Is Wilson still injured or just overweight?

lobohawk

Reaction score
Last year he focused on speed and the payoff wasn't that great. His elevated play was not dependent upon his speed. He also was still getting sacked heavily.

Wilson also is less prone to flee the pocket (unlike Boykin), so his hesitation while looking to pass may make him appear slower (reaction-wise). I also don't think he'll be back to full health until after the Super Bowl. Those leg injuries didn't disappear, regardless of his positive talk.

He spent more time working on his flexibility than speed this last off season.

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":9p9avrmm said:
Ya he needs to get on that 30/10 plan ASAP . Its pretty obvious he bulked up to help sustain the hits

I don't suppose the ankle and knee injury has nothing to do with him looking a bit slower this year?

U0ixdps

Yeah, that is a picture of a fat man.

AVL

Reaction score
Clocking preseason speed for an argument seems _______.

AgentDib

Reaction score
As far as this season goes we can all agree he's been much slower and the impact of that on the offense has been huge.

The possibility that RW could lose the brace and regain some speed would be the single largest improvement for the team's chances. As a result I think it's fair to speculate how likely that is even though conditioning stuff would normally be a topic for the off-season when we have better information.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
Jimjones0384":1qpmxuti said:
Hawk_Nation":1qpmxuti said:
Ya he needs to get on that 30/10 plan ASAP . Its pretty obvious he bulked up to help sustain the hits

I don't suppose the ankle and knee injury has nothing to do with him looking a bit slower this year?

U0ixdps

Yeah, that is a picture of a fat man.

When is this pic from?

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Year of The Hawk":2h6ruvx1 said:
Hawk_Nation":2h6ruvx1 said:

He probably was also limited in what he could do working out with his injuries as well. He did bulk up in off season but then got dinged with injuries. A one two punch for weight. Bulking up seems like a good idea but to me more injuries have nothing to do with bulk. In his case being more elusive would be more beneficial to staying healthy. Especially with this O line.

100% correct.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Looks like that picture was taken in late August

Here's a link about his workout

http://www.stack.com/a/how-did-russell- ... ing-jacked

Could having more arm muscle restrict his passes a bit? For example those overthrows that he's been doing alot more than usual. Could the bulk of the muscle affect his throwing motion that he was so used to before?

semiahmoo

Reaction score
theincrediblesok":35k0hf2f said:
Looks like that picture was taken in late August

Here's a link about his workout

http://www.stack.com/a/how-did-russell- ... ing-jacked

Could having more arm muscle restrict his passes a bit? For example those overthrows that he's been doing alot more than usual. Could the bulk of the muscle affect his throwing motion that he was so used to before?

True! When I saw him at TC, it was head-shaking time. He looked way bigger and much slower. Sort of bulldogging his way around the field instead of a cheetah. And when I saw him up close, dude had a double-chin!

I prefer leaner/lighter/faster RW, but he's the one with the big $$$$ deal, so I don't think he's losing any sleep over my opinion.

evergreen

Reaction score
Just watch the 3rd down play where he didn't make it... Any other year he makes it no problem... Boykin just juked the defender like Wilson used to do... His mobility is gone.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
evergreen":35hicd7f said:
Just watch the 3rd down play where he didn't make it... Any other year he makes it no problem... Boykin just juked the defender like Wilson used to do... His mobility is gone.

Boykin also ran out of bounds for a loss like Seneca used to do instead of throwing the ball away (all 5 OL still behind the line of scrimmage.)

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
Bitter":3193826t said:
evergreen":3193826t said:

Boykin also ran out of bounds for a loss like Seneca used to do instead of throwing the ball away (all 5 OL still behind the line of scrimmage.)

This isn't a competition between Russ and Boykin, it's betwenn Russ now and old, leaner Russ lol

Sealake80

Reaction score
Yup he has been injured and carrying weight slightly differently because of it. Still setting records. Still under valued, appreciated and estimated.

NOLAHawk

Reaction score
I wouldn't say he's undervalued. He took a pretty big chunk of the cap space so he should be making more of a difference as a single contributor.

When he was making 3rd round dollars, the Hawks had more assets in other places. Now they pay 4 or 5 guys on D all pro dollars but we pay 1 guy on offense world class dollars. It's not about under appreciation. Its about earning the money.

I don't think he can earn it with a Cam FigNewton build. He can earn it IMO as the lighter version.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

titan3131

Reaction score
I was called a crazy when I called out Russells weight gain.

He CLEARLY PUT ON 10+ lbs of fat. He bought a mansion and his family moved in (You know that mamma is home cooking him his favorite Mac n Cheese.)

Also he got serious with Ciara and has been eating out at restaurants ALOT. You have to change your lifestyle as you age its really not that hard. I am very disappointed that the Seahawks staff didnt step in and nip his fat ass into fast russell in the ota's.

pcbball12

Reaction score
titan3131":nic89uqo said:

He CLEARLY PUT ON 10+ lbs of fat. He bought a mansion and his family moved in (You know that mamma is home cooking him his favorite Mac n Cheese.)

Also he got serious with Ciara and has been eating out at restaurants ALOT. You have to change your lifestyle as you age its really not that hard. I am very disappointed that the Seahawks staff didnt step in and nip his fat ass into fast russell in the ota's.
He probably has put on 10 LB's, but I think it was intentional. Naturally his face will look a little fuller putting on weight, but i believe he put it on to try and be more durable to be able to take hits a little better. Ironically, this has been his most injury plagued season. My hunch is he upped his intake a decent amount to add some bulk, got injured, and could no longer maintain his normal workout regimen because of it.

As far as the rest of your post. How in the world would you know if ANY of that is true? Russ has shown to be nothing but the hardest working person in the building and someone who takes his job as serious as you can take it.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
RW has def. put on weight.

But it could be worse...

jameis-winston.jpg

SPIRITOF12

Reaction score
Wilson has now won more games in the first five years than any QB in NFL history. Yet some here seem to want to start Boykin and are transfixed on RW weight.

erik2690

Reaction score
titan3131":2b36taug said:

Just as an FYI Russ' mom does not live with him.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
Maybe his muscle gain is the difference between being injured and being done for the season?

brimsalabim

Reaction score
On the broadcast last night they said Russell went through some type of injury therapy that required him to be waken every hour and a half each night? Maybe that crazy crap has something to do with it?