Earl Thomas expected to report week 1

AgentDib

Reaction score
DJrmb":13u86eh7 said:
Who do you cut to make room for Earl? Hill? Luani? Someone else?
Delano Hill would make it to the practice squad no problem.

OP
OP
H

Hollandhawk

Reaction score
Tical21":2sc9t1c0 said:
FWIW, he's absolutely being disrespected by the Seahawks by their unwillingness to work with him on a contract.

So players holding out should be negotiated with? I'm sure that won't cause more holdouts. :roll:

JGreen79

Reaction score
Tical21":3uj3zttn said:
He went into the other team's locker room after a game? N0ooooooo!! The horror!!!! He can never play for us again!!!!!

Everyone's acting like they have never looked for a new job or tried to get a raise while currently employed.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Trrrroy":193g3sxl said:
GermanKicker23":193g3sxl said:
Rookie Question: Can we Franchise Tag Earl Thomas next Year? Only out of interest.

Yes. But there would be another holdout.

And another year of retaining his rights to trade him.

Believe me, if Earl balls out this year and we don't reach an extension agreement with him.......he WILL be franchised. The tag for safeties is only a million more than he's making now, we'd be stupid not to franchise him and just get a 3rd round comp pick or whatever.

If he plays poorly and/or gets hurt again? See ya.

JGreen79

Reaction score
Hollandhawk":2d1npnvc said:
Tical21":2d1npnvc said:
FWIW, he's absolutely being disrespected by the Seahawks by their unwillingness to work with him on a contract.

So players holding out should be negotiated with? I'm sure that won't cause more holdouts. :roll:

Walter Jones held out three straight years before playing 4 years of a 7 year deal.

Seymour

Reaction score
Tical21":132qruz9 said:

Bologna. It's called learning from past mistakes and NOT paying top $$ for aging vets that are declining in health and production.

We made him the highest paid safety in the league, and now do not see that value and want to move on.

It's called smart business decisions.

You must seriously disrespect the Patriots and their 5 rings. :roll:

kidhawk

Reaction score
JGreen79":3r8nupg9 said:
Hollandhawk":3r8nupg9 said:
Tical21":3r8nupg9 said:

Walter Jones held out three straight years before playing 4 years of a 7 year deal.

I could be remembering this incorrectly, but I believe Jones' situation was that he was franchised and didn't sign his tender until the end of the pre season. Technically not a holdout as he wasn't technically under contract.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Hollandhawk":kxrzeti9 said:
Tical21":kxrzeti9 said:

The Seahawks unwillingness to work with him on a contract could be the reason for his holdout in the first place.

Jac

Reaction score
vin.couve12":1jj3sopb said:
Who cares. This is hopefully a face saving prelude to trade.

Yeah, otherwise we're paying a 2nd round pick (Dallas's rumored offer) for one year of (disgruntled) service, while taking away a developmental year for Thompson. I mean you could franchise him, but I'm not sure that makes sense for a 30-year old safety who has been wanting out. So, they either plan to extend him, still plan to trade him...or are willing to forego a second round pick to get one last year.

Gibbo

Reaction score
Tical21":2ez0ia8h said:
He went into the other team's locker room after a game? N0ooooooo!! The horror!!!! He can never play for us again!!!!!

It was more than this though wasn’t it.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
I’m wondering and hoping that maybe the disrespect he’s talking about is the rest of the league in their lack of desire to trade something worthwhile for him. If so, let him take it out on the opponents.

JGreen79

Reaction score
kidhawk":240hd947 said:
JGreen79":240hd947 said:
Hollandhawk":240hd947 said:
Tical21":240hd947 said:

I could be remembering this incorrectly, but I believe Jones' situation was that he was franchised and didn't sign his tender until the end of the pre season. Technically not a holdout as he wasn't technically under contract.

In 2002 he was franchised tagged, the team was unable to negotiate a long term deal until he signed the tag. He signed it prior to week three after seattle was 0-2.

I guess what I'm trying to say is holdouts happen. Earl is not the first and will not be the last. The team is better with him and he has always gone all out on the field.

kidhawk

Reaction score
JGreen79":15744dwk said:
kidhawk":15744dwk said:
JGreen79":15744dwk said:
Hollandhawk":15744dwk said:

In 2002 he was franchised tagged, the team was unable to negotiate a long term deal until he signed the tag. He signed it prior to week three after seattle was 0-2.

Which still isn't a holdout as he hadn't signed the deal, so he wasn't under contract to be here. This is different than Earl or Kam who were under contract and thus held out.

Maulbert

Reaction score
Good god, would you read this horseshit:

Getting a second-round pick back in exchange for Thomas seems like a good deal; the San Francisco 49ers gave the Patriots a second-round pick for Jimmy Garoppolo and he’s a franchise quarterback.

Nothing against Garoppolo, outside of him being on our rivals, but he was an unproven backup (some would say still unproven) who the Patriots had to deal. He was getting starter money from somewhere, and it wasn't coming from the Patriot bench. The Hawks still want Earl as a starter and he's still under contract for the season.

https://sports.yahoo.com/reports-ea...s-seattle-turned-cowboys-offer-163320763.html

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
If cowboys finally upped to a 2nd round pick as has been reported, we should absolutely take it.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
My guess is that Simeon Thomas or Luani gets waived and added to PS after they clear waivers. Doubt they release Hill. He can now be moved to SS backup which is the better role for him anyway.

kobebryant

Reaction score
Business is business. Come back and ball out on Sundays. He's a gamer that always plays all out.

TruHawkFan9.0

Reaction score
kidhawk":2itl5trp said:
JGreen79":2itl5trp said:
kidhawk":2itl5trp said:
JGreen79":2itl5trp said:

Which still isn't a holdout as he hadn't signed the deal, so he wasn't under contract to be here. This is different than Earl or Kam who were under contract and thus held out.

Yeah maybe technically different... But if this message board was around during Jones not signing his contract & the Hawks starting 0-2 he'd be getting blasted just the same.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
Gibbo":10qmp79d said:
Tical21":10qmp79d said:

It was more than this though wasn’t it.

Yep. Tical is downplaying it a bit.