Division Rivals

OP
OP
Seahawkfan80

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
KitsapGuy":z68bq4r6 said:
AZ was supposed to have a big announcement at 11 this morning. Anybody know what it was? Doesn't seem to be making any news. :yawn:

Hmmm...University of Phoenix Stadium to State Farm Stadium???? Just saw that.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1ipdomcv said:
KitsapGuy":1ipdomcv said:
AZ was supposed to have a big announcement at 11 this morning. Anybody know what it was? Doesn't seem to be making any news. :yawn:

They renamed their carport of a stadium State Farm Stadium, so there you go. Branding rights rename = "big announcement."

So no more University of Phoenix Stadium?

I gotta admit, I miss those old names. Niners are no better with Levis, but I wish we had like the Kingdome, the Astrodome, Three Rivers, Joe Robbie and Candlestick. I miss the non-corporate entity named stadiums.

As much as I can't stand the teams, it least we still have Lambeau and Soldier Field.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
Thanks.

Some were speculating that they were going to extend their RB. :?

[tweet]https://twitter.com/AZCardinals/status/1037040797953093632[/tweet]

OP
OP
Seahawkfan80

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Marvin49":3eeww5eh said:
Sgt. Largent":3eeww5eh said:
KitsapGuy":3eeww5eh said:

They renamed their carport of a stadium State Farm Stadium, so there you go. Branding rights rename = "big announcement."

So no more University of Phoenix Stadium?

I gotta admit, I miss those old names. Niners are no better with Levis, but I wish we had like the Kingdome, the Astrodome, Three Rivers, Joe Robbie and Candlestick. I miss the non-corporate entity named stadiums.

As much as I can't stand the teams, it least we still have Lambeau and Soldier Field.

Agree with the above about the sponsored stadiums. They get funding from corporate sponsors to name a stadium. Went to Lambeau last year. Was a great experience. Friends are going to Soldier this year.

Not to derail this but I see a lot of sponsorships on golf too. I dont even know what the tournament was now before they changed it. But that is the way the Dollar rentacar bounces. :p

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I think PNC bought the rights to Soldier Field a couple years ago, but it's not plastered all over the stadium.

But yes, I agree the old names were awesome.

- The Stick
- The Murph
- Three River
- Lambeau
- The Coliseum
- The Swamp
- Wrigley
- Fenway
- Augusta

If you needed more than 2-3 words, you were doing it wrong.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Ramfan128":2vqn9w6f said:
adeltaY":2vqn9w6f said:
Jimmy G and Goff would have to put up two really good seasons and Wilson two really bad seasons for them to overtake him IMO. Just like how Matt Ryan and Cam Newton's MVP seasons didn't make them better than Drew. Both fell off in the next year while Drew stayed Drew.

This is a pretty good example.

But IMO Drew Brees >>> Russell Wilson. So if somehow Goff did win the MVP this year, I would probably rank him over Wilson.

That's very unlikely to happen though, obviously.

Otherwise I agree with the good seasons needed for Goff to start bridging the gap.

I wouldn't. I'd need to see it for two years. Brees is better than Wilson, yes, but Ryan and Newton are better than Goff and Jimmy G. Wilson has had above average to great seasons every year for six years. It's going to take more than one amazing year from either of those guys to knock him off. I'd say the same if the positions were reversed.

Not that Goff is likely to win MVP IMO. He isn't even the most likely player on his own team to win MVP, which is rare for a QB. I think Jimmy G has a better shot.

Marvin49

Reaction score
adeltaY":1kvw15cg said:
Ramfan128":1kvw15cg said:
adeltaY":1kvw15cg said:
Jimmy G and Goff would have to put up two really good seasons and Wilson two really bad seasons for them to overtake him IMO. Just like how Matt Ryan and Cam Newton's MVP seasons didn't make them better than Drew. Both fell off in the next year while Drew stayed Drew.

This is a pretty good example.

But IMO Drew Brees >>> Russell Wilson. So if somehow Goff did win the MVP this year, I would probably rank him over Wilson.

That's very unlikely to happen though, obviously.

Otherwise I agree with the good seasons needed for Goff to start bridging the gap.

