I still haven't watched the SuperBowl.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Remember that wonderful piece Aros penned about the "5 Stages of Grief?"

Wish I could find that, it definitely helped.

LudwigsDrummer

Reaction score
I watched SB48 probably 20 or 30 times.
I haven't made it past halftime for SB49.

Let's spank our opponent in SB50.

TXHawk

Reaction score
After the game I refused to watch or listen to any sports channels or shows or read any sports related websites for about three weeks because I couldn't bear to hear about the loss. I've never rewatched SB XL and I doubt I ever will this one either. The ending is just too painful.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Tical21":opgo1d5y said:
.......I have watched the offensive plays on wide tape of 49 again to diagnose our problems in the passing game. Unfortunately, I found that our bad plays usually were not the fault of the WR's, Line, or OC.
Oh wow I'm shocked you of all people would say that.
:sarcasm_off:

Tical21

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":3moart2z said:
Tical21":3moart2z said:
.......I have watched the offensive plays on wide tape of 49 again to diagnose our problems in the passing game. Unfortunately, I found that our bad plays usually were not the fault of the WR's, Line, or OC.
Oh wow I'm shocked you of all people would say that.
:sarcasm_off:
I went into the exercise trying to prove how inept our receivers were at getting open against man coverage. Unfortunately, I couldn't make that conclusion. We saw man, cover 1 a huge percentage of the time. Bevell called routes that consistently work against cover 1. There were windows to complete passes, sometimes guys were even wide open. Russell calmed down a bit, worked some comeback routes, and hit a couple fades, but that whole first quarter plus, where we didn't have any first downs, was almost exclusively on Russell not pulling the trigger or finding open guys. For example, 3rd and seven, we call slants. His primary target was the X and the X won his route, and was there for a routine, easy completion and first down. Russell chose to eat it. There was one example where ALL FOUR receivers in the route won their routes, two of them becoming WIDE open, and Russell chose to stand there and pat the ball.

Like I said, I was intending to make an argument that Russell didn't have anybody open, to try to justify the need for possibly overpaying for a WR, but for the most part, the WR's weren't the problem. Watch the all-22 for yourself if you don't believe me.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Largent80":26c27hqa said:
I also did the immediate delete, no interest whatsoever, and I had actually taped XL, and took it to the garage and band sawed that sucker in half.

I wish people would quit making threads about the final play. It isn't therapeutic in any way for me to talk, listen or watch any of it.

Shoot, we practically need a special area of .NET set up for SB49 rehashing, out of the main forum.
Any threads that get started on "The Pick" (and SB49 in general) wind up attracting a lot of scab-ripped-off-the-wound types of emotional responses. The threads get crapped on/in, including by top .NET posters who are tired of rehashing.

Putting in a separate area would allow those who have a different emotional processing timetable to discuss it without triggering posters in the main forum.

At first I enjoyed discussing The Pick and learning more about the play, but these days there's really nothing new, and pretty much everything has been discussed, and it's time to focus on next season, not rehash the past. So a separate SB49 area could make sense, for those who were deployed or otherwise MIA from .NET the last couple months.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Tical21":3fblyo3q said:
I went into the exercise trying to prove how inept our receivers were at getting open against man coverage. Unfortunately, I couldn't make that conclusion. We saw man, cover 1 a huge percentage of the time. Bevell called routes that consistently work against cover 1. There were windows to complete passes, sometimes guys were even wide open. Russell calmed down a bit, worked some comeback routes, and hit a couple fades, but that whole first quarter plus, where we didn't have any first downs, was almost exclusively on Russell not pulling the trigger or finding open guys. For example, 3rd and seven, we call slants. His primary target was the X and the X won his route, and was there for a routine, easy completion and first down. Russell chose to eat it. There was one example where ALL FOUR receivers in the route won their routes, two of them becoming WIDE open, and Russell chose to stand there and pat the ball.

Like I said, I was intending to make an argument that Russell didn't have anybody open, to try to justify the need for possibly overpaying for a WR, but for the most part, the WR's weren't the problem. Watch the all-22 for yourself if you don't believe me.

Thank you for this post. I would love to see that. I will watch the all-22 when I can arrange that. Is there a thread that mentions sign-up information and costs for this?

A lot of us put Russell Wilson on such a pedestal, including me most of the time, but there are times he is downright human, has bad games, fails to adjust to what the defense is giving, etc.

As well as Russell does with the read-option, it would be fascinating to seem how he did with a an up-tempo package like Oregon (and Philly) runs, where the offense essentially runs the same play repeatedly without huddling, and simply takes whatever option is open.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
RolandDeschain":3nt8707h said:
This is nowhere near the pain that XL was, Mark.

I'd watch it at some point. Really not comparable. Heartbreaking, but in a different and more legitimate way. Hard to explain, really.

This. So much this.

I've waded through half to three quarters of XL from time to time. Someday I'll watch it again in its entirety, probably when the pain subsides in another decade or so.

