Kam holding out for more money

kobebryant

Reaction score
Every year it is something with seemingly every team, Hawks included (Clem, Marshawn), and every year these things work themselves out and we've forgotten about it once the season begins.

This team is at a place now where Bennett and Kam can miss days of camp and it will have no effect on their performance during the regular season; in fact ,the extra reps for guys like Clark,Marsh, Shead, Murphy, Terrell, Wade and Bailey could be a positive.

Kam is a smart man and by no means a malcontent, and I don't question his rational or the legitimacy in his belief that he is underpaid (he is relative to his positions/peers) but the players have very very little leverage in these things.

JAGHAWK

Reaction score
SnoCoHawk":1vkrwaer said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/alexSSN/status/626440053326135296[/tweet]

Haha! This is funny.

Also, Kam is engaged?!

kobebryant

Reaction score
SnoCoHawk":65l1wwun said:
Really, Q13? :34853_doh:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Q13FOX/status/626434654468485121[/tweet]

That cosmetic surgery to look like Ricardo Lockette ain't cheap now.

ivotuk

Reaction score
kidhawk":1ykycej0 said:
dumbrabbit":1ykycej0 said:
Any chance these reports are exaggerated at all?

Always that possibility. We won't know until camp starts. Of course that's just a few days, so if he doesn't show up, then we know it was true. If he shows up without a new contract, then we know it was not true.

For what it's worth, here's the link to his contract details at spotrac

[urltargetblank]http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/seattle-seahawks/kam-chancellor/[/urltargetblank]

2015 - $4,550,000.00 + $100,000.00 Miscellaneous Bonus

2016 - $5,100,000.00

2017 - $6,800,000.00 + $325,000 roster bonus

That's good money, don't know what he's complaining about.

Hendo66

Reaction score
Wow!

A lot of players trying to strong arm the organization. I blame Ballers. :sarcasm_on:

Agree with the Irvin comment above, dude is a joke.

Hawks46

Reaction score
This is getting ridiculous. It's not like any of these guys are in their last year of their contracts.

On one hand, I want to say ship Bennett's ass to Oakland. He definitely seems to be stirring the pot. Problem is, he's too valuable at this point, and when he does show up to training camp, it shows the rest of the team that all he was really doing was making noise.

Irvin, on the other hand, needs to go. This kid is never going to grow up, and stop putting his foot in his mouth. Telling Kam to "get his money" is really ironic, as if he DID get his money, HIS money would end up coming from Irvin.

If Schneider was going to be really cold blooded, he could find Bennett's and Kam's best friend on the team (that isn't a significant starter) and trade him. Then tell them "you can have his money. Happy?"

It would make them look bad to their team mates on some levels.

CalgaryHawk

Reaction score
This hold-out makes the least sense to me compared to others (Bennett) who have threatened, because I think Kam's existing contract is already very good for a strong safety who mainly plays close to the line of scrimmage. Many people felt the Hawks overpaid Kam when he first signed the contract.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I hate to say it, but this is why you don't let your QB negotiations become contentious and stretch to August and beyond.

Everyone follows what the QB does. If they see reports that he isn't giving an inch, why should anyone else? QB sets the tone. This is why making that commitment early is crucial.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Unreal.........................I love Kam, but come on. I don't think it's possible to do Russell, BWagz and more money for him.

dumbrabbit

Reaction score
ivotuk":xpco5ejs said:
kidhawk":xpco5ejs said:
dumbrabbit":xpco5ejs said:
Any chance these reports are exaggerated at all?

Always that possibility. We won't know until camp starts. Of course that's just a few days, so if he doesn't show up, then we know it was true. If he shows up without a new contract, then we know it was not true.

For what it's worth, here's the link to his contract details at spotrac

[urltargetblank]http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/seattle-seahawks/kam-chancellor/[/urltargetblank]

2015 - $4,550,000.00 + $100,000.00 Miscellaneous Bonus

2016 - $5,100,000.00

2017 - $6,800,000.00 + $325,000 roster bonus

That's good money, don't know what he's complaining about.

