Barnwell Ranks Seahawks' Offensive Supporting Cast #28

OP
OP
A

adeltaY

Reaction score
mrblitz":jms7fm7t said:
seahawks are going to be great this season. it's great to see everybody in the big media discounting this team. they're going to take the league by surprise. sometime between game 8 and game 12, it will be obvious that the seahawks are going to the divisional round of the playoffs, and beyond.

this offense (and field goal unit) should score around 27+ ppg. with the defense and punt return squad adding another 3+ ppg, the team average will be over 30ppg this year. with the defense holding people to 17ppg, expect a lot of big wins.

Defense and ST going to score 7 TDs?

jammerhawk

Reaction score
To me Barnwell's ranking is quite a bit low.

There seems to be a discounting by Barnwell of any offseason move except those where a supposed star player like Graham or even Richardson has left in FA. We know that graham was largely ineffective, except in the redzone last year, for most of his time here. He could not run block or even pass block with any effectiveness, he never fit in Seattle's O schemes or was very poorly used by the OC. Richardson spent a great deal of time nicked up while here and while fast did not always show up for every game. The writer as well discounts the ability of the running game to even improve to a median level which would make an extraordinary improvement. I'd fairly rank the team in the mid range rather than 28th. Time will tell b/c if the OLine comes together and if the running game gets materially better the O could even move up sharply from a14-18 range

Essentially the article pans the Seahawks offseason and ignores the changes made by the team to improve. some of the rankings are humorous.

Rat

Reaction score
Looks pretty fair. I don't see many teams ahead of us that I think arent deserving of being there.

I kind of like our TE group. Dickson, Vannett, Dissly, and Swoopes give us a little of everything, but in the context of an "arsenal", I can see why Barnwell wouldn't grade them super high. I really wish we had a Kelce or Ertz type, but hopefully Vannett or Swoopes take a step up as a receiver and help stretch some defenses.

I just don't see what everyone else is seeing in Lockett. Even considering that he had been injured a year prior, I thought his performance last year was extremely discouraging. I've nearly written him off. I'd love to be wrong, but I think this team is going to badly regret not making a bigger effort to keep Paul Richardson, who I believe made some very underrated contributions on this team. I'm a big believer in Darboh, but I can't pretend I'm super comfortable with the WRs we trot out there after Baldwin.

Rat

Reaction score
chris98251":2clhi4v1 said:
Jaron Brown WR proven Vet

:187734:

By your definition, there must be a LOT of "proven vets" at WR in the league. Like every team must have at least 3-4 of them.

chris98251

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3a8sf8xm said:
chris98251":3a8sf8xm said:
Ed Dickson TE proven Vet.

He's proven he's a decent blocker and a JAG everywhere else.

Brandon Marshall WR proven Vet, coming off injury but if his name was Adrian Peterson they would not blink about saying good things.

Or they would say AD was washed up (because he is) like Marshall (because he is)

Marshall probably doesn't even make the 53 in all honesty.

Jaron Brown WR proven Vet, was in the shadow of the very good Arizona receiving group and still made a name for himself.

What? When did Jaron Brown make a name for himself? Was it that amazing 477 yard season a year ago when the Cardinals couldn't come up with a WR worth a crap to play oppo Fitz? Or was it the previous career high of 229 yards that put him on the map?

Tyler Lockett proven Vet, was coming off a injury last year and still contributed, will be 100 percent now, showed flashes his Rookie year, should not be idly discounted.

Again - he hasn't proven anything. I don't understand what "proven vet" even means in the manner you are throwing it around. I like Lockett a lot for what he is (a nice #3 and a quality KR/PR when healthy) but this isn't someone the media is blatantly ignoring either. He's a JAG. All of these guys mentioned are marginal players at best ------ hence the 28th overall ranking by Barnwell.

Carson, Prosise McKissic all have not seen the field as much as Lockett did his Rookie year so I can see a question mark there given our Line issues, but drafting a blocking TE and adding a FB to the offense is going to change that dynamic more as well. Guess the writer never thought of that also.

Yeah Barnwell is out of his mind not including a guy that would go on IR for grabbing the remote in his house or the 7th round pick coming off of a broken ankle/foot or the UDFA with less than 500 yards of offense so far.

You don't need flash you need first downs, that's what guys like this forget. Who have we had that was flashy on offense since Pete was here. You can say Lynch but he wasn't flashy, he was just a tough SOB who gained yards and would not go down, had memorable runs due to that. Prior he was serviceable in Buffalo.

Having the best defense of this decade and one of the best defenses of all-time + Lynch had more to do with our prior success than having an offense filled with a lack of flash. We no longer have that defense. We have nothing close to that running game. Going "yeah well Jermaine Kearse wasn't flashy!!" completely misses the point.

If all of these players mentioned were Rams, Cardinals or 49ers .. would your words be as glowing?

If every one is just a guy then we should be a lot higher then 28th, it means we have a guy that is at least average.

28th means we don't have a average guy in almost every position.

chris98251

Reaction score
Rat":9wjgy9j2 said:
chris98251":9wjgy9j2 said:

By your definition, there must be a LOT of "proven vets" at WR in the league. Like every team must have at least 3-4 of them.

They have proved then can play and are at least avergae Joes, 28th Ranked to me means you don't even have that.

OP
OP
A

adeltaY

Reaction score
chris98251":1ucandpv said:
Rat":1ucandpv said:
chris98251":1ucandpv said:

They have proved then can play and are at least avergae Joes, 28th Ranked to me means you don't even have that.

He was only rating on starting 3 WRs, TE, and RB. Quite a few teams have at least two above average players out of that group of five and we only have Doug. For example, AZ pretty much only has Fitz and DJ but that's more than what we have so they're ahead of us. It's possible we actually have a better supporting cast than they do, especially our WR depth, and we might be able to compare at RB depth-wise. I doubt we have a DJ-caliber RB though.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
We may have depth but we only have one proven starter. It looks to me as if Barny’s on the money with his list.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
chris98251":30u90xcz said:
Rat":30u90xcz said:
chris98251":30u90xcz said:

28th means you have below average skill position players........and right now other than Doug and a 80% Tyler Locket, we have no above average proven skill position players on offense.

That's what Barnwell is measuring.

TE: Ed Dickson and a 5th round rookie with 2 college TD's.
RB: A stable of oft injured RB's and a rookie
WR: Baldwin, Locket and 2-3 4th or 5th WR's on the depth chart

So no, Barnwell is spot on. Doesn't mean if Penny doesn't come in and ball out and we get some production from the TE and other WR positions other than Baldwin that this doesn't improve. But as of now? Looks kinda bleak at the skill positions.