Devin Hester to Seahawks

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I'd be really excited about this move if it was 2010.

But I'll take an old Hester over Sherman back there, he scares the hell out of me catching punts.

Can I ask why Doug isn't our PR now? He used to do it, and did it well.........and he has the best hands on the team. Pete says he doesn't worry about injuries, so it's a head scratcher why Doug isn't doing it to me.

nash72

Reaction score
mikeak":383s44k1 said:
nash72":383s44k1 said:
This signing is meaningless. Hester is done, but he has the experience that will keep Sherman out of there so theres that I guess.

Couldn't disagree more

He may not do anything but that doesn't mean it is a meaningless signing. I think Devin has the highest percentage chances of actually playing that a signing this late can have.

Good lord. Why is it so hard for some around here. Its not meaningless in the fact that it will keep Richard Sherman off the field during punts and kick offs so that he wont get hurt or turn the ball over due to his unfamiliarity with the position. Its also not meaningless as you said because Hester is going to play, but thats it. The guy has been done for years now (hence why he was cut and available to us at this time) so it is meaningless if you expect him to actually be anywhere near the player he was 5 or so years ago and be a threat to take one to the bank during every kick. He was signed out of desperation. Its not hard, try to keep up.

tacomahawk

Reaction score
nash72":8beokzht said:
mikeak":8beokzht said:
nash72":8beokzht said:
This signing is meaningless. Hester is done, but he has the experience that will keep Sherman out of there so theres that I guess.

Couldn't disagree more

He may not do anything but that doesn't mean it is a meaningless signing. I think Devin has the highest percentage chances of actually playing that a signing this late can have.

Good lord. Why is it so hard for some around here. Its not meaningless in the fact that it will keep Richard Sherman off the field during punts and kick offs so that he wont get hurt or turn the ball over due to his unfamiliarity with the position. Its also not meaningless as you said because Hester is going to play, but thats it. The guy has been done for years now (hence why he was cut and available to us at this time) so it is meaningless if you expect him to actually be anywhere near the player he was 5 or so years ago and be a threat to take one to the bank during every kick. He was signed out of desperation. Its not hard, try to keep up.

Can you please try to be a little less condescending to people please. People come here to discuss, and to learn things, and respect for other people and their views adds to a good experience.

Thanks

mikeak

Reaction score
nash72":2v6mg5kc said:
mikeak":2v6mg5kc said:
nash72":2v6mg5kc said:

Couldn't disagree more

Disagree and I will remain courteous about it and not rude like some people here that think other people's opinions are a personal attack on them...

Like bigskydoc points out - knowing the guy back there will try to return it changes the punting game.

Look at Ryan for instance who we all watch most of all the punters in the league. Have you seen him boom it from our 20 yard line to the opponents 20? I certainly have.

Have you seen him against dangerous punting return teams punt it a LOT shorter? I certainly have

Why is that do you think? It is a strategic play to give up yards to risk less bad impact. When teams like the Rams win a game against Seattle because of the returned punt then it is a bad thing. You rather lean on your defense.

Also opposite -- when you outkick your coverage big time then even an old dude that is good at this can break one free

So Detroit may be a lot more conservative and Hester fair catches every ball and you don't realize it but we just gained 10-20 yards in field position by this signing (obviously not on punts from 40-50 yard line). On the flip side if Seattle has a lead and we have Detroit pinned and they really try to help themselves in the field position game there is now the possibility that we get a huge return.

Having a 25% chance of a big return now vs 0% before plus an overall win in field position is not meaningless. It is potentially HUGE and either way it was a necessity to correct going into the playoffs.

Now I respect your opinion but believe it is wrong

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
Given his 8 years in Chicago, Devin should be a reliable catcher even in the cold - which on Saturday may be a good plus.

Clark the shark

Reaction score
“I wish him nothing but pain in his silly travels especially if they wind up in my octagon. Clearly I have defeated this earthworm with my words - imagine what I would have done with my fire breathing fists.”

