Huskies At Boise

hawknation2015

Reaction score
JSeahawks":1kc874hx said:
Boise is trying to give this game away, but uw's offense won't take it.

That was terribly close to a completion on 3rd and 1. Brutal game.

One last chance to win the game for the Huskies.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Hahaha that was awesome. Boise did everything they could to let Washington force OT, and those fun Huskies just didn't want to do it.

drrew

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1hfwempa said:
Defense is playing like a bunch of p*ssies.
I am actually disgusted to see the crap version of defense that they are playing.
Gross.

I think that last word is a great description of your assessment.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Browning shouldn't be a starting QB on a competent team.

How bad are the other Husky QBs for a green as grass to start, one with such obvious accuracy and aggressiveness issues ?(half the game makes Captain Checkdown look like Rex Grossman by comparison).

Not saying he cannot be good later, but he isn't ready yet.

Another year of incompetent QB play??? I just don't understand how a coach that has won so many games in the past can make such bad roster decisions.

That end of game kick is pretty much a sign that Chris is turning into the 2nd coming of Ty Willy, with the exception that he isn't the d*ckhead that Ty was. We were clearly playing for that kick, instead of trying to win.

Best case with that kick was a tie, on the road in a visiting stadium. So far, this is a sign that Petersen is a great lower tier conference coach that simply won't be able to do it consistently on the bigger stage.

We will see, but the signs (after a year with this guy) point to a guy that won't be more than mediocre in his new position. Basically we got the Crabtree of coaches. Yay.

Stuck for the next 2 years seeing if this can be turned around but right now, looks like they rolled the dice and didn't get much on the roll. Hopefully I am wrong.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1ad90w1g said:
That end of game kick is pretty much a sign that Chris is turning into the 2nd coming of Ty Willy, with the exception that he isn't the d*ckhead that Ty was. We were clearly playing for that kick, instead of trying to win.

Maybe if there wasn't a holding penalty followed by a sack Petersen would have been more inclined to not try and settle for 3.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
Made a game of it at the end but that penalty and the sack killed us.

That QB doesnt even look old enough to shave.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
You are right.

There are a lot of missing pieces on that team.

Not one RB looks even remotely quick or fast. So we either have RBs all having a bad day, or RBs with very little burst/quickness and not that much power to offset that weakness.

Then the QB isn't throwing past the sticks, and when he does - it isn't near his receivers. Some of that might be on them too. But he looks and plays like a kid, not a college football player. Not his fault, he shouldn't have been starting.

Then the defense is just passive and unwilling to do the #2 job of defense. 1st job is to prevent, 2nd job is to punish. Those guys reach and pull people to the ground. Even worse, they miss.

In short, not much to work with. Boise State TRIED to give Washington the game but there wasn't enough aggression in the Washington side to take it.

Now whose fault is it? The coach for using an ineffective QB? Then who should be the QB? The guy that couldn't beat an inaccurate QB that literally the entire city of Seattle HATED last year? Or the new guy who apparently cannot even throw but just comes in to hand the ball to the slow RB?

The problem is that the team has little to work with, but last year they had a lot of pieces that our coach just used poorly. So it becomes hard to give him a pass with so many guys moving to the NFL from those shelves.

But some of that losing looks to be the direct result of bad decisions by the coach, bad decisions that look to be repeating in new ways this year. So how can you be anything but wary about what the future holds then?

Tical21

Reaction score
More Sideline Sally football? More? Didn't we see a whole year of that ineffective crap last year. Let the kid try to throw the freaking ball. Peterson is a gutless wuss. Get him outta here.

OP
OP
KitsapGuy

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/Softykjr/status/640039975392710656[/tweet]

Haven't watched the game. But was this a case of Pete making good adjustments at the half? Or was it something else?

kearly

Reaction score
Jake Browning showed some impressive things that make me think he could be a good QB down the road. He felt pressure and extended plays while keeping his eyes downfield. He scrambled for yards. He had a good presence of mind and never made a major mistake. I think his horrible YPA was really more of a testament to just how bad the supporting cast played.

But given how big a mess the entire offense is right now, it might be best to bench Browning and have him redshirt the season. Have him learn in practices. It sucks to think we might miss a great Redshirt senior campaign in four years because we had to see Browning wallow in a lost season.

This game was a total cripple fight. Boise State fans probably feel a lot like UW fans did last year when they squeaked by Hawaii.