I haven't yet watched XLIX in its entirety either, but I've watched a few bits and pieces, and will probably go through it before the season begins. It's painful, but like Roland says, it's a completely different kind of pain. XL was a hose job from the get-go. This one was on us.

netskier

Reaction score
40 was the pain of suffering armed robbery, whereas 49 was the pain of an egregious blunder, by a family member, resulting in an accident causing the loss of my limb, or my nose, or my penis, or some other part of myself that I can barely live without. Anyhow, that is how it feels to me.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I have watched versions (NFLN's 30 minute, or the extended 2.5 hour version) of XLIX and I am totally cool with watching it. It's nothing like the travesty of XL*...Both teams were simply the two best in football going head-to-head, toe-to-toe. I see why it's already being called by some as one of the best Super Bowls of all time.

It's bittersweet obviously. I know what the ultimate outcome is, but I refuse to watch "the play" because we've already had "the play" pounded into our psyches enough to last two lifetimes.

I watch all the way up to Lynch's first and goal run to the 1 and then I shut it off.

For me, I guess the reason I can watch the game is because as heart-breaking, ball-busting as that final play is for all Seahawks fans, it's the comfort in knowing this team is still the best team in football, and likely will be one of the top teams for the next few years.

With Pete and John, the sky continues to be the limit with this team. If this was a last gasp, old warriors trying for their very last chance to win a ring kind of game, it would be much harder to deal with and watch. Since we all know we are still likely primed for championship-caliber runs for the next few years or more, it does make it easier to deal with the outcome.

At least that's how I feel.

TorontoHawk

Reaction score
RockHawk":24s1p6w7 said:
So I consider myself a very reasonable and logical person in everything I do, so it seems extremely ridiculous that I still haven't watched a single minute of my team in SuperBowl 49 after witnessing the game in person. Whenever I read about Chris Matthew's incredible game, or the 2 minute drive prior to both halves, I get myself psyched up to sit and watch it... but then I don't.

This isn't the first time. After sitting beside Aros and watching SBXL in Detroit, I've still never watched any part of that fiasco on film.

So what is it with my otherwise stable psyche that makes me unable to put aside the final outcome (especially the final play) and sit to enjoy the game for the excellent showing that it was? Is it just a small number of folks like me, or a larger section?

I can't watch both the SB losses, if they come up even on a commercial I quickly turn the channel. No use on salting that wound.

JonRud

Reaction score
I have never and will never watch any highlights from XL. About 2 weeks after XLIX I did watch the NFL Network Sound FX because I really wanted to hear our guys on the sideline during the game. Also I wanted to re-live those Chris Matthews catches.

I am still saving 'Inside the NFL' and 'NFL Turning Point' on my DVR from XLIX but I haven't watched them and might just erase them at some point.

seahawksny

Reaction score
I haven't watched it again, but for me it isn't as bad as XL, so I probably will at some point.[/quote]

NOTHING will ever be as bad as XL

XLIX was a team that played its heart out and just got beat. No shame

XL was a team that had game stolen from them from NFL. Quite possibly, the only fixed game in history where nobody will suffer any repercussions. ( not like Pete Rose)

seahawksfan28

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1engpcl0 said:
What are these "Seahawks" everyone keeps talking about

Unfortunately I have felt this way for a while as well.

Just not wanting to relive that final play. I am slowly coming back, but its hard.

Rainger

Reaction score
RockHawk":2o7xjqap said:
So I consider myself a very reasonable and logical person in everything I do, so it seems extremely ridiculous that I still haven't watched a single minute of my team in SuperBowl 49 after witnessing the game in person. Whenever I read about Chris Matthew's incredible game, or the 2 minute drive prior to both halves, I get myself psyched up to sit and watch it... but then I don't.

This isn't the first time. After sitting beside Aros and watching SBXL in Detroit, I've still never watched any part of that fiasco on film.

So what is it with my otherwise stable psyche that makes me unable to put aside the final outcome (especially the final play) and sit to enjoy the game for the excellent showing that it was? Is it just a small number of folks like me, or a larger section?
I am with you. I still have not watched it nor have I watched any NFL network or ESPN because I do not want to see any replays. I still cant get over this one. Hopefully SB 50 will erase all my pain.

drdiags

Reaction score
olyfan63":31uonm6v said:
... I will watch the all-22 when I can arrange that. Is there a thread that mentions sign-up information and costs for this?

NFL Rewind is how you get access to the All-22. Renewals are coming up in June/July. You probably can sign up for the remainder of this season at a greatly reduced price (I figure around $10 bucks but just guessing). The package at the beginning of the season runs ~$69 or so.

UPDATE: Looks like there is a 7-Day free trial until March 22nd, if you don't cancel after that the cost is $24 bucks.

https://gamerewind.nfl.com/nflgr/secure/packages?ttv=0&icampaign=Prod_GR_Nav

Tical21

Reaction score
drdiags":3idijz73 said:
olyfan63":3idijz73 said:
... I will watch the all-22 when I can arrange that. Is there a thread that mentions sign-up information and costs for this?

NFL Rewind is how you get access to the All-22. Renewals are coming up in June/July. You probably can sign up for the remainder of this season at a greatly reduced price (I figure around $10 bucks but just guessing). The package at the beginning of the season runs ~$69 or so.

UPDATE: Looks like there is a 7-Day free trial until March 22nd, if you don't cancel after that the cost is $24 bucks.

https://gamerewind.nfl.com/nflgr/secure/packages?ttv=0&icampaign=Prod_GR_Nav
Google Super Bowl XLIX All-22 and you'll be able to find a free stream out there.