather all the way through the SB if you make it that far.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
FalconsFanNW":k589mi4o said:
Seymour":k589mi4o said:
I'm not seeing this at all?? We are 8 point favorites and most I've seen are sticking with Seattle.

My pick is Seattle 16, Detroit 13.

Sgt. Largent":k589mi4o said:

Yep... the D is definitely the weakest link of this team although they have played much better since the bye. Beasley has been a beast in year 2 of Quinn's scheme leading the NFL in sacks.

D still needs a few more pieces but when you score 35 a game how good does the D need to be? So far the offense has made up for the D's deficiencies. We've had 2 good defensive drafts and I hope the trend continues.

I don't see any defense in the playoffs completely shutting down the Falcons... so it boils down to the same thing it has all season... Can we score enough points? Atlanta went 11-5 playing the toughest schedule in the league and saw some of the best defenses in the league... and scored on all of them.

Seen countless times really good offenses get shut down at the most critical times.

Any Super Bowl winner will need a very good D to win

JAGHAWK

Reaction score
Yeah wasn't Denver one of the top ranked offenses going into SB XLVIII? ;) ;) ;)

ApnaHawk

Reaction score
Atlanta fans,

You said it was the defense that was at fault all of Ryans playoffs losses.

You say those teams were different then the current one.

So I ask

What confidence do you have in your defense now that you didn't have then?

You didn't suddenly build a power house defense like the Giants have... So tell us... what will be different?

Ryan could put up 30, but can your defense hold?

Las time you were up by 21 headed to the 4th quarter. A rookie QB named Russell had his career high at the point against you. Absolutely ripped your defense apart in the 4th. So what in the world makes you think your defense will hold us to 6?

Don't be a fool. Don't wish for a playoff juggernaut to come to your house thinking you can suddenly wipe us out. I guarantee you that the last team actual Falcons players want is to see the Hawks, because they know who we are.

FalconsFanNW

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2tne1j5g said:
FalconsFanNW":2tne1j5g said:

Not sure about battle tested just yet, Ryan and Jones for sure............but how many players are even still around from 2013?

IMO the Falcons are 1-2 defensive players from being a juggernaut, and can certainly hang with any team in the NFC right now. The best news for you guys is you won't have to play in any bad weather all the way through the SB if you make it that far.

Battle tested as in regular season schedule but yeah, playoffs are a different animal. Leftover from 2012 are Ryan, Julio... Babs our DT... and 3 special teamers... K, P, LS. So yeah, a lot of playoff rookies. Biggest thing though is our QB has been here and has had an MVP season. Lots of confidence he's gonna get it done. The whole 1-4 playoff record is a bunch of garbage that I've already been over.

I feel the same way about the defense... a few more pieces are needed. The last 2 drafts netted some solid players. Hope it continues.

As for the venues... yeah... I wouldn't be nearly as confident has we not gotten the #2 seed. Not worried about playing in Dallas. Was very worried about playing in Seattle.

Uncle Si":2tne1j5g said:
Seen countless times really good offenses get shut down at the most critical times.

Any Super Bowl winner will need a very good D to win

For the most part I agree... but it's not like it hasn't been done. There's been a few teams the last few years that have won it all with a 20th ranked defense and a top 5 offense. The 2006 Colts and 2009 Saints... would have to google the rest.

2011 Giants had the worst D of any champion I believe...

JAGHAWK":2tne1j5g said:
Yeah wasn't Denver one of the top ranked offenses going into SB XLVIII? ;) ;) ;)

Yep... which is exactly why I'm glad the 2013 Seahawks aren't in these playoffs.

Followthelegion

Reaction score
One of the biggest determinants in this matchup will be Seattle's ability or inability to run the football.

I think there is a stat that we are 5-0 this year with rushing attempts > 25, but as we know our run game has been in tatters mainly due to injuries to Rawls / Prosise / Wilson / Pope, and Collins seemingly not figuring out his ideal body size early in the year!

Indications are that Prosise will be able to go for Atlanta, this would be a big benefit on third downs in particular for us. Watching the New England game again, its quite clear what a nice option he gave us.

FalconsFanNW

Reaction score
ApnaHawk":v5h7d4ir said:
Atlanta fans,

You said it was the defense that was at fault all of Ryans playoffs losses.

You say those teams were different then the current one.

This team is different. We have ONE remaining defensive starter from the 2012 team.

ONE.

So I ask

What confidence do you have in your defense now that you didn't have then?

You didn't suddenly build a power house defense like the Giants have... So tell us... what will be different?

Ryan could put up 30, but can your defense hold?

That's a good question. It's not so much the confidence in the defense... it's the confidence in the offense. Our defense has played better the last 1/3 of the season... and we've got some up and coming stars. (Beasley, Neal, Trufant who's on IR, D. Jones)

Still, my money is on the offense putting up enough points to allow the D a little wiggle room... as it's been all season.

Las time you were up by 21 headed to the 4th quarter. A rookie QB named Russell had his career high at the point against you. Absolutely ripped your defense apart in the 4th. So what in the world makes you think your defense will hold us to 6?

Last time was a completely different defense (see one returner starter left over from 2012) and our coach wasn't named Dan Quinn.

I'm not betting on the defense holding Seattle to 6... but I would bet on Seattle coming out and laying an offensive egg like they've done a lot this season. You won't beat Atlanta kicking field goals.

Don't be a fool. Don't wish for a playoff juggernaut to come to your house thinking you can suddenly wipe us out. I guarantee you that the last team actual Falcons players want is to see the Hawks, because they know who we are.

Actually I think the Falcons players want this rematch... given the outcome of the game earlier this season and the spotty officiating. Either way it's all good. They came into Seattle and lost by 2... scored at will in the 2nd half... and that was with Earl Thomas. The team is playing a lot better now they they were then. Scary thought.

Can you say the same about Seattle?

Mindsink

Reaction score
FalconsFanNW":oobhvrli said:
They came into Seattle and lost by 2... scored at will in the 2nd half...

I corrected you in the other thread, but you obviously didn't see it or chose to ignore it. :)

4th quarter, Atlanta had three posessions. 24 total yards. Zero points. How is that scoring at will?

Your team got a couple of lucky scores in the 3rd quarter. The rest of the game you were basically shut down.

ApnaHawk

Reaction score
Mindsink":eh40or2p said:
FalconsFanNW":eh40or2p said:
They came into Seattle and lost by 2... scored at will in the 2nd half...

I corrected you in the other thread, but you obviously didn't see it or chose to ignore it. :)

4th quarter, Atlanta had three posessions. 24 total yards. Zero points. How is that scoring at will?

Your team got a couple of lucky scores in the 3rd quarter. The rest of the game you were basically shut down.

What the most perplexing thing about all this is that ATL fans suddenly think their team is different because of starter changes.

The team still relies on its offense as it always has. It still has an average defense. The names on the back of jersey's might have changed, but their philosophy and make-up has been the same for years! It will continue to be so because that's the team that's been built and has been successful for them.

Quinn runs our defense with much weaker personal, we will easily I mean easily put up 20+. You don't have the d-line to pressure us hard or the corners to stick with us.

Our team might not be the 2013 team, but this team was still 2nd in points allowed on defense. It still as Kam Chancellor, Bobby Wag, KJ wright, Mike B, Clive Avril, Richard Sherman and an even better CB2 in Shead. We have an even better pass rush with Clark now in the mix....

Falcons fans man....

Don't be like that "Bartman" dude from last year... Talking so highly off his team when we completely annihilated them in the final game of the season. Make sure you come back, be a man. Not a coward afterwards.