I wouldn't. I'd need to see it for two years. Brees is better than Wilson, yes, but Ryan and Newton are better than Goff and Jimmy G. Wilson has had above average to great seasons every year for six years. It's going to take more than one amazing year from either of those guys to knock him off. I'd say the same if the positions were reversed.

Not that Goff is likely to win MVP IMO. He isn't even the most likely player on his own team to win MVP, which is rare for a QB. I think Jimmy G has a better shot.

Regardless of who the best QB in the West is, it is interesting that there has been a dramatic shift in the QBs in the division in just a few short years.

RedAlice

Reaction score
Marvin49":1lweeju4 said:
Sgt. Largent":1lweeju4 said:
Marvin49":1lweeju4 said:
Either its a speculation thread or its not. Which is it? By which benchmark are we grading?

Huh?

I'm not speculating one bit. Russell is the best QB in the west because.................stats and facts. That's all that matters in this conversation.

The question wasn't "who WILL be the best QB", it was "who IS the best QB."

Now you guys are trying to blur the conversation with "well we don't know who the best is until it happens." It has happened, and it's Russell, by a mile.

OK, if that's the measuring stick, then RW has had by far the best career to date. Not even debatable.

TRUE.

But, I thought the question was this season?

As in, best QB this season.

mrt144

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2tcubg1m said:
KitsapGuy":2tcubg1m said:

Man, if it wasn't for the winter days in Arizona that place would be totally worthless. What a soul sucking void of culture. Should turn the entire state into a nature preserve.

adeltaY

Reaction score
RedAlice":o01nthwv said:
Marvin49":o01nthwv said:
Sgt. Largent":o01nthwv said:
Marvin49":o01nthwv said:
Either its a speculation thread or its not. Which is it? By which benchmark are we grading?

Huh?

I'm not speculating one bit. Russell is the best QB in the west because.................stats and facts. That's all that matters in this conversation.

The question wasn't "who WILL be the best QB", it was "who IS the best QB."

Now you guys are trying to blur the conversation with "well we don't know who the best is until it happens." It has happened, and it's Russell, by a mile.

OK, if that's the measuring stick, then RW has had by far the best career to date. Not even debatable.

TRUE.

That is why we are talking past each other. Best QB in a given season is up for grabs every season. Best QB overall requires looking at the player's entire body of work.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
This thread is why we need a remedial section.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
RedAlice":3ghotf4l said:
TRUE.

Go for it, why do you think it'll be another QB other than Russell this year?

adeltaY

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":9etjc1ub said:
RedAlice":9etjc1ub said:
TRUE.

I wouldn't bet on it, but it's entirely possible Goff and/or Garoppolo have better stats than Wilson this year because they have better lines, supporting casts, and playcallers.

chris98251

Reaction score
adeltaY":3jgp7h9f said:
Sgt. Largent":3jgp7h9f said:
RedAlice":3jgp7h9f said:
TRUE.

I wouldn't bet on it, but it's entirely possible Goff and/or Garoppolo have better stats than Wilson this year because they have better lines, supporting casts, and playcallers.

Considering what Wilson has played behind and his stats being pretty damn good to date I would not sell him ( here it comes) SHORT. :p

Fade

Reaction score
https://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/8wfbc0/russell_wilson_vs_brady_brees_and/
2015-2017

Russell hangs with Brees just fine. Now factor in RWs rushing stats.

Now factor in who has the better playcaller, O-Line, & run game through this period of time. Who has had the worst defense that would allow them to get into shoot-outs to up their passing numbers, or get the opportunity to pad their stats in garbage time.

People continue to sleep on Russell Wilson, and I will never understand it.

He has performed modern miracles playing behind a dumpster fire O-Line, with a jobless, uninspired OC calling the plays for years.

Pair Wilson with Payton, Shanahan, Reed, Pederson, etc and he would shatter the record book.

For now he will have to settle for being just the 2nd highest rated passer of All-Time sandwiched between Aaron Rodgers & Tom Brady. While simultaneously being one of the greatest scrambling QBs of all-time.

RedAlice

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2ukyctfj said:
RedAlice":2ukyctfj said:
TRUE.

I think it’s possible this year. Don’t worry, I’m not disparaging what Wilson has already accomplished.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
I think it will be Rodgers this season at first glance

NJlargent

Reaction score
Vikes 10-0 over niners. Garapolo has been irrelevant