Poll: Most Explainable Reason For This Season

What do you think is the MAIN reason for this subpar season?

• Poor coaching/scheme

Votes: 52 48.6%
  • Core players have lost the fire

Votes: 8 7.5%
  • Pete's messaging has gone stale

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Injuries

Votes: 38 35.5%
  • Other (Read my comments)

Votes: 7 6.5%

• Total voters

getnasty

Reaction score
Not even close it's injuries. People talk Sherm, Kam, Cliff, but one overlooked one is Chris Carson he was solid in the little time he was playing. If we're healthy like 2013 and 14 i wouldn't be surprised if we win 12 games.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
2015, 2016, 2017 seasons are hard to distinguish anymore with our running game progressively getting worse each year.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Seahawks have never looked the same since the loss to the Patriots in the SB.

cymatica

Reaction score
Not acquiring players that match your philosophy on offense while not adjusting to those changes. The scheme may work with a decent oline and blocking tight end.

Stupid:
- Picking Harvin over Tate in this scheme
- Trading center for pass catching TE in this scheme
- Losing Evans on a line with no xp in this scheme
- Keeping Lacy over anyone

Steve2222

Reaction score
hawkfan68":1zjx20lg said:
Steve2222":1zjx20lg said:
hawkfan68":1zjx20lg said:
Good coaching can overcome injuries...see Minnesota Vikings. I agree with most on here that it was a mix of injuries and poor coaching/decision making that played a significant role for the results this season. That loss to the Redskins is looming large right now. I had feeling that loss would be the one to come back and bite them. That should have been a gimme win for the Seahawks. Poor execution and decision making cost them that one. For whatever reason, they have been playing poorly at the Clink. They are 4-3 so far and it's been a long time since they lost 3 games in a season at the Clink. Win one or two of those, they would still be playing for the #2 seed.

Name the players the vikings lost of Kam,, Sherman, ETs, and Avril’s caliber. All I’m aware of is mediocre Bradford and a rookie HB.

You missed the point. The point is Vikings were able to compensate for their injuries through good coaching, game plans, etc. While the quantity is not the same, Seahawks have more injuries. The quality of players the Vikings lost on offense is significant. The rookie rb was leading or among the leaders in rushing when he got hurt. Their starting QB was Teddy Bridgewater, they lost him then they lost Bradford, so Keenum is their 3rd QB. They have the 2nd best record in the NFL. If the Seahawks lost RW for the season, are you confident Seahawk offensive coaching and game planning could overcome that loss? That's the point.

I didn’t miss the point....

Bridgewater not Bradford we’re ever more than league average QBs. The Vikings are built on controlling the clock on offense and playing lights out D. They can do this because they have a more than adequate OL and a HEALTHY, star studded young defense. Dalvin Cook, though he looked good, was not a star HB when he got hurt. Latavious Murray is a more than capable HB behind that line.

The two situations couldn’t be less comparable.

getnasty

Reaction score
Steve2222":3mh7ay28 said:
hawkfan68":3mh7ay28 said:
Steve2222":3mh7ay28 said:
hawkfan68":3mh7ay28 said:
Good coaching can overcome injuries...see Minnesota Vikings. I agree with most on here that it was a mix of injuries and poor coaching/decision making that played a significant role for the results this season. That loss to the Redskins is looming large right now. I had feeling that loss would be the one to come back and bite them. That should have been a gimme win for the Seahawks. Poor execution and decision making cost them that one. For whatever reason, they have been playing poorly at the Clink. They are 4-3 so far and it's been a long time since they lost 3 games in a season at the Clink. Win one or two of those, they would still be playing for the #2 seed.

Name the players the vikings lost of Kam,, Sherman, ETs, and Avril’s caliber. All I’m aware of is mediocre Bradford and a rookie HB.

You missed the point. The point is Vikings were able to compensate for their injuries through good coaching, game plans, etc. While the quantity is not the same, Seahawks have more injuries. The quality of players the Vikings lost on offense is significant. The rookie rb was leading or among the leaders in rushing when he got hurt. Their starting QB was Teddy Bridgewater, they lost him then they lost Bradford, so Keenum is their 3rd QB. They have the 2nd best record in the NFL. If the Seahawks lost RW for the season, are you confident Seahawk offensive coaching and game planning could overcome that loss? That's the point.