Optimus25

Reaction score
I wonder if he'll get any snaps in the offense. Let alone his experience in Atlanta will probably have at least some usefulness next week.

nash72

Reaction score
mikeak":2erve04n said:
nash72":2erve04n said:
mikeak":2erve04n said:
nash72":2erve04n said:

Couldn't disagree more

Disagree and I will remain courteous about it and not rude like some people here that think other people's opinions are a personal attack on them...

Like bigskydoc points out - knowing the guy back there will try to return it changes the punting game.

Look at Ryan for instance who we all watch most of all the punters in the league. Have you seen him boom it from our 20 yard line to the opponents 20? I certainly have.

Have you seen him against dangerous punting return teams punt it a LOT shorter? I certainly have

Why is that do you think? It is a strategic play to give up yards to risk less bad impact. When teams like the Rams win a game against Seattle because of the returned punt then it is a bad thing. You rather lean on your defense.

Also opposite -- when you outkick your coverage big time then even an old dude that is good at this can break one free

So Detroit may be a lot more conservative and Hester fair catches every ball and you don't realize it but we just gained 10-20 yards in field position by this signing (obviously not on punts from 40-50 yard line). On the flip side if Seattle has a lead and we have Detroit pinned and they really try to help themselves in the field position game there is now the possibility that we get a huge return.

Having a 25% chance of a big return now vs 0% before plus an overall win in field position is not meaningless. It is potentially HUGE and either way it was a necessity to correct going into the playoffs.

Now I respect your opinion but believe it is wrong

Sorry I was rude to you in my first post. It was uncalled for.

Let me put it this way about the Devin Hester signing, at this point, Richard Sherman is more of a threat to run a punt or a kick off back than Devin Hester, but the Hawks cant gamble with that as Sherman needs to play defense for us. As for all the other points about punts and kick offs you made, they have validity and all teams practice the same mantra, but only a very few people have balls kicked away from them due to fear and Hester is certainly not one of those people at this point in his career. As a matter of fact, there is very little chance that Hester is even on a roster next season. He's done.

mikeak

Reaction score
^ We shall see

I think we both hope I am right :)

Kicking away is different than kicking shorter. Seahawks kick shorter in almost every single game not to outkick the coverage

Did you see the pregame videos from Sherman "catching" the football? It was horrific. He dropped almost everyone. He made zero attempts at returning any of them despite at least 2 of them being possible.....

I am banking on Hester thinking this is his last chance......

Largent80

Reaction score
Seymour":kikdkmnr said:
Largent80":kikdkmnr said:
At least there is a threat of a return with Hester in there.

And with that comes a threat of a game losing fumble. This guy is the anti-Pete and I have a tough time believing they picked him up. Yes, I'm going off recent history, but what better info do we have to predict the future?

Why look at negatives?

Overall in his career he hasn't fumbled much. I think the chance at doing something special in the playoffs will keep him from doing it. Also, only 1 of those fumbles out of 5 were not recovered.

Largent80

Reaction score
nash72":3e4isw0s said:
He's done.

No, he's NOT, he will be returning kicks for our Seahawks this Saturday. How about supporting rather than being so negative?

A

Anonymous

Welcome, Mr. Hester.

If memory serves, there is a SoundFX video blurb with Hester giving Pete grief over not recruiting him to USC out of high school. Can't remember whether it was before a Bears or a Falcons game, but it may have been shown on an Inside the NFL episode too.

I have a good feeling about this acquisition.

nash72

Reaction score
mikeak":14byowfo said:
Kicking away is different than kicking shorter. Seahawks kick shorter in almost every single game not to outkick the coverage

Yeah, its a high, short kick and I admit that it usually works out for us, but it also scares me because they are always returnable kicks and we'll get burnt sooner or later by one of them. Most teams just blast it out of the endzone or deep enough for no return back, but maybe Hauschka struggles to do that.

