Poll: How are you feeling after Tennessee loss?

How you feeling?

• Positive. Everything is going to be fine

Votes: 31 15.9%
  • Neutral. Could be better. Could be worse. Meh

Votes: 43 22.1%
  • Worried. I'm unneasy about our championship chances

Votes: 38 19.5%
  • Depressed. This team has let me down

Votes: 24 12.3%
  • Angry. I hate the direction our team is going

Votes: 53 27.2%
  • I don't care. I've been a fan since '76, I've seen it all.

Votes: 9 4.6%
  • Ask me tomorrow.

Votes: 11 5.6%

• Total voters

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Penalties are killing this team. For a pretty veteran team, they sure make a lot of rookie mistakes. Take away the penalties from yesterday's game and the outlook is different. The biggest issue is the penalties are on the defensive side and are being committed by the leaders....Sherman, Bennett, Avril, etc. It's happening regularly each week and has been for the past few years. They are not being held accountable for these penalties and it's hurting the team. As bad as the Offense is I'd bet they have committed less penalties than the D.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
After the Tennessee game, I'm feeling pretty relaxed. This team isn't winning the Super Bowl, and probably isn't winning the NFCW, probably our only chance to make the playoffs.

So, I'm pretty relaxed now. Just get to sit back and enjoy some football. Shame Pete/Bevel/Cable couldn't, at least, put a more interesting product on the field.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Of course not, but watching the first three games pretty much turned off a mental switch in my mind. It was the expectation that we were going to put it together this year, and be the dominant team we have the players to be.

Even though I had us being at 3-3 going into week 7, I didn't expect the kind of absolutely fruitless effort we have seen over the last 3 weeks. Unless there are drastic improvements (far from impossible), we aren't going to the playoffs.

I don't know how to adequately explain it, after last week, I just feel more relaxed. Short of a remarkable turn around, I see the season shaking out like this.

vs Colts - Win
@ Rams - Loss
@ Giants - ????
vs Texans - Loss
vs Redskins - ????
@ Cardinals - Loss
vs Falcons - Loss
@ 49ers - Win
vs Eagles - Loss
@ Jaguars - ????
vs Rams - Loss
@ Cowboys - Loss
vs Cardinals - Win (if we have anything to play for)

At best, I see us with 7-8 wins, and the Rams with 8-9 wins, and I'm ok with that, and can just enjoy watching the games.

Now, if the line miraculously gets it together, Wilson starts throwing on target during the first 20 minutes of the game, and the running game starts firing, I will be back in playoff hunt mode where the games actually matter. Short of that, it will just be fun to watch the games.

Of course, I'm also the guy who took the Raven's last week, so my prognostic abilities are highly questionable.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
bigskydoc":3io2m67t said:
vs Colts - Win
@ Rams - Loss
@ Giants - ????
vs Texans - Loss
vs Redskins - ????
@ Cardinals - Loss
vs Falcons - Loss
@ 49ers - Win
vs Eagles - Loss
@ Jaguars - ????
vs Rams - Loss
@ Cowboys - Loss
vs Cardinals - Win (if we have anything to play for).

Has anyone in the history of fandom ever done this and been even remotely accurate?

Did anyone last year have us tying the Cards on the road? How bout going to Foxboro and beating the Patriots?

Predicting wins and losses in the NFL is the most useless exercise there is to engage in as a fan.

I was a little jumpy yesterday after that loss, I'll admit. But I've calmed down today and am more positive. Going on the road and beating a good Packers and a good Titans team was a tall order to begin with, so I'm not overly freaking out about being 1-2 as some. Not sure I like HOW we lost? But none the less, still optimistic.

TriCHawk

Reaction score
Popeyejones":4g4fu4ga said:
The Seahawks also started last year going 1-2, and then finished the year at 10-5-1 while winning the division again.

Sure, the Rams are 2-1 right now, but they also started last year at 3-1 before ending up at 4-12.

Yep. This is why I'm not worried. I'm confident the offense will find their rhythm, and the D won't be on the field so much. I think they'll turn it around. And if they don't, well that's out of our control... just enjoy football.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Of course it's a bit of a ridiculous exercise, only marginally better than eyeballing it andsaying, "eh, I think we are good for 10-11 wins this season." As the season progresses, teams make changes, injuries happen, and teams tend to regress to their mean.