I didn’t miss the point....

Bridgewater not Bradford we’re ever more than league average QBs. The Vikings are built on controlling the clock on offense and playing lights out D. They can do this because they have a more than adequate OL and a HEALTHY, star studded young defense. Dalvin Cook, though he looked good, was not a star HB when he got hurt. Latavious Murray is a more than capable HB behind that line.

The two situations couldn’t be less comparable.

Yup far from Apple's to Apple's now if the Vikings lost Griffin, Rhoades and Harrison Smith then we'd be talking Apple's to Apple's.

Seymour

Reaction score
getnasty":1eudpwrd said:
Not even close it's injuries. People talk Sherm, Kam, Cliff, but one overlooked one is Chris Carson he was solid in the little time he was playing. If we're healthy like 2013 and 14 i wouldn't be surprised if we win 12 games.

And yet we lose to the Packers, Titans, Redskins (combined record of .500 :roll: ), and squeeze by the 9ers by 3 at home WITH Kam, Sherman, and Avril.

Excuses excuses. Playing the Carson card is worthless when players we cut go on to be top 10 RB's on another team that also was said to have oline problems themselves (see Alex Collins).

That is just another sign this coaching staff is blind (or powerless to fix) to their oline problems, and want to point the finger everywhere else.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
The loss of the number of key starters (3 Pro Bowl quality players and the rookie RB who was looking impressive) the team has had to work around is certainly a huge factor.

These losses have also put the team in a difficult cap position, but the abject continuing total failure of the running game indicates the weakness of coaching as the Oline continues to be weak and there is no player able to make a difference running the ball. Fire Cable expect a prompt improvement.

There is no single factor and it is a combination of injuries and poor coaching, skewed towards poor coaching..

Cyrus12

Reaction score
I knew most fans would blame injuries...even if healthy this team with the way it's coached and shitty o line and dreadful run game doesn't get passed the first playoff game. The ride is over until some changes are made. If we had the same roster next year I doubt they win 8 games.

niveky

Reaction score
As I mentioned in another thread, it seems like the biggest problem of all the problems as I have seen things continue on is that our offensive line has not really been any better In the years since the Super Bowls. We have heard all sorts of positive coach speak and the like. Pete has thrown his support behind Cable all these years in developing the o-Line. I mean I seem to remember that Carroll and Schneider needed to trim roster fat from somewhere and there were conversations with Cable, at least the implications was there, about if he could work with the right kind of lower round draft talent to develop the o-line and make it work instead of spending more team resources on what would be perceived as better talent in those o-line positions.

From all indications I remember, Pete took him at his word, and Cable was made assistant head coach along with being the o-line coordinator. It has just not been working. I am very encouraged by Fant, and glad he finally gave Britt a try at center where we all have been pleasantly surprised I think, but overall I think it has been the most disappointing aspect of this team for me. I think that Pete has stuck with Cable on this for far too long and at some point it should have become apparent that trying to make sub-par talent plug in and develop has just not worked out. Thinking about it logically, when you want a strong run game, you need your offensive line be able to do it's job or it won't matter much who it is at rb is behind the o-line. The roster quality from top to bottom has still been good enough to play at a high level, but I feel it is the single most glaring problem with the roster that is impeding further progress. Combined with the injuries this year, it was just too much to overcome their bad o-line.

Wilson is amazing, but there is just only so much one player can do. He has certainly done everything he can this year. I mean his percentage of the offensive workload has been historic and that is not even debatable. Even running for his life most every game, he still makes plenty of magic happen. This is the NFL though, and you can't expect one player on offense to make up for so many deficiencies at other spots on the roster. Aside from Center, and possible Left Tackle next year the O-line situation is pretty horrible. Even if Brown is not retained I am pretty optimistic about Fant, and if they do retain him I feel like Brown on the Left Tackle and Fant on the Right Tackle spot would help the o-line quite a bit, but I feel it is time for Cable to exit the building and get someone else in that can evaluate o-line talent better and/or be able to tell Pete "hey, this is what we need to do, but we can't do it with your philosophy as it is." If that were to happen it though it would require Pete to adapt his philosophy to the needs of the new O-line coach if they pulled one in.

johnnyfever

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1m0ic1v4 said:
Hard to be a good coach when injuries have deprived you of both a running game and a defense, so I'm gonna put injuries over poor coaching, though both were a factor.

