Anyone else not fear the Falcons?

FalconsFanNW

Reaction score
Mindsink":1n8dkwtx said:
FalconsFanNW":1n8dkwtx said:
They came into Seattle and lost by 2... scored at will in the 2nd half...

I corrected you in the other thread, but you obviously didn't see it or chose to ignore it. :)

4th quarter, Atlanta had three posessions. 24 total yards. Zero points. How is that scoring at will?

Your team got a couple of lucky scores in the 3rd quarter. The rest of the game you were basically shut down.

I guess I didn't see it. I didn't DVR the game or anything but I was talking about the 3rd quarter.

At any rate, our team is better now than it was then. Should be a great matchup. Your chances will depend on what Seattle offense shows up... the one that scores 6 pts or the one that scores 30 pts.

We know the Falcons offense is gonna show up.

ApnaHawk":1n8dkwtx said:
Our team might not be the 2013 team, but this team was still 2nd in points allowed on defense. It still as Kam Chancellor, Bobby Wag, KJ wright, Mike B, Clive Avril, Richard Sherman and an even better CB2 in Shead. We have an even better pass rush with Clark now in the mix....

Falcons fans man....

Don't be like that "Bartman" dude from last year... Talking so highly off his team when we completely annihilated them in the final game of the season. Make sure you come back, be a man. Not a coward afterwards.

Lot of respect for Seattle.

I'm REALLY looking forward to seeing if Seattle can stop Atlanta's offense on the road while at the same time scoring enough points to win. If the game were here at the Clink I'd be a lot more worried than I am.

I've already said I'll be here. Win or loss. I'll either be accepting your congrats and good luck wishes in the NFCCG or you'll be accepting mine.

*Pending the DET game*

ApnaHawk

Reaction score
FalconsFanNW":2tt6glb8 said:
Mindsink":2tt6glb8 said:
FalconsFanNW":2tt6glb8 said:
They came into Seattle and lost by 2... scored at will in the 2nd half...

I corrected you in the other thread, but you obviously didn't see it or chose to ignore it. :)

4th quarter, Atlanta had three posessions. 24 total yards. Zero points. How is that scoring at will?

Your team got a couple of lucky scores in the 3rd quarter. The rest of the game you were basically shut down.

I guess I didn't see it. I didn't DVR the game or anything but I was talking about the 3rd quarter.

At any rate, our team is better now than it was then. Should be a great matchup. Your chances will depend on what Seattle offense shows up... the one that scores 6 pts or the one that scores 30 pts.

ApnaHawk":2tt6glb8 said:
Our team might not be the 2013 team, but this team was still 2nd in points allowed on defense. It still as Kam Chancellor, Bobby Wag, KJ wright, Mike B, Clive Avril, Richard Sherman and an even better CB2 in Shead. We have an even better pass rush with Clark now in the mix....

Falcons fans man....

Don't be like that "Bartman" dude from last year... Talking so highly off his team when we completely annihilated them in the final game of the season. Make sure you come back, be a man. Not a coward afterwards.

Lot of respect for Seattle.

I'm REALLY looking forward to seeing if Seattle can stop Atlanta's offense on the road while at the same time scoring enough points to win. If the game were here I'd be a lot more worried than I am.

I've already said I'll be here. Win or loss. I'll either be accepting your congrats and good luck wishes in the NFCCG or you'll be accepting mine.

*Pending the DET game*

Fair and respectable.

Another thing I'd like to point out is. You keep bringing up an offense that will either put up 6 or 30+.

Dolphins - Rams - Packers - Arizona have been the only teams that have kept our offense in check.

The second time we played Arizona we put up 31. The Packers will forever play us extremely tough due the way they lost the NFC championship game against us, plus Russell throwing 6 picks is not a norm. The Bucs will be a serious contender next year. The way those LB's fly around edge to edge is absolutely ridiculous.

The Dolphins and Rams have one of the best d-lines in all of pro football. You don't have that. Not even close actually.

