Devin Hester to Seahawks

nash72

Reaction score
pcbball12":qhxtn798 said:
I'm mostly with you on that Seymour. I dont mind the move at all, its just that I expect nothing from it. People are leaning on a reputation the guy earned years ago. He isnt that guy anymore.
That's the thing, no one is expecting the guy he used to be....nor does he have to be that guy for this to work. He was a legit 4.2 or low 4.3 speed early in his career. Even with a step lost, I am willing to bet he is still 4.48-4.52...which is plenty fast enough to house a kick if blocking is right. You don't lose vision and instincts. The guy has been fielding punts and kicks his whole career and is the best to ever do it. Even if he fair catches every single punt he gets, this is not a bad signing because I would much rather him back there than someone who has returned punts a few times in their whole career. Added, he also at least gives the threat of a return even if he has lost a step. If a special teams unit is not sound or is out of place, he still has the instincts and vision to make them pay for that.

Why did he get cut? Your overestimating his value.

nash72

Reaction score
bigskydoc":a7zdnuax said:
We don't need him to take one to the house for this to be successful. We only need him to not fumble, and to pick up any easy yards. If he averages 5 or more yards per punt return its a success. Not a resounding success, but a success.

And fumbling is exactly why he was available to us. Not real confidence inspiring.

Largent80

Reaction score
You know, the universe gives what you ask for if you are intentional. A few here are basically asking him to fumble.

uncle fester

Reaction score
At least Detroit's ST coaches are now preparing for a player that has the proven ability to return one, instead of looking at Sherman and saying 'well that's a fair catch every time, so let's go for a block on each punt'.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
uncle fester":2nthhrmx said:
At least Detroit's ST coaches are now preparing for a player that has the proven ability to return one, instead of looking at Sherman and saying 'well that's a fair catch every time, so let's go for a block on each punt'.

In Chess terms, we just turned a pawn into either a rook or a bishop. Something way more important than a pawn.

Largent80

Reaction score
Hester said he was close to signing a deal with the Patriots after he was released by Baltimore last month, but that the deal fell through when New England instead claimed wide receiver Michael Floyd off waivers from Arizona.

pcbball12

Reaction score
nash72":2wcfht4b said:
pcbball12":2wcfht4b said:
I'm mostly with you on that Seymour. I dont mind the move at all, its just that I expect nothing from it. People are leaning on a reputation the guy earned years ago. He isnt that guy anymore.
That's the thing, no one is expecting the guy he used to be....nor does he have to be that guy for this to work. He was a legit 4.2 or low 4.3 speed early in his career. Even with a step lost, I am willing to bet he is still 4.48-4.52...which is plenty fast enough to house a kick if blocking is right. You don't lose vision and instincts. The guy has been fielding punts and kicks his whole career and is the best to ever do it. Even if he fair catches every single punt he gets, this is not a bad signing because I would much rather him back there than someone who has returned punts a few times in their whole career. Added, he also at least gives the threat of a return even if he has lost a step. If a special teams unit is not sound or is out of place, he still has the instincts and vision to make them pay for that.

Why did he get cut? Your overestimating his value.
Because for the only time in his career he fumbled the ball too much. Is it possible he has the yips? Sure. But, I find it better to look at a guys entire career on that. He lost one of those five fumbles this year and none of us know the context to any of those fumbles. Like I said, I am not expecting the Hester of old...that would be ridiculous to expect that. But, there is still plenty of value in the signing.

Largent80

Reaction score
Here is a tidbit from our ST coach......

"I've never wanted to play him, I've never enjoyed playing against him," Seahawks special teams coordinator Brian Schneider said Wednesday. "And I assume most special teams coaches would say that because he's such a threat and he affects different things. He affects the way you punt the ball, kick the ball."

http://www.seattlepi.com/sports/footbal ... 835639.php

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
Seymour":61otgg9e said:
Largent80":61otgg9e said:
Seymour":61otgg9e said:
Largent80":61otgg9e said:
At least there is a threat of a return with Hester in there.

And with that comes a threat of a game losing fumble. This guy is the anti-Pete and I have a tough time believing they picked him up. Yes, I'm going off recent history, but what better info do we have to predict the future?

Why look at negatives?

Overall in his career he hasn't fumbled much. I think the chance at doing something special in the playoffs will keep him from doing it. Also, only 1 of those fumbles out of 5 were not recovered.

You call it negatives, I call it the latest facts.
I don't like the move, and would prefer to see Baldwin and Richardson share the duties. Reeks of a desperate move to me (that goes against the protect the ball mantra), and that often doesn't end well.

Until one of them gets hurt doing it. I wonder then, what would the narrative be. You same people would be on here slamming the fo because they didn't bring a guy in to do it. And you know I'm right. Any reason to bitch and moan, you all will find it.

mikeak

Reaction score
Largent80":32ntkn8y said:
He affects the way you punt the ball, kick the ball."

I wonder where I read this before...... seems like someone stated it somewhere (hint look above in a few different posts)

This is the thing. He can have zero return yards but he has to be respected and will lead to shorter kicks by the opponent compared to them punting to anyone already on our team

nash72

Reaction score
He sounds awesome. I wonder how he fell into our lap at this point in time. Oh yeah, he was cut. Like I said, I would rather it be Hester than Sherman, but he's still just a band aid instead of a weapon. He wont be on the team next season. Thats all you need to know.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
nash72":4s7x9p3d said:
He sounds awesome. I wonder how he fell into our lap at this point in time. Oh yeah, he was cut. Like I said, I would rather it be Hester than Sherman, but he's still just a band aid instead of a weapon. He wont be on the team next season. Thats all you need to know.

He was averaging 25 yards a kick return and 7.2 a punt return... Tyler Lockett was averaging about a yard more.

stats that one would seemingly "need to know"

nash72

Reaction score
We can only pray he'll pay off as much as that Jerry Rice signing did years ago for us.

nash72

Reaction score
Uncle Si":31g64pjp said:
nash72":31g64pjp said:

He was averaging 25 yards a kick return and 7.2 a punt return... Tyler Lockett was averaging about a yard more.

Again, its almost astonishing that he was available to us with stats like that.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
nash72":yylz49bs said:
Uncle Si":yylz49bs said:
nash72":yylz49bs said:

Again, its almost astonishing that he was available to us with stats like that.

Did someone suggest this free agent, off the street, signing was going to change the team's fortunes? I've only read skepticism, basic apathy and some hint at excitement.

A

Anonymous

Hey, my excitement is a smidge more than a hint.

I'd classify it as "semi-moderate enthusiasm".

Uncle Si

Reaction score
HoustonHawk82":313k2is3 said:
I'd classify it as "semi-moderate enthusiasm".

Semi-moderate?!?!

Whoa... calm down HH... it's not like the Beatles are reuniting.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
This could be a very good move or a total bust. I like it. Go big or go home.

All Hester needs is to break a few solid returns and it will be a solid move a return for 6 will make it a home run.

If nothing else the opponents will be concerned about kicking it to Hester.