We haven't had a running game all season, was the same pre and post injury. We lost most of our games before the major injuries.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
As of this post Poor Coaching/Scheme is leading with 52% of the vote with injuries a distant second at 35%. That honestly surprises me. I thought injuries would have the lead with Poor Coaching trailing. Very interesting.

BigMeach

Reaction score
Where's the Blair Walsh option?

*edit*

I now see the other post with Walsh as an honorable mention. I could make the argument it's a completely different season without Walsh though, should be an option.

niveky

Reaction score
BigMeach":2nacg1mg said:

*edit*

I now see the other post with Walsh as an honorable mention. I could make the argument it's a completely different season without Walsh though, should be an option.

That is a very. very legit point. There were some games in there we would have won if he makes them, despite other mistakes

BigMeach

Reaction score
niveky":1xvktw07 said:
BigMeach":1xvktw07 said:

*edit*

That is a very. very legit point. There were some games in there we would have won if he makes them, despite other mistakes

One could make the argument mistakes happened because there was no trust for Walsh also. Thus he lost us more points than just the missed field goals. The Washington game we went for 2 2 point conversions we never go for as an example. Or the weird 7 second left in half try to get a better field goal play to lose out on point altogether.

Once the team/coaches lost confidence in him it completely changed our game plan. We've always a team highly reliant on field goals and special team in general.

niveky

Reaction score
BigMeach":3vnzpfpp said:
niveky":3vnzpfpp said:
BigMeach":3vnzpfpp said:

*edit*

That is a very. very legit point. There were some games in there they would have won if he makes them, despite other mistakes

One could make the argument mistakes happened because there was no trust for Walsh also. Thus he lost us more points than just the missed field goals. The Washington game we went for 2 2 point conversions we never go for as an example. Or the weird 7 second left in half try to get a better field goal play to lose out on point altogether.

Once the team/coaches lost confidence in him it completely changed our game plan. We've always a team highly reliant on field goals and special team in general.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Ok, Yes or No....., Tom has a handle on the problems with his O-Line and is on the cusp of making a miraculous turnaround.
Yes or No.....,Darryl Bevell knows how to DESIGN PLAYS that account for crappy Coached O-Linemen.
Yes or No....., Injuries to several All Pro Defensive Players has LITTLE to NO effect on the design of Defensive Schemes.
Yes or No....., Russell Wilson has been covering the Coaches ASSES with his never say die attitude, and OUTSTANDING PLAY.
Yes or No....., Russell Wilson can keep on covering for their inadequacies...INDEFINETLY.

niveky

Reaction score
scutterhawk":10ett77f said:
Ok, Yes or No....., Tom has a handle on the problems with his O-Line and is on the cusp of making a miraculous turnaround.
Yes or No.....,Darryl Bevell knows how to DESIGN PLAYS that account for crappy Coached O-Linemen.
Yes or No....., Injuries to several All Pro Defensive Players has LITTLE to NO effect on the design of Defensive Schemes.
Yes or No....., Russell Wilson has been covering the Coaches ASSES with his never say die attitude, and OUTSTANDING PLAY.
Yes or No....., Russell Wilson can keep on covering for their inadequacies...INDEFINETLY.

#1 no
#2 Jeckyl and Hyde
#3 Are you implying that yes we agree with this statement? I would say that this statement is false.
#4 Yes
#5 No, we have seen he is not always able to do so. He can make up for a LOT, but when all the crap piles up together he can't get through it all himself, most of the time anyways. Usually he can overcome a lot that happens though, but it also leads to him having off games from having to shoulder so much more of the load with no help.