My sense is that we should be looking at a 9-10 win season, but when I lay it out, I just don't see where those wins are coming from. Does anyone honestly see this team beating Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, or Philly? Does anyone see us sweeping the NFCW?

In 2015, I did pretty good with this, picking the Hawks to go into the bye at 4-4 before coming on strong at the end of the season because I felt the line would start weak, and would likely improve as the season wore on.

I don't have that same sense that we can improve our line this year. Britt is playing great, and is probably at his ceiling. Joeckel is who he is, and is probably at his ceiling. Ifedi has the foundation, and the potential to improve, but he isn't ready to be a NFL level tackle yet. Our best hope is that he reaches Gilliam level before the season is over. Odihambo has no business as a tackle. Hopefully, Tobin steps up. That is probably the best chance of improving on my outlook. Aboushi is who he is, probably at his ceiling, but ahead of Glowinski. Pocic is a center. Another guy who will be playing out of position, if he even sees the field.

I'm just not hopeful that this line can get up to average or slightly below. We need them to do that to boost the probability of a 10-11 win season. Judging by evaluating the individual players, I'm the least optimistic about our line that I have ever been in the Carroll/Cable era, and, in years past, I've tended to be one of the more optimistic people here, regarding the line.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
I still don't think we're even worried without the EIGHT crucial drops we've seen the last two games. Completely different attitude on the board.

So the only thing I'm asking myself is, do I expect the drops to cease?

adeltaY

Reaction score
LOL this team is going 4-4 at home? Get out of here with that nonsense, it would be catastrophic if that happened and I'm convinced we're at that point yet. Houston still has a rookie QB and their line isn't that great. Our OL will get dominated but who knows, Russ might turn in a heroic performance and carry us to victory. The Eagles had to kick a 61 yard FG to beat the Giants, whose OL is atrocious. We were afraid they were going to wreck us last year at home but Russ did work against them. The Falcons could easily beat us, but we'll see.

Rams are seriously overrated at this point. Their defense has looked awful so far and the best defense they've faced is a worn out niners squad on TNF. They could sustain it, but they probably aren't there yet. They've beaten us at home once in twelve years or something.

netskier

Reaction score
Josea16":1t6z7krj said:
Maelstrom787":1t6z7krj said:
Josea16":1t6z7krj said:
FlyingGreg":1t6z7krj said:
A lot of us have seen this coming, so not mad at all. It is what is is.

Poor drafts and free agency decisions set us up for failure. Some choose to believe in the "sun will come out tomorrow", and that's ok. I don't begrudge anyone their opinion.

But, we are reaping what we sowed. We have shattered our former elite QB and we expose our defense way too much.

Mostly, I just miss being excited to watch the Seahawks play. They are painful and boring,l and I no longer look forward to 3 hours of this garbage. That's the worst part.

Schedule wise? I had them at 1-2 after Week 3. But what I am seeing matters more than W-L. We will still likely win the West and go to playoffs, but we don't have what it takes to win on the road or win the Conference.
Wow, optimistic from where I sit. Though being in Missouri I don't see the debacle live. I don't buy Wilson as being David Carr'd whatever the hell that even means.

Jim Plunklett was on worse teams for years then David Carr and won a Superbowl. Alex Smith basically the same but right this second on a team that can and will retire Tom Brady and most any NFC team beyond Atlanta if that.

Give Russell the tools and it is ON! (An actual average power OL not ZBS shite crap OL).

Do you hate the ZBS because we can't execute it, or do you actually think the scheme is inferior?
Given the kind of offensive line players coming into the NFL currently it's an inferior scheme because it requires 5 guys to be together 4=5 years minimum to really make it work and that just isn't going to happen anymore given the lack of talent at the position league wide. Last year's FA period was just the beginning of the end if something doesn't change concerning practice time and development opportunities.

Here's an idea. If what you say is true about ZBS team development requiring 4-5 yrs minimum, then shouldn't the offensive linemen in the league be polled about their desire to increase their practice time and development opportunities? After all they want to succeed. And success increases with successful blocks. And unsuccessful blocks lead to defenders getting by, and a lot of chaos ensues, and people get hurt, as for example Britt being pushed, and rolling over Fant's leg, and what this has done to this year's offensive line.