Mindsink

Reaction score
FalconsFanNW":2mcf5jbk said:

You mean like how your #1 rushing offense showed up against the Eagles in the 2004 NFCCG? ;)

I don't know how long you've been a Falcons fan, but perhaps you remember in 2004, they lit up the Rams in the divisional round for 47 points, and then their offense laid an egg against the Eagles in the NFCCG, who by the way were the #2 ranked scoring defense at the time, just like the Seahawks are now. :)

This is the playoffs. Stranger things have happened. Teams have played out of their minds. Teams have inexplicably laid eggs -- especially offensive juggernauts. I've been following the NFL for a long time and have seen this happen over and over. Nothing is certain. There are no guarantees.

FalconsFanNW

Reaction score
ApnaHawk":2tgs1eqz said:
Fair and respectable.

Another thing I'd like to point out is. You keep bringing up an offense that will either put up 6 or 30+.

Dolphins - Rams - Packers - Arizona have been the only teams that have kept our offense in check.

The second time we played Arizona we put up 31. The Packers will forever play us extremely tough due the way they lost the NFC championship game against us, plus Russell throwing 6 picks is not a norm. The Bucs will be a serious contender next year. The way those LB's fly around edge to edge is absolutely ridiculous.

The Dolphins and Rams have one of the best d-lines in all of pro football. You don't have that. Not even close actually.

Any given Sunday... we were up 42-0 on the Rams before giving up 2 garbage time TD's... the same Rams that beat Seattle 9-3. We doubled up the Cardinals 38-19. Beat the Pack by 1 after ya'll lost by 28... and after a 7 point season opening loss to the Bucs we blew them out by 15 the 2nd time.

None of this means anything though. If it did we'd be crowning the Browns the NFL's best... because Cleveland beat San Diego who beat Atlanta who beat Green Bay who beat the NYG who beat Dallas. Twice.

Our defense is based on speed... and is still our weakest link. It's getting better. As someone else said, our D is a couple players away from being a juggernaut.

Quinn is amazing and I can't wait for the game.

Mindsink":2tgs1eqz said:
FalconsFanNW":2tgs1eqz said:

You mean like how your #1 rushing offense showed up against the Eagles in the 2004 NFCCG? ;)

I don't know how long you've been a Falcons fan, but perhaps you remember in 2004, they lit up the Rams in the divisional round for 47 points, and then their offense laid an egg against the Eagles in the NFCCG, who by the way were the #2 ranked scoring defense at the time, just like the Seahawks are now. :)

This is the playoffs. Stranger things have happened. Teams have played out of their minds. Teams have inexplicably laid eggs -- especially offensive juggernauts. I've been following the NFL for a long time and have seen this happen over and over. Nothing is certain. There are no guarantees.

I've actually been a fan since the early 80's. We had a QB named Bartkowski and a RB named Andrews.

I remember 2004... as well as 1998. Not much to remember prior to that. It's apples and oranges though... 1998 our QB was Chris Chandler and we beat a 15-1 Vikings team that was better than us... 2004 we had Vick and got shut down in Philly... 2008-2012 we lost for a variety of reasons... mainly the D... and this 2016 team only has 2 returning offensive starters and 1 defensive starter from the 2012 team.... so it's still apples and oranges.

Yep it's the playoffs and nothing is guaranteed. I'm fully aware. We could lay and egg and be one and done. Or we could win it all because nobody can stop our offense.

Gonna be fun to watch.

chris98251

Reaction score
FalconsFanNW":3qt44eg4 said:
ApnaHawk":3qt44eg4 said:
Fair and respectable.

Any given Sunday... we were up 42-0 on the Rams before giving up 2 garbage time TD's... the same Rams that beat Seattle 9-3. We doubled up the Cardinals 38-19. Beat the Pack by 1 after ya'll lost by 28... and after a 7 point season opening loss to the Bucs we blew them out by 15 the 2nd time.

None of this means anything though. If it did we'd be crowning the Browns the NFL's best... because Cleveland beat San Diego who beat Atlanta who beat Green Bay who beat the NYG who beat Dallas. Twice.

Our defense is based on speed... and is still our weakest link. It's getting better. As someone else said, our D is a couple players away from being a juggernaut.

Quinn is amazing and I can't wait for the game.

Mindsink":3qt44eg4 said:
FalconsFanNW":3qt44eg4 said:

I've actually been a fan since the early 80's. We had a QB named Bartkowski and a RB named Andrews.

