Devin Hester to Seahawks

bigskydoc

Reaction score
IBleedBlueAndGreen":3rhn1ijf said:
Bryan Walters' mom would be an upgrade from Bryan Walters.

Anybody know how playoff signing like this affect the salary cap?

No effect. In fact, if we cut him before next season, his services will come with no monetary or cap cost to the Seahawks whatsoever. The only cost is the roster spot.

He can be worse than Walters. The one thing about him was that he was surehanded. Probably the best fair catcher the league has ever seen. Unfortunately, that's all he was. If Hester's fumbleitis returns, he could be more detrimental than Walters.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
chet380":2uvy8mxc said:
SoulfishHawk":2uvy8mxc said:
No, pure desperation is having your highest paid corner catching punts.
I love the move.

Having Kenny Easley running back punts and getting banged around was a factor in the injuries that shortened his career.

I think Advil did that, not punt returning.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
What, did Paul Richardson just cease to exist or something?

I dunno. Our ST blocking has sucked all year. Tyler Lockett never got much going even when he was healthy.

djb28

Reaction score
I thought Richardson was gonna be the man since we lost Tyler?

Edit.. Just saw the above post. But yeah.. What he said!

Hawkintent

Reaction score
I feel Paul Richardson never did much in the return game. More a straight line speed guy and not really a field awareness shiftiness about him.

I was kind of hoping Kevin Smith would have been signed instead of Kasen Williams because he was able to return kicks and punts while I don't see much different in WR production.

Hester will bring some added excitement to our team that the players will welcome I believe.

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
Gotta keep that head on a swivel Ryan

[youtube]Pv2tLAi2jNg[/youtube]

hawks85

Reaction score
didn't hester take it to the house on the opening kickoff in the super bowl. I can see it now lions kick off and announcers say its a deep kick into the endzone hester takes it out dodges one tackle oh my god he broke 2 more tackles hes to the 50 40 30 20 10 TOUCHDOWN SEAHAWKS. That would be nice.

Largent80

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":11km53ir said:
What, did Paul Richardson just cease to exist or something?

I dunno. Our ST blocking has sucked all year. Tyler Lockett never got much going even when he was healthy.

Yeah, we haven't been able to control gunners all year.

Seriously though when Lockett went down, I though about Hester and didn't even know he was available. This is really great news, plus he get's to be on a contender.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
Maybe Cable will try to turn him into a linemen too.......

nash72

Reaction score
This signing is meaningless. Hester is done, but he has the experience that will keep Sherman out of there so theres that I guess.

12thbrah

Reaction score
Regardless of how this turns out it will definitely make kickoffs and punt returns more interesting. I suppose anything that forces our opponent to actually make adjustments even to special teams is a good thing. Having our top cornerback in punt coverage is just a risk not worth taking.

Tusc2000

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":36g2x8ng said:
I don't love this move, but I understand it.

Yeah, totally agree. Even though Sherman was just in there too fair catch the punts, one cheap shot could knock him out of the game.

mikeak

Reaction score
nash72":117jla5w said:
This signing is meaningless. Hester is done, but he has the experience that will keep Sherman out of there so theres that I guess.

Couldn't disagree more

He may not do anything but that doesn't mean it is a meaningless signing. I think Devin has the highest percentage chances of actually playing that a signing this late can have.

I truly believe he will receive punts / kickoffs basically because we have nobody else doing it.

That makes it not meaningless. He will touch the ball four to five times in the Wild Card playoff game alone.....

Maybe he accomplishes nothing, but maybe he fumbles, maybe he scores, maybe he gets 10 yards.

It may be a low impact move but at no point is the signing of a guy that will get the ball minimum 4-5 times in one playoff game meaningless

RCATES

Reaction score
People who are doubting or against this move what type of return game game did we have before this? Even before Tyler's injury he didn't do anything this year. After his first injury he was lacking speed all year. Hester may be past his prime but I see a motivated skilled veteran who lost in a SB in 06 and this is likely his last shot at a ring. He's been dealing with a few injuries this year which is why his production #'s have been down. He may be healthy now who knows. He may not have his original speed but in the return game all you have to do is make a few guys miss and anything can happen. I'm stoked he's a Seahawk for our SB run.

Seymour

Reaction score
Largent80":297j28pq said:
At least there is a threat of a return with Hester in there.

And with that comes a threat of a game losing fumble. This guy is the anti-Pete and I have a tough time believing they picked him up. Yes, I'm going off recent history, but what better info do we have to predict the future?

mikeak

Reaction score
Largent80":21uuhmyn said:
At least there is a threat of a return with Hester in there.

agreed and it will force special team opponent to be played differently. They have to hold some back just a touch and not over pursue

bigskydoc

Reaction score
I get the move. If the punter knows that R.S. is receiving, and is only going to fair catch every punt, then there is no incentive to seek hang time. He or she will simply kick it as deep as possible without worrying about giving the coverage team time to get downfield.

At least with Hester, there is the threat of a return so the punter has to account for it. Even if Hester never returns it, the threat may give us an extra 20-30 yards per game of field position.

Bantrolls

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":2ivbrzau said:
http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2010-10-21/sports/sfl-devin-hester-pete-carroll-miami-hurricanes-102010_1_lane-kiffin-pete-carroll-usc

Fun story to revisit now that Hester is a Hawk
Lane Kiffin strikes again.