It seems like the CBA should be adjusted as you suggest. Polling would be a step in this direction

netskier

Reaction score
hawkfan68":121nndsl said:
Penalties are killing this team. For a pretty veteran team, they sure make a lot of rookie mistakes. Take away the penalties from yesterday's game and the outlook is different. The biggest issue is the penalties are on the defensive side and are being committed by the leaders....Sherman, Bennett, Avril, etc. It's happening regularly each week and has been for the past few years. They are not being held accountable for these penalties and it's hurting the team. As bad as the Offense is I'd bet they have committed less penalties than the D.

I think that too many of the penalties are due to mental errors. Sherman getting three penalties on ONE PLAY is inexcusable, and he is a very bright guy, so he has no excuse. That negated Kam's interception. Loss of a turnover, figuratively kicking the rest of the team in the nuts, and particularly the defense in the nuts. Is he crazy? Depends on what you mean by "crazy".

Sherm's mental errors are not due to what we call "regular intelligence", but instead are due to low Emotional Intelligence, the so called EQ. Sherm's EQ is very low.

The prescription for this is to send him to a Clinical Psychologist immediately for remedial learning, particularly Anger Management.. This is an emergency, unless they have a plan to sit him for someone else, which seems unlikely. Pete is into Psychology, so should be open to this.

Avril's "blocking" Rodgers in the back was just stupidly taking a chance. I know it was all borderline, but just don't give the refs an easy way to influence the game.

Pete and the coaches need to coach the players to try harder to avoid mental errors, of all kinds.

StoneCold

Reaction score
Feel ok about the team. So far nothing to write home about. More concerned with the fans. Some of them need counseling.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Not sure why 4-4 at home seems so ridiculous. Despite the Seahawks' aura of in invincibility at the Clink, it's only one game worse than 2015. We have a better defense than 2015, but a worse offense and a much, much worse o-line. Now, if Cable pulls a rabbit out of his hat, then I think we still get those 9-10 wins that I expected at the beginning of the season, and into last week's game. However, if the line doesn't improve, I think we won't get there, and we won't be NFCW champs.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Seanhawk":ec4vtl04 said:
I'm extremely frustrated. The offense is anemic and our defense keeps us in the games. However, I would love to see some stats on when the defense gives up points. It just feels like they take a step back when the offense finally gets going. Yesterday, a late FG immediately after the offense scored a TD to take the lead. A TD immediately following the TD drive coming out of the half.

Stupid pre-halftime clock management on our coaching staff's part cost us those 3 points by Tennessee just before half. 1st and goal from the 5, with 2 minutes left, and we run 13 seconds off the clock on 3 plays, leaving Tenn nearly two minutes to move the football? Just one running play, OK if it scores, but it probably wont, would have run 40+ seconds off the clock, and left Tenn with under a minute at the end of the half. How could Bevell and Pete not see this, and conserve clock for our opponents? Stupid!! Frustrating!!

NOLAHawk

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2qboylkn said:
The Seahawks also started last year going 1-2, and then finished the year at 10-5-1 while winning the division again.

Sure, the Rams are 2-1 right now, but they also started last year at 3-1 before ending up at 4-12.
Yea. But they beat the hawks in a lackluster exhibition

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

rjdriver

Reaction score
Before the start of the season, I started this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=137449

It was titled "Which should win game will we lose" or something to that effect.

A lot of us, including myself, said that there would be no surprise if we lost to the titans. I suppose it's the way we are losing as opposed to the loss itself. I can't believe the ineptitude of this O-Line. I knew they wouldn't be good, but I had no idea they would be historically bad.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
StoneCold":5lk2gnzg said:
Feel ok about the team. So far nothing to write home about. More concerned with the fans. Some of them need counseling.

Spot on.

It's far too early to write this team off. Tough conditions against a legitimately tough team lead to a 6 point loss in a game MANY thought we would lose anyway. Unfortunately this was one of those patented Carroll-Hawks games where our team stumbles the entire first half and the rest of the game snowballs in the other team's favor.

The o-line has progressed game-to-game (and no I'm not even in the realm of content with their play), Russell is seemingly getting more dialed in, and some of our rookies are getting great experience (specifically Naz Jones, Shaq and Carson).

If last week's game was played in a more "neutral" environment (aka not 100+ on the field) and our offense squeaks out another 10-15 snaps in the first half, it's unlikely the defense melts and falls over like they did. The plus side of Sunday's game is that it provided GREAT conditioning for our guys that made it through the 4th. I expect to see them flying around on Sunday night.