I remember 2004... as well as 1998. Not much to remember prior to that. It's apples and oranges though... 1998 our QB was Chris Chandler and we beat a 15-1 Vikings team that was better than us... 2004 we had Vick and got shut down in Philly... 2008-2012 we lost for a variety of reasons... mainly the D... and this 2016 team only has 2 returning offensive starters and 1 defensive starter from the 2012 team.... so it's still apples and oranges.

Yep it's the playoffs and nothing is guaranteed. I'm fully aware. We could lay and egg and be one and done. Or we could win it all because nobody can stop our offense.

Gonna be fun to watch.

I liked the Red helmet with Black Falcon better.

Alexander

Reaction score
Assuming the Hawks actually take care of business this weekend, I look forward to a matchup with the Falcons. It'll be a nice throwback to our 2012 playoff game with them, and Atlanta is probably the team I respect the most in the NFC playoffs. I also like Dan Quinn and I think he's done a great job so far.

One thing to note is that this Atlanta team is much better than the 2012 version that won 13 games. The 2012 team was mediocre, winning lots of close games against a weak schedule. This year's version is legit. The offense is incredible. Matt Ryan has been phenomenal this year and is a legit MVP candidate. His career will always pale in comparison to Tom Brady's, but for this one year he deserves to be in the conversation with him. The defense is weak, but this year's playoffs seem to be lacking in truly great defenses, so I don't think the whole "best defense beats best offense" argument matters as much as usual. And unlike some of the other great offensive teams in the playoffs this year (Patriots, Cowboys, Packers), the Falcons at least have an elite pass rusher in Vic Beasley. That might be enough to give them the edge in a shootout.

The Patriots are a popular pick, but if it does come down to Falcons versus Patriots in the SB, I'm betting on the Falcons. And if the Hawks somehow manage to get past Atlanta (and Detroit, obviously), I like their chances to go all the way.

zhawk

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":1jsz7dit said:
Fear? No. I don't fear anything in the NFL, it's not "real life". I fear losing my kids or my wife.

But, I get the context.

When it comes to the Falcons, I think the operative word is respect. That offense is LEGIT. Keep in mind, we barely beat them last time in OUR HOUSE with EARL THOMAS.

IMO, they will score 30+ on us right now. The only way to beat them is our offense is going to have to have a flawless game:

-- Eating the clock (which means running the ball) ... we can't let them have the ball more than necessary

-- No stupid drive killing penalties

-- 3rd down success

-- 2015 down-the-stretch Russell, not the current version of him (I still think it's injuries, he just looks a little off)

We would also need flawless special teams (snaps, extra points, field goals, field position), turnovers from the defense (not their forte anymore), and the kind of pressure we put on Ryan in the first half of the last game.

They are far from unbeatable, but don't underestimate how good a team they have become.

For those discounting their defense, I have a name for you: Vic Beasley. That defense has improved a lot, and Quinn knows our predictable offense cold. He will be ready to expose Terrell.

Loud dome, excited team, excited fan base...this is their best shot to win it all. They will be rested and fired up.

I see your point, but I remember a time when we went to a big game and no one gave us a chance. that turned out ok. :0190l:

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
Falcons fans are disproportionately annoying. Fans of teams that have never won anything just come unglued at every perceived slight.

If we beat Detroit I wonder how long it will take that turd fuego to show up?

Jerhawk

Reaction score
FalconsFanNW has come here to debate football with stats and he has some really good points.

Seems like the only attack being thrown his way is the Falcons history. Who cares? The past is in the past. it's not like our history is that appealing anyway

Vesuve

Reaction score
Seahwkgal":1l3huta2 said:
I am not as confident as you about the Lions game and quite honestly, I do not understand why nobody wants to discuss it(the match-up). The Lions are no pushover right now and I really do not want to talk about Atlanta because that is not who we are playing Saturday.

Agreed.

Also to the OP in post #1 - good thread.

I think the Seahawks can win at home - but it will take work.

After Detroit they'll go to Atlanta which has been playing well and they are rested.

I'm a Seahawks supporter since day one when I was a kid in the Kingdome - and I'm also realistic.

We'll hope for and root for the best outcome.

FalconsFanNW

Reaction score
chris98251":2wqzsfsu said:
I liked the Red helmet with Black Falcon better.
Same here. I'm also a fan of the Seahawks road jerseys over the home. The home has too much dark blue IMO... the whites just look so much better.

