I still haven't watched the SuperBowl.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
drdiags":o5cttl72 said:
I avoid reading about the game and haven't watched the recording of it, most likely will not for quite some time (years, if ever). I have only seen clips of XL as well though I probably could watch the entire game now.

Still at least for XLIX I know that the entire country got to see a game that was memorable and entertaining. If Lynch scores from the 5 yd line, I probably am on my 20th view of the game and would be accused of slacking by others here who would be on their 100th or greater viewing.

Aaaah, what could have been. I picked the wrong week to stop drinking or sniffing glue.
Ah, Airplane, one of my favorite movies of all time.

Nope not going to watch XLIX, I think that will make me severely dislike our OC even more than I already do.
Trying to look forward and watching "I'm Jimmy" score a ton of TD's :)

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Evil_Shenanigans":1airz47m said:
Have it on my DVR, have yet to re watch it! I did however watch the last 7 minutes of the NFCCG again yesterday and I am still smiling because of it! Anyone with SAD or otherwise feeling a little glum would do well to do the same on this dreary rainy afternoon!
My happy place is XLVIII. Surprised I haven't worn that thing out yet as I've watched it so many times. 8)

MrThortan

Reaction score
I watched the Hawks beat Denver about a dozen times. I pains me to even post in this thread.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1bjfjvi2 said:
drdiags":1bjfjvi2 said:
....I picked the wrong week to stop drinking or sniffing glue.
Ah, Airplane, one of my favorite movies of all time.......
:13:

"We have clearance, Clarence
Roger, Roger
What's our vector, Victor?"

"A hospital? Doctor, what is it?
It's a big building with patients but that's not important now."

"Surely you aren't serious!
I am serious, and don't call me Shirley."

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. Now back to our regularly scheduled thread........................

BlueThunder

Reaction score
Atradees":3866mrv5 said:
It was a great game

It could be hailed the greatest game ever played, but it would always be the worst to me.

Good to hear I'm not alone, but I can one-up you guys... I started freaking out over some miscues in the second half and couldn't take it anymore. I stormed out and went for a walk to calm down, knowing I had the game safely recording on my trusty DVR. When I returned, in what I felt was enough time for the game to conclude, I could see on my tv through the window on my front door that the wrong color confetti was falling... I bolted straight for the remote and deleted the game and all the pre-game and anything I had recorded for the run-up to the game. So... I never even saw the 4th quarter. I never had the pain of that last play or how it even got to that play seared into my brain to haunt me forever. Couple that with the alcohol affecting my memory and only seeing the first 3 quarters once, that whole day is like a black hole that never even existed. That's how much that 2 seconds of gameplay altered my destiny (not like I own the rights to that!). It went from watching everything I had recorded over and over and over again 'till the end of time, not to mention all the newspapers and magazines and Blu-Ray's and swag that never got bought.... to just another Sunday way back when that I don't even really remember.
That is what I am in deep mourning over... The loss of all the joy and tears (the good kind!), the loss of the rarest of rare repeat Championships that would have etched the Seahawks into NFL history and opened the opportunity for the first ever three-peat (in of all places, Levi stadium!). It also pretty much rendered the miracle comeback in the NFCCG moot. Well, maybe not moot, but ruined what appeared to be our destiny, whatever that means... Damn, now I'm bummed again. But at least I got it off my chest and it helps knowing that most Seahawks fans appear to feel exactly like I do.
But anyhoo, now we got Jimmy and the rest of the league is scared to death of us! I know, I read their forums! And if we can go to and win SB50, going to three straight SB's and coming out 2-1 would be pretty frickin' impressive! So I have pretty much put it behind me, and I'm getting really excited about the upcoming season! Gonna be a good'n!

GO SEAHAWKS!!!

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
This is nowhere near the pain that XL was, Mark.

I'd watch it at some point. Really not comparable. Heartbreaking, but in a different and more legitimate way. Hard to explain, really.

bellingerga

Reaction score
RockHawk":3verku5o said:
So I consider myself a very reasonable and logical person in everything I do, so it seems extremely ridiculous that I still haven't watched a single minute of my team in SuperBowl 49 after witnessing the game in person. Whenever I read about Chris Matthew's incredible game, or the 2 minute drive prior to both halves, I get myself psyched up to sit and watch it... but then I don't.

This isn't the first time. After sitting beside Aros and watching SBXL in Detroit, I've still never watched any part of that fiasco on film.

So what is it with my otherwise stable psyche that makes me unable to put aside the final outcome (especially the final play) and sit to enjoy the game for the excellent showing that it was? Is it just a small number of folks like me, or a larger section?

maybe for different reasons, maybe not, but I'm right there with ya man.