Overall, the Huskies looked a lot better on defense than I was expecting. But the offense looked much worse. The OL needs to get things figured out in the run game, and the WRs need to figure out how to get open. Watching the Huskies in this game felt like watching the '92 Seahawks.

CPHawk

Reaction score
KitsapGuy":1gk103br said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/Softykjr/status/640039975392710656[/tweet]

Haven't watched the game. But was this a case of Pete making good adjustments at the half? Or was it something else?

Yeah, he realized the Boise qb was even worse than Browning, and decided all he had to do is stop the RB.

dumbrabbit

Reaction score
I'll start off by saying that I'm a Bronco fan. Went to the game. Jake Browning has a lot of potential. If that punt return for a TD never happened, I wonder what would have happened. More than likely it could have been a rout, and Jake Browning probably doesn't get his credit.

He's a true freshman, he made a few mistakes but, in my opinion, he played much better than Ryan Finley. I thought Finley did decent but our o-line felt like a Seahawks game. They just kept opening holes for the defense. The whole game felt choppy. BSU should have dominated. It could have been worse for UW.

I thought for sure it would be a rout, I mean, it was 16-0 at halftime. But you can never count out Pete's teams.

The reason Pete lost a lot last year was because he didn't have his own personnel on the field. He was trying to get a feel for guys that he didn't recruit. And it also hurt that Cyler Miles was his QB. I think he'll win more games this year.

Anyway, I'm a UW fan now for the rest of the season.

CPHawk

Reaction score
dumbrabbit":oneo2u2j said:
I'll start off by saying that I'm a Bronco fan. Went to the game. Jake Browning has a lot of potential. If that punt return for a TD never happened, I wonder what would have happened. More than likely it could have been a rout, and Jake Browning probably doesn't get his credit.

He's a true freshman, he made a few mistakes but, in my opinion, he played much better than Ryan Finley. I thought Finley did decent but our o-line felt like a Seahawks game. They just kept opening holes for the defense. The whole game felt choppy. BSU should have dominated. It could have been worse for UW.

I thought for sure it would be a rout, I mean, it was 16-0 at halftime. But you can never count out Pete's teams.

The reason Pete lost a lot last year was because he didn't have his own personnel on the field. He was trying to get a feel for guys that he didn't recruit. And it also hurt that Cyler Miles was his QB. I think he'll win more games this year.

Of course you're a husky fan the rest of the year, because you don't want your biggest win to be against a 3 win team.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
CPHawk":2zo1egc7 said:
dumbrabbit":2zo1egc7 said:

Of course you're a husky fan the rest of the year, because you don't want your biggest win to be against a 3 win team.

Do you think they can win 3 games??? Would that be optimistic??

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
If you are going to make mistakes, make mistakes of aggression - not unwillingness to take chances.

The coaching of that game like an actuary instead of a football coach is what upsets me.

And while the defense at least started playing real football in the 2nd half, we still are left with questions about Petersen's judgement. This is a guy that let Cyler Miles play for UW last year, even though most of the city of Seattle hated him AND he was perhaps the worst QB as far as accuracy ever to wear the Purple and Gold. That includes a stretch of horrible QBs in the Gilbertson era.

I guess the New Huskies are simply a treadmill team. Just trotting along, never quite losing enough, never quite winning much. I don't expect much anymore. I certainly don't go to games anymore.

I understand how hard these kids work. I get the sacrifices they make to play, have seen it first hand with people I knew that played there.

But now the Huskies are just one of those teams in the Pac12 that you routinely run over and maybe occasionally stumble over, when you are one of the better teams in teh Pac12. Maybe they are the #5 or #6 in the group of 12. Maybe worse.

Either way, the Petersen era has some indicators that point to this being a .500 team for the near future. OKG? (*Our Kinda Guy) Football players are rarely OKG types, they are controlled violence harnessed to do a job on the football field.

I dropped from optmistic to skeptic to borderline pessimist in this game. But I think given how long it has been since the Huskies produced anything close to a dangerous football team - maybe the problem is just my expectations. I should treat the Huskies like I treat the Mariners. I should watch them when they come on and hey, if someone I like to see play is playing - great. But I shouldn't care if they win or lose, because it won't matter in the end.

Being a Husky fan is something like being a Lions fan. Sometimes you have good players but the team never really accomplishes anything, so you just have to realize that when root for them.