Alexander":2wqzsfsu said:
Assuming the Hawks actually take care of business this weekend, I look forward to a matchup with the Falcons. It'll be a nice throwback to our 2012 playoff game with them, and Atlanta is probably the team I respect the most in the NFC playoffs. I also like Dan Quinn and I think he's done a great job so far.

One thing to note is that this Atlanta team is much better than the 2012 version that won 13 games. The 2012 team was mediocre, winning lots of close games against a weak schedule. This year's version is legit. The offense is incredible. Matt Ryan has been phenomenal this year and is a legit MVP candidate. His career will always pale in comparison to Tom Brady's, but for this one year he deserves to be in the conversation with him. The defense is weak, but this year's playoffs seem to be lacking in truly great defenses, so I don't think the whole "best defense beats best offense" argument matters as much as usual. And unlike some of the other great offensive teams in the playoffs this year (Patriots, Cowboys, Packers), the Falcons at least have an elite pass rusher in Vic Beasley. That might be enough to give them the edge in a shootout.

The Patriots are a popular pick, but if it does come down to Falcons versus Patriots in the SB, I'm betting on the Falcons. And if the Hawks somehow manage to get past Atlanta (and Detroit, obviously), I like their chances to go all the way.

Excellent post. Thanks. We agree on a lot.

The 2012 team did play a weak schedule. The 2016 played the toughest... and won 11 games when a lot of people picked us to win 5. The 5 losses were by 22 combined... biggest loss 9 points. Falcons were in ever game this year and could have easily been 14-2 had they secured their 4th quarter leads in the 1 point loss to KC, 2 point loss to SEA and 3 point loss to SD.

Either way, I'll take it.

I do think Ryan wins MVP. His performance speaks for itself. Beasley is an absolute beast in year 2 of Quinn's scheme.

Lots have picked Pats/Falcons and all that I've seen has picked Pats to win. No surprise there... but there isn't a team in the playoffs that worries me because like you said this year's playoffs are lacking truly great defenses.

Jerhawk":2wqzsfsu said:
FalconsFanNW has come here to debate football with stats and he has some really good points.

Seems like the only attack being thrown his way is the Falcons history. Who cares? The past is in the past. it's not like our history is that appealing anyway

Yep... none of it is relevant. Ryan's 1-4 playoff record doesn't mean jack especially when you look at the points I've brought up already... (He wasn't playing defense in those games)

Good luck today Seattle.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Falcons are a very good team. They earned their #2 seed. Dan Quinn is a excellent coach and he's got the dirty birds flying high. I hope the Seahawks play like they are capable of throughout the playoffs. Name one game this season in which the Seahawks played their best ball and lost....I can't. The Seahawks did as much to help their opponents win. Therefore, I believe the only team that beats the Seahawks are the Seahawks. NE is regarded as the best team in NFL. The Seahawks beat them in NE. That's the Seahawk team I hope comes to play in the playoffs. The one thing the Seahawks have over any team in the NFC is that they are battle-tested. They have been to the show twice in the past 3 years.

If the Seahawks get there, I think the game against the Falcons will be one of the ages. These two teams are very familiar with one another.

Go Hawks!

Blitzer88

Reaction score
I'd rather we not over look the Lions. Our pass defense had been terrible of late and the Lions are a potent passing team.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
As usual, more proof that overconfidence by fans has zero impact on the game.
We talked about the Falcons, and the Hawks still beat the Lions :mrgreen:

kobebryant

Reaction score
No team should be feared, that's a poor mentality to have.

All opponents should be respected though. And this Atlanta team has a lot to respect - an MVP candidate at QB, strong oline, a nice stable of backs, a HOFer at WR, young studs littered throughout their defense, and what I think is an excellent head coach who will have his boys up for this one.

Rob12

Reaction score
First of all, there are a ton of tickets available for this game. Atlanta is a long ways away, but Seahawks fans travel well. Atlanta got their asses busted for piping in artificial crowd noise (they lost a draft pick over it). Manufacturing crowd noise is laughable, as is the amount of tickets still available for this game. While it's not a neutral site, it might feel like one more than not. Atlanta lost three home games this season, too. They're not unbeatable there. Also, turf - the Seahawks play well on 'fast' surfaces, averaging 27 PPG.