He's only guaranteed a bit more than a quarter of his contract. I think he just wants more guaranteed money. Which of course start from Wilson's demands of more guaranteed money.

edogg23

Reaction score
This is exactly why it's almost impossible to remain on top in the NFL.

White Devil

Reaction score
For a group of players that constantly talk about brotherhood or teammates and love for each other, lately they've shown through actions, it's all a lie.

There's only 1 pie.

Everybody can't have the biggest slice.

The bigger the piece you take for yourself, the less you leave for your brothers.

These are facts. There is a salary cap in place. If there wasn't a salary cap, I could understand renegotiating 2 years into a 5 year contract. In the real world, however, a cap is in place and all 53 men and practice squad needs to be paid from that amount. No single team can have the highest paid player at every position on their roster. It isn't possible. It's in place to prevent that very outcome.

I love Kam, but I love the team more.

I love Russ, but I love the team more.

In Pete & John I trust to do what needs to be done to keep the cap under control and field the best team they possibly can, keeping the Seahawks a competitive team. In the end, that's all that matters. We finally have a front office that has proven they can build a team with their philosophy & coaching approach. That's, without a doubt, a harder combination to have and keep than individual players on the roster. Players will come and go. That's the brutal truth of the sport. Winning doesn't come from 1 single player.

ctrcat

Reaction score
edogg23":1vr0an2l said:

Disagree. It's why you have to draft like a madman nearly every year though.

AVL

Reaction score
At least the ink is dry on his contract. John needs to quit forgiving these hold out fines, sad to say.

Rat

Reaction score
Good for Kam. It's a violent sport and he hits as hard as anyone. He should get all the money he can now.

I hope he gets it, even if it requires a holdout.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
jdemps":2a1gu1pq said:
Greenhell":2a1gu1pq said:
Skip camp altogether. Just start the season already.

No way. I derive no small amount of pleasure going through the preseason gametape to look at our backups, argue about who's going to make the 53, etc. etc.. It also means I still have 5 months of football to enjoy vs. this barren wasteland of conjecture and sadness. Right now I'm stuck playing madden to get my fix... and daddy needs his fix...
Yeah, and I can't hardly wait until NEXT off-season, and more greedy demands to begin.

edogg23

Reaction score
ctrcat":12rlhhyr said:
edogg23":12rlhhyr said:

Disagree. It's why you have to draft like a madman nearly every year though.

I would agree with that. You have to be willing to let good players walk too that you know you can replace with the draft. That's why signings like K.J make me scratch my head a little.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Why is everyone blaming Wilson, Lynch started the ride. If JS was to stick to his guns this wouldn't have happened. It went from Lynch to Bennet and now Kam, but yet it's Wilson's fault? So your blaming the guy who haven't signed a big contract to guys who have signed theirs and now all of a sudden wants more money, regardless of it's more guarantees or not. Has anyone ever figured that maybe that's Wilson is trying to get the biggest money as he can so shizz like this wouldn't happen? If Wilson was to do the same thing he would have more people angry and mad more than he does now.

This is what happens when your whole crew is good and everyone think they deserve more money, welcome to the salary cap era folks, this just happens to be our first time dealing with all this since we have a really really good team.

northseahawk

Reaction score
I think the Karry Williams signing for that much has pissed ever one off. Every year, this organization makes a single messed up deal that the other take to heart. i.e. Percy, Williams, C.b Jesus, etc.
I think they need to just stay away from trades and signings. Obviously, it's not JS' s strength. Stay with development and keeping own happy.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
This is an open letter hypothetically delivered in 2017 to Russell, Michael Bennett, Marshawn, Bruce Irvin and Kam.... (others can be added later as appropriate)

The title of your homework assignment is... "How we let it slip away"

In 100 words or less, provide your view of how your actions as individuals affected the team's deteriorating chemistry that started the downhill slide of the Seattle Seahawks from prominence starting in 2015.