Ben Johnson

olyfan63

Reaction score
Sounds like bias. That offense wasn't good in the second half. I'll pass.
Can't really argue too hard, 2nd half not great. However, in playoff football crunch time, when it mattered, Johnson's unit got it done.

I like Johnson, but I'd be just as happy with the Ravens DC. Then it becomes a matter of can he get a good OC that plays complementary football. And if team is highly successful OC will get poached for an HC job. I guess that's a happy problem to have?

Raifers

Reaction score
The OC is responsible for his unit's execution, players being on the same page. I've never called for Waldron's head. If Johnson were to become the coach, and decided to keep Waldron, or choose his own guy, I'm fine with either. Waldron is 2-0 against Johnson's Lions the last two seasons, with the Seattle offense being the unit that won the game, in crunch time. Both times.

I did like how Johnson's scheme largely neutralized Aaron Donald in the Lions Wildcard win over the Rams. Don't recall Hawks ever managing to do that.
Not saying you want Waldron fired. I’m just curious as to why some people see a need for an offensive HC. Waldrons offense has done well in spurts and like many past seasons it just all comes to a standstill. People talk about how Geno is clutch (which I believe more often that not is true), but that also shows that Waldron can get it done when it matters most. Therefore I think our defense is the weakest link, and there is no reason why a defensive minded HC would be a detriment to the team.

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
I think Johnson is an unproven first timer. I like the possibility, but I have real worry it could be a real fail. I doubt we get him anyway.

No matter what though I personally really want to give our new coach a chance before I go pissing and moaning about the hire and sure that we're mired in doom and mediocrity cuz other fans are just sure that's the case cuz they didn't get the guy they wanted. Personally I think that's a really unnecessary and masochistic, painful way to be a fan, but you guys do you I guess..?!?

hawkfan68

Reaction score
That second half Lions' offense sure looked a lot like the Seahawks 2023 offense did in the 2nd half of many games this season. They were lucky to escape that game with a win.

Last edited:

olyfan63

Reaction score
Not saying you want Waldron fired. I’m just curious as to why some people see a need for an offensive HC. Waldrons offense has done well in spurts and like many past seasons it just all comes to a standstill. People talk about how Geno is clutch (which I believe more often that not is true), but that also shows that Waldron can get it done when it matters most. Therefore I think our defense is the weakest link, and there is no reason why a defensive minded HC would be a detriment to the team.
I see the arguments on both sides. Both have validity. I'm slightly leaning towards having the Hawks go with the Ravens DC, Mike Macdonald. (I have a direct hotline to Pete's office to give him the official .NET "position" so Pete can "advise" John and the team brass on these matters ;) ) Macdonald is the only guy whose D has managed to throttle the 49ers offense this year. And beatdown the Dolphins offense. And the Lions. And the Seahawks. The Rams offense was the only one that caused Baltimore a problem.

The problem being for Dan Quinn and other potential Defensive coaches, that if the team does well, your OC (Kyle Shanahan, in his case with the Falcons) is gonna get poached, and you'll have to break in a rotating carousel of OCs. Personally, I consider that a "happy problem" to have.

Agreed, the Hawks D has been a horribly weak link. That's why I'd go with Macdonald, and be good with it if he kept Waldron as OC. Or ditched Waldron and chose his own.

Last edited:

94Smith

Reaction score
Like I've been saying...

Offensive HC is the way.
I agree. When teams have success, the assistants get stolen away. It seems easier to higher defensive assistants than offensive assistants that can keep the system going. 49ers have lost Mike McDaniel, Robert Saleh, Mike Lafleur , Demeco Ryans and will probably lose Steve Wilks this year. But Kyle Shanahan has been the stability on the offensive side

olyfan63

Reaction score
I agree. When teams have success, the assistants get stolen away. It seems easier to higher defensive assistants than offensive assistants that can keep the system going. 49ers have lost Mike McDaniel, Robert Saleh, Mike Lafleur , Demeco Ryans and will probably lose Steve Wilks this year. But Kyle Shanahan has been the stability on the offensive side
Not that I suspect your motives (AS IF you, or I, had any control over the situation, HA!), but if the Seahawks hire an offensive coach, they will continue to be the butt-bitch for the 49ers and Rams offenses. That's why I see Mike Macdonald of the Ravens as the only hire that moves the needle for the Seahawks, to get the team up off all fours and turn around and square up and actually put up a real fight instead of just talking a fight (Carroll) while passively taking it. Ben Johnson and the Lions showed they could match up to the Rams in a shootout, but really it was Aidan Hutchinson on the defensive side that made the difference with his pass rush, just like Bosa does for the 49ers. And besides, if the Hawks go for an offensive coach, who TF else has Trent Williams on that left side to just DESTROY that whole side of the defense?

Your points are dead-on accurate, of course, and WOW I hadn't stopped to realize just HOW MUCH the 49ers coaching staff had been RAIDED by other teams over the years, both on offense and defense.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
Not that I suspect your motives (AS IF you, or I, had any control over the situation, HA!), but if the Seahawks hire an offensive coach, they will continue to be the butt-bitch for the 49ers and Rams offenses. That's why I see Mike Macdonald of the Ravens as the only hire that moves the needle for the Seahawks, to get the team up off all fours and turn around and square up and actually put up a real fight instead of just talking a fight (Carroll) while passively taking it. Ben Johnson and the Lions showed they could match up to the Rams in a shootout, but really it was Aidan Hutchinson on the defensive side that made the difference with his pass rush, just like Bosa does for the 49ers. And besides, if the Hawks go for an offensive coach, who TF else has Trent Williams on that left side to just DESTROY that whole side of the defense?