Atlanta won five of their last six games. The one team they lost to during that stretch, KC, was the only team with a winning record.

The run game and Thomas Rawls looks to be back, especially with the reintroduction of the Read Option. It was awesome seeing Rawls explode through holes, and looking to hit someone at the end of a run. He played fast, and popped up after most runs while talking shit. Atlanta's run defense was worse than Detroit's during the regular season. I fully expect the run game to be extremely effective.

That will open things up for RW. I think he has a big day, and playing big in his mind will be avenging the 2013 playoff loss. Atlanta is most people's pick this week, and perhaps rightfully so. But I have this sneaky offense that RW plays his best game of the season on Saturday. Trust was built last week with P-Rich. I think Jimmy will be a big part of the game plan and Baldwin is pretty much uncoverable at this point.

Not having Earl is a big blow, but don't forget he was a non factor against Atlanta earlier this season. I'm pretty sure he was called the elephant in the room in a thread following the Falcons game. I'd never try to understate Earl's impact, but he had a rough day against them and the defense was without Kam, Clark, and Bennett (for half the game at least, IIRC). Atlanta kicked our defense's ass for one quarter that day, and that can't happen again.

At some point, belief in this team and what they've accomplished during the PC era has to come in to play. This season has been a labor of love for me, but I wouldn't be one bit surprised if the Seahawks put a beating on the Falcons. They're a good team with a great offense and some big flaws as well, mostly on the defensive side of the ball. If the offense struggles we will lose, but I hope that knowing you're playing a weak defense, the offensive game plan is aggressive and on point.

I don't fear the Falcons at all. I just don't. If I fear anything, it's that the Seahawks will come out flat and beat themselves.

Rob12

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":17h0d9h3 said:
LeftHandSmoke":17h0d9h3 said:
A big difference this time would be in the already-poor Falcons Pass D now missing their best pass defender, Trufant who has been placed on IR.

No fear!

Conversely, we had Earl last time...

Who was a non factor. Love Earl to death, and we'll miss him this week, but he was a ghost that game.

No Earl, but we gain Kam, Bennett, and Clark.

Rob12

Reaction score
FalconsFanNW":1m8jb6l8 said:
RussB":1m8jb6l8 said:
Newsflash:Matty Ice got iced by the LOB last time and probably would again. Your offense can be stopped, once that happens the rails fall off.

So come do it in our house. You better hold us to like 13 pts cuz I'm pretty sure Seattle won't score much more than that.

... and for the love of god get off the Matt Ryan is 1-4 in the playoffs train. We've been over this.

Loss to GB when the D couldn't force a punt all game
Loss to SF when the D blew a 17 pt lead. Ryan threw 3 TDs and 400 yards with a 115 QBR
Loss to Giants when shut down by the same D that beat Patriots
Loss by 6 points in a wild card game his rookie season

Can we at least talk about his 1 playoff win? Or does it sting too much?

@ the mod who PMed me

Thanks for the reassurance. I'm all for civilized debating and will gladly continue.

Your "house" isn't anything to worry about. Hawks play well on turf (27 PPG). And you won't have the benefit of piping in crowd noise since the NFL is watching and you lost a draft pick over it. Oh, and you guys lost three times in your house. Seeing there's quite a few tickets remaining for this game.

We'll see. It's going to be fun.

Rob12

Reaction score
For the record FalconsFanNW, I respect the way you've handled yourself in here. Not taking any shit while still being respectful. Well done.

The Falcons are a damn good team. Me not fearing them isn't a slight towards them, but rather a reflection of how much I believe in this team of mine.

One thing you've said here that I take issue with is you saying we've had a great five year run. That run is still going, no matter how this season plays out. The Seahawks are still extremely formidable and will be for years. The way you say it almost makes it sound like you think this franchise is about to become a corpse. Don't think so, my man. Maybe I'm reading into your words too much there.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
No reason to fear the Falcons. There's absolutely no need in the play-offs left that does everything better than us. Atlanta's passing game is great but their D is so-so and I'm curious to see how our run game compares. Most likely this will be a very close game but the only reason to fear another team if it looks like you have almost no chance of winning. Makes sense for the Texans to fear the Patriots right now but that's the only play-off match up I'd say that about.