Did you see the pregame videos from Sherman "catching" the football? It was horrific. He dropped almost everyone. He made zero attempts at returning any of them despite at least 2 of them being possible.....

I am banking on Hester thinking this is his last chance......

Yeah Sherman was bobbling the ball for sure, but its not like Hester hasent had some recent fumbling issues too (he did get cut for a reason). Look, hes more qualified than Sherman back there and thats fine, but its just another band aid until next season.

mikeak

Reaction score
^ I am taking about punts. Ryan kicks shorter than he can to increase hang time every game. If Sherman was catching for the opponent we would not do this. Every punter in the league makes this adjustment and it is part of teams strategy based on opponent.

The kickoff strategy changed this year due to the moving of the first down at the 25 yard line. Hauschka can kick it out of the end zone with no problems. Same strategy is used by most teams including he "genius" that coaches NE

Seymour

Reaction score
Largent80":v3fvvecu said:
Seymour":v3fvvecu said:
Largent80":v3fvvecu said:

And with that comes a threat of a game losing fumble. This guy is the anti-Pete and I have a tough time believing they picked him up. Yes, I'm going off recent history, but what better info do we have to predict the future?

Why look at negatives?

Overall in his career he hasn't fumbled much. I think the chance at doing something special in the playoffs will keep him from doing it. Also, only 1 of those fumbles out of 5 were not recovered.

You call it negatives, I call it the latest facts.
I don't like the move, and would prefer to see Baldwin and Richardson share the duties. Reeks of a desperate move to me (that goes against the protect the ball mantra), and that often doesn't end well.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
ZorntoLargent":1bbnj3x9 said:
WestcoastSteve":1bbnj3x9 said:
Grahamhawker":1bbnj3x9 said:
In 2010 he averaged over 35 yards per kickoff and over 17 yards per punt return. Jeebus, I didn't know that was possible. Maybe he can flash again, or help coach up some of our youngsters.

We all know he used to be the best returner in the NFL, that was 7 years ago however...

This reminds me us of having Peter Warrick on our Super Bowl losing team

What about Leon Washington? Most career kickoff TD returns.

Leon still had some juice left. I am not too worried about KR's with P-rich, just punt returns

nash72

Reaction score
Seymour":23pu2yil said:
Largent80":23pu2yil said:
Seymour":23pu2yil said:
Largent80":23pu2yil said:

Why look at negatives?

You call it negatives, I call it the latest facts.
I don't like the move, and would prefer to see Baldwin and Richardson share the duties. Reeks of a desperate move to me (that goes against the protect the ball mantra), and that often doesn't end well.

I'm mostly with you on that Seymour. I dont mind the move at all, its just that I expect nothing from it. People are leaning on a reputation the guy earned years ago. He isnt that guy anymore.

pcbball12

Reaction score
I'm mostly with you on that Seymour. I dont mind the move at all, its just that I expect nothing from it. People are leaning on a reputation the guy earned years ago. He isnt that guy anymore.
That's the thing, no one is expecting the guy he used to be....nor does he have to be that guy for this to work. He was a legit 4.2 or low 4.3 speed early in his career. Even with a step lost, I am willing to bet he is still 4.48-4.52...which is plenty fast enough to house a kick if blocking is right. You don't lose vision and instincts. The guy has been fielding punts and kicks his whole career and is the best to ever do it. Even if he fair catches every single punt he gets, this is not a bad signing because I would much rather him back there than someone who has returned punts a few times in their whole career. Added, he also at least gives the threat of a return even if he has lost a step. If a special teams unit is not sound or is out of place, he still has the instincts and vision to make them pay for that.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
We don't need him to take one to the house for this to be successful. We only need him to not fumble, and to pick up any easy yards. If he averages 5 or more yards per punt return its a success. Not a resounding success, but a success.

Latest posts