Your points are dead-on accurate, of course, and WOW I hadn't stopped to realize just HOW MUCH the 49ers coaching staff had been RAIDED by other teams over the years, both on offense and defense.
That kind of depends on who are new HC brings in as a DC and how they approach things, I think.

I mean, it was as obvious as it gets that our defense has been the weak link the last two seasons. Just because our new HC is an offensive mind doesn't mean he won't be able to do that same assessment.

That said, I'd be happy with the Ravens DC and I definitely see the argument for bringing in someone to shore up our weak link.

94Smith

Reaction score
I see the arguments on both sides. Both have validity. I'm slightly leaning towards having the Hawks go with the Ravens DC, Mike Macdonald. (I have a direct hotline to Pete's office to give him the official .NET "position" so Pete can "advise" John and the team brass on these matters ;) ) Macdonald is the only guy whose D has managed to throttle the 49ers offense this year. And beatdown the Dolphins offense. And the Lions. And the Seahawks. The Rams offense was the only one that caused Baltimore a problem.

The problem being for Dan Quinn and other potential Defensive coaches, that if the team does well, your OC (Kyle Shanahan, in his case with the Falcons) is gonna get poached, and you'll have to break in a rotating carousel of OCs. Personally, I consider that a "happy problem" to have.

Agreed, the Hawks D has been a horribly weak link. That's why I'd go with Macdonald, and be good with it if he kept Waldron as OC. Or ditched Waldron and chose his own.
I think talent can play a defense. Scheme is important, but talent trumps scheme. In offense, I believe scheme trumps talent

olyfan63

Reaction score
That kind of depends on who are new HC brings in as a DC and how they approach things, I think.

I mean, it was as obvious as it gets that our defense has been the weak link the last two seasons. Just because our new HC is an offensive mind doesn't mean he won't be able to do that same assessment.

That said, I'd be happy with the Ravens DC and I definitely see the argument for bringing in someone to shore up our weak link.
I'm just skeptical that a young offensive mastermind would have the wisdom, insight, and blind stupid LUCK to bring on board a DC who can actually build a defense capable of slowing down the McVay and Shanahan offenses. Yes, it COULD happen, but the Ravens DC is the only one who has actually proven his defense can match up, to the Rams at least. The Lions DC did a nice job vs the Rams in that playoff game, but why would he leave just to make a lateral move? Plus his D got smoked by the Ravens offense.

olyfan63

Reaction score
I think talent can play a defense. Scheme is important, but talent trumps scheme. In offense, I believe scheme trumps talent
Yeah, the Niners have Bosa, Fred Warner, Dre Greenlaw and others on D. Talent for sure helps. But, the Hawks have LJ Collier and Malik McDowell--oh, wait...
I think both talent and scheme are necessary, and have no real belief about the right "mix" other than scheme must align with available talent. Sort of like Russell Wilson can only run the "Russell Wilson Offense" but can't run the "Aaron Rodgers Offense".

We've all seen super-talented, field-tilting players on crappy teams, on both sides of the ball. IMO, in order for them to truly have impact, the level of talent around them needs to be high enough that the star can't simply be game-planned out, neutralized. Nick Bosa benefits from having Javon Hargrave and Arik Armstead in there with him. Double, or triple Bosa? Those other guys will make you pay. The Lions doubled and tripled Aaron Donald, and sometimes they paid, but overall it was a net win to game-plan him out. Just shows the Rams need more talent in their D-Line, their scheme wasn't enough. Score one for your point that talent trumps scheme on defense.

stack55

Reaction score
I know this is a post on our new HC search, but the question still
remains. This team doesn’t tackle, other than a few players. This
team tackles and we’re easily in the playoffs. What coaching change
is going to get this team to tackle. It was a pathetic effort. Do we find
a coach that turns over this defensive roster?

Scout

Reaction score
Evero or Flores could take the Hawks defense and turn it into an elite unit. Lots of talent.

But on the flipside you have Ben Johnson who can do a lot of work with Hawks promising stable of RBs.

olyfan63

Reaction score
I know this is a post on our new HC search, but the question still
remains. This team doesn’t tackle, other than a few players. This
team tackles and we’re easily in the playoffs. What coaching change
is going to get this team to tackle. It was a pathetic effort. Do we find
a coach that turns over this defensive roster?
Rumor is Nick Siriani of the Eagles will be available to help with this...
The Eagles put on am absolute freaking tackling clinic in their playoff victory over Tampa Bay!

What do you mean the Eagles lost the wildcard game due to their crappy tackling?? Gotta be fake news!

SeaWolv

Reaction score
Johnson, Harbaugh and Slowik are THE candidates for our next HC. We must hire one of them.
Don't forget to add Mike Macdonald to that list. Who wouldn't want our own PNW version of the Ravens D??

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
I think Johnson is an unproven first timer. I like the possibility, but I have real worry it could be a real fail. I doubt we get him anyway.

No matter what though I personally really want to give our new coach a chance before I go pissing and moaning about the hire and sure that we're mired in doom and mediocrity cuz other fans are just sure that's the case cuz they didn't get the guy they wanted. Personally I think that's a really unnecessary and masochistic, painful way to be a fan, but you guys do you I guess..?!?
Looks like you are the only one bitching and moaning. And about something that hasn’t even happened yet. Your words reveal you.