I have to just put such dissapointing games behind me or I just end up feeling bad and obsessing over the "what could have been" aspect.

OP
OP
RockHawk

RockHawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":16tif7p2 said:

I'd watch it at some point. Really not comparable. Heartbreaking, but in a different and more legitimate way. Hard to explain, really.

Agreed James, and it wasn't my intent to say it was similar reasons. I won't watch XL because outside forces prevented us from having a shot at winning, but this is very different in that I can't get past the "could have, should have" aspect. As BlueThunder noted, it's ridiculous that a game could have such an emotional and psychological impact on an otherwise sane and healthy human. It's basically the opposite of the euphoria i had after SB38.

I hoped talking about it and getting some sense that others feel the same would make me feel better, but I'm still pissed damn it!!!

grizbob

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":9h5y0o3u said:

Well, you've got a brain dead guy here that totally understands what you're saying FWIW :th2thumbs:

Tical21

Reaction score
I actually never watched 48 again. I want that memory to stay the way it is.

I have watched the offensive plays on wide tape of 49 again to diagnose our problems in the passing game. Unfortunately, I found that our bad plays usually were not the fault of the WR's, Line, or OC.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I will never watch that 1st Super Bowl again ever.The second I would but the third I dunno it was a fair called game but that ending was not something I care to see ever again.I feel like we won all three despite what any record says.

evergreen

Reaction score
What about the end we didn't have? This one took place after the int. In this ending our D showed how awesome they are and stuffed the QB sneak for a safety. Then after a quick RO play a winning field goal that would make it the best game ever...

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
I watched it for the first time last weekend. It was mostly a good game. Michael Bennett was a stud. NE put Browner on Chris Matthews and that ended that fun.

Go ahead and watch, you'll be fine. Just skip the last 30 seconds.

BlueThunder

Reaction score
RockHawk":1mhfdu3b said:
As BlueThunder noted, it's ridiculous that a game could have such an emotional and psychological impact on an otherwise sane and healthy human.

Well... Lets not go overboard here...

Oh, and about your avatar pic Mark... You look nuthin' like I imagined!

;) :D

two dog

Reaction score
I never have and never will watch Super Bowl 40 or 49 again.

But I've watched Super Bowl 48 enough times to make up for it.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
RockHawk":2zca8voh said:
Agreed James, and it wasn't my intent to say it was similar reasons. I won't watch XL because outside forces prevented us from having a shot at winning, but this is very different in that I can't get past the "could have, should have" aspect. As BlueThunder noted, it's ridiculous that a game could have such an emotional and psychological impact on an otherwise sane and healthy human. It's basically the opposite of the euphoria i had after SB38.

I hoped talking about it and getting some sense that others feel the same would make me feel better, but I'm still pissed damn it!!!
Aye, I know what you meant; just saying, I don't think re-watching 49 will be as bad as you're fearing. Only one way to find out, though; and if it is, well...I guess you can just blame me. 8)

SoCalSeahawk

Reaction score
RockHawk":22qyqgwj said:
So I consider myself a very reasonable and logical person in everything I do, so it seems extremely ridiculous that I still haven't watched a single minute of my team in SuperBowl 49 after witnessing the game in person. Whenever I read about Chris Matthew's incredible game, or the 2 minute drive prior to both halves, I get myself psyched up to sit and watch it... but then I don't.

This isn't the first time. After sitting beside Aros and watching SBXL in Detroit, I've still never watched any part of that fiasco on film.

So what is it with my otherwise stable psyche that makes me unable to put aside the final outcome (especially the final play) and sit to enjoy the game for the excellent showing that it was? Is it just a small number of folks like me, or a larger section?

I had been avoiding it, but it was up on NFL Rewind Friday night. I didn't know, but my TV was on NFL Network when I shut down Netflix and there it was. In my Friday night semi-stupor I mistakenly thought I would be OK to watch it. I would have been alright if I had turned it off when Marshawn went down at the one-and-a-half. But I watched the play. And it pissed me off all over again! My dog got to hear my rendition of Darrell Bevell followed by every single swear word in the English language; twice. Right or wrong, it was my natural response. And although juvenile, it was therapeutic.

I think I'm good now...it was still a stupid play call though.

ivotuk

Reaction score
I haven't watched it either. I've recorded the Seahawks games in the "Best 20 games" on NFLN but haven't watched any of those either.

I think it's the tragic way in which we lost that makes it so difficult to deal with. It's painfully obvious that the way the last play went down that it effected the players too.

I don't think the healing process well begin until our Seahawks get back on the field again to play a regular season game. That's when we can start putting the loss of Superbowl 49 behind us and start looking forward to winning Superbowl 50 in the 49ers house :)